One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
moonrise

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by moonrise » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:51 pm

Dust Snorkel on the Moonmobile completed!!

It's looking like it'll be a dusty year and frankly I prefer not to bang air filters :wink:

Now, onto the 4 horsey horse trailer/toy-hauler/living quarters... :lol: lots of fun additions in the works and some practical ones too!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:52 pm

Have to love the Chinese for their cheap electronics...
Actually, I feel a little queasy, because I'm pretty sure it's slave labor... Not that I don't buy Chinese goods, it's difficult to find stuff made elsewhere and conditions in other countries may not be any better. Still, I try to buy as little as possible, and to look for quality so I'm not doing it over and over again. Sometimes I fcuk up though.
More often than I want to...

Oh yeah, then there's the whole loss of manufacturing jobs in this country... Sucks, the whole damn situation sucks...

I can hear those voices now: You don't need to buy cotton for your bloomers. That's grown in appauling conditions in the States and then processed in appauling conditions in Manchester... Do you really want to support that? Wool's good enough, even t hough it itches and it's so hard to wash....
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Post by tattoogoddess » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:38 pm

OI! Just spent $18 on 4 clips and 4 o rings for my skirt. Hell the clips are worth more then the fabric haha Now i have to order some pulls to make them tight
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:05 am

underwater bag for my new camera (for dust)
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:44 pm

I got 12 inch steel ramp ends at the tractor supply to bolt on 2x12 planks to make ramps. Hopefully, I'll never drive my buggy off the ramps again.

My maid came over to the house today with 2 friends and helped harvest my apricot tree. They are going to the gleaners group. She also trimmed back some limbs with my loppers . She is a very hard worker. She brought me some coconut macaroons as a gift. Yumm. :D

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:53 pm

I found a party/costume store in Fredericksburg, Va. this afternoon. Big place, but geared towards the chilluns. But, I did find the wackiest, big, retro, very "strong" colored glasses to bring. Not really sunglasses, but mos def a statement. Bought 3 pair...I cannot wear them here, as I live in a "rural" area, if you get my drift. I think if I rode my playa bike down the road here, they would have me strung up in no time.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:11 pm

sorry did not see the above response. Yes you are correct it most likely is some sort of underpaid labor. But we also have that here to. Most people do not make enough to keep up with inflation and there is no sign of raising the min wage. I work for $5.50 an hour. I avrg about $7.50 with tips per week and I am the one who makes the most out of the three bartenders here. My last job I was making $150 ever two weeks and required to be there 35 hours a week. So we do have it here as well in the states.

Fimo clay- They worked out pretty well. I could not do those little wing looking ones though. I tried to hard to mold them like that. I did make 2 other pairs. Worked really well. Wore one pair yesterday and one today. No irritation. Pretty comfy as well to. Need to make 2 more pairs. For sure bringing them to the playa.

catinthefunnyhat

Post by catinthefunnyhat » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:04 pm

Hit the sewing shops and picked up a bunch of supplies. Got a couple of cheap (very cheap) shirts on sale at a discount place, gonna alter the neck on one and maybe decorate the other somehow. Also got a pair of black lace booty shorts and, oddly, the inclination to wear them as outerwear on the playa! We'll see if that lasts....
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:27 am

I had been planning to get one of those headbands with antennae on them and then use fabric paint to add yellow stripes to a black shirt (something buzztastic for precompression as well as the playa), but found a closeout on a cheesy bee costume that includes the headband - cost me less than just getting the headband. Result!

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:16 am

Is there going to bee some type of bee gathering?

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:35 am

Yes, TG, hive got plans to bee there. Comb on over.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:38 am

got my red umbrella for strolling the playa (going to cute it up even more) and more silk scarves for dye with dignity. Got 1/2 my sons big furry coat done, hopefully will finish it up by tomorrow as I am taking a 3 day weekend...YAY
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:50 pm

Got both battery operated and solar lights at Big Lots. Cheap is as cheap does, but the dust is going to be hard on them anyway. A battery operated crystal chandelier from Shopko. I mean, really, I had to have it for camp.

lazerfox
Burning Since: 2011

Post by lazerfox » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Lucky420 "Yay!" about the bag and DOUBLE yay on the getting so much of the coat done!

Got a bunch of fun items at the Hot Topic clearance yesterday. And today I cut up all the pattern pieces for the kimono on freezer paper. Might have to hit up Big Lots as most of light from last year have finally stopped working.
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

Fufa
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Fufa » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:09 pm

FINALLY hosed down the tent. It hasn't been touched since it was packed up at last year's TTITD. I am so lazy.

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:00 pm

I slept till 6:30pm so yeah nothing got done today. All my sewing stuff is at my moms. Oi. Guess I will have to do it tomm on my day off. Bad Danielle.

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:27 pm

Got my hands on some organic heirloom garlic, so I pickled the cloves and the scapes (different recipe) for the Meet & Greet.

Also ran another 120 led lights on my coat. All that's left are the sleeves.
Sic Semper Spectatores

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:52 am

Got a good craft grommet/eyelet setter at the big box store. Now I can grommet my art without bothering MyLarry to break out his leather kit.

remi

Post by remi » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:44 am

Fufa wrote:FINALLY hosed down the tent. It hasn't been touched since it was packed up at last year's TTITD. I am so lazy.
The important thing is you shared/reminded the rest of us (well, the lazy one's of us,) to make sure our tents and camping gear are cleaned from last summers shinanigans... .and for this, we thank you.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

Fufa
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Fufa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:00 am

remi wrote:
Fufa wrote:FINALLY hosed down the tent. It hasn't been touched since it was packed up at last year's TTITD. I am so lazy.
The important thing is you shared/reminded the rest of us (well, the lazy one's of us,) to make sure our tents and camping gear are cleaned from last summers shinanigans... .and for this, we thank you.
Your welcome! I only remembered when we realized we needed to order a new shade structure cover. The next job will be to sort through last year's costumes and other odds and ends.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:18 am

AntiM wrote:Got both battery operated and solar lights at Big Lots. Cheap is as cheap does, but the dust is going to be hard on them anyway. A battery operated crystal chandelier from Shopko. I mean, really, I had to have it for camp.
Battery-operated crystal chandelier. :shock:

Did my heart love 'til now?
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:43 pm

Savannah wrote:
AntiM wrote:Got both battery operated and solar lights at Big Lots. Cheap is as cheap does, but the dust is going to be hard on them anyway. A battery operated crystal chandelier from Shopko. I mean, really, I had to have it for camp.
Battery-operated crystal chandelier. :shock:

Did my heart love 'til now?
It is very small, but cute. Overpriced even on sale. And they had larger ones too.

I have a Swarovski crystal chandelier we got from Lowe's on clearance, $22 for a $450 piece, and I always planned to run LEDs down through it, battery or solar, and hang it in the shade structure. But it would be hard to transport, hard to clean, and I'd worry about people stealing crystal strands off it. It was a floor model which was assembled incorrectly. There was a second, different chandelier, I should have grabbed it too, for the crystals is nothing else.

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:53 pm

I ordered megaphones today.... (Harbor Freight has small ones for about $7!!!!)
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:36 pm

Well went to my mom's to sew. Got one pair of pants 90% done then fell asleep at the sewing machine. I will try again tomm. haha. Fabric to cover up my mesh came in today along with a pair of yoga pants. Have to go pick them up at the post office in the am.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:44 pm

Based on my number of posts in "One Item for BM a Day", I imagine that I will soon have to start a thread soon called "452 Things for Burning Man Per Day".
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:51 pm

Savannah wrote:Based on my number of posts in "One Item for BM a Day", I imagine that I will soon have to start a thread soon called "452 Things for Burning Man Per Day".
Maybe there are 452 raspberries per jar of jam....a jar a day....I am bringing many jars.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Crud. My list ish
Foam for cot
van to mechanic's
um... It's an overwhelming list right now--I don't have a vehicle. It's like the finger of doom.

And I have to pick up my posters...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

International Incident
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Post by International Incident » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:26 pm

Today's task - renew passport (very important - must get started on this)

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:17 pm

I'm leaving in less than two weeks for OCF so some of my daily tasks are for burning man, but are also doing double duty as a I prepare for a week of camping at the fair. Yesterday I pulled out my "kitchen" bin and washed and dried all the knives, spatulas, and cutting boards. We have another "kitchen" bin that is much much larger that has all the dishes and utensils, gotta find that and give everything a good wash.

Today I replaced the batteries in my rear light on my bike and oiled the chain up. I thought I might have to replace the chain because even though I hosed it and dried it after the last burn it has developed surface rust. After the oil it looks OK, but I really don't want a broken chain on the playa. Ugh.
In dust we trust.

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:22 pm

Got shipping confirmation email for my tickets!! Just another reminder of how close we are getting (And how unprepared I still am!!)
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”