EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:26 am

C.f.M. wrote:
EmilyD wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:...I am very, very not ready to go. :shock:
When do you leave C.f.M.?
Gettin' up at 4 a.m. tomorrow to be by airport @ 5 a.m. for 6 a.m. flight...want to go to bed as early as I can, it's going to be a long, anxiety-riddled day.

I'm pretty much packed, there's some overflow to deal with.

The main problem was I didn't get the cloak I was making for nights finished, so now I have to figure out a coat and all that stuff (the cloak was to have pockets especially designed for carrying stuff)...my friend came up from another town to help me through the 1-week anniversary of what happened, but he's been more of a distraction than a help.

And I am sitting at work with NOTHING TO DO but keep the to-do list growing...!!
((((((((((((((C.f.M.)))))))))))))))) sorry your friend wasn't more helpful.

Not that you asked for advice (and ignore it if you just wanted to vent) but...is there any way you can finish sewing the cloak on the airplane? Also, try as I might I've NEVER been able to sleep enough before having to get up really early. Might as well use that time for some work if you can. You could stay up and finish the cloak and then sleep on the plane. Another option is to wear a big ass belt under the cloak with caribeeners attached to it for hanging shit off of. I found a few of these belts at Target (on sale even) and they have either holes punched in them or are braided leather (with room for caribeeners to be pushed through.) Okay I'll shut up now.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:38 am

Oh, he's been helpful...just not to my productivity. :twisted:

I made a belt I could wear,

http://playabound.wordpress.com/2010/08 ... costuming/

it's the lining that I'm stuck pinning and repinning. I did consider taking it on the plane - if I get the lining done tonight, I'll just take the pockets. It's several yards of fabric and would take up space around me, in the seat!

Silly cold weather.

When do you leave?

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:06 pm

C.f.M. wrote:Oh, he's been helpful...just not to my productivity. :twisted:

I made a belt I could wear,

http://playabound.wordpress.com/2010/08 ... costuming/

it's the lining that I'm stuck pinning and repinning. I did consider taking it on the plane - if I get the lining done tonight, I'll just take the pockets. It's several yards of fabric and would take up space around me, in the seat!

Silly cold weather.

When do you leave?
Well you certainly don't want to have to pay for a seat for your cloak lining that's for sure! LOL!

We leave tomorrow for Reno and stay overnight, then head to the Playa on Tuesday AM. We're hoping to miss both the rain and the gate clusterfuck.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:43 pm

EmilyD wrote:We leave tomorrow for Reno and stay overnight, then head to the Playa on Tuesday AM. We're hoping to miss both the rain and the gate clusterfuck.
Good luck! I think it'd be kinda neat to see the rain...not set up in it, but all that wide open space and rain sounds pretty.

I usually take wellies and an umbrella - or just run around nekkid - but not in a hippie kinda way - here (rains pretty expected, afternoon summer storms) but will have neither.

[youtube][/youtube]

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:18 am

SilverOrange

Post by SilverOrange » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:48 am

Elorrum wrote:ordered my new gear trunk...
That's just awesome! I think that would work great for our kitchen! Pack all of the kitchen stuff inside and be good to go. Waterproof too! You'll have to come back and give your impression. Did you spring for the "Nearly New" or used?

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:25 pm

That is NIIIIIIIIIIICE! I love the color too, not your typical military hue.

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:46 pm

went with "used, good condition" figured it wasn't going to be real nice for long. a few dents won't matter. I'll let you know how it looks.

It's just a good manageable size, and aluminum, so hopefully light. I think this will be so useful and a good space saver. Shit, it's cool and I waaaaaaannnnnnit. Have a couple of interactive project ideas, and the tables will be perfect.

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:46 pm

Thing for the day: Trying to figure out how to get everything down to two suit cases and a carry on.
We break to remind us how to mend.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:43 pm

That is a sweet thing, Ellorum. Let us know how rugged it is when you have it, please.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:52 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:That is a sweet thing, Ellorum. Let us know how rugged it is when you have it, please.
I'm wondering how tall those tables are.

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:03 pm

EmilyD wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:That is a sweet thing, Ellorum. Let us know how rugged it is when you have it, please.
kit box is as high as the tables, so 30" high, 18x30 table top.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:17 am

FaeTora wrote:Thing for the day: Trying to figure out how to get everything down to two suit cases and a carry on.
Ah-no. Next year, I am shipping or sending everything.

My one suitcase, due to weight, cost me $125 EACH WAY to take.

83.5lbs, if you wanted to know.

My backpack and carry-on were also stuffed, and it was a pain. Usually, I fly with a vintage stewardess bag and that's it!

But, it's def possible to fit it all - if you have awesome campmates that loan you a tent and bed!

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:20 am

C.f.M. wrote:
FaeTora wrote:Thing for the day: Trying to figure out how to get everything down to two suit cases and a carry on.
Ah-no. Next year, I am shipping or sending everything.

My one suitcase, due to weight, cost me $125 EACH WAY to take.

83.5lbs, if you wanted to know.

My backpack and carry-on were also stuffed, and it was a pain. Usually, I fly with a vintage stewardess bag and that's it!

But, it's def possible to fit it all - if you have awesome campmates that loan you a tent and bed!

85.5 plus? Takes a bunch of make up to bring yall up to standard huh?

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:43 am

Make-up? Face powder w/ SPF 50 and some tooth black-out, that was it for make-up.

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:56 am

Elorrum wrote:
EmilyD wrote:
kit box is as high as the tables, so 30" high, 18x30 table top.
Low but not too low. Sounds like a great piece of equipment. Keep us posted on it.

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:20 pm

see, I am thinking of supping up my tent and just bringing a few blankets to sleep on (which is what I did half the time anyways). I spent so much money getting stuff there. nope. Not next year. I am starting now. Planning meals based on what should be in Reno when I fly in and the whole nne yards. I will do it if it kills someone else becase I'm going home again!
We break to remind us how to mend.

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:50 pm

oh my! Big box on my patio when I got home. Verrr heavy. hmm. Ordered on Sunday! Pretty darn fast, I'd say. Gonna go out now and see what's what. pictures soon.

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:08 pm

if that's good/used condition, I wonder how much better the extra 50 bucks would be for near new. It's been repainted... the rubber handles are blue as well. It's very heavy. The claim of it being aluminum... well, I'm not sure. Feels more like a steel ammo can. The case is double walled, as are the shelves inside it. I can just about lift it empty, but if I filled it up, it would certainly be a two person task to move it, or lift it into a car. Can fill it after it's in the car I guess. not a scratch or dent on it that I can see.
good desk height from a folding chair, which are a little low usually. the tables lower level is needed to keep them open. They snap into place with some little buttons on the flat portion that fit into some slots. tables are very sturdy. The rubber seal is in the table edges. might be a tight fit after the playa coats it all. Seal is in very good condition. Really, I wonder if it's been used at all. I took some photos, but really the website's photos are spot on for the unit I got. Good vendor. They even refunded me some of the shipping cost since they sent it fedex, and not usps, after I noticed the price difference. When I placed my order, the fedex shipping was not offered as an option, and paypal just added 49 dollars shipping. I got refunded 32 dollars after I emailed about the discrepancy (yesterday!) FAST.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:30 pm

LIke the design.. Think I could rip one out of a sheet of 3/8 pwood

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:00 am

Oiled our teak garden bench. It has been to the playa and other events for ten years now; we use it as the comp "coffee table". The legs fold up, and the top is slats on flat elastic, the whole thing rolls up into a nice little bundle which has a carry bag. Looks like it needs a few new staples in the bands which hold the slats as one piece, other than that, it has held up remarkably well. First time I've ever done more than wash it off.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:42 am

bump
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:30 am

This past weekend I got some eye drops and Tasty Bites on clearance...and thought "It never ends."

Every day...Burning Man.

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:54 pm

C.f.M. wrote:This past weekend I got some eye drops and Tasty Bites on clearance...and thought "It never ends."

Every day...Burning Man.
I feel ya'

I was out at the farmers market and got pulled into the army/navy surplus and bought a few things. I figure...if you just buy things when you see a good deal, it works out better in the end anyhow.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:19 pm

my only things so far are ideas. And money. I'm trying really hard to put away a few dollars a day.
It's going to be alright.

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:31 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:This past weekend I got some eye drops and Tasty Bites on clearance...and thought "It never ends."

Every day...Burning Man.
I feel ya'

I was out at the farmers market and got pulled into the army/navy surplus and bought a few things. I figure...if you just buy things when you see a good deal, it works out better in the end anyhow.
Good points. spread it out over the year. Here's my dilemma: I already have more burning man things, than I ever brought to burning man. I buy extras as being good for "gifts" then I don't bring them, or don't gift them. Still, Lexan sporks with built in caribiner at 75 cents on Sierra Trading post... couldn't pass those up. (What if Sarah Winchester had been a burner?)

Thanks for bumping, figjam... I wonder what plans you have brewing for next year?

danibel

Post by danibel » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:32 pm

Yes, thanks for the bump Figjam. I love this thread. My most recent BM item a day was a purple bustier with matching black tutu off ebay. Not sure if I will actually wear it on the playa - how in the world did women breath in the old days?! But it's really sexy and cute and I may have to pull it out for Burn night just because.

I've been hounding CL for a good deal on a cargo van, but I seem to be a step behind some other rascal.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:06 pm

I found some full sized cago vans that a guy is bringing from cali.

Thier dish network fleet.

2004 chevy 3/4 ton 4.8 vortec, 20mpg $5900. 100k miles.

they seem perfect.

He has them all the time
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

danibel

Post by danibel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:18 pm

That is a bit beyond my budget. My max is $3500. But thanks for the tip. Every month I save a bit more :)

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Hualed some scrap metal home for this years comtaption..

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”