Weird Q: what if you do have trouble with the LEOs

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
MistressSybs

Weird Q: what if you do have trouble with the LEOs

Post by MistressSybs » Fri May 28, 2010 2:43 pm

and get out with time to come back... do you need a new ticket? pay a re-entry. Not planning on it - but it came up as a discussion point amongst our newb group. LOL

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri May 28, 2010 3:18 pm

Just sneak in. What are they going to do, throw you in jail twice?

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Fri May 28, 2010 3:53 pm

People actually being arrested and transported to Lovelock are quite rare...typically under a dozen or so, if I recall correctly. Typically, if you get arrested and hauled to Lovelock, you're not coming back. They prefer the cite-and-release program. LE doesn't like to drive you to the jail if they don't have to.

I believe that a copy of the arrest report will get you back in, in the rare probability it comes up.

More likely is being transported to the hospital in Reno, in which case a copy of the record from REMSA will get you back in.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Fri May 28, 2010 4:16 pm

Token wrote:Just sneak in. What are they going to do, throw you in jail twice?
If you try to sneak in you will have another encounter with the LEO's... Perimeter security will in all likelihood catch you trying to sneak in and depending on attitude and luck, possibly pass you on to the LEO. Citations for trespassing and (possibly stupidity:shock: ) will abound.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri May 28, 2010 8:36 pm

I don't mean to sound like a dick (shut up Ygmir) but if you're so worried about LEOs, how about not doing things that are illegal? I mean Jesus, are you retarded or something? If you are so stupid to get arrested in a state that is not liberal on the use of [fill in the blanks], and you realistically think that at BM you'll not get arrested...well, my advice is to stay away. No offense, but it's people with an attitude like that which gives Burning Man a bad name.

But I don't think there is a chance in hell you will believe me.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri May 28, 2010 8:46 pm

dmmvmaldsl;adlknj ......mffmdkasf;l;mnl;dsnjjk

*sound of muffled speech followed by laughter*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri May 28, 2010 8:47 pm

stretch80 wrote:
Token wrote:Just sneak in. What are they going to do, throw you in jail twice?
If you try to sneak in you will have another encounter with the LEO's... Perimeter security will in all likelihood catch you trying to sneak in and depending on attitude and luck, possibly pass you on to the LEO. Citations for trespassing and (possibly stupidity:shock: ) will abound.
those perimeter folks are like tigers..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Dr. Pyro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri May 28, 2010 8:53 pm

I thought I told you to shut up.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri May 28, 2010 8:55 pm

you didn't use the magic word.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Dr. Pyro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri May 28, 2010 8:58 pm

I'm sorry. You're right. Shut the fuck up.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri May 28, 2010 9:04 pm

now, you still didn't give the magic handshake.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Dr. Pyro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri May 28, 2010 10:16 pm

I got your handshake hanging right here.

Give me a call on Tuesday at you-know-where (say after 7 a.m.) I have somethings I want to share privately. Uh, and they're not all SFW. One has to do with a pic on "that other forum" which shall remain nameless.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri May 28, 2010 10:24 pm

sfw?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat May 29, 2010 12:34 am

ygmir wrote:those perimeter folks are like tigers....
Hey yaggie, don't take offense, but you don't know what you're talking about with the perimeter people. They are more like emu's than tigers. Just look at the face and tell me I'm wrong.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat May 29, 2010 7:06 am

Shambala wrote:
ygmir wrote:those perimeter folks are like tigers....
Hey yaggie, don't take offense, but you don't know what you're talking about with the perimeter people. They are more like emu's than tigers. Just look at the face and tell me I'm wrong.
good point, Shambala........I was just going on the "legend" basis for perimeter folks........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sat May 29, 2010 7:47 am

ygmir wrote:sfw?
sfw: safe for work

OMG! Are you 2 swapping National Geographic pictures again?! :shock:

Dib's on the Kenyan Bushwomen this time Ygmir, you hogged them all the last time :roll:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat May 29, 2010 7:49 am

Serious thread drift!

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat May 29, 2010 7:50 am

AntiM wrote:Serious thread drift!
nuh-uh.............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat May 29, 2010 8:58 am

AntiM wrote:Serious thread drift!
Maybe a little, but I think we need to blame Dr. Pyro for this.

Hey sailman, here is a photo to tide you over.

diamondmoth

Post by diamondmoth » Sat May 29, 2010 9:41 am

This is actually a good question.
I think the part about how to get back by showing an arrest report seems legit.

As far as legality, I thought some one on here would know but then I had a vision of my father saying "Don't ever listen to back street lawyers!!"

I'm going to consult with my fathers medical marijuana lawyer. Yeah yea, I know its not "legal" in Nevada and yeah I don't smoke it or eat it illegally. BUT it seems like a legitimate concern at burning man and its nice that I have that option.

STORY TIME! I have a friend who came to Burning Man for the first time. He's a respectable, hard working, good looking man who came with an open mind and ready to experience all it had to offer. Poor man was also single. A hot girl was rubbing up on him when he was under the influence, of course he was attracted to her and wanted to offer her the same good feeling. She was an undercover cop. got pulled out of Burning Man, Arrested, taken to jail and then came back in. I'm not sure if he had to buy another ticket. I think he did...

Anyways, regardless of how stupid he was it makes the whole situation a lot more real for me. He has NEVER been arrested and now has to fly back to Nevada for his court hearing. I'm sure his lawyer fees have been astronomical.

So my advice would be, for reentry it might be good to get a real answer for an "official" and for legality I highly recommend your camp members who are interested pool some cash for a consultation with a specialized lawyer. They should be able to tell you what to say, when to consent to what and how to generally minimize your damaged when you get caught.

good luck!

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Sat May 29, 2010 10:35 am

Like I said, very, very rarely does LE actually arrest someone and take them to jail. More often, they take them out to the LE compound outside the edge of the city (Out the 5:00 radial, if I remember right) cite them and release them.

If your friend actually got arrested and removed from the event, he must have done something more. (Tried to sell it, had sufficient amounts on him for a felony charge like trafficking, etc).

Honestly, I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who get tapped for the BLM's Stupid Tax. There's a reason they're called "Illegal Drugs." Buy the ticket, take the ride.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

phil

Post by phil » Sat May 29, 2010 12:17 pm

One of my friends was arrested and hauled off to Lovelock a few years ago. It wasn't the deed he did at the Burn that got him taken to Lovelock, it was the outstanding warrant for failure to pay a traffic ticket that did it. Lots of things can trip you up.

This guy was a long-time Burner and had lots of friends on the playa. They all got together and chipped in enough cash to pay his bail. He was taken to Lovelock in the evening, and no one with authority to take the money and release his was there, so he spent the night in jail. The friends elected one guy to go pay the bail. He also spent the night (in his car) in Lovelock.

I have no idea what arrangements were made about getting out with the bail and for the two of them to get back in. I do know that BMOrg was aware of the situation, and they may have played a specific role in getting things squared away with getting the two of them back into the playa.

I'm speaking without personal experience on this, but my suggestion is that if you've done something to get taken to jail, before you get taken off to jail -- i.e., while you're sitting there on the playa in cuffs, ask the police to let you speak to a Black Rock Ranger about making arrangements to pay bail and get transportation back to BRC. If you've got friends with you when you're arrested, ask to make arrangements with them, but make sure a Ranger knows the story, and ask her or him to call the liaison between BMOrg and the cops to find out how you get back in, get your buddy in and out to pay your bail, and so forth.

Let me generalize: _any_ time something major comes up on the playa, make it known to a Ranger and ask how the situation is to be handled. People get transported off the playa for medical reasons: if it's you, ask a Ranger to let your friends know (assuming you're conscious and lucid), or have your friends find out for you, how to arrange to get someone to get you and bring you back or pack your gear and get it to you later - whatever.

As for sneaking back in, here's Louise and her driver on perimeter patrol:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/civex/2832 ... 234068895/
If you think being picked up by them is a good time, well you've just got another think coming.

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Sat May 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Last year we picked up a young goof on a BMX bike who was trying to sneak in. (around 2AM) He ended up getting a Citation from the LEO and watched the sun-rise sitting in the back of my truck. I talked to him after the sun was up and he said "I just want to go home!!!". This guy had a 1/2 litre of water and a bag of cheesos as his supplies.

All the officers I have talked to in my two years as perimeter are decent people who have to do their jobs in more than challenging conditions. Respect returns respect, attitude will be treated in kind. I am sure polite requests concerning friends and arrangements will be honored if possible. When perimeter is involved, we will do our best to help out if we can.

Rice

diamondmoth

Post by diamondmoth » Sun May 30, 2010 11:10 am

hmm, I feel I should word this carefully only because it's such a larger topic. I'll try not to drift.

I totally understand how many people would have the opinion that if the law says something, fallow the law. And same with the rules of Burning Man. I can totally stand by the rules of Burning Man, they all seem fair and with the participants best interests in mind. The laws on Nevada on the other hand...

I think saying well it's the law, don't break it is really misleading. (Especially when your talking about medical marijuana.) I think this is true of many topics. Of course I would never suggest to any one to break laws to make a change! But becoming aware of the legal issues that effect you is very important to making sure things like medical marijuana don't stay illegal for fucked up reasons. And of course the best way these days is to vote ( in its many forms ).

It scares me a little when people say if it's the law don't break it only because it reminds me of the mentality to keep your head down and fallow rules....alot of rules I personally don't agree with. I'm thinking that's probably not what any one means. Most likely they mean, don't fuck around with Burning Man. So yes, DON'T fuck around with burning man. I would hate for it to get shut down because ungrateful/uncaring fools mess it all up.

So to sum all that up. The only real advice I can really stand behind and not feel like a sheep is: Become Informed!!! It's your right to knowledge. Talk to the people who know the system you have questions about! I really dig this whole internet thing and the availability of resources ( like this forum! Great place for BM specific questions.) But this is still a Burning Man forum, not a lawyer. That be kind of cool. But I guess hard to prove...lols.

Good Times! I meant for this to sound helpful not preachy!

MistressSybs

Post by MistressSybs » Mon May 31, 2010 11:31 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:I don't mean to sound like a dick (shut up Ygmir) but if you're so worried about LEOs, how about not doing things that are illegal? I mean Jesus, are you retarded or something? If you are so stupid to get arrested in a state that is not liberal on the use of [fill in the blanks], and you realistically think that at BM you'll not get arrested...well, my advice is to stay away. No offense, but it's people with an attitude like that which gives Burning Man a bad name.

But I don't think there is a chance in hell you will believe me.
As opposed to this? *insert eyeroll here* LOL
Dr. Pyro wrote:I must warn you, if you are heading up Route 95 and find yourself in the Walker River Indian Reservation near the town of Schurz, do not, I repeat DO NOT, go into the Four Seasons Fireworks Shop on the south end of town. You will find they carry skyrockets, mortars, and a complete assortment of explosives. These are illegal at Burning Man. I know that setting off wonderful pyrotechnics seems like a good idea, and some people may be tempted to order these ahead of time online knowing that they give you a 10% discount plus a free sample, not to mention they take all major credit cards, but do not do this. You could get into trouble and that would be wrong. So do not shop for large fireworks in Schurz which is about an hour south of I-80 on Route 95 right on your way to Burning Man on the east side of the highway.
I asked the question because it came up in our group discussion. Thanks for the answers everyone... snarky ones included. LOL

MistressSybs

Post by MistressSybs » Mon May 31, 2010 11:39 am

diamondmoth wrote:This is actually a good question.
I think the part about how to get back by showing an arrest report seems legit.

As far as legality, I thought some one on here would know but then I had a vision of my father saying "Don't ever listen to back street lawyers!!"

I'm going to consult with my fathers medical marijuana lawyer. Yeah yea, I know its not "legal" in Nevada and yeah I don't smoke it or eat it illegally. BUT it seems like a legitimate concern at burning man and its nice that I have that option.

STORY TIME! I have a friend who came to Burning Man for the first time. He's a respectable, hard working, good looking man who came with an open mind and ready to experience all it had to offer. Poor man was also single. A hot girl was rubbing up on him when he was under the influence, of course he was attracted to her and wanted to offer her the same good feeling. She was an undercover cop. got pulled out of Burning Man, Arrested, taken to jail and then came back in. I'm not sure if he had to buy another ticket. I think he did...

Anyways, regardless of how stupid he was it makes the whole situation a lot more real for me. He has NEVER been arrested and now has to fly back to Nevada for his court hearing. I'm sure his lawyer fees have been astronomical.

So my advice would be, for reentry it might be good to get a real answer for an "official" and for legality I highly recommend your camp members who are interested pool some cash for a consultation with a specialized lawyer. They should be able to tell you what to say, when to consent to what and how to generally minimize your damaged when you get caught.

good luck!
See that's it too... that anyone could be undercover and it's just not a good idea... then our conversation drifted to what ifs...

Damn I can tell I'm going to LOVE Burningman... Trust No One.

LOL

MistressSybs

Post by MistressSybs » Mon May 31, 2010 11:46 am

diamondmoth wrote:hmm, I feel I should word this carefully only because it's such a larger topic. I'll try not to drift.

I totally understand how many people would have the opinion that if the law says something, fallow the law. And same with the rules of Burning Man. I can totally stand by the rules of Burning Man, they all seem fair and with the participants best interests in mind. The laws on Nevada on the other hand...

I think saying well it's the law, don't break it is really misleading. (Especially when your talking about medical marijuana.) I think this is true of many topics. Of course I would never suggest to any one to break laws to make a change! But becoming aware of the legal issues that effect you is very important to making sure things like medical marijuana don't stay illegal for fucked up reasons. And of course the best way these days is to vote ( in its many forms ).

It scares me a little when people say if it's the law don't break it only because it reminds me of the mentality to keep your head down and fallow rules....alot of rules I personally don't agree with. I'm thinking that's probably not what any one means. Most likely they mean, don't fuck around with Burning Man. So yes, DON'T fuck around with burning man. I would hate for it to get shut down because ungrateful/uncaring fools mess it all up.

So to sum all that up. The only real advice I can really stand behind and not feel like a sheep is: Become Informed!!! It's your right to knowledge. Talk to the people who know the system you have questions about! I really dig this whole internet thing and the availability of resources ( like this forum! Great place for BM specific questions.) But this is still a Burning Man forum, not a lawyer. That be kind of cool. But I guess hard to prove...lols.

Good Times! I meant for this to sound helpful not preachy!
nah you're just fine... I've been lurking here for a while now... compiling some very good information... when i have a question I ask.

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon May 31, 2010 11:50 am

Undercover is usually easy to spot.

They want to buy, sell, trade or share drugs.

MistressSybs

Post by MistressSybs » Mon May 31, 2010 12:42 pm

gyre wrote:Undercover is usually easy to spot.

LOL that's pretty much the conclusion we came to as well. If they even hint around they're trouble. LOL

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Mon May 31, 2010 3:24 pm

gyre wrote:Undercover is usually easy to spot.

Take a photo of anyone that asks you about drugs...
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”