Shaving at Burning Man

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Re: Shaving at Burning Man

Post by jella » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:05 am

No kidding...besides it's too early to shave.😞
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

Toe
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Empress

Post by Toe » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:49 pm

I've since moved on to a super cheapo 'shavette' mini straight razor with a finger ring. It takes disposable double edged blades from a safety razor. The result is zero clogs and fewer nicks, surprisingly. I'll see how it works on the playa in a couple weeks.

Shoeshine
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Post by Shoeshine » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:08 pm

straight blade shaving is awesome. but there is a learning curve. Learning to strop it well takes some practice, honing even more.

If you dont want to get into it full bore, any barber supply has straight blade holders and the blades are dirt cheap.

example (not advocating this company just a quick google search) https://www.barbersupply.com/razor-shav ... zor-black/

The key for me is pre-shave oil.

No clog, minimal water (couple of tablespoons will do) wipe it on a rag and leave to dry.

I shave 2-3 times each year out there and it feels great, kind of an indulgence. Just go slow take your time, light strokes. A mirror really helps, not only to see spots but to make sure you are holding the thing correctly. You hold it no more than 15 deg to your face. too steep and thats when you cut yourself.

An aftershave is nice too, really anything astringent like witch-hazel, but I like taconic bay-rum. (my wife helped pick that one, says it smells like a man in good way. I gotta say ups the amorous triggers)

Treat it like self-care, a spa moment. 20 minutes to focus on yourself.

makes me feel like a million bucks

maybe practice at home before the burn though...

Cheers
Shoe
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:15 & D

Post by Molotov » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:29 am

I just bring an (rechargeable) electric razor to knock off the tall stuff. I recharge it in the few times I run my generator. I have BIC razors as backup, Get a good shave when I get home.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:46 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:22 am
...way to pull out of the past a nine-year-old archived thread...
Ha, yeah... but then, that’s about how long its been since eplaya was very interesting.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”