One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
mgb327

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by mgb327 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:18 pm

Dangit! I just popped over here after being "away" a while. I see you all are staying busy....I guess I better get off my ass and sort out my shit. I think I have everything I need, I pick up a thing or 2 a day as I am out and about. I guess my reluctance to dive right in and start packing is to hold back my excitement and sleeplessness over the fact I leave here in 8 FUCKING DAYS!!!!!!! I am ready.

8)
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Foxfur
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/[email protected]: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Sweetpea's Aunt Flo will be arriving a few days after I leave for the playa...

Mish gave me a 12 x 12 section of radar scattering desert tan camo net. Just perfect for covering the trailer of awesomeness.
In the same box was a bunch of equestrian outfits from her riding days. I notified her immediately and said I'd get them back in her hands today. She said I should find someone who can use them or drop them at Goodwill...
Looks like I've got me some new playawear.
Now I need to find someone to ride :shock:
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:50 pm

Yeah, you're going to be real happy with those. I wonder what happens if you show up at pony girl camp in those....

My thing--picked up chair with widget on it..
Had hoses put on the radiator.
Well, two will have to do...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:16 pm

Worked on my PBR and overproof rum tolerance for 4 days.

Realized I have to ship my UPS stuff to the hotel in two days and spent hours packing.

Was surprised that my two planned boxes may actuually fit in four.

Had some more PBR to celebrate 8 days and a wakeup till departure.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

piehole
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: MiscreAnts
Bants
Glitter Apocalypse

Post by piehole » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:02 pm

Made the last big payment on the credit card to make room for the truck rental.
It seems like a few of us east coasters are all leaving for the west on the same day! Aug 22nd.
is that when you leave dab?
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:24 pm

I practiced napping in 107 F heat. A bucket of water, a small fan, and a handfull of washcloths were all I needed.
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:51 am

piehole wrote:Made the last big payment on the credit card to make room for the truck rental.
It seems like a few of us east coasters are all leaving for the west on the same day! Aug 22nd.
is that when you leave dab?
We leave at 4AM on the 23rd. I have too have set aside one card just to cover the truck rental.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

SquirrelHead
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by SquirrelHead » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:31 am

I set aside a card for nothing but the truck rental too. I fly into Reno on Saturday the 25th and stay the night at the Sands. Then it is off on the long drive. I picked up the elastic I needed to make the tutus and some pattern material to get my jacket finished. More EL wire is scheduled to be delivered along with the battery packs I need for the RGB LEDs. Only 12 days left until I leave. Where did the time go? :shock:
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's like a flamingo circle jerk up in here. - BoyScoutGirl

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:43 am

Squirrelhead we'll also be among the large group of burners taking over the Sands that night (yay!!) Maybe I should wear my 2011 M&G nametag for folks to recognize me? (or maybe not?)

Got 2 more of the 6 x-mas lights we ordered...both did not work...sigh. Contacted the seller to see if there is anything that could be done but I doubt there is enough time...should I bring them and see if the EL-wire camp guys can help fix them??
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

wh..sh

Post by wh..sh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:01 am

lazerfox wrote:Squirrelhead we'll also be among the large group of burners taking over the Sands that night (yay!!) Maybe I should wear my 2011 M&G nametag for folks to recognize me? (or maybe not?)
I think it would be more fun if squirrelhead had to ask every one "Are you lazerfox?". Makes for fun conversations :)

Edit: Great, now I have an idea for ice break!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:02 am

lazerfox wrote:Squirrelhead we'll also be among the large group of burners taking over the Sands that night (yay!!) Maybe I should wear my 2011 M&G nametag for folks to recognize me? (or maybe not?)

Got 2 more of the 6 x-mas lights we ordered...both did not work...sigh. Contacted the seller to see if there is anything that could be done but I doubt there is enough time...should I bring them and see if the EL-wire camp guys can help fix them??
lazerfox, are those battery-powered LED xmas lights? If they're the ones with the tiny dot bulb I may be able to get you some. Our local hardware has some. Let me know.

We'll be staying at the Sands too but not until Monday night (have a late entry this year). Jealous of y'all! Have fun but watch out for the roulette wheel!

My Stuff Today: Sewing, sewing, sewing!!! Gotta catch up on my own clothing projects then back to the final 4 water costumes.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:55 am

FIGJAM wrote:I would use lime instead just cause I like lime.

Good canned roast beef makes great shredded beef tacos.

I would use the ready made shells if you can store them where they won't get broken, and if they do, make taco salad. 8)

How many are you cooking for?

I would plan on 3 apiece.
Hey Figgy, where would I find canned roast beef? Can you PM me a brand name? I've never seen it before. Thanks.

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:57 am

wh..sh wrote:I think it would be more fun if squirrelhead had to ask every one "Are you lazerfox?". Makes for fun conversations :)

Edit: Great, now I have an idea for ice break!
I approved to have my name used in this fashion!!
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

Kire

Post by Kire » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:42 am

stayed fairly bust since last post:
over the weekend i got a lot of biking in (30+ miles) while i traveled around to different thrifts and sales and picked up a few more things and accessories (found a smaller hello kitty tin for Foxfur, if you want it and i can probably get you a pic later). Picked up one of Ratty's marvelous tutus at the thing she had. Got some new googles. organized and assembled outfits to see what else i needed (wanted).

yesterday i finished a bunch of the necklaces i've been working on.
IMG_0946-3.jpg
this morning i ordered some more lights, more el wire, memory cards and some camera stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wh..sh

Post by wh..sh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:48 am

lazerfox wrote: I approved to have my name used in this fashion!!
:) I was actually going to walk up to strangers and ask if they are "rattlesnake bananahammock" or something of that sort.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:52 am

My first attempt at embroidery since grade school. My sister and mother have spent countless hours in trying times stitching... I see how it helps now.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

tahiti_treat
Camp Name: NoTown

Post by tahiti_treat » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:10 pm

Made the armpit waxing appointment. Not looking forward to it...

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:27 pm

early arrival pass PDF just arrived....

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Frida Be You & Me

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:19 pm

Kire wrote: yesterday i finished a bunch of the necklaces i've been working on.
IMG_0946-3.jpg
Beautiful!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

stinkyfoot

Post by stinkyfoot » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:19 pm

Put together the first aid box. I think this will end up being pretty important.

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:14 pm

Hahahaha Elorrum, you bad ass you!

Kire, those are really nice!!!

* Replaced failed snaping straps on vinyl spats with elastic straps.

* Hemmed mummu I hacked off (does that make it a mimmi?)

* Finished contrasting bloomers for under mimmi (except for some hand work I'll do at a crafty gathering this weekend)

* Cut out final dress I'm making for this year, sewed 1/2 the bloomers for that one.

All-in-all a good day. Getting shit done really helps reduce the stress! So does visiting this thread! ;-0

Foxfur
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/[email protected]: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:07 pm

Kire wrote:stayed fairly bust since last post:
over the weekend i got a lot of biking in (30+ miles) while i traveled around to different thrifts and sales and picked up a few more things and accessories (found a smaller hello kitty tin for Foxfur, if you want it and i can probably get you a pic later). Picked up one of Ratty's marvelous tutus at the thing she had.
I can haz kitteh? YAYYYY! *Smooch!*
You got to see Ratty? Jealous...
Simon of the Playa wrote:early arrival pass PDF just arrived....

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Simon says Weeeee?
I'm running out to buy a lotto ticket RIGHT NOW! :lol:

Picked up 10 more cans of khaki spray paint to finish the trailer paint job. 3 cans of bright chrome paint for the roof.
I borrowed Espressodude's metal stencil set for authentic markings.
I forgot to buy flat yellow and brown paint. I need them for authentic markings after turning the awning carrier tube mounted to the top of the trailer into an an anti-aircraft missile launcher...

Found a bitchin pair of goggles at Goodwill. Also found the sweetest pair of shiny gold hot pants but the were to small, waaaah! God they were hot!

Been working in the sun during the hottest part of the day for the last two weeks. Totally conditioned. And so well tanned...
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

Gonzo Frothwood

Post by Gonzo Frothwood » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:25 pm

Oh yah Foxfur. I'm wet.
"There is nothing so over-estimated as a piece of ass, and nothing so under-estimated as a good and greasy shit." Boneman Johnson

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:58 pm

tahiti_treat wrote:Made the armpit waxing appointment. Not looking forward to it...
pussy!! :D try tweezing each hair out.. yeah did that to my sister last weekend cause cold wax is shit. I used to was mine all the time. Its cake! lol
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:37 pm

tahiti_treat wrote:Made the armpit waxing appointment. Not looking forward to it...

Oh gosh. I would rather have a brazilian than a armpit wax. It stings for days! I am so glad my boyfriend is not into the "hairless" look.
In dust we trust.

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:15 pm

Why the pain ? Just use Nair cream or such.
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:21 pm

Oldguy wrote:Why the pain ? Just use Nair cream or such.
Waxing pulls the hair out by the root so you get a cleaner look. Hair remover cream is smelly, messy, chemically, and doesn't do the job as well. JMHO.
In dust we trust.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:24 pm

I've got to go with danibel on the "find a significant other who doesn't mind the fur" plan. Then all you gots to do is trim neatly!
Last edited by BoyScoutGirl on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Fufa

Post by Fufa » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:24 pm

I avoided waxing, by getting it all lasered off! Much less painful to be honest.

On another note, went to the thrift shop on a whim tonight with the Mr. and scored big! I got a dress, a pretty red tank top that matches a lot of my playa clothing pieces, and a sweet turquoise bolero jacket that according to the tag is originally from a shop in Toronto's chinatown. It is absolutely gorgeous.

Mr. Fufa got 3 sleeveless shirts that he looks quite fabulous in, and a pair of suspenders. He also found a playa coat. And not just ANY playa coat, but one that is almost the EXACT same as mine that I picked up at a second hand store last summer. Canadian made, calf length (well knee length on him since he is taller), belted waist, and all suede with a big grey/white fur collar. Same cut and style as well. The only difference is his is black and mine is rosy brown. It was the most amazing find.

We are going to match so well. :wink:

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:01 am

Ugh, I have to go downstairs and start pulling coats out of the playa closet. We have big foofy faux fur ones, but they really are not useful near fire or for doing anything constructive. I'm throwing our winter parkas and jeans in the mix, and our fleece outfits we normally take to Winter Solstice. I just have a bad feeling, and better prepared than freezing.

Yes, I really wanted my winter parka one morning in 2008 (7? 9?) Anyway, the camp next to us brought theirs, and the gal was in the exact same style and color that I own. It was like being mocked by the universe. The one year I hadn't packed heavy coats only summer jackets.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”