Collecting Consumer Whore

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
thk127

Collecting Consumer Whore

Post by thk127 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:45 am

HELP! Ever since I bought my ticket for Burning Man 2010 I can’t stop collecting items for it. I’m constantly buying new survival items, and art material. Creating weird contraptions or seeing potential in other people’s garbage… as art material. My friends think I’m going too over the top hording my items into a large mass. It’s becoming so large I call her “Suzyâ€
-=First Burning Man 2010=-

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:52 am

instead of going shopping, actually WORK on your crafts! or make a rule that you can't buy anything new- then you will spend all your time going to garage sales, thrift stores, freecycle, etc., which is way more fun and also recycling!

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:55 am

Your shopping arises from your anxiety. You will be plunging into the unknown and nothing's scarier than that!

You won't need a tenth of the things that you acquire.

phil

Post by phil » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:13 am

Go for it. Figure out what you used and needed as you go along, and on Friday have a fire sale! Give all the stuff away you aren't using. Haul people in off the street and tell them to take whatever they want. You'll have a ball.

Louise and I do this every year. She buys clothes, then we give them away. People love trying stuff on, pawing through free stuff, and yakking about it.

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:09 pm

phil wrote:Go for it. Figure out what you used and needed as you go along, and on Friday have a fire sale! Give all the stuff away you aren't using. Haul people in off the street and tell them to take whatever they want. You'll have a ball.

Louise and I do this every year. She buys clothes, then we give them away. People love trying stuff on, pawing through free stuff, and yakking about it.
I require your camp address. I LIVE for fire sales. I'll even show up topless!

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Re: Collecting Consumer Whore

Post by EmilyD » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:18 pm

[quote="thk127"]HELP! Ever since I bought my ticket for Burning Man 2010 I can’t stop collecting items for it. I’m constantly buying new survival items, and art material. Creating weird contraptions or seeing potential in other people’s garbage… as art material. My friends think I’m going too over the top hording my items into a large mass. It’s becoming so large I call her “Suzyâ€
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

teardropper
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:52 pm

trystanthegypsy wrote:
phil wrote:Go for it. Figure out what you used and needed as you go along, and on Friday have a fire sale! Give all the stuff away you aren't using. Haul people in off the street and tell them to take whatever they want. You'll have a ball.

I require your camp address. I LIVE for fire sales. I'll even show up topless!
Ah, when do you think you'll be going...
\^/
/..\ Furthur

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:43 pm

yeah, I have a big give away, too..............in fact, on kid took my whole bucket of money.............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

phil

Post by phil » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:49 pm

We'll have our location in August, so PM me. We do our giveaway on Friday at 2:00 pm.

jella
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:02 pm

imagine a gaggle of topless women showing up to rummage through your lovely costumes.... aaahh Burning man ;)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:47 pm

jella wrote:imagine a gaggle of topless women showing up to rummage through your lovely costumes.... aaahh Burning man ;)
[youtube][/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ohCarie
Camp Name: BDC & Orgasm Cove

Post by ohCarie » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:32 pm

Yes, this is me too! I find that thrift store perusing slows me down and keeps costs low. I also let things sit in my "watched items" on eBay for awhile and really decide if I want something or if I find a better item locally/used. I walk through stores going "that's orange, I must have it!" when seriously, how much can I wear in a week?? I wonder what I will do with myself after September?

I like what emilyd said, I should start working on my items. I have 1000 popsicle sticks, fabric, reflective tape, and tulle that isn't going to make itself!
If you think you've overdone it, double it.

shroom

Post by shroom » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:19 am

phil wrote:We'll have our location in August, so PM me. We do our giveaway on Friday at 2:00 pm.
How cool! I want to come too!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:53 am

This year I did a NoCostco giveaway project at our regional. Sadly, Utah thrift shops suck ass, so I'm hitting yard sales.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:03 am

ohCarie wrote:I wonder what I will do with myself after September?
Make plans for the next August.

thk127,

Yes, start creating instead of hoarding. I force myself to pass up rusty junk for sale with some regularity. If it's free and I have room, though...

Stop.

Don't listen to me. Work on a project instead.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:28 am

See my lists keep everything down. I have outfits for days 1 through 6. And the 7th day is ust a skirt that was my mom's that I'm having brought down to my size for the temple burn. The night clothes, I only have two outfits so I have to get more focused on those. But the lists track what I do have already and keeps me from overbuying even at thrift stores because, "nope have day clothes already."
We break to remind us how to mend.

phil

Post by phil » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:15 am

One photo from our giveaway in 2008:
Obligatory link back:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/civex/2834 ... 234068895/

More photos of the fashions in this set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/civex/sets ... 234068895/

Not all the photos in the set are from the fashion giveaway; all are safe for the workplace.

EDIT: We'll know our location sometime in August, so drop me a PM if you want to come by. We start giving away clothes at 2:00pm. If you give us permission, we'll photograph you and put you on our big photo site at SmugMug.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:29 pm

after your firxt trip, make notes of what you did not use. Think of the time invested in those things, this does help with acquisition fever the next year.
Fae Tora, I like your idea of actually planning a bit of what and when, and if it starts going over 7 days, it's too many.

added: when you have to wash the dust off all those items, it does seem ridiculous when you realize you are cleaning things that nobody saw, and that you did not use.

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:35 pm

Thanks. I'm just that OCD. I like to take everything I need and not a single thing more. I just don't like having to take a bunch of stuff there and bring a lot back. Especially since I have to transport it across town so someone else can drive it in for me.
We break to remind us how to mend.

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:50 pm

FaeTora wrote:Thanks. I'm just that OCD. I like to take everything I need and not a single thing more. I just don't like having to take a bunch of stuff there and bring a lot back. Especially since I have to transport it across town so someone else can drive it in for me.
I tried the one day and one night out fit thing last year. Then I ended up wearing the same shorts and shirts in the day, and the same two costumes at night.
But i'm sure if I only bring two sets of day clothes and two sets of night clothes, i'll probably get sick of them and be pissed its all i had to wear.
Murphy's Law
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 pm

trystanthegypsy wrote:I require your camp address. I LIVE for fire sales. I'll even show up topless!
Note to self.

1. Acquire items to have a fire sale.

2. Post about fire sale and tell trystan.

3. ????

4. Profit.

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:30 pm

illy dilly wrote:
FaeTora wrote:Thanks. I'm just that OCD. I like to take everything I need and not a single thing more. I just don't like having to take a bunch of stuff there and bring a lot back. Especially since I have to transport it across town so someone else can drive it in for me.
I tried the one day and one night out fit thing last year. Then I ended up wearing the same shorts and shirts in the day, and the same two costumes at night.
But i'm sure if I only bring two sets of day clothes and two sets of night clothes, i'll probably get sick of them and be pissed its all i had to wear.
Murphy's Law
Last year I brought most of my costume supplies, which is probably a solid 10 days worth of day and night costumes, if you include the re-wearing of a coupld key pieces in a different outfit. I had no idea what would be comfortable for me, and what I would be in a mood to wear.

I can't really remember most of what I wore... a couple of my mainstay costumes worked really well at night, and assless* furry chaps night was a roaring success! However, during the day, I found I was too hot to wear much of anything beyond hot shorts. Even legwarmers were too hot for me. so... my wardrobe will be a little edited this year :)

**yes, I realize all chaps are assless. In this instance, it means you must wear either a) a thong or b) really tight sexy underwear and SHOW OFF your ass in your chaps :D:D

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:14 am

Phil, who's da cutie? :)

phil

Post by phil » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:37 pm

> who's da cutie?

No clue. People stop by and try stuff on. Some let me take their photo to post online.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:01 pm

I always bring slightly more than I'll need, just because I never know when the mood to wear "that kimono" will hit me.

I try to keep it to things I can pack tight in these lovely "travel space bags" and just take things out as needed.

You just roll out the air when you've got what you want, it expels the dust when you do it; you still have clean clothes. The only clothes I put in regular ziplocks are my daily undies & t's.

Mine are filled with kimonos & robes & throbes etc. I like light things that keep sun off of as much of me as I can. That whole red-head burn-to-a-crisp thing.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

westnileraven

Post by westnileraven » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:29 pm

hahaha me too.
Today was tupperware and rope at biglots. Oh they also had dried cherries, coconut juice, smoked oysters and poptarts. and a couple solar lawn stakes. Holy shit. I'm about to start keeping it in my living room just so I can be smarter about what I need.
dammit I still don't have a funnel!

jella
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:31 pm

lmao I managed to squirrel away two dozen solar yard lights a pedicab a bucnch more costumes and 100 lb bean bag "chill chair" and god knows how many glow sticks
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

Brooks_DallasTX

Post by Brooks_DallasTX » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:17 am

Part of the fun is getting all the stuff. I had to make a big pile and then get strict -- what do I really need? Otherwise, it would be way too much to fit in the jeep.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”