One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:23 am

lazerfox wrote:Savannah were did you end up getting the camera accessories?
Amazon has the best prices usually and most reliable shipping.. :wink:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Ratpick
Location: Altadena! (you know, above LA, where the mountains rise up)

Post by Ratpick » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:42 am

Yeah! Today went to San Fernando swap meet and got the frame connector pieces to build shade structure. You know, the T thingies with set screws to hold emt tubing. Bought the six pieces for 1" diameter to build 10 x 20 shade for $25. That's not including long pole pieces, tarp or ball bungees. If you're in LA area go hit it up!
I know enough to know I don't know shit. I just wish more people knew that much.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:57 am

If you should ever need heavier duty conduit fittings, or different sizes/shapes than you find at the swap meets & flea markets, I get them from a place in Paramount called All 4 Canopy. Has the tarps, nail spikes, hurricane stakes, and the ball bungees too. I've been using him for years, if you're ever doing a bigger (camp-sized) structure then send your list of parts & quantities and see if he can help you out. First couple years I was still down in LA, and was able to do local pickup to avoid shipping charges too.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:02 am

Amazon. The reviews were really helpful. I was prepared to spend $17 per camera battery on an item that had 72 reviews averaging 4 stars, but there was a lot of customer input about some of the batteries possibly being counterfeit (though oddly good quality).

But then I found a $7 battery with 148 reviews averaging 4 stars. I liked those numbers a little better . . . and that they didn't try to hide the fact that they were not Canon-brand.

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:20 am

Savannah wrote:
Amazon. The reviews were really helpful. I was prepared to spend $17 per camera battery on an item that had 72 reviews averaging 4 stars, but there was a lot of customer input about some of the batteries possibly being counterfeit (though oddly good quality).

But then I found a $7 battery with 148 reviews averaging 4 stars. I liked those numbers a little better . . . and that they didn't try to hide the fact that they were not Canon-brand.
Another note about Amazon.. they are the BEST about returns. I use them for everything I can just for this alone along with the prices. You have 30 days to return something, even if you use it.. no questions asked.. same day they receive it refund. I've ordered an entire stereo system worth of stuff.. subs, amps, everything.. installed it.. bumped it for the weekend on the boat.. decided i didnt like it.. ripped it all out and sent it back and no problem. Money refunded same day. One time I bought a pair of speakers and one was defective. I called and they sent out a replacement pair next day air for free without even returning the old stuff yet, and sent a call tag and a UPS guy to my door to pickup the bad set afterwards.. all for free. Love them.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:25 am

Amazon is where I learned patience. :D

MisaBlue
Burning Since: 2010

Post by MisaBlue » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:13 am

I got 3 in 1 - spoon, fork and knife :) and it looks pretty too

and I got sleeping bag!!!!!!! :)

and got the waterproof cover for freeeeee with it :D

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:19 am

junglesmacks wrote:
Amazon has the best prices usually and most reliable shipping.. :wink:
I love how easy Amazon is, but if they are funding propositions on the horrible CA political landscape, I will serious rethink my connection.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:20 am

MisaBlue wrote:I got 3 in 1 - spoon, fork and knife :) and it looks pretty too

and I got sleeping bag!!!!!!! :)

and got the waterproof cover for freeeeee with it :D
Hooray Freeee!!!
Also, you could say you bought a spoon and got a free knife and fork! :wink:

And Savannah, I always need more !!!!! I'm not one for YELLING so when I get excited I use !!!!! when I'm really excited I go for the :!: :!: :!: :!: But something has to be pretty important for a :!:
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

DustHand

Post by DustHand » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:22 am

Ok...so not a spork.
spooknifork (pronounced spook-ni-fork)???

I like it!

I would undoubtably slice the left side of my mouth wide open with it, but I like it!! :D
Burner from Baltimore
)'(

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:22 am

illy dilly wrote:
And Savannah, I always need more !!!!! I'm not one for YELLING so when I get excited I use !!!!! when I'm really excited I go for the :!: :!: :!: :!: But something has to be pretty important for a :!:
You will not mind me teasing if you ever hear how loudly I can laugh. :)

(Apologies in advance.)

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:24 am

3.2mm phat EL wire came today from Coolneon! Let me tell you.. this stuff is NICE. Super flexible outer rubbery coating and bends well. Looks really durable, and is great for costumes. Just got done sewing the 6' section into the Jella-gifted white fur to be sewn onto the bottom of the girls black vinyl miniskirt..

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:25 am

We finally finished screen printing our camp tees and bandannas. Thanks to problems with the experimental glow in the dark ink / screen combo, most of the tees came out messed up so we only ended up with a few. At least we have the glow in the dark details (mixing ratio and screen size) figured out for next time which will save a lot of experimentation and headaches.

As a plus, the glow in the dark portion areas glow for hours and are also black light reactive.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

melodiousdirge
Burning Since: 2011

Post by melodiousdirge » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:28 am

Drawingablank wrote:We finally finished screen printing our camp tees and bandannas. Thanks to problems with the experimental glow in the dark ink / screen combo, most of the tees came out messed up so we only ended up with a few. At least we have the glow in the dark details (mixing ratio and screen size) figured out for next time which will save a lot of experimentation and headaches.

As a plus, the glow in the dark portion areas glow for hours and are also black light reactive.
Do you have a thread where you can share your learnings with the curious?
Beware teh snarkasm

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:45 am

melodiousdirge wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:We finally finished screen printing our camp tees and bandannas. Thanks to problems with the experimental glow in the dark ink / screen combo, most of the tees came out messed up so we only ended up with a few. At least we have the glow in the dark details (mixing ratio and screen size) figured out for next time which will save a lot of experimentation and headaches.

Do you have a thread where you can share your learnings with the curious?
My son is our silk screen expert and has a 70 hour work shift this week, but I will try to catch up with him long enough to get the relevant details. My personal involvement was only ordering some of the materials and proofing the designs. Once I find out the details I'll post it on a separate thread.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:50 am

Light My Fire sporks are one of my must-haves. http://playabound.wordpress.com/2011/06 ... -products/

Random23

Several items for BM a day

Post by Random23 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:29 pm

I had to stay off the boards because my todo list was getting too long. I try to get several things done a day but my big project now is my playa bike. I tried to post a pic using the Img link but it won't work so I had to use the url. Any tips would help. Album is shared to all, img is ON.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Q ... directlink

Last edited by Random23 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Jet Sinister
Burning Since: 1986

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:36 pm

Repacked a few prop totes, made the bed on the bus, loaded the buttload of extra sleeping bags, blankets, sleeping pads, and pillows for our overseas travelers, loaded various other items. Now that it's over 108 outside it's time for a break.
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

Drawingablank

Re: Several items for BM a day

Post by Drawingablank » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:43 pm

Random23 wrote:I had to stay off the boards because my todo list was getting too long. I try to get several things done a day but my big project now is my playa bike. I tried to post a pic using the Img link but it won't work so I had to use the url. Any tips would help. Album is shared to all, img is ON.

That is shaping up to be one cool rideand I look forward to seeing it on the playa. Wish I could offer more than just encouragement but my level of competence ends after 2 wheels.

lazerfox

Re: Several items for BM a day

Post by lazerfox » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:48 pm

Random23 wrote:I had to stay off the boards because my todo list was getting too long. I try to get several things done a day but my big project now is my playa bike. I tried to post a pic using the Img link but it won't work so I had to use the url. Any tips would help. Album is shared to all, img is ON.

That is going to be awesome to see in motion!

About the image help: for Picasa images you have to get the link just to the image. You can do this a couple of ways but the easiest (not fastest) is to go to the right navigation & click "Link to this photo", select "Hide album link", then copy the link in the first box.

Edit to add: also adjust the size you want to show as it defaults on thumbnail :(

"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

Random23

Post by Random23 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:03 pm

Great thanks!

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:10 pm

No problem. I had to figure it out too since that is were all my images go online :)
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:42 pm

You can also hook your Amazon account up with your AMEX points, I've been trying to not go overboard but it's hard when you just click and stuff shows up at your door without any bills to follow.

I didn't intend for it to be but today turned out to be acquistion day (apart from the root canal):

Target while waiting for my prescriptions: camping stove propane, 2 locks (same combo) one for the bike one for a project, a larger, more better, $1 dry erase board, dry erase markers, checked out all these skillet entrees they now have in frozen food, they look promising but are all two servings so I'll be making friends on playa one-at-a-time.

It sits between a Best Buy and a Home Depot. The prescription wasn't ready in the 25 minutes, they said another 5-10, so I figured I'd hop into HD and pickup more Reflectex for the car.

Home Depot - more fence posts, more rebar, more Gorilla tape, move PVC pipe and fittings, more spray paint, more clear coat, first aid kit, new work gloves, and chain for bike and project. They didn't have the 18" wide Reflectex (but I did get the painter's tape). A half hour and $169 later the prescription was ready.

I managed to avoid Best Buy but only because I was in a rush to get to an Ace hardware that has some sort of $1 day promotion: picked up 2 vinyl tablecloths (one for the table one for the bedding), baby wipes (WTF in a hardware store?), dust pan, and long match sticks. They were out of the brooms and the red flashing emergency lights, the former I had hoped would be less mooppotentialed than the dollar store variety, the latter will be perfect for a project (now I need an air raid siren).

Began increasing water consumption.

Did my 3 mile bike ride without ever stopping peddling OR lifting my butt off the seat. I may have hiney callouses (but I'm afraid to look).
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Fufa

Post by Fufa » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:11 pm

DustHand wrote:
Ok...so not a spork.
spooknifork (pronounced spook-ni-fork)???

I like it!

I would undoubtably slice the left side of my mouth wide open with it, but I like it!! :D
I use those backpacking! They're light and awesome! And most definitely don't cut your mouth... think kids knife that doesn't cut anything.

I picked up various packs of wet wipes (travel for the backpack, jumbo refill for "baths", mid size for washing hands before dinner etc), all on super sale at the drug store. I am ready to enter combat with the dust that coats my skin!

Dr Jet Sinister

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:20 pm

Fufa wrote: I picked up various packs of wet wipes (travel for the backpack, jumbo refill for "baths", mid size for washing hands before dinner etc), all on super sale at the drug store. I am ready to enter combat with the dust that coats my skin!
Heh.. you can't combat the dust..you must become one with the dust.
Suck it.

DustHand

Post by DustHand » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:59 pm

Fufa wrote: And most definitely don't cut your mouth... think kids knife that doesn't cut anything.
I sort of figured. It was more a comment on my ability to injure myself with the seemingly safest of things, but never when doing something dangerous. Such as climb a radio tower safely, but then crack my head on the door frame of the car. But how would you know that, he now thinks to himself. :D
Burner from Baltimore
)'(

Fufa

Post by Fufa » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:00 pm

Dr Jet Sinister wrote:
Fufa wrote: I picked up various packs of wet wipes (travel for the backpack, jumbo refill for "baths", mid size for washing hands before dinner etc), all on super sale at the drug store. I am ready to enter combat with the dust that coats my skin!
I still try! I like cleanish hands when I eat, and I do a full body wipe down with zee baby wipes to keep dust out of bed (and YES I actually maintain a dustfree bedroom, no lies :P ). My bedroom is my haven should I have asthma troubles or my digestive system goes kerplunk during aclimatization to the heat. Which happens too often unfortunately. That reminds me, I need to stock up on pepto.... thanks Dr. Jet Sinister!

Fufa

Post by Fufa » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:05 pm

DustHand wrote:
Fufa wrote: And most definitely don't cut your mouth... think kids knife that doesn't cut anything.
I sort of figured. It was more a comment on my ability to injure myself with the seemingly safest of things, but never when doing something dangerous. Such as climb a radio tower safely, but then crack my head on the door frame of the car. But how would you know that, he now thinks to himself. :D
Haha I am the same! I jump out of a plane and all I get is a tiny welt from a hemp bracelet digging into my wrist (from hanging off the wing), then I painfully pull a muscle while rolling around in my sleep! Mister says I break easy, but its more like I just hurt myself doing simple things, like walking. :|

Dr Jet Sinister

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:58 am

Fufa wrote:
Dr Jet Sinister wrote:
I still try! I like cleanish hands when I eat, and I do a full body wipe down with zee baby wipes to keep dust out of bed (and YES I actually maintain a dustfree bedroom, no lies :P ). My bedroom is my haven should I have asthma troubles or my digestive system goes kerplunk during aclimatization to the heat. Which happens too often unfortunately. That reminds me, I need to stock up on pepto.... thanks Dr. Jet Sinister!
I always bring a ton of tummy medicine (IBS). I've been lucky enough to not need it out there. Some say the alkaline is like breathing tums all day.
Suck it.

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:10 am

Got my Walkabout Woods Kickstarter project necklace in the mail (+ sticker). It is sooooo pretty! (Pictures later)

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”