The Temple

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
FaeTora

The Temple

Post by FaeTora » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:25 pm

I will be bringing 2 people home now and while I am still getting everything arranged, I was wondering how do you keep what is placed in the Temple from blowing away in a storm? I know the urn I have is steel (I didn't choose it), so I will be transfering her remains to a wooden box so it will burn. What I can't figure out is how to keep it there and what will impact the earth the least. Glue? Duck tape? I tried looking on the website but there are just Blogs about the Temple and information on it but maybe my mind isn't quite back yet and I'm just missing it. I'm sorry my thoughts are scattered at the moment.
We break to remind us how to mend.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:30 pm

It's hard to say, this year's temple will be unlike any before.

A wooden box SHOULDN'T fly away, if yer worried maybe throw a couple rocks in there.

Pictures should be secured with tape or staples.

also putting it up later in the week will help.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:39 pm

Im not sure "remains" are allowed at Temple???
Anyone? Anti?
don't forget to floss

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:53 pm

Saw plenty of that last year.

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:54 pm

I am told that ash remains are allowed by several people. I'm not bringing a corpse but their ashes.

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:39 pm

I'm glad to know you're not bringing a corpse. The idea made it hard for me to maintain a respectful demeanor regarding the dead, though. I apologize for giggling.

I found this which might at least help you find somebody who knows somebody who knows.

Also (it was a long boring conference call) according to this it sounds completely legal in Nevada.

NRS 451.020 Burial or cremation within reasonable time after death; transportation and disposal of residue of cremated body.
2. The residue resulting from the cremation of the body of a deceased person may be transported in this state in any manner, without any permit therefor, and may be disposed of in any manner desired, or directed by the decedent, by the person charged by law with the duty of burying the body.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:38 pm

One Adam Twelve, dispersal of ashes without permit, please investigate.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:56 pm

there may be spaces between walls to wedge something in. or put some eye screws or cabinet handle on it and use zip ties.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:44 pm

I personally helped place the ashes of a friend in the temple. We sewed up a bag to hold the ashes and wedged it into a small space in the temple walls. They stayed right there without issue and were carried up into the wind and fire on Sunday evening.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

thesandman

Post by thesandman » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:18 pm

i am going to bring a picure of my dad he past all most 2 years ago, we did not have much of a service so this is a way of me to say good bye dad.

phil

Post by phil » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:33 pm

Actually, the steel urn might be interesting after the Temple Burn if you can recover it.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:12 am

HEY! BTW, maybe save a pinch of the ashes and take them to Goathead who can make you a playastone with the ashes inside.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:32 am

If her cherished ashes fly away in the errant wind, stop not to restrain them, they have a new home to seek. :(

mode-of-operation

Post by mode-of-operation » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:53 pm

Funny how everyone brings ashes to leave and it's all good. If I pour clean water on the ground everyone freeks out. At least water evaporates.

pizzamancer
Burning Since: 2008

Post by pizzamancer » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:29 am

phil wrote:Actually, the steel urn might be interesting after the Temple Burn if you can recover it.
Lol. Seriously dude? Think about the serious heat generated in the Temple Burn. Any thing made of steel will be vaporized.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:40 am

pizzamancer wrote:
phil wrote:Actually, the steel urn might be interesting after the Temple Burn if you can recover it.
Lol. Seriously dude? Think about the serious heat generated in the Temple Burn. Any thing made of steel will be vaporized.
Lol. Seriously dude? Steel melts at ~2700 degrees and boils at above 6000 degrees. Wood don't burn that hot.

Put down the pipe and slowly back away from the keyboard before you hurt yourself.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:44 am

mode-of-operation wrote:Funny how everyone brings ashes to leave and it's all good. If I pour clean water on the ground everyone freeks out. At least water evaporates.
We've always sprinkled the clean cooler melt-water on the road without any problems.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:28 am

Water in puddles (which is what they are afraid people will do) causes problems/damage to the Playa.

Ashes on the other hand are actually GOOD for plant life. Ever hear people say "When I die, sprinkle me in my rose garden?" The ashes actually help the earth's plants grow.

Be kind. Rewind.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:23 pm

thesandman wrote:i am going to bring a picure of my dad he past all most 2 years ago, we did not have much of a service so this is a way of me to say good bye dad.
I write a note to departed friends and family each year, sort of a post card to them "having a good time, wish you were here." combined with a focused moment just for each of them. Each year there has been a new addition to that group. I find it a difficult place to spend time in, seems to be saturated in grief. That it is released by such a large fiery event seems perfect to me.

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:23 pm

Oddly, when I first learned what Burning Man truly was, I started thinking about art I might bring that is interactive. And I thought of a space where people could go to leave their worries and fears and grief and watch it go up in flames. After all my degree is in psychology. Then I learned of the Temple.

I also keep getting asked if I will keep any of the ashes for myself to which I reply, "Ashes do not hug, keep you warm, or tell you they love you. I will respect their wishes and let them go and be part of the playa they loved."

thefreshmaker

Post by thefreshmaker » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:42 pm

wouldn't most materials in that heat be turned to smoke/ash anyway after?

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:50 pm

except metals.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:58 am

LeChatNoir wrote:
mode-of-operation wrote:Funny how everyone brings ashes to leave and it's all good. If I pour clean water on the ground everyone freeks out. At least water evaporates.
We've always sprinkled the clean cooler melt-water on the road without any problems.
Not to mention, that they do some serious cleaning up after the burns, it's not just left there on the playa floor.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:59 am

FaeTora wrote:Water in puddles (which is what they are afraid people will do) causes problems/damage to the Playa.

Ashes on the other hand are actually GOOD for plant life. Ever hear people say "When I die, sprinkle me in my rose garden?" The ashes actually help the earth's plants grow.
You do know there's no plants growing on the playa, don't you?

Just making sure.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:26 pm

oh yeah. I was just making a point. That its not going to hurt the Playa.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:55 am

They won't STAY on the playa either if you leave them in art that will be burned ;)

LostinReno
Burning Since: 2009

Post by LostinReno » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:10 am

theCryptofishist wrote:[You do know there's no plants growing on the playa, don't you?

Just making sure.

But what about that cactus from Malcom in the Middle?? :lol: :lol: :roll:

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:23 am

LostinReno wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:[You do know there's no plants growing on the playa, don't you?

Just making sure.

But what about that cactus from Malcom in the Middle?? :lol: :lol: :roll:
Specially trained cactus from the Sonora on a suicide mission.
The Lady with a Lamprey

dj_Danimal

This years Temple is WEAK!

Post by dj_Danimal » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:25 pm

I don;t care howmuch work goes into it, it looks like crap, basically its glorified/UNFUN beaver lodge!All the temple of the past have looked like actual temples, civilizations build temples and in a year where the them is fundumentally "civilizations" what do these foosl build? A beaver lodge!... in the desert? Just another one of those art projects that shits on plate and calls it art! Come with some originality AND creativity! Noe just originality! Booo! New Temple!

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:33 pm

FaeTora wrote:Oddly, when I first learned what Burning Man truly was, I started thinking about art I might bring that is interactive. And I thought of a space where people could go to leave their worries and fears and grief and watch it go up in flames. After all my degree is in psychology. Then I learned of the Temple.

I also keep getting asked if I will keep any of the ashes for myself to which I reply, "Ashes do not hug, keep you warm, or tell you they love you. I will respect their wishes and let them go and be part of the playa they loved."
FaeTora, consider volunteering to help staff the Temple. The volunteers that I saw there last year mostly provided their presence if needed. Keep people from burning it down early, helped people on the staircase, looked out for the grieving.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”