One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:27 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
I used to reward myself by running home after work and sewing something, now I it feels like a reward not to. Funny how the flurry of preperation takes over your life. .. and CFM I love love love Gilmore girls :)
It's funny, that really describes it - a first, for me.

I am starting the whole series over from episode 1! It passes time like crazy.
sounds like a good idea... after Burning Man. I watched it religiously when it aired, and didn't know anybody else who did.

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Post by geospyder » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:38 pm

Odd ball shopping tomorrow - tarp for one of the tents, horn for bike, single ply TP, etc.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:39 pm

Aired up the (playa) bike tiers and test rode. It's good to go.

One new head light on the MV.. MV is ready to put on trailer..

Put "all" of my tools where thet belong.. Ready for the next job..

Going to take a nap with cat now..

Next job is camp kitchen.. Has a different layout this year.

First make a counter top with stove wind sheild and cutting board..

jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:47 pm

Unjonharley--- if you had a choice would you choose flames or stars ?
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:57 pm

jella wrote:Unjonharley--- if you had a choice would you choose flames or stars ?
Just as Burning Man, I am about flames..

jella

Post by jella » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:02 pm

okie dokie--- flames it is .
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

dinks

Post by dinks » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:04 pm

REI in reno has the UV/coolmax buffs in their clearance bin. Grabbed one for me and one for the wife. Also got a multi tool and spare tube for the bike.

mthyer

Post by mthyer » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:09 pm

Just sent email securing work coverage while I'm away. Booyah (and I'm giving myself a high-five)! List of things that remain:
1) Get coolant leak fixed before I leave. Thought this one was taken care of, but the epoxy filler I used separated from the expansion tank and now I’ve got to figure something else out.
2) Install safe in van for valuables. Requires cutting metal and mounting, but this is more of a nice to have and not a necessity since I don’t really carry much of anything that will need locked up.
3) Re-upholster the rear bench/z-bed. Again a nice to have since I’ll have pretty good sheets to go over the crappy upholstery I have there today.
4) Make external UV-window reflectors. This weekend baby, shade from the outside keeps the inside nice and chilly.
5) Finish swamp cooler. Need to add the fan and ducting and then wire that into the Van’s auxiliary power system.
6) Make UV protective envelope for ice-box.
7) Buy my food and prepare my water.
8) Load, fuel up, and take off.

jella

Post by jella » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:41 pm

Unjon you have mail

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:03 pm

Purchased and installed new air filter on Golficus Carticus.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:25 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:Purchased and installed new air filter on Golficus Carticus.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

jella

Post by jella » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:59 pm

very worthy purchase !

Bling

Post by Bling » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:00 pm

Arghh! Took the car in AGAIN, because after last week's $350 check-up, this week the engine light came on. Some catalytic converter thing. Another $650. Tonight I've been working on the cooler cover from hell. Multiple misbehaving layers of obnoxiously badly behaving fabric. 'Course, that could be because I'm PMS-ing, which is a GOOD thing!

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:13 pm

Today I spent half the day helping my step-mother deal with my dad (newly diagnosed with dementia) and the other half at two different dentists. I may have to have root canal work done tomorrow, WAHHHH!!! I don't feel much like working on my prep stuff tonight.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Bling

Post by Bling » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:51 pm

That sounds like the day from hell, Emily. I'm sorry. :(

cahlm
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Geodesia

Post by cahlm » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:50 pm

Just got done making 500 of these 1.5" pinback buttons:

Hopefully I'll see some of you to gift.

jella

Post by jella » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:00 pm

Oh those are sweeet Cahlm :)

I finished another basket liner
think I need a 9 step program for sewing :roll:
hehe

EmilyD
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:08 pm

Bling wrote:That sounds like the day from hell, Emily. I'm sorry. :(
Thanks Bling, yours sounds a bit bumpy too. Here's hoping tomorrow is better and we can get all the shit done we need to do. ;-(
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

robrob
Camp Name: Love Drippins

Post by robrob » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:05 pm

geospyder wrote:Odd ball shopping tomorrow - tarp for one of the tents, horn for bike, single ply TP, etc.
speaking of balls, i grabbed the largest size container of medicated talcum powder i could find at lunch today :)

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:22 am

Elorrum wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:
I used to reward myself by running home after work and sewing something, now I it feels like a reward not to. Funny how the flurry of preperation takes over your life. .. and CFM I love love love Gilmore girls :)

sounds like a good idea... after Burning Man. I watched it religiously when it aired, and didn't know anybody else who did.
We'd get together every Tuesday, have a big awesome dinner and watch.

Stars over flames, any day.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:32 am

Last min. food sopping today.. Then set up camp kitchen

Bling

Post by Bling » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:35 am

I made my sweetie and me light-up Chinese hats last night, after finally finishing the cooler cover from hell (well, beating it into submission, anyway. It's not the most beautiful thing ever, but will serve...) The hats were easy--lightsticks all sewn together at the top of Coolie hats--and they came out really good! :D

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:45 am

Doh! Double Post! See Below
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

Bling

Post by Bling » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:49 am

LOVED that show--until the last season. I think the writing team moved on, and the new writers were clueless and took the characters in some very wrong directions, IMHO. It spoiled the whole series for me. So, if you love it, please DON'T watch the last season. Keep it shining in your mind...

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:58 am

Elorrum wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:

Oh god! So we're getting all confessional here? Yes. I too love the Lorelies. It's a perfect escape. ASP had me at the first scene of the first episode: "Are you my new daddy?" Just thinking of it makes me laugh.

(Sigh)

So the inevitable crisis happened yesterday. While out on site of a new project my org is producing, I lost my Burning Van keys. Gone! No spares.

After much speculation from the dealership and one fail with a locksmith, I finally called my roadside service to have my Van towed, only to find that they only pay or the first 5 miles or to the closest dealership. Ugh!

But once I explained the problem, the insurance company hooked me up with a top notch locksmith, paid for part of it, and dude had me taken care of with a new set of keys and a spare in about 25 minutes!

So glad that drama is over and that it happened before the Playa.

Spending today packing said Burning Van. I have to start with my clothing. Laying out outfits, making sure there are enough socks, etc. I also need booze. After putting a lot of thought into it I'm gonna go with Jack, Tequila and beer - 2 Fourpacks of Guiness, and a twelve pack of cheap for during the day.

So ready to be on the Playa.

This time next week, I'll be up with a combination of nervous energy and giddiness, counting the minutes until we roll on the Playa. I saw three more folks heading that way yesterday. Can't wait to be driving with that same look of bliss.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:04 am

Last season was a bit of a mess...but I thought they wrapped it up well.

Seeing Luke and Lorelai is so CUTE (just like Luke, YUM), knowing what's to happen...Emily is my favorite! Well, and Miss Patty, of course.

This time next week, I'll be up with a combination of nervous energy and giddiness counting the minutes until we roll on the Playa.

No kidding. Toss in some nervousness, anxiety and fear for me...I might have to start smoking pot or something.

gerlachedNloaded
Camp Name: ShadeWhores

Post by gerlachedNloaded » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:22 am

START?! :o

HA, i think it just hit me that i'm actually going to be there. in like 10 ish days... my goddamn head may explode!

AND CHECK IT! even in my seemingly burnerless nook of the USA, i actually saw a burn bus on the interstate by my house yesterday. i nearly ditched my hoopty and hopped in :lol:
I am HORSE

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:28 am

Yesterday, Myarry got the oil changed in the Trailblazer, and priced trailer tires. Not cheap. He did a bunch of soldering and fussing with lights. He's delivering steel to Vegas this weekend, wont be home for prep.

I made a little art, paid some bills, worked on the last minute lists. Genius came over and shrink-wrapped a stack of his woodblock prints. Past greatest hits for the HFWA ... I recommend them.

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:03 am

AGH so I blew a tire on my van yesterday, and also the hitch doesn't install the way it's supposed to, so I'm gonna have to pay to get it installed. :( I only got half finished my bike cuz it's a very ambitious project, and I never did find leather saddlebags for it :(:(

But I did work on my circus bustle yesterday so I guess that's a plus... we'll see how today goes??

kman

Post by kman » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:17 am

Made arrangements for a buddy to take my bike to playa.

Good news: No need to find and buy a bike rack on CraigsList now!

Bad news: He leaves Sunday evening, so now I have to kick my bike decoration plans into high gear! Eep!

Bought a new cooler to replace the sun-warped one that is pretty much toast. Mental note: Store ice chests indoors, not on a rooftop patio in SoCal heat.

Bought a nice folding table for "stuff" inside the yurt. Bought some small storage bins for stuff transport and dust-free storage during the event.

My blue solar LED string lights arrived, and seem to work. Yay!

Last weekend's test of the the swamp cooler was a success. Running bleach solution through to prep cooler for playa action now.

Getting down to brass tacks. I'm going to have to actually start packing stuff real soon now!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”