One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
DustHand
Burning Since: 2010

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by DustHand » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:37 am

Fufa wrote: Mister says I break easy, but its more like I just hurt myself doing simple things, like walking. :|
Hilarious! I can totally relate. The wife says very similar things.... :oops:
Burner from Baltimore
)'(

lazerfox
Burning Since: 2011

Post by lazerfox » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:33 am

We got both our bikes secured. Holy weight-off-my-back Batman!!
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:43 am

I want to make a huge Frogfuffic statue that we can all deface on the playa.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:45 am

And then set it on fire.

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:47 am

New item for my list...
Recipes for burned, pureed frogs legs. :!:
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:27 am

Savannah wrote:Amazon is where I learned patience. :D

I so wanted to post this in the Q&A section, but decided it would seem too commercial.. but.. check this out!

You probably know about Amazon "Prime".. free 2 day shipping on almost anything for $80/year. You get one free month of trial membership every 13 months, and new signups get access to the free trial right away. I just finished my trial month and was bummed about it.

Until I thought.. wait.. what happens if I just make a new account? So i used a different email address.. and literally used all of my identical info. Same name/shipping/billing address/bank account/credit card everything.. just different email address.

It still gave me access to a FREE month of Prime all over again! At this rate, I'll just make 10 more email addresses and always have a Prime subscription. You don't even pay up front.. just give them a CC# to hold. The key is to go in your Prime subscription preferences and set it to NOT auto-renew. You won't pay a dime.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Question.. is this too commercial to publicly post? This could help tons of people get their stuff in time. Also, since Amazon uses FedEx.. you could have things shipped 2-day to the Kinkos in Reno for pickup. I'm planning on doing that with a few gallons of bubble solution that are too heavy to bring on the plane.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

waxpraxis

Post by waxpraxis » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:35 am

Hmm... that skirts a fine line I think. I mean, it's not stealing exactly, but it's also not 100% legit. It also seems like the more you share the idea the quicker Amazon will shut it down.

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:38 am

waxpraxis wrote:Hmm... that skirts a fine line I think. I mean, it's not stealing exactly, but it's also not 100% legit. It also seems like the more you share the idea the quicker Amazon will shut it down.
If they're giving, I'm taking. I give them plenty of money.

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:44 am

I signed up for Amazon Prime (with the intention of cancelling right away) but the stuff didn't come in the..what, two-day promised time? So I would've cancelled, anyways. What's the point of signing up for something with the purpose of getting there quickly, if it doesn't get there quickly...

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:46 am

C.f.M. wrote:I signed up for Amazon Prime (with the intention of cancelling right away) but the stuff didn't come in the..what, two-day promised time? So I would've cancelled, anyways. What's the point of signing up for something with the purpose of getting there quickly, if it doesn't get there quickly...
The shipping is two day.. but sometimes takes a day to process. It's free, anyway. I've had great luck with it. I even order grocery items through there sometimes..

Foxfur
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/MASH@404: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:08 am

junglesmacks wrote:
waxpraxis wrote:Hmm... that skirts a fine line I think. I mean, it's not stealing exactly, but it's also not 100% legit. It also seems like the more you share the idea the quicker Amazon will shut it down.
I say it's a GREAT idea and we should all screw it and do it! If they were concerned about it they'd have taken care of it already. Even if they do end up 'fixing' this 'oversight', who cares? Seize the day and take advantage of it!
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:12 am

junglesmacks wrote:It still gave me access to a FREE month of Prime all over again! At this rate, I'll just make 10 more email addresses and always have a Prime subscription. You don't even pay up front.. just give them a CC# to hold. The key is to go in your Prime subscription preferences and set it to NOT auto-renew. You won't pay a dime.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Question.. is this too commercial to publicly post? This could help tons of people get their stuff in time. Also, since Amazon uses FedEx.. you could have things shipped 2-day to the Kinkos in Reno for pickup. I'm planning on doing that with a few gallons of bubble solution that are too heavy to bring on the plane.
You sir are a genius.
And shit, even if you only do it once a year, lets say mid July-mid August, you're not really screwing with them.
The only times I need stuff shipped quick are August and December.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:17 am

In which case, I don't want to hear any of you that support this idea complaining one bit about people trying to make a profit selling Burning Man tickets!

Geez, that attitude is so wrong. Stealing is stealing.
Foxfur wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:
I say it's a GREAT idea and we should all screw it and do it! If they were concerned about it they'd have taken care of it already. Even if they do end up 'fixing' this 'oversight', who cares? Seize the day and take advantage of it!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:19 am

Went to a local big box store last night to start stocking up - picked up about 100 batteries, moisturizer, purel, fruit cups, peanut butter crackers, granola bars, huge pack of sharpies, 3 pack of small canned hams, and a bunch of of other crap (all in enormous bulk packs of course).

Plus my wife found a cheap pair of Ugg knockoffs for playa wear. Definitely comfort over style on that one.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:21 am

jkisha wrote:In which case, I don't want to hear any of you that support this idea complaining one bit about people trying to make a profit selling Burning Man tickets!

Interesting philosophy question we have going here. Is finding loopholes in the system stealing? I mean.. I didn't lie about a single thing. Gave them my same name, address.. everything. FF is right that if they were that concerned, that they would easily have patched this via any of a multitude of duplicate vital pieces of info. Where they make their money is people not turning off the auto-renew on accident and being charged for it all.

Have any of you ever seen "Extreme Couponing" on TLC.. where people find loopholes in sales and coupons to get massive amounts of groceries for next to nothing? Is that stealing?

What about collecting multiple coupons from multiple sources and loading up on this?

Where do you draw the line with "stealing" and using free offers from corporations?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:45 am

Fufa wrote:...I just hurt myself doing simple things, like walking. :|
Belive me, there's nothing simple about walking!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:52 am

jkisha wrote:In which case, I don't want to hear any of you that support this idea complaining one bit about people trying to make a profit selling Burning Man tickets!

I will bitch about scalpers, not because it is stealing, but because it goes against everything Bman is about. I've up saled Global Dance Fest tickets, cause one of the most commercial raves around.

If Amazon is offering expedited shipping for 1 month a year, and I need expedited shipping for 1 or 2 months a year, am I really stealing?
No, I'm just doubling the manufacturers coupon :wink:

The idea of Amazon is to get great deals, well, free expedited shipping is a great deal.
I feel that Burning Man tickets aren't so much an event ticket, as each individuals pitch on making an amazing camping trip/party/art festival happen. I don't think the BMorg is trying to turn some huge profit.
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

essjay

Post by essjay » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:15 pm

illy dilly wrote:

I will bitch about scalpers, not because it is stealing, but because it goes against everything Bman is about. I've up saled Global Dance Fest tickets, cause one of the most commercial raves around.

If Amazon is offering expedited shipping for 1 month a year, and I need expedited shipping for 1 or 2 months a year, am I really stealing?
No, I'm just doubling the manufacturers coupon :wink:

The idea of Amazon is to get great deals, well, free expedited shipping is a great deal.
I feel that Burning Man tickets aren't so much an event ticket, as each individuals pitch on making an amazing camping trip/party/art festival happen. I don't think the BMorg is trying to turn some huge profit.
+1 I don't see the correlation between bm tickets and taking advantage of legitimate store promotions. Amazon knows that it takes 5 minutes to create a throw-away email address - they are e-commerce leaders, not morons. It is a scenario they no doubt considered and decided it was worth it to offer the promotion anyway. Amazon makes money off of this arrangement in more ways than just the annual fee. They have probably have run this scenario in every way imaginable and decided it was still worth it to have people get Prime for free if it means that they will buy that much more stuff at Amazon.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Probably one of the reasons why Amazon's sales have doubled since last year while many businesses are struggling to stay solvent in this economy.

Plus think of all the free publicity they are getting from threads like this and others talking about it. There is no such thing as bad publicity - the cost of some folks manipulating the system is likely far less than the cost of an ad campaign with the same reach.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:36 pm

Amazon makes money off the one month trial period because if you know you have 'free' expidited shipping for a fixed amount of time, you'll buy more crap in that amount of time, even if the savings are not really mathematically significant. They know that people love getting things for free, and it's all a marketing ploy to make you spend more money there, even if they don't have the lowest price on the net, or if it's not even something you really need right now. I don't think they are terribly worried about people making secondary and tertiary accounts, and while representing yourself as a different user to take double advantage isn't 100% honest, and probably violates the terms of service, it's not what I'd call "stealing".

I wish I still lived somewhere where I could take advantage of free shipping to the continental US. Getting shit shipped to where I live is a major pain in the ass.
Beware teh snarkasm

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:39 pm

Back on topic.

Went to dollar store, picked up buttload of button cell batteries for my uvie hat, among other things.
Beware teh snarkasm

ohCarie
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BDC & Orgasm Cove

Post by ohCarie » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:09 pm

Reviewed collection of battery string lights, wondered where they all went, remembered what the playa did to them last year, then ordered more on eBay, now crossing fingers it's not too late and vowed to improve system of tethering said lights. Ordered my polarized sunglasses on Amazon (!), finished my sticker design on zazzle (50% off today), oh and yesterday got my sweety a deconstructed cowboy hat from Goodwill (discovered a new location-yay!). Still need to light up the coat, and probably the hat--shoot!
If you think you've overdone it, double it.

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:22 pm

melodiousdirge wrote:Amazon makes money off the one month trial period because if you know you have 'free' expidited shipping for a fixed amount of time, you'll buy more crap in that amount of time, even if the savings are not really mathematically significant. They know that people love getting things for free, and it's all a marketing ploy to make you spend more money there, even if they don't have the lowest price on the net, or if it's not even something you really need right now. I don't think they are terribly worried about people making secondary and tertiary accounts, and while representing yourself as a different user to take double advantage isn't 100% honest, and probably violates the terms of service, it's not what I'd call "stealing".

I wish I still lived somewhere where I could take advantage of free shipping to the continental US. Getting shit shipped to where I live is a major pain in the ass.
O man, hate to do this after we just got back on topic.
So I just got a bunch of stuff, from the "Amazon Prime". It was all stuff I was afraid I was going to have to pay full price for since I waited to long to order it.
I was able to select items that were part of the "free super shipping" then you add the "Prime free 2 day".
Then after reading your post I went back to look and see if I actually saved any money by selecting sellers that were part of the Prime program. Turns out I saved about $23 bucks in shipping, and I spent about $72. So had I not worked with the Prime and "Free Super Shipping" it would have been a 100 tab.
Also, they say about 10 times, while you're signing up that all you have to do is uncheck the "renew" box before the end of the month, and just don't "upgrade". So, right after I got signed up for my free trial, I unchecked the renew box.
But you are very right, I bought a few things I would have other wise got from the big box stores.

Back to the regular scheduled programming
I just ordered a couple 35' strands of Solar Xmas lights for inside our dome. And got two spot lights for out side the dome, to light it at night, 40 finger lights, 100 glow sticks, and this neat color changing ball thing.

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:26 pm

Just a note that with Prime, there's no minimum like there is for normal shipping there. You can have anything.. anything.. that is marked "eligible for Prime" shipped free 2 day..

EDIT: Today I picked up two extra small "kids" fanny packs to hold the EL wire driver and battery pack for the girl, and my circuit board and battery pack for my 1360 LED light suit. $6.75 each with free 2 day shipping from the now overly mentioned internet superseller.
Last edited by junglesmacks on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:11 pm

Whatever you do with Amazon--whom I'm sure is raking in the dough with Prime, yes--be able to comfortably defend your decision should you need customer service to help you out. They can see accounts that share a credit card or billing information (etc). I'm not saying they will refuse to help you, but they can see what you're doing. So if you and your multiple personalities ever have to contact them I recommend being polite and hoping that whatever has gone wrong is not your fault . . . or you risk looking shady AND foolish. :lol:

Cancelling use of Prime within the agreed-upon amount of time is slick, but easier to defend.

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:50 pm

Today I:

made final list, double checked AAA card, insurance, and registration, and found a kitty sitter.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Glued another panel into my dome canopy.

12 more #@%^%^*& seams to go, then I gotta get to work on the zippers.
Beware teh snarkasm

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:41 am

I got my sleeping bag!

Slowly but surely this will come together!
We break to remind us how to mend.

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Today was big box store day. I've tried to shop local mom & pop shops as much as possible, ordered some stuff from shops off the resources list from bmorg, I did buy some LED items from amazon, but some items (batteries, keurig coffee pods, printer ink) just have to bought in bulk and cheaply. Stocked up on camp obligation items (pancake mix, tequila, etc). Believe it or not CostCo had Tasty Bites! Only two flavors, but still... Found a pair of pants at a thrift store that we can cannibalize for the Sparkle's utility belt, will finish that tomorrow.
Bought a mountain of hamburger and bacon, going to cook up and freeze.

Tomorrow, more tetris in the trailer and some minor truck work.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:05 pm

I'm getting ahead of myself, but next week I'll be visiting my local surplus store (Ax-man! They're amazing), and looking for canteens or camelback-type things, LEDs, and any other camping crap I may need.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”