Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:48 am

Hot towel 101

Ingredients:

One dark colored towel of suitable size for face wrap
One zip-lock bag of suitable size, 2.5 gallon recommended
Water

Recipe:

Apply enough water to dark colors towel to reach desired wetness.
Insert wet towel into zip-lock bag, neatly folded and seal bag.
Place bag with towel in full sun and wait untill desired temperature is reached or untill bag explodes.
Enjoy your hot wet towel.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:30 am

Norelco rechargeable...triple heads. Best electric I've ever owned. I get 7-10 shaves out of it per charge.

They need to be used a few times to condition your facial skin to it. I also always use a preshave lotion that sets up the beard, lubes the skin, cutting screen glides over the skin smoothly.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:39 am

Double-, triple- or quadruple heads seem to be a gimmick. They clog up with hair before they get dull. Sweep them out with something like the tip of a tiny scissor, before you put it away and it will last longer.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:45 am

I love that this thread is longer than the internet one.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:05 am

2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Lord Of Ruin

Post by Lord Of Ruin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:11 pm

Ok...come on. This isn't the friggin surface of the moon here.

You can figure out how to do it.

I have the same itch problem....I can go a bit longer though...about a week. Then the itch starts.

The good thing is, the itch PASSES.

So, a handy thing to do would be to start a couple weeks before playa and stop shaving at home. (You can test this easily and always shave before leaving for BM and go back to your shaving plan.)

What you want to do is step up your facial care. Wash with water and a gentle cleanser morning and night. I like to soften it with a hot washcloth, then actually scrub a bit down to the roots.

The key is then to get out of the shower and apply a moisturizer to the beareded area. Even better is to put some on right before bed. Get it in good down near the roots, etc.

The beard is irritating the skin a bit, but is also preventing you from exfoliating the skin. Shavng actually removes a layer of skin each time and is why your face feels so "fresh."

Any good face moisturizer works, but the ones meant for post shaving do a really good job. Your growing in beard will likely be soft instead of scratchy as well.

Doing this, the itch phase generally will pass in a couple days. Don't get me wrong, you aren't going to have a Mr. French looking beard by then, but it will simply stop itching.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

jpx

Post by jpx » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:57 pm

trystanthegypsy wrote:
Raven9940 wrote:Do they let you bring backpacking stoves in checked luggage?
Ye--e-e-e-s but not the fuel. You should be able to buy it in Reno. Supposedly you can't bring it if it's ever had fuel in it, but just make sure it's burned off.
i did just this but got my stove confiscated airport security. that was the coolest little stove too...

i think you can take certain steps to keep this from happening to you:

- don't say you are going camping
- don't have the misfortune of having your luggage sent through with oversized luggage, where it will be x-rayed before being loaded on the plane.

i put my stove right plain on top in my rubbermaid bin, so that i could easily pull it out and say, look! no fuel bottle! but in fact, that was the last time i ever saw my indestructible single burner white gas stove which would have outlasted me, had it not been confiscated by airport security. OH and no hot water for burning man : (
for me and my true love will never meet again

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:38 pm

That sucks! Thank you for the warning.

It's like your little stove died -- so that others might live.

Raven9940
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Raven9940 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:32 pm

lol!

StevenGoodman

Post by StevenGoodman » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:43 pm

I shave every few days at Burning Man. A few things:

Don't wait too many days, it gets much harder.
Wash the playa off really well before you start. It will clog a multi-blade really fast.
You don't need much water, and it doesn't need to be hot.
A little shaving cream and a cup of water is enough.
Pay attention to keep the blade from getting clogged.

I also bring my trimmer. If I wait too many days I use it to trim down to an easier length.

Also, depending on my shower setup, I use the used shower water to shave; since the shave water will quickly be playa and shaving cream water, I figure starting with playa water is fine!

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Shaving on the Playa is quite simple. I have a tin cup that I fill 2/3 full with warm water (I leave a couple gallon jugs of water in my tent, trust me, they will be warm by noon). Anyhow, I have shaving cream in a tube. I just dip my fingers in the water, get my face moist and apply the shaving cream. It helps to have a small travel mirror to see whats happening. I shave normally, rinsing off razor as required. When done, I get a washcloth moist and wipe face clean (I have also used the wipes made for removing makeup, they are easy on the skin). I dump my cup into the evaporation pond and wipe the cup out with a piece of paper towel. then I spray a little vinegar in the cup to sanitize it. Vola, clean shaven...

The tube shaving cream works pretty good, you only need a dab to do your whole face. I could shave twice a day and still have stubble, so I know how you feel :)

Last year I went native and didn't shave for the whole two weeks I took for the burn. It was only itchy for about a day, franky the playa is way to distracting to worry about minor things like this anyhow...

You are going to have a blast!!!

Rice

Raven9940
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Raven9940 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:46 am

FYI: I bought some of that sea to summit travel shaving cream and tried it out. Don't use that!

It's basically a soap that dried on my face before I got the razor wet. Now I've got crazy razor burn.

Seems like the two best options are either get an electric razor and use it weeks in advance to get the face ready, or just bring whatever you usually shave with and sacrifice some water.

jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:38 am

awww just wax it hehe.

Highly recommended for the ladies ....no fuss no muss no hair moop.
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:47 am

[youtube][/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:14 pm

jella wrote:awww just wax it hehe.

Highly recommended for the ladies ....no fuss no muss no hair moop.
I can't wax! My skin is too sensitive, I just get crazy red bumps the day after and ingrowns after that.
jpx wrote: i did just this but got my stove confiscated airport security. that was the coolest little stove too...
aww that sucks! you win some, you lose some with airport security.

However, I do know you can get cheap little ones for under $30 ($40 with a couple fuel bottles) at most camping stores. And whoever said the trangea alcohol ones was bang on too, they definitely work pretty well. You can make one out of a beer can too heh heh heh

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:57 am

Since I usually wear a kilt, I only have to go up to the knees!

Thrift stores are great places to find Norelco-and-similar multihead shavers. I have an ancient two-"C"-cell travel shaver that was AWESOME, but that finally died beyond my capacity to resurrect. (*mourning*)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

professorzed

Shaving

Post by professorzed » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:34 pm

I used to shave every day. Then I grew a goatee, and eventually a full beard.

The thing about growing a beard is that the itching [i]eventually[/i] STOPS. This usually happens after two or three days. The reason a new beard itches so much is because the short little whiskers curve back against your skin. When the whiskers get long enough, your beard doesn't itch anymore.

Beards would be preferable to bare skin in the harsh environment of the playa. They would help protect your face from the sun, wind and weather.

However, as someone mentioned before, [b]NEET[/b] will [i]melt [/i]the hair right off your face and keep it off for a week. It's kind of like an acid that completely burns your hair off your face by the roots. It hurts like hell, but with one application your shaving problem is solved for the week.

I suppose having your face [b]waxed[/b] in Reno is an option, too.

When I was in the military, we were told to shave with [b]NOXZEMA[/b] instead of shaving cream.

Why? The pressurized canisters of shaving cream would explode at high altitudes on board a plane, creating a horrible mess. A soldier was expected to be able to be transported overseas with kit ready within 6-12 hours, as well as be clean shaven.

The advantage of using NOXZEMA to shave with is that it's also useful for soothing a sunburn as well. You are bound to run into someone that will have a sunburn out there, hopefully not yourself.

With Noxema, no water is necessary. You are also applying moisturizer to your skin when you shave, which is recommended anyways. You can use it on your dry, chapped hands too. You would still have to deal with the shaving scum, but there would be a lot less of it, and you'd have to deal with that anyways.

Soap cakes are similar to Noxzema, (non-pressurized) except that you'd need a shaving brush and have to add a little water to build up a lather. You'd probably have to keep the cake in a container such as a (steel) coffee cup with a lid. Also, it's not a moisturizer like Noxzema is.

Strait razors are like the 'Rolls Royce' of razors. If you can properly sharpen it yourself, and use the leather strop properly, then you will have a razor which shaves closer than any other razor in the world. Like Rolls Royces they are expensive, but they are also a lifetime investment.

The worst thing about strait razors is that when you cut yourself, you [b]REALLY[/b] cut yourself. Lots of blood, possible infection. That's pretty much the whole reason that they lost popularity to the 'new and improved' [i]safety razors[/i] that we use today.

If you use a strait razor, you'd better get a styptic pencil as well to close up any shaving wounds. These things hurt like the dickens. Otherwise, strait razors, shaving brushes and a soap cake would be the perfect accoutrement for a 'Steampunk' sort of costume. Don't forget your top hat and walking stick!

In the middle ages, only Lords and Kings were permitted to have beards due to the 'Sumptory laws'. The common men were expected to shave, but blades were very expensive. The steel that they used was quite primitive too ('bog' steel), so it wasn't really sharp enough to shave with either.

What they did was [i]rub the whiskers off their face with a [b]pumice stone[/b][/i]. I think that the Ancient Romans did this as well. You can buy a pumice stone at a drugstore for rubbing callouses off feet, so like Noxzema it serves a dual purpose.

There is also [b]NO[/b] shaving scum to deal with, and [b]NO[/b] water is needed.

Don't expect a very close shave with a pumice stone. Basically it will take your face down to the level of 3 o'clock shadow/ sandpaper. You might have to do this twice a day. The itching will stop though.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:14 pm

A single expert application of battery acid would solve the shaving problem for a lifetime.

Just sayin'

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:21 am

Well, at least we know how the professor got his name...

Plus, any morning that has a post mentioning sumptuary laws, is a good morning.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

dinks

Post by dinks » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:46 pm

Its burning man.. Just ask someone to shave you.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:58 pm

dinks wrote:Its burning man.. Just ask someone to shave you.
It's burningman. They'll shave your balls.
The Lady with a Lamprey

mudpuppy000
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:17 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
dinks wrote:Its burning man.. Just ask someone to shave you.
It's burningman. They'll shave your balls.
Will they use handcuffs too? :)

bs bob

Post by bs bob » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:56 pm

hey i use my gilette on the playa-rear view mirror works great-cup of water to splash razor clean in between strokes-clean shaven friday is a tradition at our camp!!!

bluesbob
Camp Name: AV

Post by bluesbob » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:24 pm

If you're going to shower, why can't you shave at the same time?

If you don't shower, why does it take a lot of water?

I plan on shaving, I'll just do it with my grey water from cleaning up.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:02 pm

Usually just shave in the shower.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:19 am

[quote="robotland"]Since I usually wear a kilt, I only have to go up to the knees!

Thrift stores are great places to find Norelco-and-similar multihead shavers. I have an ancient two-"C"-cell travel shaver that was AWESOME, but that finally died beyond my capacity to resurrect. (*mourning*)[/quote]

Remind me to check for accuracy in a few days :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:20 am

Anyone else surprised by the "legs" this thread has?
The Lady with a Lamprey

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:54 am

I will gladly shave yours for you, no you prefer the triple or the quadruple blade ?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Toe
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Empress

Re: Shaving at Burning Man

Post by Toe » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:03 am

I love using a double edge 'safety' razor because my multiblades clog. Shaving with cold water works fine for me.

My friend used a straight razor at the last burn to good effect. I can never get mine sharp enough though.

For a stove, I often camp elsewhere with a 'penny stove'. They're pretty elegant and work well for my purposes and I don't usually cook on the playa.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Re: Shaving at Burning Man

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:22 am

...way to pull out of the past a nine-year-old archived thread...

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”