One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Locked
User avatar
Fufa
Posts: 520
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:12 pm
Burning Since: 2010
Location: New York, USA

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by Fufa » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:26 pm

EL wire, drivers, and an LED glow pendant I ordered from cool neon like... 2 weekends ago arrived in the mail today! SO FAST :shock:

considering my other package of BM stuff that shipped a month ago has spent the last week waiting to clear customs...

User avatar
Foxfur
Posts: 2360
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 6:43 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/MASH@404: Village Not Found
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by Foxfur » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:34 pm

Man! I went to the mall for the first time in 15 years. Appalling! A store just for pretzels? Seriously? Anyhow, my sole reason was for the Sanrio store to score stickers for the Hello Kitty AK-47. Got em! Then I ended up going nuts on all the cute lil tchotchkes and geegaws. HK fizzy candy, gum, chocolate filled marshamllows, erasers, etc. . All the stuff I could never find/have when I was a kid. HK schwag-a-plenty for gifties. Got Sweetpea HK necklace, earrings, and ring all with Peridot, her birthstone (B-Day coming up). Ended up shelling out >$80 there!

Went to Spencer's and scored a kick ass Domo mini-backpack and some blue raspberry lube :shock: . Sweetpea suggested it for my drop-leg tactical triple magazine carrier. It normally carries three spare 9mm / .40 caliber magazines but I never use it. I decided to use it to carry Tabasco sauce bottles, perfect! She thought a bottle of lube and tube of Preparation H would be hilarious additions. Man, she's really caught the spirit of Burning Man, hot damn!

Oh yeah. I finally got my TICKET!
I was starting to worry about that one.

Got some other crap but can't remember.
Umm... Yay!
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Image

User avatar
melodiousdirge
Posts: 687
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:29 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Location: Central Coast, CA

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by melodiousdirge » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:32 am

Foxfur wrote:Oh yeah. I finally got my TICKET!
W00T
Beware teh snarkasm

User avatar
Dr Jet Sinister
Posts: 608
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:43 pm
Burning Since: 1986
Location: ..

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:17 am

Foxfur wrote:Man! I went to the mall for the first time in 15 years. Appalling! A store just for pretzels? Seriously? Anyhow, my sole reason was for the Sanrio store to score stickers for the Hello Kitty AK-47. Got em! Then I ended up going nuts on all the cute lil tchotchkes and geegaws. HK fizzy candy, gum, chocolate filled marshamllows, erasers, etc. . All the stuff I could never find/have when I was a kid. HK schwag-a-plenty for gifties. Got Sweetpea HK necklace, earrings, and ring all with Peridot, her birthstone (B-Day coming up). Ended up shelling out >$80 there!

Went to Spencer's and scored a kick ass Domo mini-backpack and some blue raspberry lube :shock: . Sweetpea suggested it for my drop-leg tactical triple magazine carrier. It normally carries three spare 9mm / .40 caliber magazines but I never use it. I decided to use it to carry Tabasco sauce bottles, perfect! She thought a bottle of lube and tube of Preparation H would be hilarious additions. Man, she's really caught the spirit of Burning Man, hot damn!

Oh yeah. I finally got my TICKET!
I was starting to worry about that one.

Got some other crap but can't remember.
Umm... Yay!
YAY for the ticket! YAY for HK stuff!

My birthstone is an ugly peridot too.
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

User avatar
Drawingablank
Posts: 2595
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp
Location: NY
Contact:

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by Drawingablank » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:15 am

Lots of stuff has arrived including pieces for our shade structure, bandannas, tees, silk screen inks, and glow in the dark powder.

Now to get busy making stuff.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

User avatar
C.f.M.
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by C.f.M. » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:02 am

I'm debating a compression bag and fancy towel and wondering why the embedding in my signature isn't working anymore.

But if you go to the link, I found a new camping site with some deals, and maybe you know about compression and ultralite towels and can weigh in on my decision.

User avatar
Elorrum
Posts: 5412
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket
Location: Reno

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by Elorrum » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:13 am

C.f.M. wrote:I'm debating a compression bag and fancy towel and wondering why the embedding in my signature isn't working anymore.

But if you go to the link, I found a new camping site with some deals, and maybe you know about compression and ultralite towels and can weigh in on my decision.
compression bags are great for stuff that is a lot of air. fleece, sleeping bags. Not so certain about a towel.. but it would make it a bit smaller. camp towels the super absorbent kind are great, not blankety, but very absorbent, and to be honest, compare an old MSR packtowel to a shamwow... same stuff. I use one that is for drying off cars. a little stiff, but it works fine. works best after you get it wet, and wring it out I used it first when I forgot a towel, and it was in the car, then figured, oh hell, this is fine. They've improved the new ones I think by making them a little softer, and more expensive.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

User avatar
C.f.M.
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by C.f.M. » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:44 am

Elorrum wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:I'm debating a compression bag and fancy towel and wondering why the embedding in my signature isn't working anymore.

But if you go to the link, I found a new camping site with some deals, and maybe you know about compression and ultralite towels and can weigh in on my decision.
compression bags are great for stuff that is a lot of air. fleece, sleeping bags. Not so certain about a towel.. but it would make it a bit smaller. camp towels the super absorbent kind are great, not blankety, but very absorbent, and to be honest, compare an old MSR packtowel to a shamwow... same stuff. I use one that is for drying off cars. a little stiff, but it works fine. works best after you get it wet, and wring it out I used it first when I forgot a towel, and it was in the car, then figured, oh hell, this is fine. They've improved the new ones I think by making them a little softer, and more expensive.

I'm looking at the REI one, it comes in a nifty bag. The compression sack would be for large clothing like crinoline, coat, etc. Or just to save space all around...

User avatar
Foxfur
Posts: 2360
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 6:43 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/MASH@404: Village Not Found
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by Foxfur » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:03 am

C.f.M. wrote:...wondering why the embedding in my signature isn't working anymore.
I think it's something to do with links not having a www in them. It seems that they work sometimes and not others. Yours seem to always work. The ones to your blog. If anyone hasn't seen it, go see it. Now.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Image

wimala1
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by wimala1 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:32 pm

yayyy!! i finally ordered my monkey hut tarp. knew i was forgetting something :oops:

i am also trying out a new size line for my swamp cooler pump. i can't seem to get good flow all the way around. all well, if at first (or second or third) you don't succeed, try again!!!!
boyznme

User avatar
melodiousdirge
Posts: 687
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:29 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Location: Central Coast, CA

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by melodiousdirge » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:35 pm

My new bearings came for the playa trike today, so I jammed it most of the way together. Woot! This was a pretty beat up industrial trike I rescued from the scrap steel bin a few months ago and have been refurbishing. Should do the trick!!

Image

...and yes, my garage is rather crowded. :(
Beware teh snarkasm

User avatar
geospyder
Posts: 1830
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:38 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Location: South of the Playa

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by geospyder » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:48 pm

New goggles arrived today.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

User avatar
Recoil
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:04 am
Location: sacramento

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by Recoil » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:07 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
Recoil wrote:voice box for my MV mwhahaha

Image
If I hear or see you being a) not funny b) pressing ANY of the noise buttons, I will remove the megaphone from your hands.

I can vouch for those lights

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/30-led-2- ... ngth-46567

A lovely campmate gave me his last year. They were great for the bike and to wear, they are still going and I've yet to replace the batteries. Already in my pack pile for this year!
for all of you making death threats i am not using it to talk random crap to everyone i see (i hate that shit my self and we have enough of that), im driving a big rooster and the megaphone will just be used to make chicken noises at a reasonable level and to play a 10 second clip of the chicken dance song at the right moment to maybe spur a chicken dance off lol
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

User avatar
C.f.M.
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by C.f.M. » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:22 am

Recoil wrote:play a 10 second clip of the chicken dance song at the right moment to maybe spur a chicken dance off lol
This had my nod of approval - and, there's never a wrong time.

User avatar
brody
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:43 am
Burning Since: 2004
Location: East Bay, CA

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by brody » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:38 pm

Recoil wrote: im driving a big rooster and the megaphone will just be used to make chicken noises at a reasonable level and to play a 10 second clip of the chicken dance song at the right moment to maybe spur a chicken dance off lol
Please tell me that you'll go hang out by the Rite of PezzAge art installation (giant chicken-head Pez dispenser).
-------------------------------
(cold hands, warm bacon)

User avatar
brody
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:43 am
Burning Since: 2004
Location: East Bay, CA

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by brody » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:40 pm

I'm leaving for the playa in a little over a month (ack) so my "one item for BM a day" is moving into "AS MANY ITEMS AS I CAN PER DAY" mode. I'm enjoying reading through the last few pages of this thread!

Today I am:

-(in the process of) cleaning out my closet wherein all my Burner stuff hides. I forgot I had all this awesome stuff!
-stenciling the new ARTery logo onto a tank-top to see how it looks, prior to making a more permanent stencil for more of them
-deciding how/if I want to alter my goggles for this year (I'm thinking of pasting on a shit-ton of googly-eyes)
-------------------------------
(cold hands, warm bacon)

User avatar
melodiousdirge
Posts: 687
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:29 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Location: Central Coast, CA

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by melodiousdirge » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:51 pm

brody wrote:I'm leaving for the playa in a little over a month (ack) so my "one item for BM a day" is moving into "AS MANY ITEMS AS I CAN PER DAY" mode.
I feel ya. Getting a little stressed out myself!
Beware teh snarkasm

User avatar
ohCarie
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:10 pm
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BDC & Orgasm Cove
Location: SoFlo

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by ohCarie » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:31 pm

Recoil--you are part of the Rooster mobile? Are you kidding me? the one that's two stories high and built on a classic car body and plays crazy music and has more lights than Vegas? is that the one? IS IT? OMG we LOVED that car! We stood in amazement with our mouths open :D
If you think you've overdone it, double it.

User avatar
Dr Jet Sinister
Posts: 608
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:43 pm
Burning Since: 1986
Location: ..

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:32 pm

melodiousdirge wrote:My new bearings came for the playa trike today, so I jammed it most of the way together. Woot! This was a pretty beat up industrial trike I rescued from the scrap steel bin a few months ago and have been refurbishing. Should do the trick!!

Image

...and yes, my garage is rather crowded. :(
What is that in the tank? That's in your garage? It would be fish soup in my garage.
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

User avatar
melodiousdirge
Posts: 687
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:29 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Location: Central Coast, CA

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by melodiousdirge » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:39 pm

Dr Jet Sinister wrote:What is that in the tank? That's in your garage? It would be fish soup in my garage.
You can see an Oscar and a Tiger Shovelnose Catfish in the photo. The tank is in my garage because it's too big for my living room.
Beware teh snarkasm

User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
Posts: 12576
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2018

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by Savannah » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Picked up a small stainless steel cocktail shaker . . .

Yesterday: cleaning supplies, travel diary.

User avatar
TinkerMom
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:35 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity @ 404 Not Found
Location: Flagstaff, AZ

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by TinkerMom » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:34 pm

I finished any and all wood work, ie... Evap pond with bolts and wingnuts, shower base and top, genny baffle box.
And built handicap ramps for in my house, and installed raillings and handles.
Mowed the property.
Welded some parts on my bike, fixed the boy's bikes.
Bent rebar, built the BBQ, and put my ladder rack on my truck.
More than just BM I have to do in a day.
....the password is pineapple.........

Just throw it on the fire! It will kill it or cure it!!

User avatar
VeganChoirGirl
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:38 pm

So, my partner brings ray guns every year. His alter ego is, "Haji, largest arms dealer on playa." ANNNYYYWAAAAYYYY...his gun arrived today. 350 VERY large ray guns. There are 12 large boxes in our tiny living room. Thank GOODNESS we're leaving soon. But this year's model is looking good. Very excited about some illegal arms trading. :D
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

User avatar
yurtgirl
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:08 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by yurtgirl » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:48 pm

Since my days are spent obsessing over what to bring and not to bring, i like the idea of one BM thing a day.
So, today, I bought stuff for the first aid kit.
Tomorrow, I'll put it all together.
Not bad for a start.
There are 2 dates on your tombstone and all you're friends will read 'em, but the only thing that matters is that little dash between 'em. - Kevin Welch

User avatar
VeganChoirGirl
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:50 pm

That's totally a good start yurtgirl.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

User avatar
AngelDanger
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:51 am
Location: Olympia WA

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by AngelDanger » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:58 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:So, my partner brings ray guns every year. His alter ego is, "Haji, largest arms dealer on playa." ANNNYYYWAAAAYYYY...his gun arrived today. 350 VERY large ray guns. There are 12 large boxes in our tiny living room. Thank GOODNESS we're leaving soon. But this year's model is looking good. Very excited about some illegal arms trading. :D
Hearing about this and getting so excited I almost peed myself was my one thing today. :shock:

User avatar
Recoil
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:04 am
Location: sacramento

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by Recoil » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:04 pm

brody wrote:
Recoil wrote: im driving a big rooster and the megaphone will just be used to make chicken noises at a reasonable level and to play a 10 second clip of the chicken dance song at the right moment to maybe spur a chicken dance off lol
Please tell me that you'll go hang out by the Rite of PezzAge art installation (giant chicken-head Pez dispenser).
I did not know about that installation but most likely lol

and i love that MV too but no that isent me, mine is much smaller and is still being constructed and this will be its virgin year!. The base is a golf cart (booo i know we all hate golf carts lol) but im doing it up right and you would never know it was a golf cart unless i told you or you get to look inside and ever still you would have to know what you are looking for.

This is what it currently look's like and i have a lot of work to do on it still and so little time. I don't mind showing it because there some surprises im saving for on the playa still that i am sure everyone will enjoy hehehe

Image

ahh another one thing a day to go with this post is i got ''some'' of the lighting in for the project, 1,000 RGB and some yellow LED's anyone?
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

User avatar
Recoil
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:04 am
Location: sacramento

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by Recoil » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:06 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:So, my partner brings ray guns every year. His alter ego is, "Haji, largest arms dealer on playa." ANNNYYYWAAAAYYYY...his gun arrived today. 350 VERY large ray guns. There are 12 large boxes in our tiny living room. Thank GOODNESS we're leaving soon. But this year's model is looking good. Very excited about some illegal arms trading. :D
that is fregin awesome!
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

User avatar
C.f.M.
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by C.f.M. » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:45 am

VeganChoirGirl wrote:So, my partner brings ray guns every year. His alter ego is, "Haji, largest arms dealer on playa." ANNNYYYWAAAAYYYY...his gun arrived today. 350 VERY large ray guns. There are 12 large boxes in our tiny living room. Thank GOODNESS we're leaving soon. But this year's model is looking good. Very excited about some illegal arms trading. :D

You guys are poly, right? If taping me to your hood for the DPW parade doesn't work, that is...

I am going crazy, listing everything from vintage aprons http://columbia.craigslist.org/clo/2498557271.html to crystal to Star Wars http://columbia.craigslist.org/clt/2498543740.html shit on Clist to try and make money.

fire belt http://columbia.craigslist.org/for/2498529334.html and XL corset http://columbia.craigslist.org/clo/2417392971.html

any audiophiles? any idea what i should accept for these speakers? http://columbia.craigslist.org/msg/2498533453.html
Last edited by C.f.M. on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
VeganChoirGirl
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:19 am

C.f.M. wrote:
VeganChoirGirl wrote:So, my partner brings ray guns every year. His alter ego is, "Haji, largest arms dealer on playa." ANNNYYYWAAAAYYYY...his gun arrived today. 350 VERY large ray guns. There are 12 large boxes in our tiny living room. Thank GOODNESS we're leaving soon. But this year's model is looking good. Very excited about some illegal arms trading. :D

You guys are poly, right? If taping me to your hood for the DPW parade doesn't work, that is...

I am going crazy, listing everything from vintage aprons http://columbia.craigslist.org/clo/2498557271.html to crystal to Star Wars http://columbia.craigslist.org/clt/2498543740.html shit on Clist to try and make money.

fire belt http://columbia.craigslist.org/for/2498529334.html and XL corset https://post.craigslist.org/manage/2417392971

any audiophiles? any idea what i should accept for these speakers? http://columbia.craigslist.org/msg/2498533453.html
Nope, not poly. Though most of my relationships are open.

I tried clicking on a couple of the links...they didn't work. Perhaps my computer is retarded??
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

Locked

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”