Do you tell people where you're going?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Do you tell people you're going to Burning Man?

Yes.
34%
Yes.
34%
No. They wouldn't understand anyway.
8%
No. They wouldn't understand anyway.
8%
Other (elaborate)
8%
Other (elaborate)
8%

Total votes: 126

Mulligan

Do you tell people where you're going?

Post by Mulligan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Scenario: You blurt out that you're going on vacation. They ask, "where?" What do you say? Do you tell them Burning Man, do you tell them generically camping, family reunion, etc. Do you try to explain what it means?

Feel free to leave comments...

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:31 pm

mostly ill tell people im going to BM

Sometimes just "Northern Nevada"
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:37 pm

All my close friends and family know and are probably sick of me mentioning it, lol. Everyone else I just say I'm going to a big art festival out in the desert.

geekster

Post by geekster » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:07 pm

I tell people I am going to be away for a while. If they want to know where, I tell them.

Of course, certain people have to know. My boss, the folks watching the kids, etc.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:08 pm

I'm in SF- people are either going, planning to go or sick of it. Either way, you take vacation that week everyone assumes you're going to the Burn.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:17 pm

In case you disappear, they know where to start the search.

ConnieH

Post by ConnieH » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:12 pm

If it's someone I don't know very well and I may need to tread carefully with, like a coworker, I generally say I'm going camping in the desert. If they give me a horrified look and ask, "why in the DESERT?" I say because it's fun and challenging, then drop it. Some people I've said that to think for a minute then I see the light bulb go off and they start asking intelligent questions...those ones I tell. Some people I tell straight out because I really don't care if they know or not, or what their reaction might be. My boss knows, but he refers to it around the office as my "vacation in the desert" 8)

We've been asked by several neighbors lately what the heck we are building in the back yard, so I tell them - surprisingly (or maybe not), most of them have heard of BM and have friends who have gone, and there's one neighbor who has been a few times. Those neighbors get invited to the pre-party :)

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:19 pm

Everybody except the guy I'm renting the RV from.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:23 pm

I always hear, "are you going to that thing in Arizona again"? My reply, "yes"!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:26 pm

Heck, I announce at staff meeting that I need wayward art...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:28 pm

Like I can shut up about it.

I did tell my oncologist I was going to a family reunion in 2004. She scheduled brachytherapy instead of traditional radiation so I'd be done (I qualified and she was pushing for it anyway). She figured it out though, she's kinda sharp that way.

much2naughty2

Post by much2naughty2 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:55 pm

I love to tell people where we're going. The shocked look is worth a million bucks. We over whelmed them with info until they get to the point of avoiding us or the topic. Made us promise to not try to get nudie pictures put on the I-net that would ruin their lives.

Two weeks to go and I can hardly sleep or have a moment without plans for BM going through my mind. We've taken three practice trips, one a full week, and one a couple days in the dunes at 106 degrees. I think we're ready.

snake

Post by snake » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:58 pm

i say 'going to burningman! yay!' ...i'm not 'ashamed' of it, i proudly tell them and they usually are interested and have questions.
one the white board where we put annual/sick leave i draw the little bman figure.

existential_renewal
Camp Name: Fun Fur Traders

Post by existential_renewal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:01 pm

I've told most people who know me well enough and some of my co-workers, although the rumor that then started was that I was going on a pilgrimage to the desert to light myself on fire. Which always makes for an interesting conversation starter.

mudpuppy000
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:06 pm

existential_renewal wrote: although the rumor that then started was that I was going on a pilgrimage to the desert to light myself on fire.
Hahahahaha :D

mthyer

Post by mthyer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:44 pm

I can't keep a secret to save my life any more. Not only do I share the information that I'm going. I humm about it while walking the dogs in the morning. Sing about it in the shower. Occasionally I leave little burning men on white boards in conference rooms around the office. :twisted:

Some people wear "Live Strong" bracelets, I think I need a tattoo that reads "Live Weird". And I’m really looking forward to this.

shiznicks1

Post by shiznicks1 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:57 pm

I find out tomorrow if I can get the time off work. They wouldnt understand, so im in my sisters destination wedding that whole week and simply have to make it for my family's sake, fingers crossed it works.
Interloper Camp 2010, come one, come all

dr.placebo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Post by dr.placebo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:10 pm

My family knows, my work knows, my neighbors know, my dog knows, and now you know, too.

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:03 pm

Most of my friends and family know.

My job thinks I am camping in the desert. Not a complete lie. I will camping and its in the desert. The rest is none of their business and I need to keep my job right now.
We break to remind us how to mend.

archeolojust
Camp Name: Bangarang

Post by archeolojust » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:09 pm

I find this hilarious. I'm quicker to tell people I'm going to Burning Man than I am to tell them I'm going to my larp one weekend each month. I typically go with "camping" instead of explaining a larp to someone.

Clar-i-ty
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:20 pm

much2naughty2 wrote:I love to tell people where we're going. The shocked look is worth a million bucks...
It's even better when you tell them you take your kids!

I'll tell anyone who'll listen!
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

Plumeria

Post by Plumeria » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:55 pm

It really depends on who I am talking to. If it is a stranger or an acquaintance, it depends on if I want to explain BM or not. Just last week I was getting a nerve root block injection from my spine doctor (my last one wore off, at least it was now and now while in BRC). Anyway, I told him I was going camping in the desert in Nevada in a few weeks. He said that should be pretty. I said, well, a little dusty, but fun...I am going to BM. He started laughing, told me he as wanted to go for a long time. And, told me to call his nurse to schedule a long appointment for when I get back so I can do my normal check up and give him a report and show him pictures....Go figure! This guy is a highly well known doc up here in Seattle.... :) LOVE IT!
Find out what I am up to: http://plumeriasworld.blogspot.com

2010: Pink Heart Camp

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:48 am

archeolojust wrote:I find this hilarious. I'm quicker to tell people I'm going to Burning Man than I am to tell them I'm going to my larp one weekend each month. I typically go with "camping" instead of explaining a larp to someone.

Ahahahahah larper.

I'd be much more inclined to say Burning man over larping ;)

another good thing to tell yer boss is "I'm going on a self betterment retreat"
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Playa Foot

Post by Playa Foot » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:41 am

Everyone I know is aware that I go to Burning Man. Some wonder why one would want to spend a week with a bunch of hippies out in the desert and think I am a little bit strange. Others wish they could go too and are envious, they are the ones that know I am a little bit strange.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:56 am

Trishntek wrote:Everybody except the guy I'm renting the RV from.
Which is close to what I told a Uhaul dealer when I rented a trailer in 07...
They asked what I needed it for :? and I said to go camping, they asked where? and I said the Black Rock Desert
My guess is they did'nt put two and two together
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:10 am

My friends and family know. This year my sister is coming, my Dad wants to come. But if Me, my dad, and my sister are all in the desert, who is going to feed everyone's pets?

One of my co-workers knows and give me shit, in a fun spirited way.
My bosses know 'I go to the desert' they call it my sabbatical. They know I party have fun, and will still be kinda fried when I come back to work the Wednesday after labor day. Though, everyone gets their Sabbatical around her. My buddy that jokingly gives me shit goes hunting for a week. Another guy goes camping/ATVing for a week. My one boss goes to Vegas for a week. Another packs up her daughter and nieces and drives to a different national monument each time. Around here there not treated as just Vacations either. Its each persons thing one week a year, were everyone else has to know they will be gone for that week, no questions asks. We may poke a little fun, but thats about it.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

kman

Post by kman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:55 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:All my close friends and family know and are probably sick of me mentioning it, lol. Everyone else I just say I'm going to a big art festival out in the desert.
Yup.

Depending on the person, and how much explaining I feel like doing, it's either "I'm going to Burning Man" or "I'm going to spend a week camping at an art festival in the Nevada desert".

Most people who get response #2 wouldn't know what I was talking about if I said Burning Man anyway. And sometimes, people who I tell I'm going to BM, clearly have no clue, so I elaborate with response #2.

Of course, if they're cool peeps, they either already know, or are eager to hear all about it.

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:48 pm

Heh!!! I have no problem telling my work, friends, family, etc where I am going. Last night my boss and I had a wonderful discussion about the event and all of the crazy things that go on. I am fortunate that I work in such a burner friendly environment (I have even done presentations to the staff ;)

Sometimes, I have noticed some people cover their ears & muter "I don't want to know"... But mostly, people are polite and tolerate my ramblings :shock:

C187
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole

Post by C187 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:17 pm

I tell people I'm going off to yell at hippies for a week or so.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:42 pm

My work thinks I am at an anual family reunion in Oregon.

Everyone else knows. They either are going to, have always wanted to go...but haven't yet, or want me to shut the fuck up about burning man.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”