One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:26 pm

toast on a string? Somebody posted that they had never seen rocky horror on a big screen. I had never seen it on video until this year, and it was fun to see it again after soooooo many years, but not fun fun, if you know what I mean.

LIPS!!!!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Would it be bragging to say I've seen the stage production in London?

kman

Post by kman » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:46 pm

MisaBlue wrote:
Bounce530 wrote:
jella wrote: Rocky Horror... man can't remember the last show I caught :(
!
Good new for you, Videogasm at Snowflake Village, Esplanade and 8 or 9, will have a showing at 11:59 Friday night.
But remember its a audience participation show, meaning people will be yelling all kinds of stuff through out the film.
I have an A/P line for almost every line in the movie, that I yell, and was cussed out very strongly by a group of people this past weekend becuase they were there to "watch the movie" They left 3/4 of the way through the movie, during the pool scene...I think it was the "Can I see what Anna Nicole looks like in a swimming pool?" line that got them.
That was the second time something like that has happened in the 300+ times I've done RHPS.
Really, really? It is my dream to, at least once in my life, attend Rocky Horror Picture Show in US with the participating audience!!! :twisted:

I finished both my costumes, I am almost packed and it seems I will fit in one suitcase (48 lbs) - incredible, I am going to pick second liter of homemade slivovice in the morning and I made cards with my contact info (it is ugly but all the info is there :) )

And I have not blue hair :cry: It is just too expensive for me...but I still have my blue eyes, which will be smiling on you soon :wink:
Nuart Theater in Santa Monica, CA.

One of the best casts in the world.

http://www.sinsotheflesh.org/

Just a suggestion. :)

And I'm not just biased because I have so many friend in the cast... they've won awards!

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:28 pm

psychoalpha wrote:Bleaching and dyeing my friend's mohawk bright neon orange tonight (and cleaning up the sides of it). Bleaching the remaining green out of my hair sometime tomorrow in order to dye it purple.
Hoooray for purple! I was going to repurple my hair today but alas had to get my mouth looked at yet again! At least I finally got a diagnosis...not toothache, not shingles, a fucking stress-related mouth ulcer!!! Anyway the doc assured me that I'll be fine by our departure date. I'm supposed to gargle some gooey stuff and take Vicodine ;-)
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Bling

Post by Bling » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:31 pm

Yay!!!! So glad it's NOT shingles & will be GONE soon!

hollywallydoodle

Post by hollywallydoodle » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:42 pm

EmilyD wrote: Hoooray for purple Vicodin ;-)
tee hee.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:49 pm

hollywallydoodle wrote:
EmilyD wrote: Hoooray for purple Vicodin ;-)
tee hee.
Tee three.

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:17 am

kman wrote:
MisaBlue wrote:
Bounce530 wrote: Good new for you, Videogasm at Snowflake Village, Esplanade and 8 or 9, will have a showing at 11:59 Friday night.
But remember its a audience participation show, meaning people will be yelling all kinds of stuff through out the film.
I have an A/P line for almost every line in the movie, that I yell, and was cussed out very strongly by a group of people this past weekend becuase they were there to "watch the movie" They left 3/4 of the way through the movie, during the pool scene...I think it was the "Can I see what Anna Nicole looks like in a swimming pool?" line that got them.
That was the second time something like that has happened in the 300+ times I've done RHPS.
Really, really? It is my dream to, at least once in my life, attend Rocky Horror Picture Show in US with the participating audience!!! :twisted:

I finished both my costumes, I am almost packed and it seems I will fit in one suitcase (48 lbs) - incredible, I am going to pick second liter of homemade slivovice in the morning and I made cards with my contact info (it is ugly but all the info is there :) )

And I have not blue hair :cry: It is just too expensive for me...but I still have my blue eyes, which will be smiling on you soon :wink:
Nuart Theater in Santa Monica, CA.

One of the best casts in the world.

http://www.sinsotheflesh.org/

Just a suggestion. :)

And I'm not just biased because I have so many friend in the cast... they've won awards!
:) Gotta love the home town crew. Been going to Nuart production since I moved to Los Angeles from Orange County. :)
AND they are totally awesome. Love it.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:59 am

EmilyD wrote:
psychoalpha wrote:Bleaching and dyeing my friend's mohawk bright neon orange tonight (and cleaning up the sides of it). Bleaching the remaining green out of my hair sometime tomorrow in order to dye it purple.
Hoooray for purple! I was going to repurple my hair today but alas had to get my mouth looked at yet again! At least I finally got a diagnosis...not toothache, not shingles, a fucking stress-related mouth ulcer!!! Anyway the doc assured me that I'll be fine by our departure date. I'm supposed to gargle some gooey stuff and take Vicodine ;-)
So glad it wasn't more serious. My best to you.

Found my extra van key last night. (Whew!) I've also found that I'm in need of multiple self imposed safety nets. I just hate being unprepared!
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:15 pm

Clar-i-ty wrote:
EmilyD wrote:
So glad it wasn't more serious. My best to you.

Found my extra van key last night. (Whew!) I've also found that I'm in need of multiple self imposed safety nets. I just hate being unprepared!
Thanks Clarity. WTF is with this weather???! It went from 50 to 100 in 48 hours. We're not set up for this here.

Glad you found your extra key. safety nets = good. Safety 1st - 3rd! ;-)

Today's item...nothing but last night around midnight I almost finished my 2 pairs of boot covers. Finishing and photos soon.

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:58 pm

I'M SO CLOSE TO FINISHING MY BIKE UGGH can't focus. Possibly should eat dinner as it's 10 pm...

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:35 am

I've been hunting every thrift store in town for a fur coat, to modify, since I've run out of time to learn how to make a coat and then make a coat. I even drove the Good Will on 'the nice side of town' they always had fur coats, though during the summer their selection is thin. And my thin they would only fit a petite little lady. No luck.
Though the RV is in the shop getting the drive train checked out, cause our lift/garage are not long enough for a 34 footer. Guy says we need 3 new tires, I think we only need two. We still need to get the Cab AC working (R-12 to R-134) conversion.
Speaking of which has anyone ever had luck with a product known as 'Freeze 12' supposed to be a safe legal alternative to R-12.
RV guys say front and rear brakes look almost new. And front and rear suspension air bags look great (phew!). So I'm feeling pretty good!

4 days tell departure!!!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

jella
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:17 am

Have you tried craigslist ?
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:57 am

jella wrote:Have you tried craigslist ?
NO! What a great idea! I only ever think to look at CL for gear and parts! How could I have forgoten!
Jella thank you very much!

A quick search returned tons of possible options!
Compared to mens sizes, what size is a ladies 12? I wear an XL shirt, XXL if 100% cotton and will shrink, would a 12 ladies coat fit me?
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:01 am

Never tried the freeze12 but I've had good results with Duracool, it's compatible with R-12 and you don't need as much. 6oz of duracool = 19oz of R12, if the rest is in working order just empty this will do the trick. Then you don't have to convert that thing, saving you some $! I would however vacuum the system down before charging.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:17 am

Jackass wrote:Never tried the freeze12 but I've had good results with Duracool, it's compatible with R-12 and you don't need as much. 6oz of duracool = 19oz of R12, if the rest is in working order just empty this will do the trick. Then you don't have to convert that thing, saving you some $! I would however vacuum the system down before charging.
If you're talking the Duracool 12-a, it is readily available, but also combustible. And not recommended by the EPA. Not to say I really care what the EPA recommends, but I only know a little about this sorta thing, and I'd rather not deal with something that is flammable.
I've looked at lots of different options, and I think I'm just gonna get an R12 to R134 conversion kit. What I do like about the Freeze 12 is that it uses the same mineral oil lubricant as R12 so there is no need to change the lubricant. It also runs at a similar pressure as R12, were R134 is a higher pressure, and your supposed to change out some stuff that I don't know anything about.
But everything I'm saying is just stuff I've read on RV.net and other stuff i've read on line. I've never done this before, so we'll see how it goes.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:22 am

Hay Nick, don't worry about the A/C; it's going to be so cold on the playa this year that you won't need it. Now a good heater on the other hand...

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:38 am

illy dilly wrote:
jella wrote:Have you tried craigslist ?
NO! What a great idea! I only ever think to look at CL for gear and parts! How could I have forgoten!
Jella thank you very much!

A quick search returned tons of possible options!
Compared to mens sizes, what size is a ladies 12? I wear an XL shirt, XXL if 100% cotton and will shrink, would a 12 ladies coat fit me?
No, it will not. You're going to want to look for something between a size 18 and 22. 18 will be snug, 22 will be a little loose. For letter sizes, xxl or xxxl in women's should fit. :) hope that helps.

gerlachedNloaded
Camp Name: ShadeWhores

Post by gerlachedNloaded » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:47 am

fur coats are whack to convert sizes. mine was supposedly a 22, and everything fit losely as it should, except for the arms. they were entirely too short and very much uncomfortably tight. keep that in mind dilly mang. i ended up tearing em off to make it wearable.
I am HORSE

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:50 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:Hay Nick, don't worry about the A/C; it's going to be so cold on the playa this year that you won't need it. Now a good heater on the other hand...
I'm talking the dash AC, the 24hr drive there isn't gonna cold at all! Except through Utah/Nevada border area at 2am.
The roof mount AC is so working great and so cold, BDV is now the second second ice sale on the 3 o'clock side.
VeganChoirGirl wrote: No, it will not. You're going to want to look for something between a size 18 and 22. 18 will be snug, 22 will be a little loose. For letter sizes, xxl or xxxl in women's should fit. ::smile:: hope that helps.
VCG, thanks for the tips! Not real experienced with ladies sizes. Shit, i'm still not sure what size men's dress shirt I wear!

jella
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:00 pm

if ya find a coat ya like but the sleeves are too short just add a fur cuff to lengthen :) and for too tight if where the arm attaches is ok thenyou can split the sleeve at the bottom and add a coordinating panel for width.

I agree with VCG ladies xl- xxxl would be the best bet
happy hunting
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:10 pm

Hunting season is almost over!!! And I haven't bagged a single Fur Faux!!!
I may get stuck running to the army surplus and picking up an 'irregular' carhart and cutting off the sleeves.

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:18 pm

Popup trailer is at the shop for it's safety check. The list is getting smaller and smaller. 4 Days to go!

psychoalpha
Camp Name: Camp Anita

Post by psychoalpha » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:17 pm

Final massive errand-running trip today for hot pants, extra goggles, a P-style, a coat to mod, and various toiletries! And the hair goes purple tonight!

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:34 pm

psychoalpha wrote:Final massive errand-running trip today for hot pants, extra goggles, a P-style, a coat to mod, and various toiletries! And the hair goes purple tonight!
Hooooray! I'm re-purpling this very minute! What brand, and name of color do you use?

psychoalpha
Camp Name: Camp Anita

Post by psychoalpha » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:46 pm

I'm a pretty die-hard Special Effects fan. Been using it ever since I first dyed my hair an unnatural color in 2000.

In terms of purple, I always use either Purple Smoke or Wildflower. Going with Wildflower tonight!

You?

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:58 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:For letter sizes, xxl or xxxl in women's should fit. :) hope that helps.
Illy- I'm your typical pot-bellied 'mercan male, and xxl or larger fits me. Like Gerlach said, the cut is different, but it should fit in general.

One suggestion- instead of cutting the sleeves off the coat, slit them on the hem & then sew (or glue with Sobo) some fabric there to increase the size. Keeps the sleeves for warmth....
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:18 pm

illy dilly wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:Hay Nick, don't worry about the A/C; it's going to be so cold on the playa this year that you won't need it. Now a good heater on the other hand...
I'm talking the dash AC, the 24hr drive there isn't gonna cold at all! Except through Utah/Nevada border area at 2am.
The roof mount AC is so working great and so cold, BDV is now the second second ice sale on the 3 o'clock side.
VeganChoirGirl wrote: No, it will not. You're going to want to look for something between a size 18 and 22. 18 will be snug, 22 will be a little loose. For letter sizes, xxl or xxxl in women's should fit. ::smile:: hope that helps.
VCG, thanks for the tips! Not real experienced with ladies sizes. Shit, i'm still not sure what size men's dress shirt I wear!
Measure arround your neck and then the measurement from the middle of the shoulder to just bellow the wrist. Combine the two (17 1/2x37 for example) or whatever. Voila. men's dress shirt size.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:05 pm

Dang, VCG, you're some sort of garment wizz.
I'm impressed.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:13 pm

psychoalpha wrote:I'm a pretty die-hard Special Effects fan. Been using it ever since I first dyed my hair an unnatural color in 2000.

In terms of purple, I always use either Purple Smoke or Wildflower. Going with Wildflower tonight!

You?

I also use Special Effects but Deep Purple. My hair is 1/2 white so I don't need to bleach it. At last...my premature silver is an advantage! ;-)

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”