Sleep the most Valuable resource on the playa

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Trash

Sleep the most Valuable resource on the playa

Post by Trash » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:43 pm

Dont wake up sleeping people unless you have a strong legitamate reason. Emergencies, work shifts, prior agreements are definite exceptions. Sleep & water are the 2 most important things not to forget on the playa. Sleep the night before you are leaving is most important.

Sunday afternoon I spent 45 minutes moleskinning the worst case of playa foot I have ever seen on a neighbor. During this time they commented on the fact that I am never awake till about noon. I explained that I am a night person. This same person I freely bummed a number of cigarettes to that day and night. They were fully aware that I was up late Sunday night working on breaking down my camp to leave Monday because we spent sometime together at a neighboring camp.

Monday morning around 7 or 8 am they came into my tent and woke me up to bum a cigarette and say good bye. I woke up delerious, insane and completely incapable of returning to sleep. I grabbed my wizard bar (3 prong crow bar used for rebar pulling), went over, screamed, yelled. Some part of me managed not to split the offending indivuals head open and also not put it thru what turned out to be their camp mates car windshield. My car now has a nice huge dent in it, far better than destroying the wrong persons windshield or shedding blood.

Starting an 1100 mile drive on 2-3 hours of sleep is a recipe for disaster. Monday I did almost cause an accident trying to pass a trailer on the route to I80, after which I decided not to try passing anything at all from then on. I spent the drive on Tuesday with a 12 hour serious headache from lack of sleep despite spending a night in a hotel to rest up. I paid for the hotel in return for my travel partner doing the rest of the drive on Tuesday.

All of that could have been avoided by not entering someones tent who is obviously sound asleep.

Hope everyone makes it home ok. Please take care of your feet. Almost all the 1st aid I did was blisters and or playa foot. 1-2 pairs of socks per day & atleast 2 pairs of comfortable shoes.

-Trash

twisty

Post by twisty » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:46 pm

i highly recommend good earplugs to get decent sleep on the playa! there are just too many noises tempting you to be awake.

if you have never used ear plugs, you need to twist the end, hold the end twisted, stick it deep into your ear, and then hold the plug while the twist un-twists inside your ear. that way, they will actually work and won't pop out while sleeping!

Trash

i can sleep just fine thru all the noise

Post by Trash » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:48 pm

I slept fine each and every night till about noon. No ear plugs would have stopped me from waking up from someone entering my tent and waking me up. Megaphones, loud music I am pretty immune to.

Hoopes

Sleep Deprivation

Post by Hoopes » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:44 pm

After having convinced an acquaintance to attend Burning Man for the first time, I was stupid enough to spoil it for him by not seeing to it that he got enough sleep.

We arrived in Reno by plane on Wednesday night, but what with grocery shopping at Winco, a stop at Wal-Mart, and hunting for a decent meal after 11 pm, we didn't get on our way to the Playa until after midnight. The line at the gate and ticket pickup at will-call meant that we didn't pull into our camp until about 3 am. We got set up our tents pretty quickly and tucked in, only to be wakened by wind and that unforgiving Nevada sun. Neither of us slept much during the day on Thursday and I further screwed things up by partying too hard that evening.

My wife was scheduled to arrive in Reno at noon on Friday. Without a ride, I had to drive back there to pick her up. When I woke at 6 am, I was so concerned about the lingering effects of the previous night's indulgences that I woke up my friend to warn him that he might have to come with me to drive. Although I was fine by the time I departed at 9 am (a brisk walk on the Playa, including the complete Labyrinth, worked wonders), I probably deprived my friend of some desperately needed extra hours of sleep by waking him up.

By the time I arrived back from Reno again on Friday afternoon, he was heat stressed and sleep deprived to the point he was ready to go. He left BRC within the hour with a couple who were departing the event and as a result missed both the Saturday and Sunday night burns. In retrospect, he should have come with me to the airport and snoozed in the air-conditioned car, but for whatever reason had elected not to.

My wife also had trouble sleeping. There is no way around the fact that even though I'm comfortable with becoming nocturnal and getting by on 3-4 hours a night, my enjoyment of Burning Man was distinctly diminished by the relative misery of my companions. Next time, we'll pace ourselves and perhaps even go the RV route. Sleep deprivation definitely detracted from our collective enjoyment this year.

Bunnymonkey

Tips & tricks to avoid heat & extend usable sleep ti

Post by Bunnymonkey » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:17 pm

Surprisingly, we found the couple of hours after dinner, before we went out for the night to be a great nap time. Many of the chill spaces on the Esplanade (and Hammock Camp! Thank you, Hammock Camp!) were perfect impromptu 3:59AM catnap spaces. Zipping a space blanket (a thin, silver, reflective sheet of mylar, $3) into the large dawn facing tent window gave us another hour + of cool morning sleep time inside the tent. The silly little tent fan we brought (1 D cell, 18 hours of breeze, $12) made sleeping in the heat much easier as well. Next year I'm considering the building of a morning light break (like a wind break) outside the tent. It would only have to be a few feet high.

chloe_dancer

Post by chloe_dancer » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:36 pm

i slept like 3 hours a night at burning man, and i seemed to survive ok, til the 13 hour drive home...had to stop to cat nap a few times here and there. we camped next to an insaine techno camp, which i cannot even believe i slept thru...its amazing what you can block out when u r exhausted!!!! next time i will bring a shade structute to put over my tent so i can sleep later than god damn 8 am........
i feel there is an angel in me whom i am constantly shocking

Trash

Shade Structure isnt needed for your Tent

Post by Trash » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:33 pm

I found mylar on a plastic backer stays on very well when cut into big sections and then fabric glued to the rain fly of your tent. Did that a long time ago and I can easily sleep till about noon. Cutting the mylar into big sections let the heat leave the tent quite well. A space blanket will not last at all dont bother. That mylar was some werid stuff I found at an industrial surplus place.

Searching for another solution this year I tried painting a crappy storage tent with a white solar reflective roofing paint. It worked about as well as the mylar. The improvements of the paint are the tent & rain fly are not noticeably bulkier, it is cheaper, faster and much easier to apply. When I buy a huge dome like tent I plan on using the paint. Do not use the silver roofing paint, it is slightly more reflective but traps more heat. Changing the color of my water/cooler storage tent to white was a huge improvement over the dark red it was before.

I spend about a month each summer living in tents and find a personal shade structure for my tent just adds another element that can go wrong and more tear down setup work.

On really hot days the heat wil wake you up gradually, then just strip off your clothes and or blankets and go back to sleep.

Also Todd reported that sleeping under the big truck he brought out was amazingly cool.

-Trash

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Best advise: Sleep Alone

Post by robbidobbs » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:33 pm

This year I slept alone and can't recommend it highly enough. Sleep is vital for daily work/play performance, and having someone else's "trip" interrupt your naps and snoozes isn't worth the total cost in mental health. I'll never go back to sharing a bed with another, no matter how snuggly they are. Good night, now go home!

TheMuse

Post by TheMuse » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:03 pm

Our camp was situated a few blocks back from the Esplanade (on Dogma) where we were sure to get plenty of unfettered sleep. Unfortunately we had a techno camp right across the street from us. Even their late night music was ok (this is Burning Man... so you can't really expect totally quiet nights), but on Wednesday night these guys had their music on full blast until 7am! The speakers were pointed out to the street rather than their own dwelling - pointed right at us - which made even earplugs innefective... our whole RV was vibrating. The worst part was that when someone when over to complain, NO ONE WAS EVEN THERE ENJOYING THE MUSIC... their dome was completely empty!

But the good news is that my other neighbors were to DPW workers who had to get up early every morning for shifts at the Ranch. After one night of this nonsense they weren't about to deal with another. For some unknow reason :twisted: the techno never played again. I felt a little bad because it was obvious they had put a lot of $ into their system and no one would have minded their music up until 3am or something.

Camps like that should really apply to be closer to the Esplanade I think.

Douglas

Post by Douglas » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:38 am

I agree its best to never intentially disturb a sleeping person. With all the noise, heat, and celebration it can be really hard to return to sleep interupted. My neibhors at Valhala camp had a really loud generator in the back of a truck some 20 feet from my tent. Fortunately they played the techno so loud I didn't much notice the noise of the generator. On Wednesday morning aroung 4 AM, I finally got up to wander out to the potties, and stayed up for the following 40 hours, had a blast! and I turn 40 this year. When I did lay down I passed out. untouched by any ambient sounds. Next year I will make a special effort not to pitch my home to close to a sound system. And if sleep ever does elude me, I'll just hoist myself into my shoes, and enjoy another sunrise in black rock city, where the party never stops, and there is always someone to talk with. This was my first, for sure not my last burning man, key word for next year, be even more interactive! love to everyone Douglas

Catblack

Post by Catblack » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:10 am

You know, I kept posing the riddle to people all week on the playa --

What's the most precious thing on the playa?"

drumroll please....

MORNING SHADE!

Lots of people didn't get it. I for one, have always TRIED to put my tent in some morning shade, but didn't succeed. I'd wake up at 2pm, dehydrated, my sleeping bag soaked from sweat.

TheMuse

Post by TheMuse » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:07 pm

Oh yeah! Morning Shade rules!

Unfortunately, because of the location of our shade structure, we didn't have any shade until 10:30 or so. So we just made sure not to get up before then :D

diane o'thirst

Morning (and nearly all-day) Shade Setup

Post by diane o'thirst » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:26 pm

• Drive in in SUV,
• Explorer II Liftback tent from CampMor on SUV,
• Sleep in SUV back,
• Park with nose to windward (to cut down on dust intrusion),
• Water Closet hut composed of market umbrella with Indian bedspread and shower curtain walls, positioned against right rear wheel well (northeast).

Shade provided is deep and lasts far into the day (sun hits driver's side window around three o'clock). Not only that, my campmates stated that I probably had the securest personal camp there because they couldn't discern the entrance to the domicile. I am going with this basic configuration from now on.
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

the fire elf
Burning Since: 2002

Post by the fire elf » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:22 pm

peak performance... the best foundation for radical self-expression

why be blah?
instantiate vacuous truth

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:58 pm

In 2001 I left the playa late Monday night after being up all day. It ended up being the only time I ever remember hallucinating. I kept seeing giant cows and horses standing sideways in the road, and slamming on the brakes not to hit them... and I hadn't been drinking, and never do any drugs. Knowing you can't get away with staying on the side of the road, I fought to stay awake and sane enough to make it to any place I could pull over and pass out for the night.
In 2007 a friend traveling with me suddenly disappeared in a cloud of dust in my rearview mirror. Turned out he'd been up too long prior to us leaving for home and had fallen asleep at the wheel and veered of the road. Fortunately it was one of those amazing, missed everything by an inch, nothing happened kind of incidents.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

phil

Post by phil » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:02 pm

> I kept seeing giant cows and horses standing sideways in the road

Those aren't hallucinations.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Re: Morning (and nearly all-day) Shade Setup

Post by mudpuppy000 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:59 am

[quote="diane o'thirst"]� Drive in in SUV,
� Explorer II Liftback tent from CampMor on SUV,
� Sleep in SUV back,
� Park with nose to windward (to cut down on dust intrusion),
� Water Closet hut composed of market umbrella with Indian bedspread and shower curtain walls, positioned against right rear wheel well (northeast).

Shade provided is deep and lasts far into the day (sun hits driver's side window around three o'clock). Not only that, my campmates stated that I probably had the securest personal camp there because they couldn't discern the entrance to the domicile. I am going with this basic configuration from now on.[/quote]

I slept in the back of my Xterra all week, and it was fantastic. I don't quite get the point of the liftback tent though, why not just sleep with the door closed? No dust will get in and it'll be much quieter. Only thing I need to do is add some more insulation/shade to keep it cool when the sun comes up.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:09 am

I had no problem sleeping at all when i was out there. On the 2:00 side, at a large scale sound camp. No ear plugs + nice hard shade = slept like a baby each and every night.

Of course, i slept even better when i got to snuggle up with that cute girl :D

I would stay up all night till i could tell the sun was about to peak over the mountains then hit the bed, asleep before the sun was up.

I have no idea how long i would sleep for though, it would be hot when i would wake up...but my shade took care of my tent just fine, and it felt like i got a full nights rest
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

epic_elite

Post by epic_elite » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:28 pm

[quote="chloe_dancer"]i slept like 3 hours a night at burning man, and i seemed to survive ok [\quote]

im with you.

i can get a good nights rest on the other 358 days of the year.

but seriously.... it's really hard to get more than 5 hours in. and im not complaining.

most of the time the parties over by 7am and I'm up by 10 wondering why it's so freakin' hot.

epic_elite

Post by epic_elite » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:35 pm

[quote="Captain Goddammit"]In 2001 I left the playa late Monday night after being up all day. It ended up being the only time I ever remember hallucinating..[/quote]

funny. i remember on the way in @07 i drove to meet our camp from pdx to sf then to reno. after 14 hours and 14 energy drinks, driving down the road to gerlach in the middle of the night with the bright white lines reflecting the head lights in the road i felt i was living a vintage monochrome arcade game and i was in pole possition.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”