first time

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
lunaazul

first time

Post by lunaazul » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:05 pm

Hello everyone, just wanted to see if any of you guys will help us decide if we should go to burning man, at first we were very happy to go because there was a 3rd person going and he was experienced, now its down to just the 2 of us (2 girls) and never been in a desert and also have no experience in the outdoor world, :( we really want to go, but i am concerned about safety and other issues that might arise over there. specially being on our own. can someone reply and tell me what to expect, and how we can be better prepared for the experience?
what should we do? i think will will be an awesome experience.

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:08 pm

Don't do it.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Homiesinheaven
Burning Since: 2008

Post by Homiesinheaven » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:08 pm

if you read this cover to cover you will have your answer:

http://www.burningman.com/media/doc/pre ... _guide.pdf

phil

Post by phil » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:13 pm

What preparations have you made so far?

It's hard to give you any meaningful advice (other than wait till next year) without knowing whether you have tickets, whether you have tents, shade, food, water, etc.

If you've read the BMOrg survival guide, you'll have some information - have you read that?

Everybody goes for the first time. Having camping experience is a plus, but Burning Man is not really a camping-type event.

Tell more about your current plans, gear, food, and such. What are your plans for meals?

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:15 pm

I agree. Don't go.

Most people actually hate it.

You have to be a special breed of freak to enjoy one of the most hostile environments on this earth.

You are not ready.

You appear to be clueless.

Go get yourself an Alaia outfit instead.

Token

Post by Token » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:23 pm

Oh, and BTW, for everyone else reading this:

Never, ever discourage two possibly hot chicks (or guys for that matter, thinking of Eric), clueless as they may be, from attending Burning Man.

I mean it!

Never, ever, ever to infinity ever!

As you were.

mthyer

Post by mthyer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:29 pm

The “awesome experienceâ€

robrob
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Love Drippins

Post by robrob » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:30 pm

if only someone had invited you to a local event called "newbie night" where a couple of experience burners/rangers gave a detailed overview and answered ~20 virgin burners questions...

Oh, wait. n/m

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:13 pm

phil wrote:without knowing whether you have tickets,
Is there an issue I'm not aware of re: buying tickets and picking up at Will Call? Website says they are availble until the 27th.

TIA

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Don't do it.
Moderator request: In the Q&A forum, please try to give a serious or solid answer before a snarky one. I realize that may have been serious, but we've striving for helpful answers first. Thanks.

This goes for everyone, not just JS....

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:25 pm

Sic Pup wrote:
phil wrote:without knowing whether you have tickets,
Is there an issue I'm not aware of re: buying tickets and picking up at Will Call? Website says they are availble until the 27th.

TIA
No issue, just wondering if they've taken a preliminary step: purchase a ticket.

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:39 pm

Serious answer. There is a lot to plan for several days living in the Black Rock Desert. There is just over two weeks to go for the start of the week. Do YOU feel that you have the ability to plan everything for survival, travel and logistics involved in pulling this off? Some people can pull this off easier that others, and only you and your friend can decide.

Also, part of this is determination on your part. If you really, really, really want to do this, you can make it happen. If it just sounds like a fun party that you want to go to, then I would suggest some heavy duty planning and go in 2011.

I hope this helps!

Bling

Post by Bling » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:21 pm

We're virgins and could not have possibly done all of our planning in 2 weeks. We've been getting things ready since about December--9 months!

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:36 pm

Bling wrote:We're virgins and could not have possibly done all of our planning in 2 weeks. We've been getting things ready since about December--9 months!
That's about right. I've been getting ready since last septmber and still not ready! If your a first timer, going on the cheap, it can be done.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Bling

Post by Bling » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:40 pm

I think it could be done if you'd been many times before, knew what you were doing, and already had what you needed, other than food & water. IMHO, it would be REALLY hard to do as newbies.

Also, we've been reenacting (so, primitive camping) for 11 years. These ladies don't camp.

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:55 pm

Been going since 1999, and it can be done...if you read the required reading. Most people just glance at it. Yes it is best to plan wayyy in advance! But what they lack in camping skills, they'll learn...their first night at BM.

portaplaya

It's not that hard

Post by portaplaya » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:01 am

I know that it's really easy to worry about the wind and the heat and the hydration and so on.

But hey, at its heart, this is just camping. Camping is not that hard. If you have not camped before, you can practice this weekend somewhere a little easier (like your yard).

You can try the following things before you go, and then imagine that 20% of the time it will be rather windy. That helps to prepare in your head.

Set up your tent. Think about using rebar or something to fight strong gusts or medium on-going wind.

Cook a meal on your propane stove. Just to test it out.

If you have a shade structure (recommended for two, required for more than two), set that up in advance too.

And then pack everything back up. Knowing how to do this is 80% of what camping is about. Beyond that, read the Survival Guide. It's got useful tips.

Everyone was a BM virgin at some point. Probably half of them went without an experienced person along. If you really need help at camp, you will have tons of neighbors. If you are still uncomfortable with that, don't go.

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:15 am

AntiM wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:Don't do it.
Moderator request: In the Q&A forum, please try to give a serious or solid answer before a snarky one. I realize that may have been serious, but we've striving for helpful answers first. Thanks.

This goes for everyone, not just JS....
That was dead serious.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:43 am

It's going to be tough but if you're motivated you can do it. Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't done. :)

It's not like they lock you in there or anything either. If it gets unbearable you can just pack up and hit the road.

jpstiffin

less is more

Post by jpstiffin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:46 pm

Go, but don't inhale.

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:54 pm

at its heart, this is just camping. Camping is not that hard.

Uh, no.

As someone who had years and years of camping experience under her belt, surviving and thriving @ Burning Man is a bit more than just "camping."

Otherwise, the survival guide, and a whole lot of threads on Eplaya, wouldn't need to exist - if it were "just camping."

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:56 pm

C.f.M. wrote:at its heart, this is just camping. Camping is not that hard.

Uh, no.

As someone who had years and years of camping experience under her belt, surviving and thriving @ Burning Man is a bit more than just "camping."

Otherwise, the survival guide, and a whole lot of threads on Eplaya, wouldn't need to exist - if it were "just camping."

Cereal, it's camping and techno.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Bling

Post by Bling » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:00 pm

If they don't have tickets, IMHO, they are better off waiting until next year, and using the time to practice and gather up all of the gear they need.

Peacebandchick

Post by Peacebandchick » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:23 am

TomServo wrote:
Bling wrote:We're virgins and could not have possibly done all of our planning in 2 weeks. We've been getting things ready since about December--9 months!
That's about right. I've been getting ready since last septmber and still not ready! If your a first timer, going on the cheap, it can be done.
I am a virgin this year and have been planning since September of last year as well. Even so I still feel a bit behind in gathering my food stuffs, but that's alright as that's what's happening this week. Gathering, not planning. Plannings been going on for a looonngg time now ;)

Bling

Post by Bling » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:10 am

It actually WAS more like September--that's when my friend came back, and I said, they still do Burning Man?!! Cool!! We have to go! :D

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:04 am

Peacebandchick wrote:
TomServo wrote:
I am a virgin this year and have been planning since September of last year as well. Even so I still feel a bit behind in gathering my food stuffs, but that's alright as that's what's happening this week. Gathering, not planning. Plannings been going on for a looonngg time now ;)
We didn't eat half the food we brought, our first year. Don't over pack food stuffs. But still, try to eat!

lunaazul

Post by lunaazul » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:16 am

[quote="Bling"]If they don't have tickets, IMHO, they are better off waiting until next year, and using the time to practice and gather up all of the gear they need.[/quote]
we have tickets!!!!

lunaazul

hank you for responding :) you are nice we are going to plan

Post by lunaazul » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:22 am

[quote="Shambala"]Serious answer. There is a lot to plan for several days living in the Black Rock Desert. There is just over two weeks to go for the start of the week. Do YOU feel that you have the ability to plan everything for survival, travel and logistics involved in pulling this off? Some people can pull this off easier that others, and only you and your friend can decide.

Also, part of this is determination on your part. If you really, really, really want to do this, you can make it happen. If it just sounds like a fun party that you want to go to, then I would suggest some heavy duty planning and go in 2011.

I hope this helps![/quote]

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:44 am

lunaazul wrote:
Bling wrote:If they don't have tickets, IMHO, they are better off waiting until next year, and using the time to practice and gather up all of the gear they need.
we have tickets!!!!
If you have a tent, food, water and something to sleep in, we'll watch your back if you participate with us.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

Bling

Post by Bling » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:56 am

Great idea, Trishntek. Much easier to not try to go it alone...

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”