Cold Weather tips

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
dr.placebo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Post by dr.placebo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:19 pm

As mentioned before, layering is important. Personally I can be quite comfortable with next to nothing on at 60 F if I'm dancing, but when I'm idling I can get chilled quickly (and not in a good way).

Another thing to emphasize is that even if you are cold you need to keep drinking fluid. Hot tea or cocoa is good stuff at night. If you are going to drink alcohol then drink water (or tea or something similar) to stay properly hydrated. Lot of folks remember this when it's hot, but forget it when the temperature drops.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:46 pm

C.f.M. wrote:Go to the thrift store. Buy a stuffed animal. Cut off it's head. Remove stuffing. Attach scarf. Or use it's front legs, if they're suitable. Done.

SOME awesome person around here DID get me to make them a hat to wear this year....I hope you all get to see it.

heee heeee heeee! If a grin lasts longer than four hours, should I notify my doctor?

Bexx
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Post by Bexx » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:01 pm

thanks for the info.. I'm bringing an air mattress and didn't even think about it getting cold! I'dd be fixin' that shiz right the fuck up!

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:55 pm

I always bring at least one set of flannel pajamas, a bath robe, fluffy slippers and a beanie cap. The slippers are perfect for that early morning run to the JOTS.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

joya

Post by joya » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:46 pm

lightblue22 wrote:i'll be bringing my red wolf spirit hood:

http://spirithoods.com/shop/

got it for free at a video game convention but its just about the BEST THING EVER. wore it to a rave in LA and it was perfect - so soft and very warm. comes with built in mittens and pockets to store stuff. ingenious!! all the rage as well at the clubs here in LA. :)
Hey those are cute! I'm tempted, despite the high price tag... though thinking the playa would trash it. Anyone concur? Or will it be okay for a 6-day stint in BRC?

Skyote
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Skyote » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:34 pm

joya wrote:

got it for free at a video game convention but its just about the BEST THING EVER. wore it to a rave in LA and it was perfect - so soft and very warm. comes with built in mittens and pockets to store stuff. ingenious!! all the rage as well at the clubs here in LA. :)
Hey those are cute! I'm tempted, despite the high price tag... though thinking the playa would trash it. Anyone concur? Or will it be okay for a 6-day stint in BRC?
They should be totally fine. The playa dust (and dancing sweat) hasn't damaged any of my faux fur, and I use pretty nice stuff in my costumes. Just hand wash/rinse when you get home until all the playa dust is out, and air dry. Just be nice to it, that is, don't drag is in the dust or use it as a kitchen towel and you should be fine ;)

joya

Post by joya » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:50 pm

Skyote wrote:
joya wrote:

They should be totally fine. The playa dust (and dancing sweat) hasn't damaged any of my faux fur, and I use pretty nice stuff in my costumes. Just hand wash/rinse when you get home until all the playa dust is out, and air dry. Just be nice to it, that is, don't drag is in the dust or use it as a kitchen towel and you should be fine ;)
Thanks Skyote!

I bought myself a wolf one. Yeah, a little indulgent... but I'm worth it! ;)

It's made well with high-quality faux fur. Guess I'll just see how it goes... thanks for the reassurance.
Burning Man: I'm over it.

geekster

Post by geekster » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:13 am

My playa weather forecast is for a greater than 50% chance of dustier than normal and cooler than normal conditions for 2010.

Now this is not to say it will be dusty and cold the entire time but there is a greater chance than average that we will experience a very dusty blow and cold temperatures.

I base that forecast on global weather conditions. We have a basic overall situation much like 1999 and 2008 where we were dropping into a strong La Nina condition after a strong El Nino. This year's conditions are very much like 1999 and 2008. Both of those years saw a big blows and cold conditions over at least a portion of the event.

Be prepared for anything. September 1 2008 saw a high temperature of 66F degrees and a low of 35F. September 4 1999 got down to 28F. We have the same overall weather pattern over the Pacific Ocean this year.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”