One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
LemurLad

Post by LemurLad » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:39 pm

Yes YES YESSS! Ticket is got. :) I'll dust off my goggles, pick up some bacon and start walking.
~All who wander are not lost~

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:36 am

MyDearFriend wrote:Ooooh, I got out my new garden sprayers tonight just to see if I could make the whole Playa-Showa thing work, I put a dishpan on the floor, mixed up some Doc Bronners and was very happy to discover I could wash this butt-length hair and my whole body with just a couple of quarts of water. Of course I didn't have playa dust to deal with but still, I feel quite pleased with myself!

8) 8) 8)
Just think what an asset it will be when water rationing hits the big time...

Yeah, I'm a Californian, morning the Delta...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:47 pm

Spent too much on solar and battery operated lights at Big Lots today. I still want all the solar figures, peacocks and frogs and tikis and butterflies!

Got solar post caps, which are supposed to go on as fence post caps, but will look good on the top of the HFWA. More batter operated LED crystal butterflies, and solar string lights shaped like suns and lanterns.

A new one gallon sprayer fo rmy personal bidet. The old one was getting leaky.

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:52 pm

MY low income ticket came in the mail Saturday. I drug out my hammock from storage but found it was destroyed by mildew over the Winter, I'll have to replace it. Some LED light batteries need replacing also. I have most everything already, just need to repair/ replace worn-out things...
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

geospyder

Post by geospyder » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:45 pm

Working on a hardhat. So far I have a 30 led mohawk pattern. Tail and decals are next.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

The Hustler
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by The Hustler » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:46 am

I did reconnaissance on prices of stuff, my route to BRC and related stuff.

I plan to make use of my free monthly trial of Amazon Prime and their oddly fluctuating prices on the more expensive stuff like a tent and shade.

I thought about building a yurt, but that can wait until my second Burning Man. The tent I have in mind has good ratings, is inexpensive, packs pretty small and has more than enough room for me and the piles of naked women I plan to have crawling on me. Parts of that might not be true. I might be able to get the tent cheaper at a BX, but it depends.

The local REI in Austin has some pretty good deals on some of the basic stuff.

I have the preliminary mental plan of how I'll pack the car also.

I generally have detailed but flexible plans and try to be prepared, it allows me to really make shit up as I go along.

It turns out my drive to BRC brings me close to two Air Force bases where I can stay for $32 a night (really, no taxes or fees, but irritating AF people), and they happen to be at the stopping points on the way. It's better than having my car fucked with at a sleazy motel which will probably cost more anyway.

(Don't get me wrong, I love sleazy motels, but with a car loaded with gear thousands of miles from anywhere and a very limited budget, I don't want to fuck around)

So that's what I have done so far.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:50 am

got the truck reserved today

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:52 am

Got some more eebah string lights, in color this time. Red's and blues..Don't know what I'm going to use them for, but hell..blinky led lights, ya know?!

Also, since my house has returned to Bachelor status, I was able to pull out the indoor burning bin, and am starting to take invo's, on what's in there, whats needed, etc...
What other people think about you is none of your business.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:20 am

It turns out my drive to BRC brings me close to two Air Force bases where I can stay for $32 a night (really, no taxes or fees, but irritating AF people), and they happen to be at the stopping points on the way. It's better than having my car fucked with at a sleazy motel which will probably cost more anyway.

(Don't get me wrong, I love sleazy motels, but with a car loaded with gear thousands of miles from anywhere and a very limited budget, I don't want to fuck around)
I would totally take advantage of such a cheap deal; I can't imagine who wouldn't. Cheaper, more secure, and (I imagine) cleaner.

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:59 am

Savannah wrote:

I would totally take advantage of such a cheap deal; I can't imagine who wouldn't. Cheaper, more secure, and (I imagine) cleaner.
It's a roll of the dice. Some rooms are immaculate with retarded fast wifi while others are shitholes -- often in the same building.

I stayed at a navy base on the Gulf of Mexico a few times and in New Orleans, both about $30 a night. It's tough to beat.

The navy guards say "welcome aboard" at the gate, it's awesome.
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:06 am

Cut pvc to the right lengths for the double peddle car we are making. if it gets done for Burningman that would rock, if not, we have it for the grandkids. either way, it's a win.

now the trick is to NOT get divorced while "helping" kenman put it all together. :roll:
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:23 am

The super prepared might want to check the bedbug registry when they make hotel reservations.
Not that it's perfect or anything...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:40 am

theCryptofishist wrote:The super prepared might want to check the bedbug registry when they make hotel reservations.
Ha, that's the best reason ever for buying a damn tent. :P
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:17 pm

Got my old boots repaired. Good as new.

Then I blew through $400 of my budget hopefully fixing up my very sick kitty cat. Fingers crossed. Healthy kitty much better than EL wire or a new bike or a better cot, me thinks.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:29 pm

Aw, poor Leonard Bernstein! I hope he feels better really soon.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:32 pm

Poor kitty kitty!

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:36 pm

AntiM wrote:Spent too much on solar and battery operated lights at Big Lots today. I still want all the solar figures, peacocks and frogs and tikis and butterflies!

Got solar post caps, which are supposed to go on as fence post caps, but will look good on the top of the HFWA. More batter operated LED crystal butterflies, and solar string lights shaped like suns and lanterns.

A new one gallon sprayer fo rmy personal bidet. The old one was getting leaky.
The sprayer, I hope :P

:lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:50 pm

Thanks, Sav and AntiM. I am hoping he will be feeling better!!!

If he could type, he would say thank you, instead, a belly shot of my BIG boy!

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:56 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:The super prepared might want to check the bedbug registry when they make hotel reservations.
Ha, that's the best reason ever for buying a damn tent. :P
Ah, yes. Excellent point. It makes me itchy just thinking about it.

Jiā yóu!

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:56 pm

AntiM wrote:A new one gallon sprayer for my personal bidet. The old one was getting leaky.

You may have an infection. There are antibiotics that can take care of that.
Good luck with it! :D

edit: oh shit, I see that sailman beat me to the punch.

lucky.bastard

Post by lucky.bastard » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:05 am

going backwards..., set up the inexpensive ( also see cheap ) tent i bought on ebay.... i am too old to spend a week in what felt like a zip lock coffin that would collapse if i sneezed.....

i did buy a couple of battery powered led strings < blue >
"In cultivating my own personal sojourn of enlightenment, I've had to forego employment opportunities "

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:30 am

lucky.bastard wrote:going backwards..., set up the inexpensive ( also see cheap ) tent i bought on ebay.... i am too old to spend a week in what felt like a zip lock coffin that would collapse if i sneezed.....

i did buy a couple of battery powered led strings <blue>
KODIAK and a cot.

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:47 am

VeganChoirGirl wrote:
lucky.bastard wrote:going backwards..., set up the inexpensive ( also see cheap ) tent i bought on ebay.... i am too old to spend a week in what felt like a zip lock coffin that would collapse if i sneezed.....

KODIAK and a cot.
Canvas if you can afford it and carry it. I love my air mattresses. And the bad-ass fold-out cushion thing the wonderful Elliot loaned me last year.

http://playabound.wordpress.com/category/tents/

When I set up a tent in my backyard I leave it a few days. If there's no rain, I use the hose.../insert lotion in the basket joke

I can't say what I've accomplished, it's TOP SECRET outfit stuff! 8)

Sunday I'll be at a BM Show and Tell, I'm taking some seriously playafied boots and my hoodie covered in patches and pins. I can't find any of my pee funnels...so I might order more because they don't make the Pstyle anymore.

And now I am way off-topic.

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:58 am

C.f.M. wrote:
VeganChoirGirl wrote:

KODIAK and a cot.
Canvas if you can afford it and carry it. I love my air mattresses. And the bad-ass fold-out cushion thing the wonderful Elliot loaned me last year.

When I set up a tent in my backyard I leave it a few days. If there's no rain, I use the hose.../insert lotion in the basket joke

Sunday I'll be at a BM Show and Tell, I'm taking some seriously playafied boots and my hoodie covered in patches and pins. I can't find any of my pee funnels...so I might order more because they don't make the Pstyle anymore.

you can still get them from myworldhut.com

http://www.myworldhut.com/products/pSty ... s-Cup.html

It IS the best pee funnel every. I made Stitch buy one last year...I think she was glad I DID!

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:07 am

On sale, too - mine was a gift from the actual company, cuz I blogged about them and they offered to send me one! It was so cool...I felt vurry fancy. 8)

No other funnel has their own punk song!

http://playabound.wordpress.com/2010/05 ... -found-it/

geospyder

Post by geospyder » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:29 am

Just took down one of my Burningman boxes to do the six month checkup :D I have plenty single ply TP and Fresh Bath/Baby Wipes but no beer or ice :lol:
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:51 am

geospyder wrote:Just took down one of my Burningman boxes to do the six month checkup :D I have plenty single ply TP and Fresh Bath/Baby Wipes but no beer or ice :lol:
Ice doesn't keep well in storage boxes, generally. Maybe the ice just went bad and decomposed.

jella
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:26 pm

But first it drank all your beer :evil:
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:27 pm

:lol:

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:20 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:
VeganChoirGirl wrote: KODIAK and a cot.

you can still get them from myworldhut.com

http://www.myworldhut.com/products/pSty ... s-Cup.html

It IS the best pee funnel every. I made Stitch buy one last year...I think she was glad I DID!
I bought mine on Amazon...they only have pink but I stopped hating pink years ago so didn't mind :D

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”