One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by junglesmacks » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:50 pm

illy dilly wrote:
Was it the little mac'n'cheeses in the cup? or the freeze dried "mountain house" type?
So I'm not the only one that had a huge 9 foot lightbulb go off at the thought of Easy Mac on the playa.. :wink:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:51 pm

Got my survival guide today.

Hmmmmmmmm, Ok, it's time to make a thivival guide!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

tahiti_treat
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Post by tahiti_treat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:56 pm

illy dilly wrote:Was it the little mac'n'cheeses in the cup? or the freeze dried "mountain house" type?
It was the freeze dried kind. It just sort of sat there in the hot water and made crunchy orange pasta soup.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:58 pm

tahiti_treat wrote:
illy dilly wrote:Was it the little mac'n'cheeses in the cup? or the freeze dried "mountain house" type?
It was the freeze dried kind. It just sort of sat there in the hot water and made crunchy orange pasta soup.
The horror . . . :shock:

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:22 pm

AntiM wrote:
NellieX wrote:Today:

Mailed Anti-M some wayward art! :lol:
YAY!
I have so much wayward art, I don't think I'll be able to pack more than half...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:24 pm

Gods help me but today I'm very close to finishing Pink Night Promenade: Neighvski Prospekt.

I have a feeling that's the kind of title that leaves one damned...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:16 pm

Retrieved Utility Trailer. Verified that if I take the time to think about each movement, I don't come off like a total retard trying to back the thing up.
Beware teh snarkasm

The Bee
Burning Since: 2008

Post by The Bee » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:51 pm

tahiti_treat wrote:Got a playa coat!! Grey leopard print fun fur, thigh length, 7 bucks. Hooray!
Oooh, nice! I couldn't find a coat, but I did pick up a leopard print fur purse for 2 bucks.
tahiti_treat wrote:Also taste-testing some instant mac-n-cheese.
ETA: Mac-n-cheese fail. Think I'm just gonna go with regular pasta.
The problem with pasta is that you can't do anything with the left-over water. If you make rice, the water is absorbed. If you make potatoes you can drink the water (potato soup.) With pasta, you just have to throw the water away.
melodiousdirge wrote:Retrieved Utility Trailer. Verified that if I take the time to think about each movement, I don't come off like a total retard trying to back the thing up.
When you back up, put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. It's more intuitive that way.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:19 pm

When you back up, put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. It's more intuitive that way.
I appreciate that tip, as a relatively new driver. Thanks!

Jax Dee
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by Jax Dee » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:38 pm

In an effort to raise enough money to pay for both burning man and my health insurance I put a bunch of stuff on eBay. Thankfully some of it is selling. But I also had to return my awesome tricycle. It was just too expensive to keep. I'm gonna find some beater bike to take to BM now. Hopefully I make it out there. Only two weeks to go and I still do not have someone to ride with me. I can't go by myself so I hope I don't have to cancel my trip all together. And yes I have my ride share info posted everywhere. I've had multiple people contact me and then disappear. I am getting annoyed and depressed.

On a positive note, I am all packed. Just a couple things to tie up and I am ready to go. Now to find a companion!
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:43 pm

Hey Jax. Sorry about that beautiful trike!

I'll ask among my friends if anyone needs a ride from DC/MD.

. . . If I'd known how much drivers need their rideshares' gas contributions (as much as their rideshares need rides), I never would have missed 4 consecutive burns after my first several. I didn't know ePlaya existed then.

Jax Dee
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by Jax Dee » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:13 pm

Savannah wrote:Hey Jax. Sorry about that beautiful trike!

I'll ask among my friends if anyone needs a ride from DC/MD.

. . . If I'd known how much drivers need their rideshares' gas contributions (as much as their rideshares need rides), I never would have missed 4 consecutive burns after my first several. I didn't know ePlaya existed then.

Yeah, it goes double for me. I need the help of money for gas but I also just need someone to help me drive. I am disabled and though very self sufficient, going across country alone is not an option.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:15 pm

I'd wondered if help with the driving was also a concern; I remember that you have some physical stuff to contend with. So, if I refer any friends, they'll be licensed ones.

How far can you drive before you need to switch?

The CO
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:26 pm

yurtgirl wrote:going to harbor freight for the glow in the dark rope I saw recommended on eplaya. thanks veteran burners!
You're welcome!
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

yurtgirl

Post by yurtgirl » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:04 pm

got my rope today and found little solar lights to stick in the ground on sale for $1.79 each! Bonus!
There are 2 dates on your tombstone and all you're friends will read 'em, but the only thing that matters is that little dash between 'em. - Kevin Welch

tahiti_treat

Post by tahiti_treat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:08 pm

The Bee wrote: The problem with pasta is that you can't do anything with the left-over water. If you make rice, the water is absorbed. If you make potatoes you can drink the water (potato soup.) With pasta, you just have to throw the water away.
Oh right! That won't do. Maybe I will check out that Easy Mac after all. Or try to break my pasta addiction.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm

just precook your pasta and put it in ziplocks.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:30 pm

If your tastes run to cheap mac and cheese (as opposed to grandmother-approved) think I've also seen pre-cooked and canned mac and cheese. Oh! I have:

Mac & Cheese (towards the bottom of the page)
http://www.chefboyardee.com/products/canned-pasta.jsp

Mac & Beef
http://www.shespeaks.com/Hormel-Complea ... eef-Review

(There are probably lots more varieties than that.)

And with a propane stove and a cooler for butter (and a little shelf-stable real milk, chilled or not), one could make Kraft Mac & Cheese, if you have an evaporation system or grey water barrel to haul the pasta water back to civilization.

tahiti_treat

Post by tahiti_treat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:48 pm

Figjam, I would totally do that except we're driving from Canada and the pasta would be sitting in the ziplocks for 4 days before we even got to the playa. In the same vein, we can't get the Chef Boyardee mac-n-cheese up here (no beef for this here veggie), but we're getting our groceries after we cross the border, so maybe we can find some!

We might just be able to evaporate the pasta water too... one of our group is making an evaporation pond.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:57 pm

Don't use your main evap pond for kitchen water. Make a smaller 3'x3' evap pond for that, or bring a five gallon bucket just for kitchen liquids, or a combination of both.
tahiti_treat wrote:Figjam, I would totally do that except we're driving from Canada and the pasta would be sitting in the ziplocks for 4 days before we even got to the playa. In the same vein, we can't get the Chef Boyardee mac-n-cheese up here (no beef for this here veggie), but we're getting our groceries after we cross the border, so maybe we can find some!

We might just be able to evaporate the pasta water too... one of our group is making an evaporation pond.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:55 pm

tahiti_treat wrote:Figjam, I would totally do that except we're driving from Canada and the pasta would be sitting in the ziplocks for 4 days before we even got to the playa. In the same vein, we can't get the Chef Boyardee mac-n-cheese up here (no beef for this here veggie), but we're getting our groceries after we cross the border, so maybe we can find some!

The Chef Boyardee brand appears to have a fully cheesy version (without meat) towards the bottom of the page . . .

But Kraft Dinner would be best of all. :D

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:46 am

I've had the mac n cheese in a can. Yech.

I wonder if those shelf stable things by Hormel would heat up sufficiently in the sun?

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:57 am

I'm going for Spam this year. It's the Hawaiian in me.

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:54 am

I've gotten around to thinking about meals, at first I was eyeing the varierty of frozen skillet bags, it's pretty wide, Stouffers, Bertolli, PF Chang, Fridays to name a few all offer two serving entrees that you heat up in a skillet.

Then I thought I don't eat processed food at home why should I on the playa?

Where I'm leaning towards now is to make a little extra the week before I leave (wow is that really next week?) vacuum seal them and go the boil in bag route. I figure I can either find a tupperware lid that fits a pot or funnel the cooled water into a jug and use the same water all week and limit what I need to deal with. I'm thinking pulled pork, beef stew, curry chicken, spaghetti w/ meatballs, pot roast with carrots/onions/mushrooms, stuff I can add a little rice, or noodles, or baked beans and have something resembling a meal without resorting to crap. I'm sure mac and cheese would do fine as well, I never make it because I'm the only non-vegan in the house (Sic Pup and kitties aside). Granted I won't have the option of all the fresh produce (but really who want to do prep on playa?) although I will miss my daily salad. I'll add cheese, Nutella, peanut butter, crackers and nuts and I should be set.

I'm not sure if it's this thread or listening to Marley all morning but I'm hungry, mon.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:14 am

That's a great idea.

Use a nice sized pot with a good lid and just add water as needed instead of freash water every time.

It so simple!

My favorite type of idea.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

tahiti_treat

Post by tahiti_treat » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:42 am

jkisha wrote:Don't use your main evap pond for kitchen water. Make a smaller 3'x3' evap pond for that, or bring a five gallon bucket just for kitchen liquids, or a combination of both.
Ah, thanks. I was wondering about that.

The CO

Post by The CO » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:16 am

jkisha wrote:Don't use your main evap pond for kitchen water. Make a smaller 3'x3' evap pond for that, or bring a five gallon bucket just for kitchen liquids, or a combination of both.
Depends on how good your pre-pond filtration is. The old version of the evaporator in this thread handled kitchen water fine, just had to be filtered before going in. The current version has 5-7 filters before it start evaping.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:18 am

tahiti_treat wrote:
Ah, thanks. I was wondering about that.

Or don't use an evap pond at all.. build a master evapotron for everything: https://sites.google.com/site/evapotron ... and-advice

..and hey.. wait.. the one on this page looks familar, CO.. :wink: https://sites.google.com/site/evapotrons/home

Props!

"Last year's MK II version got rid of about 200 gallons over 8 days in BRC. The current version is evaporating about 4/5ths of a gallon per hour in 60-70% humidity, 80 degrees and occasional cloud cover. In BRC conditions I expect a substantial jump in performance. I'm tweaking it a little to add even more surface area."

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

EDIT: Sorry for the quick post without following CO's link in which he basically supplies the same info.. lol
Last edited by junglesmacks on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

The CO

Post by The CO » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:21 am

(psst... JSmacks, check the thread I posted. It's a tiered pumped cascade evapotron, with a link to the evapotrons website, which it is also featured on)

Oh, you did.

I just built one of Figjams swamp coolers yesterday.

OregonRed
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Post by OregonRed » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:38 am

Sic Pup wrote: Granted I won't have the option of all the fresh produce (but really who want to do prep on playa?) although I will miss my daily salad.
I keep fresh produce on the playa for up to ten days. It's all about the dry cooler.

A dry cooler is really easy to set up and while it takes a bit more maintenance, it is AWESOME to be eating fresh veggies as I'm leaving the playa.

Here's what you do:

To create:

1. Fill the bottom of your cooler with 2-3 inches of ice.
2. Cover this ice in a sheet of plastic (I use black visqueen b/c we have tons of it)
3. Place baking racks (rectangular) on top of the plastic and ice.
4. Place you veggies on the racks. Voila! Dry cooler and produce all week.

To Maintain:

1. Every day you must check your produce and pull out anything that is going bad.
2. Drain water from ice.
3. Follow creation instructions for re-filling ice.
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”