One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
The Hustler
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by The Hustler » Fri May 06, 2011 10:30 am

Someone gave me a sleeping bag with a twin, fitted sheet sewn to it. I think it's some sort of "travel" thing that fits in a stuff sack with a small-ish pillow.

I bought a Coleman twin PVC air mattress for it yesterday in the BX. I was going to borrow a queen size air mattress, but after my beach adventure, I realized the thing was too big for the tent, taking up most of the space.

In addition to the mattress and sleeping bag/sheet thing, I have a Coolmax travel sheet thing, it's basically a Coolmax sheet sewn into a sleeping bag shape with a little extra for under a pillow. It's meant for sketchy motel rooms or warm sleeping and it packs into a small, vented stuff sack. Oddly enough, both things (and the pillow case) are navy blue. if that's not enough, I have a fleece blanket I plan to bring.

That's my BM thing for today (or really yesterday).

I also picked up an impulse buy of 10" steel "nail" stakes. They're basically the type of nails one uses for railroad ties but with a plastic end on them that looks like it was designed to secure line or something.

I have pre-cut rebar as well, but I think I need to make some bends in the end. I haven't tried them out yet. If I don't make bends, will the rebar still work?

I used 9" aluminim three-point stakes and the candy cane-shaped stakes that came with the Kelty shade and Coleman tent in the beach sand. They held very well (after I dug down to firm sand to stake them).
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri May 06, 2011 10:34 am

Brian's posts are fun to read, doo dah, doo dah.
(Fun account of your beach expedition.)

Had to ask . . . do you like MRE's? If you do, don't listen to another word I say; I just hear horror stories about people feeling a bit . . . uncomfortable after a steady diet of them out on the playa. If you don't like them, these are my favorite food threads about (minimalist) eating, although you may have seen them:

Realistic Non-Cooler Based Menu Planning
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=35430

Playa Food for the Extremely Lazy
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=35723

Though if you're bring a camping stove you might not need those threads. Last year a new friend gave me boil-in-the-bag Indian spinach and cheese(?) over rice from Trader Joe's, and it was amazing.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri May 06, 2011 10:39 am

I have pre-cut rebar as well, but I think I need to make some bends in the end. I haven't tried them out yet. If I don't make bends, will the rebar still work?
Yes, unbended rebar will still work, if they are long enough already and you cushion the tops. I have tennis balls for this (score a small "x" on a ball with a pocket knife, shove onto rebar-top). The green-yellow ones are a little fluorescent, which also helps people avoid running into them.

I left my tennis balls on the ends of my shade structure's rebar last year, so they're ready to go. :)

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri May 06, 2011 10:49 am

Savannah wrote:
Yes, unbended rebar will still work, if they are long enough already and you cushion the tops. I have tennis balls for this (score a small "x" on a ball with a pocket knife, shove onto rebar-top). The green-yellow ones are a little fluorescent, which also helps people avoid running into them.

I left my tennis balls on the ends of my shade structure's rebar last year, so they're ready to go. :)
Those ternnis balls are tough little nuts,, To avoid cutting myself with the pocket knife. I used a hack saw to cut the X..

There is a bag on tennis balls in the bottom/back of the shed..
You know,, Where everything you want is at. I intend to bring then this year for anyone wanting rebar covers..

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:57 am

I used cut down funoodles for the top of my rebar and then tied solar garden lights to each stake

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri May 06, 2011 11:21 am

Those ternnis balls are tough little nuts,, To avoid cutting myself with the pocket knife. I used a hack saw to cut the X..
Good idea! . . . I didn't cut my own tennis balls; Motskyroonmatick was a deft hand at it. I just shoved them onto the rebar. I think both of us were wearing thick gloves.
You know,, Where everything you want is at. I intend to bring then this year for anyone wanting rebar covers..
What a sweet idea!

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Fri May 06, 2011 12:05 pm

unjonharley wrote:I intend to bring then this year for anyone wanting rebar covers..
Similar but different,
My first year I was gifted an ordinary tennis ball that had been painted very pretty, for the kick stand of my bike.
Worked very well for keeping the kick stand from sinking into the dirt.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri May 06, 2011 12:17 pm

illy dilly wrote:
unjonharley wrote:I intend to bring then this year for anyone wanting rebar covers..
Similar but different,
My first year I was gifted an ordinary tennis ball that had been painted very pretty, for the kick stand of my bike.
And the winner is illy dilly.. That is the GREATESR IDEA eve :idea: r

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 pm

unjonharley wrote:
illy dilly wrote:
Similar but different,
And the winner is illy dilly.. That is the GREATESR IDEA eve :idea: r
I think the blue ribbon goes to the nice lady with the tennis balls.
But I'll hold on to it for her tell she shows up!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Post by geospyder » Fri May 06, 2011 3:41 pm

illy dilly wrote:I think the blue ribbon...
Talking of blue ribbon - I just picked up a couple cases of PBR. Indirectly it's for Burningman since we are having a pot luck meet and greet for the Temple volunteers tomorrow.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri May 06, 2011 6:46 pm

illy dilly wrote:I thought, hate for sand was pretty common, maybe its a regional thing.
I bet it's a lot more idiosyncratic than that. Do you know that some people are more sensitive to texture than others? I guess I found sand irritating me, because it was hard to walk on. (Northern California beaches are for walking, and sand castle building, and wading, and beachcombing*--not swimming.) Now I just hate it because it's impossible to move on without special (pricey) tires.
I've always hated it in my food.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri May 06, 2011 6:49 pm

Super Evil Brian wrote:Cornstarch and baby powder are two different things. Talc comes from gound-up soapstone (or something like that). The dust from that is oddly slippery and very fine. Cornstarch is what one uses to make a vat of a non-newtonian liquid. They both absorb bag-leg-stick-causing moisture.
There is a mineral talc that is famous for being "1" on the Moh's Scale. The baby powder in my house is corn starch.
The issue may have been asbestos.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Fri May 06, 2011 8:05 pm

illy dilly wrote:I thought, hate for sand was pretty common, maybe its a regional thing.
I've lived on islands in New York for 99.9% of my life and I hate sand - at least the sand on New York beaches. I must admit that the coral sand in Hawaii is so luxurious feeling that I could wallow in it forever.

I really think it's less a regional thing than the quality of the sand in some regions.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

katy potaty

Post by katy potaty » Sat May 07, 2011 3:31 pm

Just bought a 2006 Mazda5 Sport to replace my 93 Honda Accord. It has just enough space in the back for us to sleep in it and it gets abouts the same milage as the Honda! Yikes!

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat May 07, 2011 3:57 pm

I've been looking at the mazda5 for a while as a larger vehicle for me.
um, re: rebar, unbent. I have some 2 footers that are going to their fifth year on playa, rusty, but still doing fine. I use a small drilling hammer to pound them in. This year I am going to make a hammer-aid that has been suggested on eplaya. get a 4-6 inch black iron pipe nipple, one inch dia, 3/4"dia? and jb weld a screw on cap to one end. It sounds like a wonderful tool to make hammering #4 rebar a lot easier.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Sun May 08, 2011 6:31 pm

geospyder wrote:
illy dilly wrote:I think the blue ribbon...
Talking of blue ribbon - I just picked up a couple cases of PBR. Indirectly it's for Burningman since we are having a pot luck meet and greet for the Temple volunteers tomorrow.
And the cool thing is, to avoid a flat taste, you'll have to drink up all the PBR before the event...and buy more to replace it. Nothin' wrong with that idea!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sun May 08, 2011 8:25 pm

Savannah wrote:
Good idea! . . . I didn't cut my own tennis balls; Motskyroonmatick was a deft hand at it. I just shoved them onto the rebar. I think both of us were wearing thick gloves.
What a sweet idea!
:D I like to softly scream the name of the brand of the tennis ball as I make the X cut. The best is when it is a Wilson. wwWWWWWIIIIIILLLLLLSSSSOOOONNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnn......
I make the X cut right over the makers mark so that it is always in the same place on each ball and hides the logo from prying eyes. No logo's folks! :P A thin bladed stanley utility knife works the best IMHO. 3 cuts. One long starter through the logo and then two shorter ones cutting toward the center of the first to make the X. Cutting from the meat of the ball seems to work better than trying to cut out from the just cut edge. This is one thing that should be done whilst sober.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Sun May 08, 2011 8:47 pm

I like to softly scream the name of the brand of the tennis ball as I make the X cut. The best is when it is a Wilson. wwWWWWWIIIIIILLLLLLSSSSOOOONNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnn......
:lol: :shock: :lol:

(I love it that this is then, of course, followed by useful advice.)

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon May 09, 2011 7:25 am

MyLarry has been fiddling with new side rails for the new trailer. He did a lot of home honey dos this weekend, as he's headed to Atlanta for truck recovery and I have no idea when he'll be home again.

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Mon May 09, 2011 8:32 am

Savannah wrote:Brian's posts are fun to read, doo dah, doo dah.
(Fun account of your beach expedition.)

Had to ask . . . do you like MRE's? If you do, don't listen to another word I say; I just hear horror stories about people feeling a bit . . . uncomfortable after a steady diet of them out on the playa. If you don't like them, these are my favorite food threads about (minimalist) eating, although you may have seen them:

Realistic Non-Cooler Based Menu Planning
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=35430

Playa Food for the Extremely Lazy
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=35723

Though if you're bring a camping stove you might not need those threads. Last year a new friend gave me boil-in-the-bag Indian spinach and cheese(?) over rice from Trader Joe's, and it was amazing.
I don't mind MRE's, as long as I can avoid the veggie omelette. It's so horrible it's funny, but the jambalaya is slammin'. I'm not sure how true the log jam effect from MREs is. They do come with a small thing of TP but maybe that's a joke. I plan to bring Sriracha (rooster) sauce and Old Bay to add some zip if need be.

I planned to bring crunchy and salty snacks (minus the excessive packaging of course), maybe a couple MREs and Powerbars. The packaging from MREs is recyclable and I can squeeze it all down into the outter plastic pouch and compress it.

Media Mecca said they feed their volunteers after shifts, and I thnk I' working 4 4-hour shifts. Should I count on that in my planning? It would be nice to bring that much less.

I know when it's hot the last thing I want to do is eat or make big meals. If I eat more, smaller meals I'll be OK. Also, I imagine when I get back to my camp, I'll probably fall asleep within moments of laying down.

I don't have a camp stove and I'm hoping to avoid bringing one, to save money on gear and space in the car. If my plans change and I camp with other people or person and we want to cook and share my shade or something, then I'm all for it.

Savannah, thanks :) You're a swank broad. I'll look at the minimalist eating threads after I post this, which is sort of backwards I think.
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Mon May 09, 2011 10:18 am

I'm a swank broad. *preens*

:lol:

Email your Media Mecca volunteer coordinator to whether there might be lunch (and ask if they have a water cooler; it's easy to go through a canteen quickly.) If you don't want to ask, pack a good snack for each shift and just see what happens.

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Mon May 09, 2011 10:23 am

Got the garden into the ground this weekend, planted extra green beans, so I'll have loads of jars of picked dill beans for gifting and bloody marys.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Mon May 09, 2011 10:29 am

Savannah wrote:I'm a swank broad. *preens*

:lol:

Email your Media Mecca volunteer coordinator to whether there might be lunch (and ask if they have a water cooler; it's easy to go through a canteen quickly.) If you don't want to ask, pack a good snack for each shift and just see what happens.
I'm retarded and forgot to save her (it was a "her," right?) contact information. I don't have the foggiest idea of the email address or even a name.

And about corn starch and baby powder: I gleefully admit to being wrong and am happy to have learned something. I had no idea baby powder was anything other than talc.

Is it a waste of time to paint/coat the rebar to prevent rust? I mean something like Rustoleum or spray-on galvanizing. I imagine hammering and grinding the business end into the playa will last as long as a Yugo on a dragstrip.

At the very least, wouldn't it be cool if they were deep red or silvery galvanized color instead of rusty iron color?

How do people who don't read every word of the website and ePlaya and whatever else they can find prepare? I can't imagine showing up at the gate not having at least an idea of what to expect -- at least the mechanical "prepare for the weather, it's a camping trip" aspect.

Probably the same idiots who are caught in rain without a jacket or umbrella or ride their bikes with no means to fix a punture. That irritates me.

Jiā yóu!

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Mon May 09, 2011 10:42 am

Main Burning Man web page - > Volunteer! @ bottom left -> Media Mecca link at the right -> Media Mecca page, with

mediavolunteers(at)burningman(dot)com

at the bottom.

:mrgreen:

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Mon May 09, 2011 11:00 am

Savannah wrote:Main Burning Man web page - > Volunteer! @ bottom left -> Media Mecca link at the right -> Media Mecca page, with

mediavolunteers(at)burningman(dot)com

at the bottom.

:mrgreen:
Eh, yea. I was thinking of her real email but I imagine this works just fine.

I hope you do all this posting on ePlaya on an employer's time and not your own.

Jiā yóu!

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon May 09, 2011 12:07 pm

Woohoo! My Lego man LED lantern just came in! Imagine a giant legoman whose body lights up. From Thinkgeek.com. Waaay cool, fun, and on sale.

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Mon May 09, 2011 12:28 pm

Scored a 52qt fully insulated cooler good as new (well maybe it needs a wiping down) for $3.99 at the thrift store (yeah for 1/2 price yellow tickets). Sadly none of the 1/2 dozen psychedlic/paisley/shiny vests fit, my story is they must've been kids sizes and I'm sticking with it.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue May 10, 2011 8:11 am

I got a crutch today!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Tue May 10, 2011 8:17 am

Sic Pup wrote:Scored a 52qt fully insulated cooler good as new (well maybe it needs a wiping down) for $3.99 at the thrift store (yeah for 1/2 price yellow tickets).
I'm asking $20 for one in the garage sale this weekend..

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Tue May 10, 2011 8:30 am

unjonharley wrote:
Sic Pup wrote:Scored a 52qt fully insulated cooler good as new (well maybe it needs a wiping down) for $3.99 at the thrift store (yeah for 1/2 price yellow tickets).
I'm asking $20 for one in the garage sale this weekend..
Still a bargain, I'd buy it if I seen it first, the one I grabbed listed at $56 and it's an older model.

I'm flummoxed as to how the thrift stores price stuff, most of the time its the other way though, I pass on so much stuff because I dont see the value (particularly when you can't return it).

My other great score was a food sealer, with 3 rolls of bags/film, in the original box for the princely sum of $7.50. Actually it was $15, but I waited until blue tickets were 50% off.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”