One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon May 23, 2011 9:02 am

Nice work, Bexx! You sound wonderfully resourceful.

TinkerMom
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity @ 404 Not Found

Post by TinkerMom » Mon May 23, 2011 5:48 pm

I got another bike today, since mine was stolen. And I get another one on Sat. Weeeee!
....the password is pineapple.........

Just throw it on the fire! It will kill it or cure it!!

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Mon May 23, 2011 7:29 pm

I don't think I will bring a bike this year. Last year I injured my knee (which still acts up here and there) and my bike killed my knee. I am thinking on foot maybe the way to go. Note - comfortable shoes.
We break to remind us how to mend.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon May 23, 2011 8:25 pm

FaeTora wrote:I don't think I will bring a bike this year. Last year I injured my knee (which still acts up here and there) and my bike killed my knee. I am thinking on foot maybe the way to go. Note - comfortable shoes.
That's a lot of walking. Maybe you don't have your bike sized correctly. That can really hurt your knees.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Mon May 23, 2011 8:31 pm

We spent some time working on the double bike speedster thing. Well, kendoll worked, I most looked for wrenches and held things.
Got the serger back from the shop and set it up. Now i can finish some hems and make those other two skirts. Woot!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Mon May 23, 2011 8:33 pm

its just the pressure on my knee. Stairs do the same thing even when I am not carrying anything. Though it doesn't swell when I do it anymore. They say it was a very bad knee sprain and maybe I just need to do more weight training with it.

Plus I am flying out. And the idea of shipping to someone to take in for me then shipping it back, hmmmm. I don't know. I walked most of it last time and it was great. Granted I also got caught in a few white outs and biking was not an option so I just walked with it.

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Mon May 23, 2011 8:36 pm

tamarakay wrote:We spent some time working on the double bike speedster thing. Well, kendoll worked, I most looked for wrenches and held things.
Got the serger back from the shop and set it up. Now i can finish some hems and make those other two skirts. Woot!
go you!

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon May 23, 2011 8:41 pm

FaeTora wrote:its just the pressure on my knee. Stairs do the same thing even when I am not carrying anything. Though it doesn't swell when I do it anymore. They say it was a very bad knee sprain and maybe I just need to do more weight training with it.

Plus I am flying out. And the idea of shipping to someone to take in for me then shipping it back, hmmmm. I don't know. I walked most of it last time and it was great. Granted I also got caught in a few white outs and biking was not an option so I just walked with it.
Bikes at first did not have peddles.. The riders strateled the bike and propeled it with there feet. Knew a guy in the 70s with fuzed knees. He use a bike that way..

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Mon May 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Oh yes. But I will be ok.

I am also forgoing trying to make my own coffee this year. I did it last year. I'd rather give money to the building of the Temple and sit in center camp with a cup of coffee to start my day. That was such an amazing morning and I met such amazing people, of course there were wonderful people all over the playa!

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Tue May 24, 2011 10:54 am

FaeTora wrote: I walked most of it last time and it was great. Granted I also got caught in a few white outs and biking was not an option so I just walked with it.
I have found that I prefer to walk BRC rather than Bike. Biked it my first year, and all too often I'd ride by something then say "O I'll come back and check that out" and rarely did.

I tend to meet more folks and have more fun on foot.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Wed May 25, 2011 7:06 am

illy dilly wrote:
FaeTora wrote: I walked most of it last time and it was great. Granted I also got caught in a few white outs and biking was not an option so I just walked with it.
I have found that I prefer to walk BRC rather than Bike. Biked it my first year, and all too often I'd ride by something then say "O I'll come back and check that out" and rarely did.

I love having a bike. Get places quicker. Esp. at night. I'll ride down to E, lock it up and walk around. Or it's nice when you want to explore way out, to bike quickly past everything you've already seen.

Bin Noddin

Post by Bin Noddin » Wed May 25, 2011 7:13 am

illy dilly wrote:

I enjoyed being afoot, I think I could see a lot more that way. But the distances are enormous - never made it to the 10 o'clock side of town.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Wed May 25, 2011 9:12 am

C.f.M. wrote:Or it's nice when you want to explore way out, to bike quickly past everything you've already seen.
That makes since! Sorta like walk your local blocks the first few days. Ride out the second half of the week.
Though, I find I don't try to get anywhere quickly. Only my Ice shift, and I do that at Ice Cubed, so its only a couple blocks away.
Bin Noddin wrote: But the distances are enormous - never made it to the 10 o'clock side of town.
For that issue, keep an eye out for an art car that looks like it has room for you. Ask if you can grab a ride. This tends to be pretty easy as cars enter into the inner playa, from the street. They almost always have to stop as they cross the esplanade. But do not rely on them or expect them to give you a ride. AND DO NOT HAND THEM A NICE REFRESHING COLD BEER as a thank you for the ride.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed May 25, 2011 1:24 pm

A couple of years ago I started biking out to the farthest street that had people camping and just go from one end to the other. Met a ton of interesting people. Next morning I took the next road in, etc. Up until that time, I never bothered to go out past E or F.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Wed May 25, 2011 2:07 pm

jkisha wrote:A couple of years ago I started biking out to the farthest street that had people camping and just go from one end to the other. Met a ton of interesting people. Next morning I took the next road in, etc. Up until that time, I never bothered to go out past E or F.
I'm hoping to do that this year - I mean, going a few yards to the bathroom can turn into a two-hour adventure! Biking definitely has its advantages.

Yesterday I started a "burning man" music folder for all my songs for Raiders Night at the Booby Bar. You guys are coming, right? ALL SKYNARD ALL THE TIME.

Just kidding. Mostly.

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Wed May 25, 2011 3:16 pm

C.f.M. wrote: Yesterday I started a "burning man" music folder for all my songs for Raiders Night at the Booby Bar. You guys are coming, right? ALL SKYNARD ALL THE TIME.

Just kidding. Mostly.
Can I play air guitar to "Swamp Music" and belt "Simple Man" when I get really drunk? :P
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Wed May 25, 2011 4:19 pm

Can I play air guitar to "Swamp Music" and belt "Simple Man" when I get really drunk? :P
I vote yes!

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Wed May 25, 2011 4:53 pm

Minxy wrote:
I vote yes!
I second that vote.

This one item was a gift from Google :D
A couple months or so ago I filled out an application to be a tester for the new google webbooks, and I evidently was accepted, as I received this little laptop UPS yesterday. Along with it I get a two years of verizon 3g (not unlimited) service for free. So far so good, touchpad drags in a couple spots, but other than that so far so good.
I love Google.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed May 25, 2011 7:00 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
C.f.M. wrote: Yesterday I started a "burning man" music folder for all my songs for Raiders Night at the Booby Bar. You guys are coming, right? ALL SKYNARD ALL THE TIME.

Just kidding. Mostly.
How many times are you planning to play "What's Your Name, Little Girl"?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Wed May 25, 2011 7:35 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:

Just kidding. Mostly.
She will keep on playin' till you smell that smell.

okay okay nobody's perfect...
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed May 25, 2011 7:47 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote: Can I play air guitar to "Swamp Music" and belt "Simple Man" when I get really drunk? :P
She will keep on playin' till you smell that smell.

okay okay nobody's perfect...
fuck perfection. promptness counts, too!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Thu May 26, 2011 8:18 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:

Just kidding. Mostly.
Not once! Not playing Swamp Music, either. But Simple Man = yes. And I hope you stand UP on a chair or the bar and wail away.

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Thu May 26, 2011 9:13 am

We bought another tent, camp chair, propane and RV toilet paper yesterday! :D

Woo.... lol. Still, necessities!

geospyder

Post by geospyder » Thu May 26, 2011 5:48 pm

Picked up some little glass bottles that can be used as pendants. They will be filled with parts from last year's man and strung with some sort of cord so they can be worn as a necklace. They will be handed out as gifts.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Fri May 27, 2011 4:24 am

I fashioned a new playa belt :)

GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Fri May 27, 2011 5:50 am

Scored a new 150 quart Marine extreme 5 day cooler for 63.00
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Fri May 27, 2011 7:08 am

Clar-i-ty wrote:I fashioned a new playa belt :)

Nice. I can't decide if I want to make ANOTHER one or use the one from last year. It was pretty perfect (as things you make exactly to your needs tend to be!).

It was funny, at the regional right after BM, several women had on similiar belts to the one I got a couple of years ago. I mean, I know I didn't start anything as they are awesome enough on their own without my help it was still just funny. They're all over Etsy now, too.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri May 27, 2011 7:11 am

Clar-i-ty wrote:I fashioned a new playa belt :)

I can see that making a great single piece costume, good job!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Fri May 27, 2011 7:20 am

C.f.M. wrote:
Nice. I can't decide if I want to make ANOTHER one or use the one from last year. It was pretty perfect (as things you make exactly to your needs tend to be!).

It was funny, at the regional right after BM, several women had on similiar belts to the one I got a couple of years ago. I mean, I know I didn't start anything as they are awesome enough on their own without my help it was still just funny. They're all over Etsy now, too.
This was serendipity at the thrift store. Found the pistol belt and the pouch was a purse that I modified. The smaller pouch was one I had. Just need to add my flashlight and multi-tool and I'm pretty much golden. I also have a canteen I can add to it, but I think I'm gonna look for something my flask can fit in instead.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Sat May 28, 2011 3:59 am

Quite a bit more than one thing (over two days):

Cut Monkey Hut ribs in half for better efficiency in packing.

Set up MH and tent in backyard (dog attempted to lift a leg and was summarily scolded/shooed away)

Washed out residual playa from tent/tarps with lemon water.

Tested solar lights.

Purchased supplemental set of solar lights.

Purchased additional bungee balls.

Fashioned a curtain for front of MH with old CDs (since digitalized) and zip ties - very shiny! Phil Specter has nothing on me (murder conviction/afro aside, but who's perfect?).

I went thrifting, I'm watching a 9 man tent waiting for grey tickets to come up 50% off. I don't need another tent but can't let it go for $35, not worth the $70 to me (will require some mesh remediation).

Purchased a camping cot, air matress makes for less than a restful sleep for me.

Too antsy to wait to hear back from Artery any longer (times-a-ticking) so I bit the bullet and purchased most of what I need for art project. The downside is if Artery nixes the concept I'm left with several hundred dollars worth of useless material. Not entirely true, it will still be awesome placed in my camp but not being on deep playa will greatly reduce it's interactivityability

Started packing/shopping list.

Today I make the garage sale rounds, on the prowl for camping stove, knapsack, strong duffle bag, and 4 wide sturdy wheels (for art project).
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”