One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
skippy3k
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 8:15 and J....or close to it.

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by skippy3k » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:38 am

Picked up two borrowed generators. One leaked right away, so I'm glad I accept two generator offers. The second worked on the first pull. I thanked our friend for lending it to us so last minute at all. I don't think he heard me over the generator though.

Next up, a baffle box for said generator. (Gawd, I hope we don't have to use the generator. I hate generators. Love our friend, hate the generator.)
I'm a fixer. I fix things.

lazerfox
Burning Since: 2011

Post by lazerfox » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:00 am

I waxed last year bc I hated the thought of shaving on the playa...this year I'm going with the same recommendation BoyScoutGirl gave...neatly trimmed is the trick.

And yeah creams smell gross and burn your actual skin for longer...laser is what I'm going to try once we return from the burn...

Didn't do much yesterday except request for replacement lights for the ones who came broken...fingers crossed they make it in time :(

OH our Avatar: The Last Airbender robes came in the mail FINALLY!!! So excited to wear that mornings on the playa. I won't put lights on it bc it is so pretty!!

Fufa Awesome thrifting!! Now I'm tempeted to make a visit to mine...

NO NO NO SHOULDN'T DO IT...CAN'T SPEND MORE MONEY
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:18 am

*sigh* I don't really own any heavy coat...
How well does layering work?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:20 am

AntiM wrote:Ugh, I have to go downstairs and start pulling coats out of the playa closet. We have big foofy faux fur ones, but they really are not useful near fire or for doing anything constructive. I'm throwing our winter parkas and jeans in the mix, and our fleece outfits we normally take to Winter Solstice. I just have a bad feeling, and better prepared than freezing.

Yes, I really wanted my winter parka one morning in 2008 (7? 9?) Anyway, the camp next to us brought theirs, and the gal was in the exact same style and color that I own. It was like being mocked by the universe. The one year I hadn't packed heavy coats only summer jackets.
LOL!
All our fake furs are in a giant 'rubbermaid' type container. They are all so playafied that we wont hang them inside the house.
I find that the one I really like is actually just a woman's vest, that is supposed to be worn fur on the inside and plastic-ish cover on the out side. Finding fake furs that fit a 6' tall 200lb dude, is kind of difficult. So the vest is the only that doesn't make me feel like "Big man in a little coat"

My item for the day (or last few days)
Got to my sisters and got 99% of the camping gear out of her garage. That was a chore and filled my entire work truck!
Panda (co-founder of Gnome Dome) came over last night and we did a huge ass inventory off all the stuff we have/don't have.
With so much of our stuff spread in soooo many garages we were pretty worried about what we were missing. Turns out, we're not missing much.
Last night, went to box-mart and got SmAshly a new bike! Its very awesome!
A few more 7 gal. Aqua-tainers.
Also, our box-mart had these 92qrt Foot lockers for $20 bucks! A hell of a deal! So we are going to pack all the kitchen gear as the old rubber maid is shitting out.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:22 am

theCryptofishist wrote:*sigh* I don't really own any heavy coat...
I am evolved from hispanic rainforest people who apparently never had to endure anything below 80 degrees F...I do the layering beneath a heavy coat and I'm still freezing.

However, I can say that it works better if you do the light layers first and increase as you add.
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:26 am

lazerfox wrote:
I am evolved from hispanic rainforest people who apparently never had to endure anything below 80 degrees F...I do the layering beneath a heavy coat and I'm still freezing.

However, I can say that it works better if you do the light layers first and increase as you add.
Have you considered getting some of those heat packet things that you shake and then stick in your pockets?
I know guys that put them in their hunting boots and they say it makes a 100% difference. I don't know how you could put them in shoes though? The always stick them on top of their ankle so that when they tie down the Tongue of the boot it cinches them in.

Haha!
I bet using them to "stuff" a bra would work well too. And it would have a dual purpose!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Post by tattoogoddess » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:28 am

Horrible cramps today so im not going to do much.But that does mean i get to unpack tampons. THANK GOD! Going to Print out my Amtrak stuff and my personal video thing and fill it out, oh also all the stuff i have to help with on the playa cause im sure i will forget so i have it typed out.

My playa dreads are going in sunday :) Cant wait to have them back!!!
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:29 am

illy dilly wrote:
lazerfox wrote:

Have you considered getting some of those heat packet things that you shake and then stick in your pockets?
I know guys that put them in their hunting boots and they say it makes a 100% difference. I don't know how you could put them in shoes though? The always stick them on top of their ankle so that when they tie down the Tongue of the boot it cinches them in.

Haha!
I bet using them to "stuff" a bra would work well too. And it would have a dual purpose!
Not a problem for me...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:32 am

Fishy - also, increasing in sizes as you add layers helps to not feel like a burrito.
illy dilly wrote: Have you considered getting some of those heat packet things that you shake and then stick in your pockets?

Haha!
Indeed we have bought tons of those for normal camping circumstances and I did score a huge lot of them from my local thrift store...however, as well as they work on my hands/feet they don't do much of anything for my chest. And they get entirely too hot to think about putting in my bra :shock:
I will rethink it once they cool down a bit though as it does sounds a bit titilizing...er I mean tantalizing

Fufa
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Fufa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:42 am

I find those heat packet things don't work well with me, because they work by reacting with oxygen, and where I'm the coldest is already packed under clothes (such as my toes) so they stop dispelling heat right away.

One note on lasering lazerfox: be prepared to spend more than you initially think. I thought 6 treatments would do the trick, but I've had to have 9 so far, and I'm going in for number 10 before I leave since I'm still getting some growth. After investing this much I want it completely gone.

wh..sh

Post by wh..sh » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:47 am

lazerfox wrote:

My faux fur coat has very thin lining and really didn't add up to much. For this reason, I am doing lot of pants, fleece base, gloves, head wraps, hand warmers, feet warmers :)
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:53 am

The trick with layering is to have big loose over-items. Even a poncho is an option. If the layers are too tight, you won't be warm.

Silk is the warmest underlayer. Something to cut the wind as the outer layer, like a big nylon windbreaker. Fleece or textured cotton in the middle. Did this in Japan because I walked or biked to base every day. I used to buy hot cans of coffee from the machines on the way as pocket hand warmers.

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:15 am

Fufa wrote:I find those heat packet things don't work well with me, because they work by reacting with oxygen, and where I'm the coldest is already packed under clothes (such as my toes) so they stop dispelling heat right away.

One note on lasering lazerfox: be prepared to spend more than you initially think. I thought 6 treatments would do the trick, but I've had to have 9 so far, and I'm going in for number 10 before I leave since I'm still getting some growth. After investing this much I want it completely gone.
interseting that you say that cause one method kills the follicle right away. it involves putting a need tipped lazer into the pore and zaping it right at the "root" what are you getting done that you have to have it done over and over again? sounds like you might be getting cheated. cause most methods now a days at the very least at the first time you do it last for a year to a few years.

Fufa

Post by Fufa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:33 am

tattoogoddess wrote:
Fufa wrote:I find those heat packet things don't work well with me, because they work by reacting with oxygen, and where I'm the coldest is already packed under clothes (such as my toes) so they stop dispelling heat right away.

interseting that you say that cause one method kills the follicle right away. it involves putting a need tipped lazer into the pore and zaping it right at the "root" what are you getting done that you have to have it done over and over again? sounds like you might be getting cheated. cause most methods now a days at the very least at the first time you do it last for a year to a few years.
You have to get multiple treatments because your hair grows in cycles. A single treatment will only kill the follicles that currently have a hair growing in them (since the laser works by targeting the pigment to heat the hair follicle). So it will kill all the follicles of a single cycle, but there are still a lot follicles lying dormant. So you have treatments every 4-8 weeks, and each time you see thinner hair growth because more and more follicles are killed off.

It sounds like you're talking about electrolysis, which works be a different mechanism.

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:35 am

shit i have been out of school wayyyyyy to long. you are correct about the cycles totally spaced that one.

tahiti_treat
Camp Name: NoTown

Post by tahiti_treat » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:40 am

I wish I could afford the laser hair removal. I hate GETTING waxed, but I love BEING waxed, so the day of ouchiness is worth it to me cause it lasts for weeks.

Finished covering the frame of my bike last night (zebra tape).

Kire

Post by Kire » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:55 am

made some paracord bracelets last night, trying to figure out a few things to do with them/make them better.

here is that tin Foxfur, I hope to find you out there. I also think i have something that needs to be stenciled.
IMG_0949-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fufa

Post by Fufa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:16 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:shit i have been out of school wayyyyyy to long. you are correct about the cycles totally spaced that one.
Haha, it happens to the best of us. I researched the whole procedure like crazy before committing to it.

Foxfur
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/[email protected]: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:14 pm

Kire wrote:made some paracord bracelets last night, trying to figure out a few things to do with them/make them better.

here is that tin Foxfur, I hope to find you out there. I also think i have something that needs to be stenciled.
IMG_0949-2.jpg
Yay Kitty!
Just follow the flame, explosions, and screams. I'll be the one in the orange.

I bought 2 more 1 inch stencil sets (now have 7) so I can do longer stuff in one shot...
Save The Bacon.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:28 pm

Thanks to you foxfur now I want to

SPRAY PAINT ALL THE THINGS!!!

danibel

Post by danibel » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:56 pm

I just ordered my "warm white battery LED's" off Ebay. I hope the damn things work. :shock:
I paid a bit more than I would have a few weeks ago, because I ordered them from a "US" seller. All the ones shipping from China have a delivery date after the burn.

Anyone else having trouble sleeping at night? I know I should be getting lots of extra sleep to prepare my brain for none once I get to the playa, but I just can't fall asleep at night. My mind races with all that has to be done before I leave.
In dust we trust.

EmilyD
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:13 pm

ARGH!!! A mostly stupid day spent sewing my final dress. It's going REALLY slow. I should be done, but the thing just isn't working as smoothly as it should be. In better news, got our pet care lined up, BIG WHEW! That was stressing me out majorly.

Danibel...YES...can't fall asleep for the brain spinning, and wake up too early for more of same. Get me to the Playa so I can RELAX...oh wait...!

P.S...Does everyone know about this already? Bringing a signed PUA (Personal Use Agreement to take ANY video at Burning Man) along with you to save time at the gate:

http://www.burningman.com/media/doc/pre ... 12_PUA.pdf
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Jax Dee
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by Jax Dee » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:24 pm

Fufa wrote:
tattoogoddess wrote:shit i have been out of school wayyyyyy to long. you are correct about the cycles totally spaced that one.
Haha, it happens to the best of us. I researched the whole procedure like crazy before committing to it.
So I am REALLY pale with with DARK body hair which is apparently perfect for laser hair removal. I had spent some money on laser treatments but just didn't have the cash after my divorce to keep them up. This year I bought a Tria at home laser for about $500. You have to use it pretty regularly and be patient but it really does work. I've only treated my legs maybe 8 times (you are supposed to use it every two weeks for about 6 months to see total hair removal) and already I can go about a week without seeing hair growth. And I used to be the person who would shave in the morning and then have to shave again in the afternoon if I wanted smooth legs. I am really pleased with it and it is way cheaper and I can use it whenever I feel like in the privacy of my own home, and it doesn't hurt at all. So there is that option if you happen to have the pale skin dark hair combo.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:36 pm

Finally have all our "to be UPS'd stuff" packed and it will be on its way tomorrow. Unfortunatly it is double what we planned so it will be pricier than budgeted.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:03 pm

Jax Dee wrote:
Fufa wrote:
So I am REALLY pale with with DARK body hair which is apparently perfect for laser hair removal. I had spent some money on laser treatments but just didn't have the cash after my divorce to keep them up. This year I bought a Tria at home laser for about $500. You have to use it pretty regularly and be patient but it really does work. I've only treated my legs maybe 8 times (you are supposed to use it every two weeks for about 6 months to see total hair removal) and already I can go about a week without seeing hair growth. And I used to be the person who would shave in the morning and then have to shave again in the afternoon if I wanted smooth legs. I am really pleased with it and it is way cheaper and I can use it whenever I feel like in the privacy of my own home, and it doesn't hurt at all. So there is that option if you happen to have the pale skin dark hair combo.
so slightly darker skin with very dark body hair is no good with the Tria?

Jax Dee
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by Jax Dee » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:19 pm

lazerfox wrote:
You've got to have light skin, they suggest light olive or paler. Any darker and it won't work on you. Same with the hair, it has to be dark hair (not red or blonde) because the laser is attracted to the pigment. You are prolly good to go. I suggest if you are interested you check out their website. They have a lot of info and tutorials and things available.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing

danibel

Post by danibel » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:51 pm

I had laser done on my legs some years ago and now I have a few dark hairs, and lots of blond! LOL

Anyway. Today was majorly productive. My friend Ted helped me build a bed platform for the back of the van. We designed it so that it's low enough to sit on the bed and not have to duck, but some bins from Costco also fit perfectly under it. Now the challenge will be fitting all my clothes into three bins instead of my BIG grey bin I have used the in the past. I will probably have to hang my coats. Also we will have a fun time fitting the bikes in. I have considered a bike rack, but I really like having everything contained in the van.
In dust we trust.

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:39 am

Jax Dee wrote:
lazerfox wrote:
You've got to have light skin, they suggest light olive or paler. Any darker and it won't work on you. Same with the hair, it has to be dark hair (not red or blonde) because the laser is attracted to the pigment. You are prolly good to go. I suggest if you are interested you check out their website. They have a lot of info and tutorials and things available.
Thanks! I'll check it out. I hope I'm a candidate as it would be nice to not spend the grand that it would prob cost at a legit laser place in town that my friend has used.

So yesterday we did some core synergistic since it was raining pretty badly and we could not go on the bike ride. It felt pretty great!
Also, made a lot of progress on my robe the outer shell is almost all sewed together and since that only took me one night I feel pretty good that I can def get the lining also done this weekend. :)

Foxfur
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/[email protected]: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:25 am

I had some left over chrome spray paint after finishing the trailer roof so I repainted my gold army helmet:
Well Polished Helmet.jpg
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

EmilyD
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:34 am

DAB, I'm sure it'll be a huge relief to get your gear enroute.

Foxfur, that helmet's got some cool texture on it.

Regarding female body hair, who can even see it in the dust? Of course one wants to feel attractive in public but one shave before I leave home works well enough for me. (Not that anyone asked lol.)
Last edited by EmilyD on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”