One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
MisaBlue
Burning Since: 2010

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by MisaBlue » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Jax Dee wrote:I think I finally have a ride share to burning man! And it's even someone I know! Thank you to all of you who offered ideas or supportive thoughts. And thank you Savannah for your offer to help! I think I am set now, just need to repack my clothes. I am bringing too many...

Awesome!!!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:49 pm

Jax Dee wrote:I think I finally have a ride share to burning man! And it's even someone I know! Thank you to all of you who offered ideas or supportive thoughts. And thank you Savannah for your offer to help! I think I am set now, just need to repack my clothes. I am bringing too many...
Congratulations!

I'd better tell the guy I alerted to your situation that you have got things sorted out. :lol: (Don't worry, he has a car too; just might've been willing/interested).

Jax Dee
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by Jax Dee » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:57 pm

Savannah wrote:
Congratulations!

I'd better tell the guy I alerted to your situation that you have got things sorted out. :lol: (Don't worry, he has a car too; just might've been willing/interested).
Yes I am pretty sure I am all squared away. Again, thank you so much!
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:37 pm

Yay!

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:48 pm

>gal H2O 2 day + OJ in AM ....gotta run..cu
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Foxfur
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/MASH@404: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:15 pm

Damn! This thread won't let us post pics! Wanna see my new haircut? And them crazy hot pants...
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... 56#p714956

God he's slutty...
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:59 am

Finished dome canopy fasteners. Set up dome canopy. Held celebratory soiree in drawers.

Built 2' sides onto flat deck trailer I will be hauling all my crap on.

Committed to buying 75W solar panel to mount to the roof of my vehicle. (Let there be 12v driven luxuries!)

Bought a bunch of miscellaneous crap to ship to a broker in Sumas WA, for me to pick up on my way down. Man you guys have it made with free shipping!
Beware teh snarkasm

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:40 am

since our generator doesn't power on the a/c of airstream we have "configured" a window unit and a way to block off part of the trailer so the little unit doesn't burn out. have made a cardboard template to square around the unit. Making back up cardboard pieces today. A guy at work may have a larger gen that we can use, he hasn't started it up in a year and a half or so he says. Will test it out this weekend. If it works, will have to build baffle box. Don't hit me too hard for wanting a/c. i have hot flashes still.

Catscan today to get the all clear to go from the docs!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:22 am

TK, let me know how it goes.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:54 am

Great day yesterday, starting when Sic Pup stopped by for a visit. Took me a sec to realize who he was - guess I was expecting someone in a suit with a broken link box for a head. Thanks for the water jugs and fresh corn, it is truly some of the most delicious corn on the cob I have ever had.

Later a run to Home Despot to use the last of my gift cards. Picked up 4 solar lights, 2 rolls of redneck chrome, 1 roll neon green duck tape, 2 rolls of frog tape, 100 ft of rope, bungees, 4 heavy duty ratcheting tie downs, padlock and hasp, carabiners, and all the pvc parts for our monkey hut.

The only thing they didn't have was the 2 foot rebar, so tonight I'm off to a different HD.

For anyone who isn't aware of it - Amex rewards points can be redeemed for HD gift cards. We pretty much use Amex for every purchase we make and it generates a lot of free shopping trips to the depot. Although I'm not a huge fan of HD, it is a painless way to get tools, building materials, and garden stuff.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:58 am

Both HD and Lowes have a military discount of 10%, which is nice for us. I can turn my NFCU Visa points into Lowes gift cards, we're nearly there again. That's my on base commissary, co-pay, insurance and fees card, so I gain points every month on stuff I have to pay anyway.

Foxfur

Post by Foxfur » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:48 am

(((((Tamarakay)))))
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

Dr Jet Sinister
Burning Since: 1986

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:33 am

tamarakay wrote:since our generator doesn't power on the a/c of airstream we have "configured" a window unit and a way to block off part of the trailer so the little unit doesn't burn out. have made a cardboard template to square around the unit. Making back up cardboard pieces today. A guy at work may have a larger gen that we can use, he hasn't started it up in a year and a half or so he says. Will test it out this weekend. If it works, will have to build baffle box. Don't hit me too hard for wanting a/c. i have hot flashes still.

Catscan today to get the all clear to go from the docs!
A/C doesn't work very well out there because of the low humidity. Consider a portable swamp cooler or use FIGJAM's how-to and build a small one. It can be run on batteries, basically, because it's only a fan and a tiny water pump. I used my portable swamp cooler in a canvas tent the first year and it was put-on-a-jacket cold in there in no time flat.
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 pm

So I got bad news last week about the Burning Van...it is, as they say a lost cause. I knew it wasn't going to make this burn, but I had some fantasy that I could raise a few grand and get it to go through a few more burns. Not so. Alas.

So, today, I took off my jerry-rigged roof rack to see if I could make it work on the Beetle. Nothin' doin.

No worries. I'm traveling light.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:53 am

Sorry to hear about your van Clar-i-ty.

Worked on the monkey hut last night. All the parts are cut and the ridge pole taping is done so far.

Still no luck with rebar, heading to a third HD today and bringing my cordless sawzall in case I need to buy big ones and cut them down.

Picked up earplugs and a long cable to lock the bikes to the bike rack.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:37 am

Got 75W solar panel... cuz I felt like I didn't have enough crap to hook up/install before I go.

Built steel structure for the balcony on top of my dome; broke a finger in the process. Fuuuuuuuuuu
Beware teh snarkasm

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:45 am

Savannah wrote:Nerf N-Force Sword - Shadow Fury Blue

So ya'll will not believe what two of our virgins happened to have in their trunk last night (well you might have guessed)

They had 2 Nerf Force Shadow Fury Swords!
O yeah- you bet!
And they are letting me cover one in shiny blue fabric to match my blue Ninja pants!!!!
And I found the most perfect blue fabric (well actually one of the virgins found it) to cover it in. It matches the pants so amazing!
Ya'll better watch out!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:43 am

small subwoofer, little amp parts, marine stereo cover, other parts. Don't know if I'll have the nerve to play the results loud, but what the hell. Might just go deep playa and crank it up. I'm putting a guitar amp in it too to play along (that's Goldilocks, busting in where she isn't welcome.)
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:32 am

Elorrum, are you building your own stereo?
Why two amps?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Foxfur

Post by Foxfur » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:59 am

illy dilly wrote:
Savannah wrote:Nerf N-Force Sword - Shadow Fury Blue

So ya'll will not believe what two of our virgins happened to have in their trunk last night (well you might have guessed)

They had 2 Nerf Force Shadow Fury Swords!
O yeah- you bet!
And they are letting me cover one in shiny blue fabric to match my blue Ninja pants!!!!
And I found the most perfect blue fabric (well actually one of the virgins found it) to cover it in. It matches the pants so amazing!
Ya'll better watch out!
Yay virgins!
(I can't wait to lose my virginity :shock: 8) )
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:01 pm

Score - finally found a HD with 24" rebar. Picked up 2 extra pvc pipes for spares in case of emergency.

Off to do a test run on the monkey hut now.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:05 pm

illy dilly wrote:Elorrum, are you building your own stereo?
Why two amps?
little mono amp for the guitar/aux inst. with 5" woofer. 8w
maybe one for the DVC sub 15W t-amp
one for the mains L and R or plus passive sub 15W t-amp.... OR if I can manage the 24 power supply 100W t-amp
it looks like picasso's radio shack here right now
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

cullen

Post by cullen » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:44 pm

My one thing a day/week for next years burn started Monday when i picked up a 7x16 trailer.
Normal? Bah! A cheerful ideal for the weak-minded.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:58 pm

Train ticket purchased.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:02 pm

Ingredients for trailmix and the commissary staples shopping done. MyLarry handwashed my whites in UV block rinse for me (HE machine won't work for that).

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:13 pm

Monkey hut test a success, although I did have run out and buy 30 bungee balls. 4 of the 30 we had failed, so figured I better replace them all.

Foxfur

Post by Foxfur » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:14 pm

Changed the oil in the truck, replaced headlights, turn signal and brake lights, and fixed the A/C fan.
Got a quote on 4 new struts: $300. I'm saving $500 by doing it myself. That's half a Honda generator.
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

jella
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:17 pm

Took the boy thrift shopping he found a few neat things sarongs, camo pant and bandanas and thennnnnnnnn I found a yummy evening gown mermaid cut and soooooo sparkly (think Michael Jacksons glove 8) )it just had to go to the prom ! A couple nips here and there and it will be a pefect fit. I decided my rights of passage was to finally go to a prom and what better place then Black Rock City !
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:46 pm

Dropped one project off to be shipped in the NYC container.

That's it, I'm taking a break from BM stuff trying to regroup after a setback in another project.
It's BM right? Tomorrow's another day (sigh).
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:07 pm

I got an oven thermometer to measure my dashboard temp for accuracy. One-ply and canned goods at the Food-Maxx.

I have yet to use my 5-gallon turd bucket, but I bring it every year in case of rainout or whiteouyt... :mrgreen:

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”