One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
gerlachedNloaded
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: ShadeWhores

Post by gerlachedNloaded » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:32 am

Totally failed the playa coat embellishment last night. so i have a sleeveless faux fur coat.. and a shiny silver cloth to wrap around my shoulders, head, and face. i look like a sad version of a gay wookie.
help :?
I am HORSE

EmilyD
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:03 pm

gerlachedNloaded wrote:Totally failed the playa coat embellishment last night. so i have a sleeveless faux fur coat.. and a shiny silver cloth to wrap around my shoulders, head, and face. i look like a sad version of a gay wookie.
It's not too late gerlachNloaded. Come on over to the Crafting thread and lay your construction problems on us for help:

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... &start=240
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:08 pm

gerlachedNloaded wrote:Totally failed the playa coat embellishment last night. so i have a sleeveless faux fur coat.. and a shiny silver cloth to wrap around my shoulders, head, and face. i look like a sad version of a gay wookie.
That'll still keep you warm (a vest).

Why can't you fix the sleeves? Take sleeves off another coat and sew them on.

gerlachedNloaded

Post by gerlachedNloaded » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:18 pm

it's a long coat.. to the ground. just kinda looks retarded with no sleeves :? tried to sew some different ones on last night and it just wasn't jiving. got frustrated and forced myself to put the scissors away 'fore i hacked it to pieces.
I am HORSE

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:22 pm

gerlachedNloaded wrote:it's a long coat.. to the ground. just kinda looks retarded with no sleeves :? tried to sew some different ones on last night and it just wasn't jiving. got frustrated and forced myself to put the scissors away 'fore i hacked it to pieces.
Tell me about it. I spent [email protected]#$%^ hours Monday on ONE SINGLE [email protected]!#$ pocket to carry a %[email protected]#$ water bottle. It drove me to physical tears, and ruined my Tuesday, and started this whole bad mood/fuckit plague.

I haven't even gone back to my !!#$% cloak that I can't get to sit right on my shoulders.

[email protected]#$^!#*[email protected]#$^[email protected]#$%[email protected]#$#@$^$&#%^@!#$%[email protected]#%#%&^@$ :evil: :evil: :evil:

Didn't jive the sleeves didn't fit, or didn't look right? What happened to the original sleeves?

gerlachedNloaded

Post by gerlachedNloaded » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:31 pm

hehe.. umm, well i kinda took them off in a not so nice way as they were causing the whole damn thing to not fit (too short, too tight). and then one of my dogs got ahold of em.. all i've found is a quater sized chunk of slobbery fur in the back yard so far.. . :lol:

maybe i'll drink till im creative tonight :lol:

oh, and they didn't look right at all...
I am HORSE

Hoolie
Burning Since: 2000

Post by Hoolie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:01 pm

Sorry about your plight, but that totally made me LOL.

shroom

Post by shroom » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:08 pm

My bestie let me borrow his pagan cloak! YAY!!!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:12 pm

gerlachedNloaded wrote:it's a long coat.. to the ground. just kinda looks retarded with no sleeves :? tried to sew some different ones on last night and it just wasn't jiving. got frustrated and forced myself to put the scissors away 'fore i hacked it to pieces.
Oh come on. It's Black Rock City. We all look a little retarded. That's what makes it both fun and challenging!
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

Bling

Post by Bling » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:14 pm

True! You will not catch me wearing tutu's in the default world.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:15 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
Tell me about it. I spent [email protected]#$%^ hours Monday on ONE SINGLE [email protected]!#$ pocket to carry a %[email protected]#$ water bottle. It drove me to physical tears, and ruined my Tuesday, and started this whole bad mood/fuckit plague.

I haven't even gone back to my !!#$% cloak that I can't get to sit right on my shoulders.

[email protected]#$^!#*[email protected]#$^[email protected]#$%[email protected]#$#@$^$&#%^@!#$%[email protected]#%#%&^@$ :evil: :evil: :evil:

Didn't jive the sleeves didn't fit, or didn't look right? What happened to the original sleeves?

hey, Missy, watch yer language around the chillins
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:19 pm

OR a fabulous Ewok!! :)

don't forget to floss

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:31 pm

I love Ewoks...I'm bringing most of my Endor rebel outfit this year.

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Bling wrote:True! You will not catch me wearing tutu's in the default world.
Ditto....
....well unless its after mid-night.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

psychoalpha
Camp Name: Camp Anita

Post by psychoalpha » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:39 pm

[quote]True! You will not catch me wearing tutu's in the default world.[/quote]

Oh nooo! Really? I feel like I'm constantly looking for an excuse to wear one. They're great for bike rides.

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:54 pm

gerlachedNloaded wrote:it's a long coat.. to the ground. just kinda looks retarded with no sleeves :?
WRONG

You will look like an awesome cowboy . Long vests are the shit. ROCK IT with a fancy dress shirt or bare arms or a funky sweater.

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:01 pm

Oh what I have done this week.

~obtained new seat for bike
~obtained hitch for van
~Got wiring installed for hitch on van
~booked trailer to carry dome

~bought pattern for playa coat
(YOU'RE JUST STARTING YOUR COAT NOW?? Well, actually I'm just starting two... WHAT WERE YOU DOING ALL YEAR?? Well working the festival circuit OMG YOU'RE CRAZY YOUR COAT LAST YEAR TOOK YOU OVER 30 HOURS.. well what can I say. hopefully it will go quicker this year.)

Also I'm moving about a week after the burn so I've had to start prepping for that. Am I insane? yes. Have I done nothing today? Yes. that just means I"ll work all night instead... mwahahahaha *lies on the floor twitching*

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:07 pm

psychoalpha wrote:
True! You will not catch me wearing tutu's in the default world.
Oh nooo! Really? I feel like I'm constantly looking for an excuse to wear one. They're great for bike rides.
True,
But when I think default I think work or non-burner friends/family. I really don't think showing up to a trades meeting at a construction site in a TuTu would go over well. At best I'd only be written up by the safety nazi for not wearing full length pants.

Though I do enjoy a good wacky costume at a rave, concert, or festival.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Bling wrote:True! You will not catch me wearing tutu's in the default world.
Actually...I do. ;-)

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:53 pm

trystanthegypsy wrote:Oh what I have done this week.

~obtained new seat for bike
~obtained hitch for van
~Got wiring installed for hitch on van
~booked trailer to carry dome

~bought pattern for playa coat
(YOU'RE JUST STARTING YOUR COAT NOW?? Well, actually I'm just starting two... WHAT WERE YOU DOING ALL YEAR?? Well working the festival circuit OMG YOU'RE CRAZY YOUR COAT LAST YEAR TOOK YOU OVER 30 HOURS.. well what can I say. hopefully it will go quicker this year.)

Also I'm moving about a week after the burn so I've had to start prepping for that. Am I insane? yes. Have I done nothing today? Yes. that just means I"ll work all night instead... mwahahahaha *lies on the floor twitching*
YIKES!!!!

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:36 pm

C.f.M. wrote:I have fuckit augue. I'm tired of looking at all of it, thinking about all of it, sewing on all of it and I just...yeah. Fuckit augue.
I am avoiding finishing things, because I want them to be perfect. Instead, I think of OTHER things to work on , start, and they become things to avoid as well. The thinking of it is getting tiresome.

I have all I need. In my best David Byrne imitation: "Don't get upset. It's not a major disaster." It's going to be great fun this year!

at the dollar store today: CR032 batteries for led stuff, spring open mesh type basket, two car windshield shades for cooler cozies, ring clamps (not sure what for, but handy when I think of something,) small funnel for filling my alcohol stove.

I built pendant light displays all day. I don't want to build anything else tonight.

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:52 pm

Confirmed load and travel plan with my riders today. Yay!

Also got some Dr. Pepper throwback with real sugar. Thinking it's gonna go great with JD. And finally got the makings for my homemade margarita mix.

Looking forward to packing. I'm sure I'll feel better as I check stuff off my list as they go into the vehicle. Plus, I'm packing this weekend which gives me plenty of time to remember things. I just want to see a line through everything on my list signifying that it's packed.

Can't wait to get home.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

Bling

Post by Bling » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:03 pm

I finally got one heavily insulated cooler cover sewn! One to go... And snake-sun-hat supplies will ride along in the car. May as well do something with my hands while listening to those audio books we're bringing... :D

ryptide

Post by ryptide » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:03 pm

I've been out shopping for an air mattress/sleeping pad and a sleeping bag for two nights in a row. These are the two most important things I haven't acquired that I won't be acquiring in Reno.

I've come home with:

Blinky red light for the back of my bike
EL wire bikeglow set
A shemagh with the jolly roger on it
a flight suit
a bike lock
tire levers
a camp mirror
Dr. Bronner's
50' of black paracord.
some reflective ankle bands (more bike crap)

And nothing resembling an air mattress, sleeping pad or sleeping bag.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:52 am

Last night I sat at home in the dark because my power went out shortly after I got home, and didn't come until, quite literally, I was brushing my teeth to go to bed.

So I didn't do one, single thing yesterday.

Oh wait, yeah I did. I cut out camp patches by the fading daylight in my front doorway.

THEN I sat in the dark watching Gilmore Girls on my dying laptop.

shroom

Post by shroom » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:15 am

I bought most of my food and water. Got a seat cover for the terrible bike seat, got some glow items and decor for said bike. Got a new camera.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

gerlachedNloaded

Post by gerlachedNloaded » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:41 am

ok then ms gypsy.. i'll rock the cowboy wookie look, and i wholly expect further said comments and a bitchin high five at the M&G :lol: spot me if you can!
I am HORSE

jella
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:37 am

Elorrum wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:I have fuckit augue. I'm tired of looking at all of it, thinking about all of it, sewing on all of it and I just...yeah. Fuckit augue.
I am avoiding finishing things, because I want them to be perfect. Instead, I think of OTHER things to work on , start, and they become things to avoid as well. The thinking of it is getting tiresome.

I have all I need. In my best David Byrne imitation: "Don't get upset. It's not a major disaster." It's going to be great fun this year!

at the dollar store today: CR032 batteries for led stuff, spring open mesh type basket, two car windshield shades for cooler cozies, ring clamps (not sure what for, but handy when I think of something,) small funnel for filling my alcohol stove.

I built pendant light displays all day. I don't want to build anything else tonight.
I used to reward myself by running home after work and sewing something, now I it feels like a reward not to. Funny how the flurry of preperation takes over your life. .. and CFM I love love love Gilmore girls :)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:04 am

I used to reward myself by running home after work and sewing something, now I it feels like a reward not to. Funny how the flurry of preperation takes over your life. .. and CFM I love love love Gilmore girls :)
It's funny, that really describes it - a first, for me.

I am starting the whole series over from episode 1! It passes time like crazy.

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:57 pm

Today I cut out the lining for coat #1 and organized all my craft and leather working supplies. Also sorted my bathroom stuff for the move. I have about 5 or 6 garbage bags of giveaway and 1 of sell and 3 of actual garbage already. I'm trying to get this all done by saturday so I can giveaway all the good stuff to my burner friends at our pre-burn party this saturday.

Now I'm off to get a rack and/or basket for my bike and go decorate it at my friend's house. :D Exciting!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”