Bride Of The Son Of The Return Of The POOP About GOOP

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
robotland

Bride Of The Son Of The Return Of The POOP About GOOP

Post by robotland » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:25 am

The original thread's too far back...

I like GOOP.
I like it A LOT. I USE it a lot. So should YOU.

What is it? It's a clear adhesive that's a little flexible, like silicone, and super grippy like epoxy. On a smooth surface it can be (eventually) peeled off, and on a porous or woven surface it gets in there and stays until Doomsday. GREAT for applying small decorative bits to costumes, building spacesuits, applying patches...hell, you can even FIX things with it!

There are a bunch of different types of GOOP- Household, Craft, Plumber's...Some come with a little snorkel for applying finer amounts, but then some gets wasted inside the snorkel and it can lead to drying and clogging. Use advisedly.

A wet fingertip can be used to smooth a bead of GOOP without it sticking to you. If it DOES stick to you it'll rub off cleanly once dry.

Using a fan to move air over GOOP while its cures helps A LOT. GOOP trapped under a surface where air cannot penetrate may require a MUCH longer curing time. (Allow overnight for thick coats...thinner may be dry in a few hours.)

Don't pay more than four bucks for a tube of GOOP. There are also "samplers" with tiny (2 ounce?) tubes of GOOP that are GROSSLY overpriced.

"E-6000" is essentially GOOP, but has a stronger stench to it which may or may not indicate more efficiency as a bonding agent. (AFAIK, the jury's still out on that one.)

Once again, robotland receives NO compensation for his glowing endorsement of GOOP. (To his great annoyance.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:05 am

Shoe Goo is also an amazing product, clear rubber that dries into a ridged and strong rubber. It can be smoothed out with an ice cube if you want the smooth look. dried thru evaporation so put it out in the sun and it will be ready in a couple hours
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:13 am

The smell of GOOP can trigger my asthma. Do they make a version with less fumes?

On clothes and small items I use 3-D fabric paint for decorative flourishes. I also used it to make prescription goggles with my old lenses in a pair of regular goggles. A little thin and messy if you aren't used to using it.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:28 pm

Just finished a 4 foot cube for a cat patio.. All joints and applyed wood were spot GOOPed before stapled.. That sucker is not about to come apart.. (GOOP on steve)

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:55 pm

I myself have used the E6000 to glue the neopreen surround to the cone on a 10" woofer where the factory adhesive had failed. 8yrs. later this speaker still pounds, in a sealed enclosure mind you. No signs of letting go anytime soon, as for the shoe goo that stuff is equally amazing, been using that stuff a long time on everything especially snow boots and shoes of all kinds. Cloth, leather, plastic- virtually bullet proof while remaining flexible. Another one of these glues that needs praise is "the welder" just like shoe goo-even stronger. That's my opinion, actually results may vary.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:03 pm

E6000 for me, I have some plastic to rubber things that are done with both, and after over a decade on playa, or in the piles still covered in Playa, the Goop simply falls apart, and E6000 is still looking like the day it was applied.

Plus it's usually cheaper, that's the big cincher for me.

BUT...there is a "RV" Goop avail in the RV section at Wally's that is less than 44 a tube, and will work for most applicaqtions where Regular strength bonding is needed.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:38 pm

Bless you, sweet Robotland, for this nostalgic huffing of this artist's favorite adhesive (not for huffing).

It is with great relish that I correct those wide-eyed hot glue gun officiants that their beloved adhesive is worthless on the hot playa, as the adhesion gives way even when it just gets soft.

Big props to Fire Moose for suggesting the ice cube technique-- can't wait to try that!

Now for a Goop limerick:

I have a young cocker named Cooper
as a dog he is so super duper
with my best tube of Goop
I encased all his poop
now my daughters are stuck to the scooper.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:04 am

I used JB weld yesterday.. I am so ashamed :oops:

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:29 am

...give Cooper a big Puppy Smooch for me....("Cooper's the best Puppy! Yes he is!")

oh yeah, why would encasing Cooper's poop in Goop result in your Daughter's getting stuck to the scooper? Something sinister and wrong there....
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Frankenstipe

Post by Frankenstipe » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:54 pm

So for attaching an 8ft 2V Geodesic Dome Cover in this pattern:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ym ... directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jN ... directlink

would E6000 or GOOP make a tight seal and not weaken or give off any toxic fumes when heated under the Black Rock Sun?

I'm also using one of those Heavy Duty Silver Tarps from ACE, do you think a single layer of tarp for each piece cut or two layers per piece?
I may be crazy but at least I'm not sane.

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:03 pm

dragonfly Jafe wrote:...give Cooper a big Puppy Smooch for me....("Cooper's the best Puppy! Yes he is!")

oh yeah, why would encasing Cooper's poop in Goop result in your Daughter's getting stuck to the scooper? Something sinister and wrong there....
Thanks, Jafe. My brother started me doing this which makes me howl and works on most dogs that are used to putting up with us.

Pet his/her head to the skin on their noggin pushes back and their eyes go wide and say "baby seal!". Then Scrunch the skin in the other direction so it goes all wrinkly around the eyes and say "old man". Repeat over and over and you will laugh your ass off while your dog wonders what's so damn funny.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:14 pm

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:
dragonfly Jafe wrote:...give Cooper a big Puppy Smooch for me....("Cooper's the best Puppy! Yes he is!")

Thanks, Jafe. My brother started me doing this which makes me howl and works on most dogs that are used to putting up with us.

Pet his/her head to the skin on their noggin pushes back and their eyes go wide and say "baby seal!". Then Scrunch the skin in the other direction so it goes all wrinkly around the eyes and say "old man". Repeat over and over and you will laugh your ass off while your dog wonders what's so damn funny.
well.

there are reasons so many of us adore our Jellyfish
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:40 pm

It wasn't Mighty Mouse that saved the day..

It was Goop all the way.

A guy came up to me in camp.. Said a plastic part on his GF VW broke.. Car would not run without it.. Said he saw I was a VW man and might know how to fix it.. Sure I do.. Try this tube of Goop.. Explained a littlw about Goop.. Off he went.. Two hours later.. He shows up with VW and GF.. Gave remaining Goop back and offered three cold beer.. No thanks.. I'm one of those sober on the playa guys.. Pay it ahead to some one and it will come back to you.. Hugs, See you next year and off they went..

And that's my poop on Goop for burn 2010

Foxfur
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/MASH@404: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:46 am

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:

I just checked and it works on my kitty! She's very cool about it. :)

Someone mentioned this thread and that they loved it.
I second Robotland's endorsements. Although it is the one true glue I love some others too. 2 part epoxies are very handy for many things other than making fireworks. Glyptal is an amazing sealant, and ok for flat and close metal to metal bonding. But for all around great results it's hard to beat Goop.
I'm stuck on it! (Group groan...)

Ff
Ff

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:23 am

Not that I need it, but I bought three of the BIG tubes of Marine Goop that fit inside my caulk gun so BACK OFF FUCKERS! :-)

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:28 am

Once you open one of those and give your cock gun a squeeze, you better have usages for the whole tube cause those big fellas dry out mighty quick compared to the tubes.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:44 am

True dat, Dick. With the smaller tubes I sometimes put them in zip lock bags to keep the viscosity goopy just like when it was opened as they never seem to perfectly seal even if you twist the cap down hard. Perhaps I could try it with the gallon bags on the big tubes.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”