One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
tahiti_treat
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by tahiti_treat » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:23 am

We had our Burning Man garage sale this weekend and raised 300 bucks for gas money! It will be a drop in the bucket, but every drop counts.

Still need to do some sewing and buy one more water jug... then the packing begins... starting with emptying out the rooftop carrier from our last camping trip :oops:

Skyote
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Skyote » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:28 pm

AntiM wrote:
Today I fiiiinally dug through my giant trash bag of clothing from last year. Sorted through it, washed a few items (yes yes, never got around to it...) but the majority won't be going back. Lots of stuff that doesn't fit or I thought would work and doesn't. Kinda bummed, I've got a lot fewer things than I thought. But that just means I need to do some serious thrift store runs
Bring the items you don't want.need and donate them to Black Rock Boutique or Sex Filth Avenue.
Thank you AntiM, I will do that!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:43 pm

Set my vacation-away message on my work email to start August 24th at 5pm. :)

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:56 pm

Converted my two strings of solar LED lights to straight battery power using a 3v - 4 - AA battery holder. MUCH BETTER! They would work for a few dim hours after sunset last year for inside truck lighting, but that's it. I mean.. it was nice for when the eyes were a little.. uhh.. "sensitive" after dark and all, but.. :lol:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:42 pm

It rained cats and dogs today so I did things I've been putting off for ages now:

I finally got around to doing the sign for one project.

Put a doubled up strip of Gorilla tape along the top edge of 50' of plastic fencing so I can zip tie to paracord (have another 50' to go).

I did memorials for Temple placement, sobering stuff, one for a 4 year old another for a good buddy gone 10 years now (9-11 victim).
Last edited by Sic Pup on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:08 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Converted my two strings of solar LED lights to straight battery power using a 3v - 4 - AA battery holder. MUCH BETTER! They would work for a few dim hours after sunset last year for inside truck lighting, but that's it. I mean.. it was nice for when the eyes were a little.. uhh.. "sensitive" after dark and all, but.. :lol:
This suprises me.

Mine come on at dusk, and just before dawn thet go from on, to flashing. :?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

delle

Post by delle » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:15 pm

What kind have you got Fig?

Any experiences I've had with solarpower'd lights have been much more like Junglesmacks' there. Dull glow then out before you even really need them.

......of course I can't say I live in a particularly sundrenched area........... but still. Maybe mileage varies according to brand as well.
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:32 pm

New ray.

The 50 light string.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... YBEPMCMAc#

This string has been on my front porch for a year and I can see everything in a 20ft radius.

I looks a little dim and blue, but when it's pitch black, I can see pretty good with them. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

delle

Post by delle » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:54 pm

Ordered! 8)

I also threw in a 100light coloured strand for the Northpole shade. White seemed a bit harsh for that area.

Thankya muchly yet again, bud.

I'd been looking at lighting options for a while now, and not seeing anything I thought I could count on. You'd think I'd know by now just to ask you, right? :roll:
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:15 pm

delle wrote:What kind have you got Fig?

Any experiences I've had with solarpower'd lights have been much more like Junglesmacks' there. Dull glow then out before you even really need them.

......of course I can't say I live in a particularly sundrenched area........... but still. Maybe mileage varies according to brand as well.

Yeah mine were a random cheapie set ordered last year and only driven by one AA.. not sure how they were doing that being as that a blue LED typically needs 3.2-3.4v. That may have been some of the problem. But.. yeah.. mine would sit all day in the sun and work until only maybe 1am-2am or so. Summed both strings up to the same battery pack now and they're briiiiiight.. and will work perfect for inside box truck night lighting. I'm a fan of blue lights at night for the gentle effect..

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Mine has the single aa 600 mAH as well.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Our solar strings are packed, so I can't check them, but they stay brightly lit all night. We got our good ones at Target after Christmas, they may be GE brand.

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:54 pm

Just got my green 100mw and purple 5mw lasers in the mail.. and.. WOW! The green one is crazy bright. In full FL daytime sunlight, I can see it like a green pinpoint across the street and down a few houses. So cool..

Purple one is ok, but doesn't have much distance to it. The point diffuses quickly and is the size of a baseball at about 30'. For $5 though.. what do you expect? Still fun..

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:38 pm

I just put a hacked pick-up and endpin jack in my peanut travel guitar. I got some teeny piezo buzzers and took one apart, wired it to the jack, stuck it in the guitar, and voila, electric. notes to self on how to best manage my time have been lost. well, it's not really done until it's all back in and screwed down. but, I don't have another phono plug patch cord for testing tonight. All I can find are adapters. As soon as I buy one, I think I'll find at least two.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Fufa
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Fufa » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:51 pm

Foxfur wrote:
Fufa wrote:Not my item per say, but the Mister spent the Saturday evening at the cabin slicing rebar to make 65 tent pegs for the shade structure design we decided at the last minute to go with. We are procrastinating folk. I think I was making dinner while he toiled away...

THAT is no small task. Give him a pat on the back for us! He sounds like a dedicated man...
He's a good man, I'm lucky to have him. Definitely took on the larger share of work preparing for the burn this year.

On to my items of the day:
Picked up a new tent pole section to repair the poles that broke on our tent at the last burn. Tracked down some scrap fleece in the basement to sew over some mesh panels. Bought a mini flashlight to hook on my belt, 2 mini LED attachments for zippers on my backpack or something, a new hydration bladder since one seems to have gone missing, eye drops, and lubricating nasal gel since last year Mr. Fufa got crazy nosebleeds from too dry nostrils. We were forced to stick tampons up his nose to halt the bleeding! :P

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:12 pm

New parasol! I want to hug it and squeeze it and call it George.

much2naughty2

Post by much2naughty2 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:19 pm

Installed Sirus Radio in the trailer, must have music. Deep Fried and deboned 20 lb turkey for camp dinner at home rather than having the mess on the Playa. Fried 6lbs of bacon. Working on DP camp bike racks tomorrow. Much is working on costumes. Collected a palet of body paint and brushes. Dry run setting up camp this weekend and then final packing. God help me, I love the smell of playa dust in the morning. :D

Foxfur
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/[email protected]: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:25 pm

Elorrum wrote:I just put a hacked pick-up and endpin jack in my peanut travel guitar. I got some teeny piezo buzzers and took one apart, wired it to the jack, stuck it in the guitar, and voila, electric. notes to self on how to best manage my time have been lost. well, it's not really done until it's all back in and screwed down. but, I don't have another phono plug patch cord for testing tonight. All I can find are adapters. As soon as I buy one, I think I'll find at least two.
Elorrum, you rock. I've never known a woman so at home with electronics. It is a very attractive quality my dear.
I can't wait to see the trike!
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

Skyote
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Skyote » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:10 pm

much2naughty2 wrote:Installed Sirus Radio in the trailer, must have music. Deep Fried and deboned 20 lb turkey for camp dinner at home rather than having the mess on the Playa. Fried 6lbs of bacon. Working on DP camp bike racks tomorrow. Much is working on costumes. Collected a palet of body paint and brushes. Dry run setting up camp this weekend and then final packing. God help me, I love the smell of playa dust in the morning. :D
Oh YUM. Cooking up several lbs of bacon is on my list, too! We're trying to precook almost everything, and I have to say I don't have anything as fabulous planned as deep-friend turkey...

Today I managed to get our rather complicated el wire plans nailed down so I can go in for a consultation with Mike at Seattle Lumin. They're even going to solder everything for us, which is amazing. I was excited about learning how to solder and fully intended on doing it all myself, but, um...*looks at watch*

I also spent all afternoon working on a pattern for a friend of mine. I'm making him fleecy jammies for the playa and I have to finish them before I can go back to sewing any of my own stuff...

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:29 am

Finally down to only needing the nittiest of the gritty: Bacon, Booze and Smokes. I made a handful of final purchases over the last couple of days that need to be staged, I need to do one more load of laundry, and then I'm ready to start packing the car. Hoping hump-day will hasten the week to progress. I don't leave for a very long 5 days. :(
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:07 pm

finished baffle box, tested, decided not quite finished. Putting more carpet in it tonight as I want to stay on very good terms with MyDearFriend. :D
Tried my hand at painting on Ken's cooling vest I made, it looks decidedly like a 2nd grader did it and that's ok by me at this point.
It's Tuesday! We leave SATURDAY :shock:
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:53 pm

Taped the last 50' of fence.

I thought of a solution to the latest speedbump in a project (of course, it involves zip ties).
Will test tomorrow when the weather is more cooperative.

Rain let up enough to mow the lawn which puts me on schedule to mow it next Wed, the day before I leave - brib....er' persuaded the neighbors' kid to do it 3 times while I'm away.

Picked up chapsticks, lighters, a cup, and the 3rd large roll of Gorilla tape this burn.

Checked storage for the huge zippered bags for clothing, all being used, added to the never-ending shopping list.

Almost finished a less-than-engaging library book which I dont want to renew again and don't want to take on the trip.

I thought about straightening the piles of stuff in the garage out, elected to drink beer and think about it some more.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

MisaBlue
Burning Since: 2010

Post by MisaBlue » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:59 pm

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:21 pm

Sic Pup wrote: I thought about straightening the piles of stuff in the garage out, elected to drink beer and think about it some more.
That's always my preferred solution to garage clutter.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:02 pm

Foxfur wrote: I've never known a woman so at home with electronics
thanks Foxfur, but it's more of a neighborhood I drive through frequently... I wonder how much of this I would try if there was no internet to help me. Trike plans change daily, but there will be something real to bring.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:25 pm

tamarakay wrote:finished baffle box, tested, decided not quite finished. Putting more carpet in it tonight as I want to stay on very good terms with MyDearFriend. :D
Tried my hand at painting on Ken's cooling vest I made, it looks decidedly like a 2nd grader did it and that's ok by me at this point.
It's Tuesday! We leave SATURDAY :shock:
Bwahahahahahaha, as long as you're not pointing the exhaust in my face we are good!

Seriously, I am not sensitive to noise, call it done & sit yourself down please... 8)
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Foxfur
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/[email protected]: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:57 pm

Elorrum wrote:
Foxfur wrote: I've never known a woman so at home with electronics
thanks Foxfur, but it's more of a neighborhood I drive through frequently... I wonder how much of this I would try if there was no internet to help me. Trike plans change daily, but there will be something real to bring.
Do you know how few men even go that far??? Yay Elorrum!
I've been an electronics geek since the 70's and I rely heavily on the internet for circuit solutions, tips, and ideas :D
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:50 pm

Will and I got the RV smogged today and got our tags. Yay! It was SO fun to ride around town in the dusty RV. :P The guy at the smog place was all intrigued by the playa dust and burning man, hehe.

One more step completed! Rv is about halfway packed, we'll finish it by next week.

Getting closer....
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah

yurtgirl

Post by yurtgirl » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:43 pm

So excited! Came home from work today and the hitch we ordered from Uhaul was on the front porch. Got an appt next week to put it on and waalaa! A cargo rack and bike rack can now go on my Subaru.
There are 2 dates on your tombstone and all you're friends will read 'em, but the only thing that matters is that little dash between 'em. - Kevin Welch

socks

Post by socks » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:13 pm

Like a little kid before Christmas day i can not wait.On Sunday i set up my monkey hut for the 6th time.
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”