One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:09 am

graidawg wrote:*sighs* coat envy, packing envy, gadget and just general getting ready envy.
If you're really really nice to me I'll give you one of my wayward art boxes any you can pretend I packed it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:10 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
graidawg wrote:*sighs* coat envy, packing envy, gadget and just general getting ready envy.
If you're really really nice to me I'll give you one of my wayward art boxes any you can pretend I packed it.
Damn, I should have said that "packing envy" was featured in just about every transgender narrative I've ever read.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Foxfur
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/MASH@404: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:27 am

AngelDanger wrote:I am super excited! Today I want to start work on my perfect playa coat that I have always wanted.

Do it Angel, do it! Without the encouragement & inspration from eplaya I would probably have only been rockin a trenchcoat and chuck taylors :shock: Thanks eplaya!
BTW your avatar pic is so cute, ya lil Hottie! You will ROCK anything you choose to create.
(insert catwomanesque snarly-meow here...)
Not trying to be too forward, just stating fact.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

AngelDanger

Post by AngelDanger » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:34 am

Foxfur wrote:
AngelDanger wrote:I am super excited! Today I want to start work on my perfect playa coat that I have always wanted.

Do it Angel, do it! Without the encouragement & inspration from eplaya I would probably have only been rockin a trenchcoat and chuck taylors :shock: Thanks eplaya!
BTW your avatar pic is so cute, ya lil Hottie! You will ROCK anything you choose to create.
I am so offended! Now I am not going to Burning Man. Look what you did. :lol: Thank you very much Mr. FoxFur, I don't always take compliments from people I don't know well, but I love all ya'alls already so much, and I read everything you guys post, and I respect all of you so much, so that compliment made my day :D

graidawg
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:17 am

Foxfur wrote:

oh a trenchcoat would be cool. dont know what chuck taylors are but if chuck (norris) put's his name to them they must be cool
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:22 am

lol gd, chuck taylors=converse classic sneaker. I have many and in many different colors cuz that's how I roll ninja.

I am feeling weird today :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

graidawg

Post by graidawg » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:33 am

lucky420 wrote:lol gd, chuck taylors=converse classic sneaker. I have many and in many different colors cuz that's how I roll ninja.

I am feeling weird today :lol:
oo oo are they cheap? i need shoes coz like ive not got any apart from my work steelies and a pair almost slippers and i keep putting off buying any 'coz i dont like this seasons footwear at all! also i am a total skinflint
FREE THE SHERPAS
CATCH AND RELEASE.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:54 am

oo oo are they cheap? i need shoes coz like ive not got any apart from my work steelies and a pair almost slippers and i keep putting off buying any 'coz i dont like this seasons footwear at all! also i am a total skinflint
Converse All-Stars are awesome classic retro sneakers. I'm inordinately fond of them. They start at about $46 USD. My favorite pair is celery green with cargo pockets on the ankles. (I also have a pair of knee-high converse but they're new & black, so I'm not taking them to the desert). I always bring an old pair to the playa, but they're not dust-proof--the eyelets & little vents on the instep allow dust in--so you need socks. And they're very flat inside . . . not everyone's cup of tea.

http://www.zappos.com/converse

Target has a cheaper version of Converse All-Stars called Converse One-Star (about $35 USD, sometimes less). They started at $20 but then when everyone realized they existed, the price went up to ~$35, more so for the men's than the women's (still $30). One might as well buy the All-Stars.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Savannah wrote:
Converse All-Stars are awesome classic retro sneakers. I'm inordinately fond of them. They start at about $46 USD. My favorite pair is celery green with cargo pockets on the ankles. (I also have a pair of knee-high converse but they're new & black, so I'm not taking them to the desert). I always bring an old pair to the playa, but they're not dust-proof--the eyelets & little vents on the instep allow dust in--so you need socks. And they're very flat inside . . . not everyone's cup of tea.

Target has a cheaper version of Converse All-Stars called Converse One-Star (about $35 USD, sometimes less). They started at $20 but then when everyone realized they existed, the price went up to ~$35, more so for the men's than the women's (still $30). One might as well buy the All-Stars.
GAK! I'm having a bit of sticker shock as the last pair of Cons I bought was $12 - and I thought that was a lot of money at the time. Of course back then you could get any color you wanted - as long as you wanted either white or black.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:38 pm

My new short playa coat came. Another burner snuck into the storage room with me to take pics...his pic was not so good. But at least you can see the awesome cat ears. It's a short coat because I always get WAY too hot.

Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:47 pm

Oh my god, VCG. Classic. :D

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:51 pm

That jacket is freaking sweet!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:33 pm

VCG=sweet coat. I bought my daughter a hat made out of that same material at one of the recent REno festivals here. She met a little girl who really liked it and ended up giving it to her...oh well I guess I've taught her well :? :)
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:11 pm

Really nice jacket - I love that style fur.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:15 pm

WOOO HOOOO!!!! Our El Wire showed up today!!!!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Foxfur

Post by Foxfur » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:39 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:My new short playa coat came. Another burner snuck into the storage room with me to take pics...his pic was not so good. But at least you can see the awesome cat ears. It's a short coat because I always get WAY too hot.

There's where you're WRONG. I think it is a GREAT pic, yes I do.
She's right about the last part. She does get way too hot. Stop, Drop, and Roll, kids!
You look Gorgeous, VCG! I am sooo envious...
Perhaps we can trade off?
*Smooch*
Yeaaah, Baybee!
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

Foxfur

Post by Foxfur » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:12 pm

Stop! Fashion police!
You are way too underdressed. Stop by Foxfur's Fashion Fair for accessorizing!
Found a traffic flagger stop sign in my neighbors truck garden.

Do not mess with a badass. You will be destroyed.
Get em Kitty!
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

jella
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:47 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:My new short playa coat came. Another burner snuck into the storage room with me to take pics...his pic was not so good. But at least you can see the awesome cat ears. It's a short coat because I always get WAY too hot.

Absolutley fabulous !!
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:18 pm

Beautiful coat! That fur looks luscious.

Ff you're a goofball. :D
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:41 am

I'm jealous of all your wacky outfits and costumery.... I don't even have a pair of shorts yet. Next amazon order will include some goodies.

One question though... isn't it going to be freaking hot to wear big fluffy coats? I know it gets cool at night, but I just see proportionally more big warm looking outfits than something suited to 100 degree weather.

Anyway... my thing for today was I started hacking up billboard tarps to make my dome canopy. This (I think) is going to be easier than I feared. Hopefully I wind up with something that one determined person can wrangle into a manageable ball-like shape for packing and transportation. I'm guessing it's going to weigh a metric fuck-ton given the heft of the individual tarps I'm cutting up.

Beware teh snarkasm

Dr Jet Sinister
Burning Since: 1986

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:22 am

Foxfur wrote:Image
Get em Kitty!
What's going on with the collar of that coat? I think it's very interesting.
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

graidawg

Post by graidawg » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:03 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
Damn, I should have said that "packing envy" was featured in just about every transgender narrative I've ever read.
we can pretend you did fishy and of course i will be really realy nice to you its what i do best being really really nice.
Dr Jet Sinister wrote:
Foxfur wrote:Image
Get em Kitty!
What's going on with the collar of that coat? I think it's very interesting.

ahg! hello kitty ak47 oh yay! and yay again with a cool evil empororer coat woot woot! Ff youare just to damn cool.
Savannah wrote:

$46 thats errr (click click whirrrrrrrrrrr smoke) about £30. you clearly dont understand skinflint. £5 is cheap £10 they had better be a killer pair of shoes. more than that they better come with a free blowjob. i shall bite the bullet and buy see lee brand fake converse for £11 and see if the assistant prepared to show me the store cupboard
FREE THE SHERPAS
CATCH AND RELEASE.

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:51 am

@melodiousdirge It gets plenty cold to wear those coats at night. You certainly could be too warm if you're dancing like crazy or biking for a long time, but they are AWFULLY nice to have when standing around (or working Greeters...brrr)!
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:43 am

I am anti-"playa coat." They're bulky and heavy and yes, can be too warm. I mainly just don't like them because one coat will take up more room than everything else I need for the week. And I don't like trying to keep up with them, if I want to dance or sit down or whatever. Ride a bike. I like mobility - and the ability to hide in the shadows and not be noticed. But that's another thread...

IRL, most of the people I know who do the "playa coat" are like dudes on Harleys, with more money than sense, or they are sparkle ponies/drug doers, so they like them because it's warm over their bikinis and underwear. They can throw off the coat to prance around in their lame hot pants and then toss the coat back on when the drugs start wearing off.

They are really good for covert canoodling and sharing.

Rarely is anything "too warm" late at night, though.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:57 am

C.f.M. wrote:I am anti-"playa coat." They're bulky and heavy and yes, can be too warm. I mainly just don't like them because one coat will take up more room than everything else I need for the week. And I don't like trying to keep up with them, if I want to dance or sit down or whatever. Ride a bike. I like mobility - and the ability to hide in the shadows and not be noticed. But that's another thread...

IRL, most of the people I know who do the "playa coat" are like dudes on Harleys, with more money than sense, or they are sparkle ponies/drug doers, so they like them because it's warm over their bikinis and underwear. They can throw off the coat to prance around in their lame hot pants and then toss the coat back on when the drugs start wearing off.

They are really good for covert canoodling and sharing.

Rarely is anything "too warm" late at night, though.
We have a couple big faux fur coats, but have yet to wear them on the playa except the first year we had them. They get caught in the gears, and can't be near any sort of flame or high heat. On Burn Night, we're fuels, which will ruin faux fur even without the flame found this out with the tails on my wolf hat. We're pretty boring, wearing dark, safe clothes. Still, we wear the big coats at the Utah Solstice Burns, when it is 20 degrees and there's snow on the ground. Even then Larry finds his too warm. But he's a feak.

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:18 am

AntiM wrote:We have a couple big faux fur coats, but have yet to wear them on the playa except the first year we had them. They get caught in the gears, and can't be near any sort of flame or high heat. On Burn Night, we're fuels, which will ruin faux fur even without the flame found this out with the tails on my wolf hat. We're pretty boring, wearing dark, safe clothes. Still, we wear the big coats at the Utah Solstice Burns, when it is 20 degrees and there's snow on the ground. Even then Larry finds his too warm. But he's a feak.
Hey, that's not boring!! If it is, then I am crazy boring.

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:00 am

I had a playa coat gifted to me my first year. It was...not my style. At all. I gifted it to a friend who loves it...it's totally her style. It was also really heavy and impossible to wear, it always felt tooooo hot. It ended up being an extra pillow most of the week.

As a weak So Cal girl, I do get REALLY cold on playa...even when it's not that late. I have tried many solutions, but I can't seem to find one that works. So this year my solution is a very short coat. The coat in the pic end just below my boobs. I want to be able to wear my corsets etc. w/o something over it that won't cover my whole outfit or make (even this weak so cal girl) hot. And doesn't look TOO obnoxious. I almost went all black, but changed my mind last minute.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

Jax Dee
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by Jax Dee » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:43 am

Went to the harware store and picked up 12" galvanized steel nails and some washers cause I like using them better than rebar for stakes. I needed more for my shade structure. And also cause I'm leaving tomorrow for Transformus. I decided this at 2am this morning. I am nothing if not a great last minute planner! Woohoo, see you guys next week when I get back!
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:56 am

Going back to the Chuck Taylor convo for a second..After a day or two the laces start making a squeaky sound. I have a pair of chucks that are just for the desert, wear them most of the week, bring them home toss them in the washer with a splash of vinegar, and they're like brand new. This will be their 4th year.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

J/J
Camp Name: Black Rock City Snowshoe Team

Post by J/J » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:11 am

Foxfur and VeganChoirGirl sweet, sweet coats

received team ts yesterday and took sissors to mine today, one size x large

playa, embrace the dust - eplaya, embrace the snark

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”