One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:47 am

C.f.M. wrote:
lazerfox wrote:went to Goodwill and found the exact pair of boots I wanted...it was so meant to be I was floored.

(plus 2 dresses :D )
That's great!

I went to Goodwill and repeated "Iwillnotbuystuffforbmyet" over and over while I poked around.
gooo Fox. CFM, I am right there with you. I am trying to WAIT this year. Many of the things I purchased early in the season last year didn't get worn much or at all. :P I CAN show restraint...at least I tell myself that.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:09 am

I want one of those "storage tents" aka toilet/shower..

Guess a cheap one from walmart and stake it down good on the playa..

Already use a Lug-A-Lu and water heating bag..

Just like to keep the dust off while showering..

lazerfox
Burning Since: 2011

Post by lazerfox » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:17 am

VeganChoirGirl wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:
lazerfox wrote:went to Goodwill and found the exact pair of boots I wanted...it was so meant to be I was floored.

(plus 2 dresses :D )
That's great!

I went to Goodwill and repeated "Iwillnotbuystuffforbmyet" over and over while I poked around.
gooo Fox. CFM, I am right there with you. I am trying to WAIT this year. Many of the things I purchased early in the season last year didn't get worn much or at all. :P I CAN show restraint...at least I tell myself that.
Hi C.F.M. & VeganChoirGirl! *waves*

I am applying absolutely no restraint apparently...but I think it is my virgin personality...hahaha

However, I'm only visiting thrift stores desperately searching for a hooded coat that I do not want to end up making...so far no luck (thriftin or online) :cry:

EDIT to include my item: more TULLE so I could finish my tutu!!

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:05 am

Find a coat you like. Find something with a hood you like. Combine. Be patient on the coat, post-season sales will be coming up soon.

I did get a sleep mask, the other day. Generally I toss a shirt or whatever over my face, but this thing seems pretty nifty.

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:37 am

OR buy a firemans outfit!! :)
don't forget to floss

jella
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:38 am

Item today....finally making good on promised bottle of Almond champagne
(took forever to find in the rv after BM) :(
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:41 am

jella wrote:Item today....finally making good on promised bottle of Almond champagne
(took forever to find in the rv after BM) :(
:shock:

... :shock:

:D :D :D :D :D :D

jella

Post by jella » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:45 am

So it's a little more aged..hehe 8)
And a trip to burningman could only have improved on it's flavor hehe
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:52 am

THANK YOU!! I think I will save it for when I buy my ticket, to celebrate!

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:44 pm

Jella's almond champagne is DANGEROUS! You're drunk before you know it. But I think Jella know's EXACTLY what she's doing!
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

jella

Post by jella » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:56 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote: I think Jella know's EXACTLY what she's doing!
Shhhhh you'll blow my cover 8)

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:22 pm

put baskets on hubby's bike, hokey spokes on mine.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:24 pm

and a heads up if anyone is looking for some hokey spokes are on sale on their website. cheapest i've ever seen them. 20 bucks for the rainbow ones.

graidawg
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:54 am

[quote="Elorrum"]just ordered one of these for my nephew's graduation present... and wtf, added one for me too!
[youtube][/youtube]
should go well with these cups I got on ebay a few years back. Stop by for some coffee!
[img]http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w344 ... yacups.jpg[/img][/quote][b]
OMG iwantoneofthose[/b]
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:57 am

graidawg, please go to your profile and enable the BBCode so all your quotes/links etc will work.

Rilopie
Burning Since: 2008

Post by Rilopie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:49 pm

Rented our minivan today! I was shocked that so many vehicles are already sold out in the bay area and sacramento.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:26 pm

Elorrum wrote:just ordered one of these for my nephew's graduation present... and wtf, added one for me too!
[youtube][/youtube]
should go well with these cups I got on ebay a few years back. Stop by for some coffee!
oh yeah, that coffee presso makes nice coffee.

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:53 pm

ordered a gizmo thing so kenman can solder the damned el-wwire without me having to help. i'm busy "researching" on eplaya

i know el-wire is old to some of you, but it's new to us and kinda fun to play with.

jella

Post by jella » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:53 pm

With help from Figment (hubby) I got a duct tape dummy finished now I can start my coat :)
[/img]

delle

Post by delle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:56 am

So Jella....... do you love it? Is it all you hoped for? My guy and I are hopefully making one today. Probably the paper packing tape version tho. I've been reading and reading on these things for the last week or so, and have decided that it's TIME!

I have very unevenly slopey shoulders and have decided that it would be kind of nice to have a form that truly reflects them.

Did you opt for hanger or for stand? What are you packing it with? On one of the sites I visited they inserted a quality (formed) wooden hanger, then loosely packed it with crumpled newspaper, sealed up the bottom and arm holes and then carefully filled with low-expansion insulation foam. This just seemed like a really sturdy (tho still easy and cheap) way to go..... It can hang off a chain from the ceiling beam when in use, but be tucked or hung away when having my unsightly nudie form around isn't appropriate.

I also liked the alternative of getting an old, cheap sturdy floorlamp - cutting the post to the proper height then attaching it to a wooden base with a pipe flange.... but frankly I don't have the space on the floor. And there's a tickle-factor to the thought of having me floating from the ceiling....
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

lambert13

Post by lambert13 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:10 am

I bought a hydration pack yesterday. Got it at Walmart for $29 +/-.

Out of all the packs I have looked at, this one has the best storage capability for its size. 2 zippered compartments and a middle space to store stuff that does not need to be very protected.

The 2 liter bladder seems pretty decent. Did a leak test and so far so good. I do plan on buying a better quality bladder for it and using the one that came with it as a backup. Even if I buy a good quality Camelbak or similar bladder I will still come out ahead as far as price.

Last night I started to outfit it with various LED blinky lights that I disassembled from stuff I got on clearance around Halloween.
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:32 am

delle wrote:Did you opt for hanger or for stand? What are you packing it with? On one of the sites I visited they inserted a quality (formed) wooden hanger, then loosely packed it with crumpled newspaper, sealed up the bottom and arm holes and then carefully filled with low-expansion insulation foam. This just seemed like a really sturdy (tho still easy and cheap) way to go..... It can hang off a chain from the ceiling beam when in use, but be tucked or hung away when having my unsightly nudie form around isn't appropriate.

I also liked the alternative of getting an old, cheap sturdy floorlamp - cutting the post to the proper height then attaching it to a wooden base with a pipe flange.... but frankly I don't have the space on the floor. And there's a tickle-factor to the thought of having me floating from the ceiling....
The problem with it hanging is keeping it still while you're trying to pin and work on it. The problem with a pole is affixing it to one stationary position on said pole.

Pillow stuffing works fine. I don't have one ("I'll make one once I get the weight off..." - me for years and years), but I've made them. Only duct-tape, though, haven't tried packing tape.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:35 am

lambert13 wrote:I bought a hydration pack yesterday. Got it at Walmart for $29 +/-.

Out of all the packs I have looked at, this one has the best storage capability for its size. 2 zippered compartments and a middle space to store stuff that does not need to be very protected.

The 2 liter bladder seems pretty decent. Did a leak test and so far so good. I do plan on buying a better quality bladder for it and using the one that came with it as a backup. Even if I buy a good quality Camelbak or similar bladder I will still come out ahead as far as price.
Check out Platypus (scroll down towards the end for the Camelbak v Platypus):

http://playabound.wordpress.com/2010/08 ... -piles-up/

If I was still using the bladder, that's what I'd use.

I had a cheap one from Target. Really liked the bag. Didn't last the week. Getting a backpack you like and then adding the bladder (they come in 1-3L) is the way to go.

delle

Post by delle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:27 am

C.f.M. wrote: The problem with it hanging is keeping it still while you're trying to pin and work on it. The problem with a pole is affixing it to one stationary position on said pole.
Hadn't even thought of the swing and sway factor.

I have submitted the problem to my think-tank-solution-finder-tinkerer-extraordinaire (aka, husband). I'll let you know if we come up with anything interesting as a solution.

Thinking also that I might just go with pillow stuffing for the timebeing, as I do have alot of it at the moment (having bags of batt I removed from my overstuffed couches a few years ago and saved "just in case"). After checking my budget this morning, I don't have the money for the insulation today anyhow. Figure it could be done later if and when decided worthwhile.

Thanks for the input!
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:38 am

Pillow stuffings fine...and lighter and a lot cheaper. It takes - well, you're pretty petite, but it takes a lot of that foam stuff to fill those things up. I would recommend duct tape, though. Seems less tearable than paper tape.

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:39 am

I took the bike down from the rafters in the garage and knocked some of the dust off of it and took it down to Chico for ride around the park. It's the first time I've rode it since BM.

*not my pic, but that's where I went riding.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

jella

Post by jella » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:03 am

delle wrote:So Jella....... do you love it? Is it all you hoped for? My guy and I are hopefully making one today. Probably the paper packing tape version tho. I've been reading and reading on these things for the last week or so, and have decided that it's TIME!

I have very unevenly slopey shoulders and have decided that it would be kind of nice to have a form that truly reflects them.
It turned out ok..It's so weird looking at yourself. I have a sloped shoulder too :shock: . hehe. I stuffed it with a combo of newspapaer and pillow stuffing. So far I just have it sitting on the table but I plan to mount it to a stand.

lambert13

Post by lambert13 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:15 am

C.f.M. wrote:
Check out Platypus (scroll down towards the end for the Camelbak v Platypus):

http://playabound.wordpress.com/2010/08 ... -piles-up/

If I was still using the bladder, that's what I'd use.

I had a cheap one from Target. Really liked the bag. Didn't last the week. Getting a backpack you like and then adding the bladder (they come in 1-3L) is the way to go.
Thanks for the tip! I think I might go with the Platypus. The reviews around the web are much better for them than they are for Camelbak brand.
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:45 am

lambert13 wrote:Thanks for the tip! I think I might go with the Platypus. The reviews around the web are much better for them than they are for Camelbak brand.
You're quite welcome - it was fun. My Camelbak lovin' friend surmised some sort of rubber ring had fallen off the bladder I had, hence the leaking.

I ended up going with two of the 1L (one on each hip) and I will never buy another water bottle again!

Bonus: the empty rolls up so light and small, you can stick it in your backpack and, once you're through TSA, fill it up with water for the flight.

I also like that it was easier to tell when you were running low.

Cuz airport prices are STOOPID.

I did get some free SUPER POWER MEGA HEALTH GREEN SHIT vitamins, I stock up during the year and take them at BM. Dunno if it makes a difference, but it don't hurt none.

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:40 pm

Bounce530, I love Bidwell Park and the pool too. Only 60 days till Spring... I gots moola this year, I'm on SSI now. I didn't get a low income ticket last year. I'll apply earlier this year.
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”