One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:24 pm

See, those two posts are an example!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Bling

Post by Bling » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:00 pm

Even those of us who started almost a year ago are still needing to do at least 2 or 3 things a day! :D We picked up our trailer today, and I still need to sew the cooler covers I pinned yesterday and add lights to our Chinese hats. Plus, I called around and found dry ice for $1 lb. (weighed at pick up) and they do custom slab sizes to fit coolers!!! You can even order online! The company is Continental Carbonics http://www.dryicesource.com/dryice/sales.php

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:12 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:My dollar store had hallowe'en skeleton garlands.

I realize this is different from sardines and solar lights.
I laughed so hard when I read this I snorted iced tea out of my nose at my desk at work. Ha. It just tickled me. Thanks Fishy.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:13 pm

I'm playing catch up:

Cut/taped PVC and put up trial skeleton for Monkey Hut/shade flap (awaiting tarp, bungee balls and 4' bungee in the mail).

Ordered 4 season tent (decided to scrap the EBay "bargain")

Bought and installed bike carrier for vehicle, I'm on the fence as to whether this is going to hold on a 6000 mile trip (or 2700 if I donate it after BM).

As for the latter two, all I can say is you get what you pay.

mthyer

Post by mthyer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:30 pm

Just got the load side of my house battery system installed and working. This evening I'll work on the BT21000 cover for my cooler. I picked up a super duper big'un on sale this weekend. Going to build a shelf in it to separate dry ice from the stuff that only needs to be cool and not frozen.

Bling

Post by Bling » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:34 pm

Wouldn't dry ice freeze everything in the cooler solid, even with a shelf? It's -109° to -78°.

mthyer

Post by mthyer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:05 pm

Bling wrote:Wouldn't dry ice freeze everything in the cooler solid, even with a shelf? It's -109° to -78°.
Done it this way on extended river trips before. Think of it like an old fashioned ice box. The cool air from the frozen nitrogen is allowed to circulate throughout the cooler, but not the ice itself. Shelf may be a bad description, more like a small plywood box with vents in it.

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:17 pm

Bling wrote:Even those of us who started almost a year ago are still needing to do at least 2 or 3 things a day!
Right!
The list of 100 to does is shortening... buts there is still a ton of to does.

I always try to start with the largest projects first, encase they take extra time, or need parts ordered, or even worse manufactured.
Then the large project that have to be completed before you head out to the playa.
Now all we have left is buying perishable food items, and small crafts. Good thing about waiting on the small crafts is that if push comes to shove you can work on them while someone else drives.

What sorta fabric are you making the cooler covers out of?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:25 pm

Today's Items:

* A twofer: Riding my folding bike, to pick up the van after it's service and safety check at the mechanic's.

* Covered our 2 ice chests with mylar bubblewrap using Gorilla and metal foil tape.

Yup, illydilly, still a ton to do!
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Bling

Post by Bling » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:28 pm

I got some fabric that you might use to line a jacket--quilted, with a thin layer of cheap fluffy stuff inside, and some Polartec fleece. So, the whole things will be at least 2 layers, and there's some extra lining fabric that I can use to double up the top layer on the inside. There's extra fleece, too, but that seemed like it would be perfect for wrapping up the dry ice...

We did try to spread out purchases so there weren't TOO many in any one month, and order stuff well in advance so it would be here in time. There are still some trailer things we need to do--like paint acrylic protectant onto the parts we didn't get to yet (the weather's been awful here!), screw in some eyebolts to hold the Aluminet on, put furnace filters on the window screens and mylar on the windows. Hopefully Sunday will behave weather-wise so we can do all that...

In the car, we're pretty much just planning to listen to audio books. :D

Liz Estrada

Post by Liz Estrada » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:30 pm

"larry was better"

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Bling wrote:In the car, we're pretty much just planning to listen to audio books. :D
adding audio books from library to list.

This is one of my favorite things about long drives. It seems to really cement the whole trip in my memory, really passes the time well, and keeps me alert.

Bling

Post by Bling » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:23 pm

We picked up a bunch cheap at St. Vinnie's & Half Price books. And, my brother gave me some Martha Beck audio books for my birthday that I really want my sweetie to listen to. :D

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:21 am

I have fuckit augue. I'm tired of looking at all of it, thinking about all of it, sewing on all of it and I just...yeah. Fuckit augue.

Dr Jet Sinister
Burning Since: 1986

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:24 am

C.f.M. wrote:I have fuckit augue. I'm tired of looking at all of it, thinking about all of it, sewing on all of it and I just...yeah. Fuckit augue.
Yup. Had that for almost the last month. It's starting to wear off now.
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:03 am

Dr Jet Sinister wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:I have fuckit augue. I'm tired of looking at all of it, thinking about all of it, sewing on all of it and I just...yeah. Fuckit augue.
I hope mine does...I know part of it is PMS/hormonal issues I can't control...but still. Argh.

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:06 am

Taking Friday off to pack. Will have all but dry ice and perishables ready by Sunday. Down to the real nitty gritty on my list: Redbull, Booze, Meat, perishables, did I say booze? Starting to get nervous though, as my list gets shorter. Wondering what I may have blatantly forgotten. I think I've moved from pre-playa frenzy to eerie. So now I start double and triple checking everything. I just know I'm gonna forget something important. This is the pitfall of camping alone, even when in a Village. For me it's a major fail if I have to ask someone for something. Seriously. ARGH! (Heavy Sigh) Can't we just be there already?
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:07 am

Dr Jet Sinister wrote:
I had a couple of days of this feeling last week. It was yucky! Going to the movies helped.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:15 am

Clar-i-ty wrote:Taking Friday off to pack. Will have all but dry ice and perishables ready by Sunday. Down to the real nitty gritty on my list: Redbull, Booze, Meat, perishables, did I say booze? Starting to get nervous though, as my list gets shorter. Wondering what I may have blatantly forgotten. I think I've moved from pre-playa frenzy to eerie. So now I start double and triple checking everything. I just know I'm gonna forget something important. This is the pitfall of camping alone, even when in a Village. For me it's a major fail if I have to ask someone for something. Seriously. ARGH! (Heavy Sigh)
I also have this feeling like I'm forgetting something. Not like, "Oh, I forgot my toothbrush/extra batteries for my clock/that dress I wanted to wear" but something...big. It's bugging the heck outta me.

And anxiety about flying and making connections, not being harrassed by TSA (I mean, traveling with a 17" 6lb purple cock is normal, right??) and feeling guilty for not really doing much to help my camp set up, and worried I'll forget my ticket, and finding a ride to the airport, and finding somebody reliable to take care of my cats (since the person who was supposed to do both isn't speaking to me now)...toss in the usual insecurity and bad luck that is my everything, and I just want to go back to bed.

Bling

Post by Bling » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:21 am

C.f.M. wrote: I also have this feeling like I'm forgetting something. Not like, "Oh, I forgot my toothbrush/extra batteries for my clock/that dress I wanted to wear" but something...big. It's bugging the heck outta me.
I bet if you wanted to share your list & camping plans, that folks here would be happy to see if we can tell if something big is missing.
And anxiety about flying and making connections
How long are your connections? Where is your seat on the plane?
not being harrassed by TSA (I mean, traveling with a 17" 6lb purple cock is normal, right??)

TSA folks like to wield the tiny, tiny amounts of power they have. If they do, try not to take it personally. It's not meant at you. Is the giant purple cock plastic? If so, it won't even show up in your suitcase (keep the batteries separate if it has any). If they DO see it, just say it's a gag gift...
and feeling guilty for not really doing much to help my camp set up
You'll find other ways to help out once you're there.
and worried I'll forget my ticket, and finding a ride to the airport, and finding somebody reliable to take care of my cats (since the person who was supposed to do both isn't speaking to me now)...toss in the usual insecurity and bad luck that is my everything, and I just want to go back to bed.
Breathe! Make a list you can check off on your way out the door for tickets, etc.. You'll find someone else to take care of the cats, and you'll have a blast. :D

Dr Jet Sinister
Burning Since: 1986

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:24 am

C.f.M. wrote:I also have this feeling like I'm forgetting something. Not like, "Oh, I forgot my toothbrush/extra batteries for my clock/that dress I wanted to wear" but something...big. It's bugging the heck outta me.

And anxiety about flying and making connections, not being harrassed by TSA (I mean, traveling with a 17" 6lb purple cock is normal, right??) and feeling guilty for not really doing much to help my camp set up, and worried I'll forget my ticket, and finding a ride to the airport, and finding somebody reliable to take care of my cats (since the person who was supposed to do both isn't speaking to me now)...toss in the usual insecurity and bad luck that is my everything, and I just want to go back to bed.
I will wave my magic wand and everything will be okay...
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:24 am

never fear.. METRO MART IS HERE!
Were located at Athens & 4:30. Should you forget a "necessity" please stop by, we may be able to help you out. We are a "Market" gifting personal care items, first aid supplies, playa & camping gear & loner tools.
don't forget to floss

mthyer

Post by mthyer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:33 am

Boijoy wrote:never fear.. METRO MART IS HERE!
Were located at Athens & 4:30. Should you forget a "necessity" please stop by, we may be able to help you out. We are a "Market" gifting personal care items, first aid supplies, playa & camping gear & loner tools.
Will you have Q-tips?

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:35 am

I assume you'll accept donations from over-anxious newbies who bring duplicate items?

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:36 am

mthyer wrote:
Will you have Q-tips?
I will. They already zipped up in my carry-on.

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:42 am

yup. q-tips we will have.
the only things we aren't going to have are food or drink, sexual aids (there are plenty of camps for that stuff) & of course stuff even WE forgot :) so, don't let forgetting your toothbrush, panti liner, eye drops, or asprin, garbage bag, zip tie, etc. ruin your burn.
don't forget to floss

Bling

Post by Bling » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:44 am

That's awesome, Boijoy! Metro Mart is going to ease lots of folks minds. :D

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:57 am

C.f.M. wrote:
not being harrassed by TSA (I mean, traveling with a 17" 6lb purple cock is normal, right??)

TSA folks like to wield the tiny, tiny amounts of power they have. If they do, try not to take it personally. It's not meant at you. Is the giant purple cock plastic? If so, it won't even show up in your suitcase (keep the batteries separate if it has any). If they DO see it, just say it's a gag gift...
Fuck that! Tell them it's always hard, always ready and requires no reciprocation!

Also having pet sitter issues. Just realized I don't have my dog's shot records, so now I have to add vet visit to the list. (whimper, whimper)
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:00 am

I bet if you wanted to share your list & camping plans, that folks here would be happy to see if we can tell if something big is missing.

This is pretty much the list, give or take

http://playabound.wordpress.com/2009/07 ... two-pages/

How long are your connections? Where is your seat on the plane?

Columbia (CAE) to Dallas (Dallas-Fort Worth Intl.)08/30/106:05 AM - 7:50

Dallas (Dallas-Fort Worth Intl.) to Reno (RNO)08/30/109:15 AM - 10:45 AMAmerican Airlines 1273

I don't know where my sit is...I asked for a window. And paid a bit more, to have less connections. My options, traveling out of a small airport, were fairly limited and I feel lucky to have gotten these routes (compared to some that had layovers of 11 hours).

Is the giant purple cock plastic?
It's silicone. And I'm not positive it's going, due to keeping the bag at the allowed weight.

You'll find other ways to help out once you're there.

I do like to clean, when I'm drunk.

make a list you can check off on your way out the door for tickets, etc.

Oh, I have lists out the ass! Doesn't mean I'll remember stuff! I put stuff right in the doorway, so that I can't open the front door without hitting it, and still forget it!!

You'll find someone else to take care of the cats,

I might find someone who will agree to stop by (if they remember), but finding someone who will keep the litter box cleaned out is another matter. Having had somebody besides him watch the cats, I know from experience - and we're talking less than a weekend, in the past, not a full week.

and you'll have a blast.

hippie.
:evil:

(thank you for the encouragement. i was kinda hoping whining in here might cheer me up. that, and maybe Jet's "wand." :shock: )

Bling

Post by Bling » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:16 am

C.f.M. wrote:This is pretty much the list, give or take
http://playabound.wordpress.com/2009/07 ... two-pages/
Looks good to me.
Columbia (CAE) to Dallas (Dallas-Fort Worth Intl.)08/30/106:05 AM - 7:50
Dallas (Dallas-Fort Worth Intl.) to Reno (RNO)08/30/109:15 AM - 10:45 AMAmerican Airlines 1273
You have 90 minutes. International flights--where you have to go through customs--can go through DFW with 70 minutes, so you should be fine. If I were you, though, I would check on where my seat is, and see if you can be closer to the front of the plane. Or on an aisle.
Is the giant purple cock plastic?
It's silicone. And I'm not positive it's going, due to keeping the bag at the allowed weight.
Only metal shows up.
Oh, I have lists out the ass! Doesn't mean I'll remember stuff! I put stuff right in the doorway, so that I can't open the front door without hitting it, and still forget it!!
Then pack the ticket & such into something you KNOW you''re taking, so you don't have to remember it at the last minute. Like a small outside zip pocket on a suitcase.
(thank you for the encouragement. i was kinda hoping whining in here might cheer me up. that, and maybe Jet's "wand." :shock: )
Whining is good for the soul, right? :D

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”