One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by Savannah » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:51 pm

jkisha wrote:I thought that the angle of the dangle was equal to the heat of the meat times the mass of the ass! :shock:
NellieX wrote:
FIGJAM wrote:Will the angle of your dangle violate the TOS? :?
If that doesn't, the dingle of their dongle might.
FIGJAM wrote:Does that take into consideration the bend sinister?
:lol:

Oh, that reminds me. I bought some ball chain today.

Foxfur
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/MASH@404: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:09 pm

jkisha wrote:I thought that the angle of the dangle was equal to the heat of the meat times the mass of the ass! :shock:
NellieX wrote:
FIGJAM wrote:Will the angle of your dangle violate the TOS? :?
If that doesn't, the dingle of their dongle might.
JK is my new staff physical assist, er, staff physicist, ahem... :oops:
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:14 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Now this powerful legendary weapon has a name.

What's the legend?
It doesn't have a legend yet, but I'm sure we can make one! :twisted: :D
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:53 am

The tarp for our Monkey hut has arrived. Picking up the rest of the parts later today.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:07 am

Keeping in the monkeyhut spirit: 2 days ago we received the aluminet, bungee ball chords & shark bite clamps w/hooks.

But yesterday's mail delivery was surprising. My package from Hong Kong arrived. YAY!!
Along with some other little things: bungee rope (monkeyhut), snap buttons (for my gifts)

*happy dancing everywhere*
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:22 am

I have monkey (hut) business also. I set up my hut a couple weeks ago, but yesterday I noticed that it had taken on an odd shape, and the pvc had warped weird. So I tore it all down, and will have to get some new pvc tonight on the way home from work. I'm not quite sure why it warped, other then being set up for a period of time...??
What other people think about you is none of your business.

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:42 am

I couldn't resist.. I just bought a 100mw green laser for $22/shipped from Amazon. I knew I had to have it when the top review gave it one star for "BEING TOO BRIGHT>> THIS THING IS DANGEROUS!". Gimme.

EDIT: Had to get a purple one too.. why not? $10 shipped and great reviews.

Oooooo pretty colors!!! Green and purple lasers yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:53 am

That's too funny. We have both of those as well. You will not be disappointed!!
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:02 am

lazerfox wrote:That's too funny. We have both of those as well. You will not be disappointed!!

Really? Same exact? I was hesitant on the 100mw green one, as all the 5mw ones look exactly the same and I wasn't sure if this seller was overstating/misrepresenting this one as 100mw when really it's only 5mw..

MisaBlue
Burning Since: 2010

Post by MisaBlue » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:05 am

My item for today is this cute suitcase :)

I hope all the stuff will fit in :roll:

jella
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:19 am

Super cute Misa :)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

Foxfur

Post by Foxfur » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:27 am

That looks totally bombproof Misa!

Sweetpea is so rad. She dug out a stack of 100-150 virgin postcards from the 30's through the 70's. They are so very cool and are going to make awesome gifts. I'm still bringing a stack of modern ones pre-addressed to us and with stamps already attached for us to (hopefully) snag some new Postcard Penpals. PP's don't have to write long letters by the very nature of the medium. It means communication is easier and they don't feel put upon with expectations of time consuming and thought ridden writing sessions.
Bring some yourself!
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:32 am

Yes.. this most definately is turning into multiple items a day for BM. Just picked up a Coleman single burner stove for $14. I tried last year to go without cooking/heating anything and swore that this year would be different. Excited for my playa Spam and rice and coffee in the morning!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:33 am

Foxfur wrote:...a stack of 100-150 virgin postcards from the 30's through the 70's.
...drool...drool...drool...

Ahem! I finally got rid of my post card collection in Lying Bare's Random Acts of Postcards thing in 2006. They were lovely, but I never looked at them and figured that they might give other people actual, rather than potential, pleasure. And within my conscious lifetime, linen postcards have gone from some price of several to a dollar to a dollor or more.

Sorry for the tangent.

Yesterday: Eyescrews and picture wire.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:48 am

junglesmacks wrote:
lazerfox wrote:That's too funny. We have both of those as well. You will not be disappointed!!

Really? Same exact? I was hesitant on the 100mw green one, as all the 5mw ones look exactly the same and I wasn't sure if this seller was overstating/misrepresenting this one as 100mw when really it's only 5mw..
I'll have to check what it says on the actual labels. My boyfriend said they are 30 (green) and 40 or 60 (purple). When I said same I meant colors :wink:

jella

Post by jella » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:51 am

junglesmacks wrote:I couldn't resist.. I just bought a 100mw green laser for $22/shipped from Amazon. I knew I had to have it when the top review gave it one star for "BEING TOO BRIGHT>> THIS THING IS DANGEROUS!". Gimme.

I do believe I'm developing a case of el wire envy :oops: hehe
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:07 am

jella wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:I couldn't resist.. I just bought a 100mw green laser for $22/shipped from Amazon. I knew I had to have it when the top review gave it one star for "BEING TOO BRIGHT>> THIS THING IS DANGEROUS!". Gimme.

I do believe I'm developing a case of el wire envy :oops: hehe

lol.. EL wire or laser?

EL wire is some good fun! Wait.. oooooooo pretty lights! It's allllllllllllllllllllllllllll some good fun.. :wink:

jella

Post by jella » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:12 am

I thought you might catch that I linked the wrong quote hehe..Figment actually got a pretty cool laser at the joshua tree music festival. It has patterns that change, can't wait to play with it at TTITD :)

oh oh I have a 1 item, tracked my goggles and they are on the truck for delivery today wooohooo I'll have time to "customize" them :)

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:25 am

jella wrote:I thought you might catch that I linked the wrong quote hehe..Figment actually got a pretty cool laser at the joshua tree music festival. It has patterns that change, can't wait to play with it at TTITD :)

oh oh I have a 1 item, tracked my goggles and they are on the truck for delivery today wooohooo I'll have time to "customize" them :)

The patterns are SO much fun. We should have a laser show night where we all bring them and shine shine shine!! :twisted:

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:46 am

lazerfox wrote:
jella wrote:I thought you might catch that I linked the wrong quote hehe..Figment actually got a pretty cool laser at the joshua tree music festival. It has patterns that change, can't wait to play with it at TTITD :)

The patterns are SO much fun. We should have a laser show night where we all bring them and shine shine shine!! :twisted:
Hell yeah! We can do it in our dome!
Make our very own planetarium.... Lazertarium?

Junglesmacks, do you happen to know what the continious run time is on those laser pens?
I almost ordered some 'unhoused' lasers off ebay, they had one that would light a book of matches! But the continuous run times were like 5 minute max.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:58 am

illy dilly wrote:
Junglesmacks, do you happen to know what the continious run time is on those laser pens?
I almost ordered some 'unhoused' lasers off ebay, they had one that would light a book of matches! But the continuous run times were like 5 minute max.
Oh snap.. well.. if they're that powerful as to be able to light shit on fire, you're gonna be burning battery juice like nobodies business. They didn't say in the item listing what the run time is, but 'll be bringing a huge effin case of batteries with me anyways for all the blinky crap I bought from Extreme Glow. I've got like 4 swords, 10 LED light sticks, rings, etc etc etc....

That's another thing.. don't forget your random silly/stupid blinky toys!!!! Check out www.extremeglow.com. Cheap cheap cheap.. way cheaper than anyone else, and I'm a whore for scrimping the online shopping dime. You can't get cheaper blinkies anywhere.

Jax Dee
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by Jax Dee » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:04 am

NellieX wrote:
Jax Dee wrote:
Savannah wrote:I'd wondered if help with the driving was also a concern; I remember that you have some physical stuff to contend with. So, if I refer any friends, they'll be licensed ones.

How far can you drive before you need to switch?
I can do about 4 hours, maybe less if I am having a bad day, at a stretch. I am open to all options at this point. Someone to go with me or someone offering a ride. I just want to get to the burn somehow and not have wasted all this time and planning.
Is flying somewhere a bit closer, then driving, an option for you?
Maybe, but where I live the flights are super expensive. So I probably couldn't afford it. Especially once I got done paying an extra $200 for my luggage.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:47 am

junglesmacks wrote:Really? Same exact? I was hesitant on the 100mw green one, as all the 5mw ones look exactly the same and I wasn't sure if this seller was overstating/misrepresenting this one as 100mw when really it's only 5mw..
JS -Did you notice in the description of the green one it says output is <=25?
The disparity seems a little weird...but ours is 30 and it is very very bright so I doubt you will be unhappy with it.

If it is 100mw just remind me not to have my eyes open when you are around 8)

Our purple one is 50mw and when we use it with the kaleidoscope heads it is very dull, alone it's alright but so far it is mostly fun for making things react to the UV light in fun patterns and not projecting alone.

Edit to fix Code

Foxfur

Post by Foxfur » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:50 am

junglesmacks wrote:Yes.. this most definately is turning into multiple items a day for BM. Just picked up a Coleman single burner stove for $14. I tried last year to go without cooking/heating anything and swore that this year would be different. Excited for my playa Spam and rice and coffee in the morning!
Spam lovers unite!
I love Spam and rice in the morning. Some yoshida's teriyaki sauce makes a mean bowl of spam musubi. Sweetpea didn't think she liked Spam and then she me(a)t me...
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:51 am

illy dilly wrote:Hell yeah! We can do it in our dome!
Make our very own planetarium.... Lazertarium?
Just tell me when and where!!!

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:53 am

lazerfox wrote: JS -Did you notice in the description of the green one it says output is <=25?
The disparity seems a little weird...but ours is 30 and it is very very bright so I doubt you will be unhappy with it.

If it is 100mw just remind me not to have my eyes open when you are around 8)

Our purple one is 50mw and when we use it with the kaleidoscope heads it is very dull, alone it's alright but so far it is mostly fun for making things react to the UV light in fun patterns and not projecting alone.

Edit to fix Code

Yeah I just saw that.. shoot. Well, it was either this or a 5mw one or a way more expensive one. I wanted to stay under $20 and get the brightest I could. I do love the reviewer that complained about it being TOO powerful!

With all the smoke out there, you'll have plenty of fun with the beams themselves...

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:55 am

Foxfur wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:Yes.. this most definately is turning into multiple items a day for BM. Just picked up a Coleman single burner stove for $14. I tried last year to go without cooking/heating anything and swore that this year would be different. Excited for my playa Spam and rice and coffee in the morning!
Spam lovers unite!
I love Spam and rice in the morning. Some yoshida's teriyaki sauce makes a mean bowl of spam musubi. Sweetpea didn't think she liked Spam and then she me(a)t me...

ABSOLUTELY! I grew up on the stuff as a kid in Hawaii. Did you know that Hawaii consumes more Spam than the rest of the entire world combined? You eat it every day there almost as musubi.. on top of a rice cake with maybe a little teri sauce or furikake on it. Love it. I had a total flashbulb in my head about bringing it to the playa since I'm 100% cooler free.

tahiti_treat
Camp Name: NoTown

Post by tahiti_treat » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:23 pm

Today I met with my house-and-pet-sitter and showed her where things were. Not as exciting as making another tutu (though I think I will be doing that tomorrow) but necessary.

yurtgirl

Post by yurtgirl » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:49 pm

ive been bitching about cleaning the garage out for months. its one giant, screwed up storage area with no room for a car at all. but today I needed some stuff for the burn and guess what, I managed to make a dent in it. I found the stuff I needed AND created a nice path to the other side of it. See, TTITD is doing some good around here and I havent' even gotten there yet. Spray painted my bike basket a shiny silver. Cleaned out the cooler. Found the folding table under piles of plywood and drywall in the garage. weeeeeeee!
There are 2 dates on your tombstone and all you're friends will read 'em, but the only thing that matters is that little dash between 'em. - Kevin Welch

Jax Dee
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by Jax Dee » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:39 pm

I think I finally have a ride share to burning man! And it's even someone I know! Thank you to all of you who offered ideas or supportive thoughts. And thank you Savannah for your offer to help! I think I am set now, just need to repack my clothes. I am bringing too many...
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”