One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by tattoogoddess » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:47 pm

we are looking at a zodi. never used one before. have you? anyone?
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:42 pm

I had a Zodi a few years ago. It had the same type of pump that I posted a while back. The big problem with using them on the playa is that for it to work well, it needs to have a pretty constant flow of water, such as from a lake. When pumping from a lake, you just let the water run off on the ground. I had to make a whole heating and recirculating system for showering, and I think I was the only one who understood how it worked. When I did it, it worked perfect, but I don't think even one other person in the camp got it.

If you just let your water heat up on the top of a car, and shower in the afternoon, it probably will work best for you.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:52 am

A very cost-effective DIY solution is to use water pumps for ponds. They're usually rated for the amount of lift they can provide (since they're often used to feed waterfalls and other water features) as well as the waterflow. Without too much work you can adapt the hose/output to a showerhead, then drop the pump in a bucket and away you go. I've been going that route and it's worked out well. The flow is low, but that's what we want (less waste water).

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:35 am

see i thought about doing the pond pump in a black 5 gallon bucket BUT how would you be able to turn it off and on when showering? and is there ones out there that are battery powered? I have see the solar ones. I told Tom i could care less if the shower is warm or cold . We plan on using the cooler water for showering so we dont have to take as much water out there.

whats some thoughts on this?

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:40 am

Put a light switch on the line to the pump and have it mounted where you shower.

Flip the switch, water on.

Flip the switch, water off. 8)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12VOLT-DC-SUBME ... 0891743800

And...

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid= ... pumps+pics
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:01 am

tattoogoddess wrote:we are looking at a zodi. never used one before. have you? anyone?
That should work great.. A hell of a lot better than my Coleman set up..

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Got a set of fire poi finally.

And a set of glow in the dark antlers.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

peyote2004
Burning Since: 2017

Post by peyote2004 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:02 am

I got a headlamp for Christmas :) Now, I'll be able to see where I'm going at night.
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.

Bumble
Camp Name: P6 (BDV)

Post by Bumble » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:43 pm

first item bought for 2013 - planing to use if i get stuck on open playa!
Travel John!

http://www.traveljohn.com.au

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:30 pm

did a bit of shopping got an tall queen air bed (getting off the floor from a normal on SUCKS!) It is one of those colman ones that says it wont leak (hope its true)
got a double burner camp stove, a single 15" burner for our 10 quart pot (turkey fryer base) 2 of those led glow sticks in blue and pink. The set of 20 ratchet straps showed up today and look pretty good to. waiting on our 3 led camp lanterns to show up now.

TT120
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:33 pm

Got a can of Unicorn meat. Makes great sandwiches and keeps all week without refrigeration.

Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:56 am

Placed an order for another tophat today. Just like with the last one, I'll end up using this one off the playa as well (all clothing is pretty multi-purpose for me). It should hopefully be ready in time for the Edwardian Ball/steampunk world's faire event coming up in SF in a few weeks.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:38 am

trilobyte wrote:Placed an order for another tophat today. Just like with the last one, I'll end up using this one off the playa as well (all clothing is pretty multi-purpose for me). It should hopefully be ready in time for the Edwardian Ball/steampunk world's faire event coming up in SF in a few weeks.
Where do you order your tophats? I would like to buy one for my sweetie and wire it up as an early B-day present for BM. I am having a hard time buying one online because I can't assess the quality. Some are VERY expensive! Any tips appreciated.
In dust we trust.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:56 am

I found some nice hats from a hatter in San Diego . Got a British officers pith helmet And a fun bikers helmet from them.. This year maybe a vintage style drivers cap and a vintage telegraphers visor to go with steam punk goggles.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:05 pm

Distractions on Haight Street in SF is where I shop. They've got some awesome steampunk/western/gothic styles there from a hatmaker out of Santa Cruz. When possible I generally try and buy it there in person. It's a combination of needing to see and feel the hat, as well as whether it fits my head. On my last visit I'd found a style I really wanted, but they just didn't have anything that fit comfortably. Fortunately I'm able to put in an order for something that'll fit me. Probably not so much a custom piece as much as just the right style/size combo.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:14 pm

trilobyte wrote:Distractions on Haight Street in SF is where I shop. They've got some awesome steampunk/western/gothic styles there from a hatmaker out of Santa Cruz.
Kewl! Do you know the name of the hat maker from Santa Cruz?! Perhaps I can find them and have a custom hat made. Are they leather hat maker? I met someone that made leather hats a year or so ago. They were upwards of $300 for a tophat, but very nice.
In dust we trust.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Re: One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Post by trilobyte » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Danibel, yes they do leather (as well as other materials, if they made some of the other hats I saw on offer) but check with the folks at Distractions on Haight for info about their hat suppliers. Or if you're okay spending hundreds of dollars buying sight unseen on the internet, do a google search. You may want to try and find something you like 'off the rack' and see if the site offers exchanges or refunds though (custom work is almost always non-returnable), that way if the size is off or something doesn't translate the way you thought from the pic to in-hand, you aren't stuck with it.

With that, I'm going to lock up this thread and start a new one for 2013.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”