One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:30 am

AntiM wrote:Looked at my box of L'Oreal Warm Auburn for my icky grey roots. Instead, I cleared the rugs, wrapped the shower curtain in the liner, slathered my ears, neck and face with vaseline, and rummaged in the medicine cabinet. I had half a jar of Manic Panic Ultraviolet, an unopened full one, and a half bottle of Color Fiend Blood Red which was beginning to dry out (cracked top). Now I'm sitting here nekkid with all that in my hair, purple on the roots, red on the long tresses, head wrapped in foil and a plastic bag. How long will I leave it on? Until I get bored. I may even heat it.

I think I need vinegar to help set it in better.

This lady don't need vinegar, She needs HELP!!

scares the hell out of larry

psychoalpha
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Anita

Post by psychoalpha » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:30 am

Made progress on our hexayurt last night and got a huge bag of goodies from a coworker today that I need to evaluate for usefulness. Tutus, glittery pants (awesome, but likely too moopy), wings, etc.

More hexayurt work tonight, plus errands for clear-lense goggles and some plain black t-shirts to alter.

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:43 am

Finished off my Great Big Experiment for the year yesterday. My Tent Cozy. I starts with some of this stuff http://www.radiantguard.com/. It's supposed to reflect 97% of radiant heat. I cut it into panels to fit my tent and ran a strip of gorilla tape over each side of each side edge. Grommets in through the tape/foil sandwich every foot. Laced the grommets together over the tent supports and voila! Instant tent cozy. (Maybe a leeetle bit more complicated (eg, cut door, line with gorilla tape, close with velcro).

The rain fly will go over this which should also help keep it down. I'll probably add tape n grommets to the bottom edge to help it not become a parachute.

Whaddya think? I'm hoping it will make your average tent a whole lot cooler.

Orchid

Post by Orchid » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:51 am

Hmm. That's either genius or it will make your tent do its best impression of a baked potato. I'm curious to hear about your results!

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:54 am

Orchid wrote:
Hmm. That's either genius or it will make your tent do its best impression of a baked potato. I'm curious to hear about your results!
I say you do an art project and fill it full of popcorn.. make a giant Jiffy Pop!!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

EmilyD
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:06 am

AntiM wrote:Looked at my box of L'Oreal Warm Auburn for my icky grey roots. Instead, I cleared the rugs, wrapped the shower curtain in the liner, slathered my ears, neck and face with vaseline, and rummaged in the medicine cabinet. I had half a jar of Manic Panic Ultraviolet, an unopened full one, and a half bottle of Color Fiend Blood Red which was beginning to dry out (cracked top). Now I'm sitting here nekkid with all that in my hair, purple on the roots, red on the long tresses, head wrapped in foil and a plastic bag. How long will I leave it on? Until I get bored. I may even heat it.

I think I need vinegar to help set it in better.
Sooo, how did it turn out? the colors sound yummy.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:10 am

set my waxing appointment :shock:

love the jiffy pop tent.
can't wait to see the the hair Anti-m :)
Rocky Horror... man can't remember the last show I caught :(
hurry week hurry !
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

swampdog

Post by swampdog » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:17 am

The stuff is pretty nifty. It's 2 layers of aluminum with a (I think) plastic/fiber inner layer, so it's pretty tough. The only place I am concerned about it ripping is where I cut it, hence the tape and grommets. The idea behind the lacing (instead of trying to make a solid shape) is to permit some give and adjustment. I think I went way overkill - I think a 3 inch strip of tape on each side for each grommet would have been adequate. But I would rather use extra tape than have V1 fail. But there's almost 2 full rolls of (not cheap) gorilla tape in this baby.

There are other brands of the shiny stuff out there, I'm not shilling for anyone.

I got a 500 sq ft roll - that's 125 linear ft at 4 ft width. So I've got a bunch left and will probably bring it with me if anyone wants to experiment. I used about 36 linear feet on this, about 1/3 of a $90 roll, plus $5 worth of clothesline-type cord, plus $20 of tape. Plus a day or two's work.

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:19 am

swampdog wrote:Finished off my Great Big Experiment for the year yesterday. My Tent Cozy. I starts with some of this stuff http://www.radiantguard.com/. It's supposed to reflect 97% of radiant heat. I cut it into panels to fit my tent and ran a strip of gorilla tape over each side of each side edge. Grommets in through the tape/foil sandwich every foot. Laced the grommets together over the tent supports and voila! Instant tent cozy. (Maybe a leeetle bit more complicated (eg, cut door, line with gorilla tape, close with velcro).

The rain fly will go over this which should also help keep it down. I'll probably add tape n grommets to the bottom edge to help it not become a parachute.

Would one of these work over it?

Bungee Cargo Net

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:26 am

jella wrote: Rocky Horror... man can't remember the last show I caught :(
!
Good new for you, Videogasm at Snowflake Village, Esplanade and 8 or 9, will have a showing at 11:59 Friday night.
But remember its a audience participation show, meaning people will be yelling all kinds of stuff through out the film.
I have an A/P line for almost every line in the movie, that I yell, and was cussed out very strongly by a group of people this past weekend becuase they were there to "watch the movie" They left 3/4 of the way through the movie, during the pool scene...I think it was the "Can I see what Anna Nicole looks like in a swimming pool?" line that got them.
That was the second time something like that has happened in the 300+ times I've done RHPS.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

swampdog

Post by swampdog » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:27 am

Emily D - I don't think so - I'm planning to put the rain fly on top, so that will serve mostly the same purpose, I hope.

Big questions in my mind:
Does heat retained inside make it uncomfortable?
Is it so wind-resistant that the whole tent ends up flat on the playa?
Is it too fragile?
How hard is it going to be to set up? Can I do it single handedly?

As light as it is, does the mass of this strain my very light weight tent frame?

I will post updates! And, I'll let you know at the M&G how it's going.

swampdog

Post by swampdog » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:29 am

Anti-M - look forward to seeing the color job!

Bounce530 - Do you have a link to your "script"?

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:30 am

Bounce530 wrote:
!
Good new for you, Videogasm at Snowflake Village, Esplanade and 8 or 9, will have a showing at 11:59 Friday night.
But remember its a audience participation show, meaning people will be yelling all kinds of stuff through out the film.
I have an A/P line for almost every line in the movie, that I yell, and was cussed out very strongly by a group of people this past weekend becuase they were there to "watch the movie" They left 3/4 of the way through the movie, during the pool scene...I think it was the "Can I see what Anna Nicole looks like in a swimming pool?" line that got them.
That was the second time something like that has happened in the 300+ times I've done RHPS.
Packing my rubber gloves but leaving the moopy wedding rice at home!

Bounce530

Post by Bounce530 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:40 am

I don't have a hard copy script, but did a quick google and this one seems ok...some ap lines are missing.

http://members.multimania.co.uk/Charmin ... script.htm

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:02 pm

@ swampdog:

Personally, I would skip the rain fly over the top. You want to product to reflect the sun, so don't cover those shinny pannels! :) It looks totally awesome though, well done!
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

gerlachedNloaded
Camp Name: ShadeWhores

Post by gerlachedNloaded » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:03 pm

was gifted some creative help from a dear friend for my playa coat.
sleeveless, brown, trenchcoat length,faux wookie fur, flip up collar with turquoise monster fur trim, orange furry utility hoops around waistline (clip all my crap on and go!) and battery powered lights sewn around the bottom hem. better than nothin!
I am HORSE

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:06 pm

I've been shushed once during RHPS, here in Ogden. I loudly informed them that if they wanted to hear the movie, they'd have to rent it. Round of applause.

I dislike scripted callbacks. I really, really dislike an EmCee with a mike, that overrides the audience. No room for originality. I started going in 1977~78, when half the costumes were wild stabs in the dark, and no one knew what was going on with shadow players. The new callbacks are not so witty as the old spontaneous shouts, and too many clutter up the experience.

Jaded old Transylvanian here. I dress up as the narrator. I even have a book and a sequined ascot. I am always searching for a grey velvet smoking jacket.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:25 pm

Yes, AntiM... but what about your HAIR?????

swampdog

Post by swampdog » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:32 pm

Note to self: Keep an eye out for grey velvet smoking jacket for Anti-M

Yeah, I just wondered what those damned kids are up to these days. I was never a big fan, went maybe half a dozen times. So I'll review the script in case there's anything exciting. Lots of it looks like reasons to shout obscenities - it should play into the movie, not just overwhelm it.

Like there's much chance I'll actually make it to the showing anyway, best intentions and playa time being what they are.

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:11 pm

gerlachedNloaded wrote:was gifted some creative help from a dear friend for my playa coat.
sleeveless, brown, trenchcoat length,faux wookie fur, flip up collar with turquoise monster fur trim, orange furry utility hoops around waistline (clip all my crap on and go!) and battery powered lights sewn around the bottom hem. better than nothin!
Photo please, sounds beautiful!

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:13 pm

gaminwench wrote:Yes, AntiM... but what about your HAIR?????
Still damp and piled up. Appears to be grape purple where it was originally dyed auburn, rusty garnet-ish red on the length, brighter red streaks at the temples, and my roots are a silvery-lavender. Apparently my grey is color resistant to temp dyes, LOL. A wash in a couple days may even it out. Or not.

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:13 pm

AntiM wrote:I've been shushed once during RHPS, here in Ogden. I loudly informed them that if they wanted to hear the movie, they'd have to rent it. Round of applause.

I dislike scripted callbacks. I really, really dislike an EmCee with a mike, that overrides the audience. No room for originality. I started going in 1977~78, when half the costumes were wild stabs in the dark, and no one knew what was going on with shadow players. The new callbacks are not so witty as the old spontaneous shouts, and too many clutter up the experience.

Jaded old Transylvanian here. I dress up as the narrator. I even have a book and a sequined ascot. I am always searching for a grey velvet smoking jacket.
"It's just a jump to the left."

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:16 pm

All of my stuff is on it's way to the playa sans coolers.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

swampdog

Post by swampdog » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:40 pm

All of my stuff is on it's way to the playa sans coolers.
woohoo!

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:52 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:All of my stuff is on it's way to the playa sans coolers.
YES! That must be such a great feeling.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

psychoalpha
Camp Name: Camp Anita

Post by psychoalpha » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:33 pm

Bleaching and dyeing my friend's mohawk bright neon orange tonight (and cleaning up the sides of it). Bleaching the remaining green out of my hair sometime tomorrow in order to dye it purple.

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:28 pm

Taught myself flower implosions just in time to make a few new gifts.. :wink:

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:34 pm

prrreeettyyy....
don't forget to floss

MisaBlue

Post by MisaBlue » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:48 pm

Bounce530 wrote:
!
Really, really? It is my dream to, at least once in my life, attend Rocky Horror Picture Show in US with the participating audience!!! :twisted:

I finished both my costumes, I am almost packed and it seems I will fit in one suitcase (48 lbs) - incredible, I am going to pick second liter of homemade slivovice in the morning and I made cards with my contact info (it is ugly but all the info is there :) )

And I have not blue hair :cry: It is just too expensive for me...but I still have my blue eyes, which will be smiling on you soon :wink:

Bounce530

Post by Bounce530 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:13 pm

You just can't throw anything so, no rice, tp, bagels, hot dogs, cards, condoms, snakes, doritos, etc...but everything else is fine.
btw- Videogasm at Snowflake Village is at Esplanade and 8:30.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”