A few things that worked REALLY well...

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
robrob
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Love Drippins

Post by robrob » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:17 pm

C.f.M. wrote:Oh, and I loved, loved, LOVED my Platypus water bottles.
Never going back to those stupid bladders and hoses again!.
a campmate had a platypus bladder and it spung a leak in his pack. :(

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:25 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:So, what's the name if you use 7-Up?
Smurf UN-piss. Did someone already get it?

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:10 am

robrob wrote:
Never going back to those stupid bladders and hoses again!.
a campmate had a platypus bladder and it spung a leak in his pack. :(

That surprises me. Was it the seams? I was pretty like, "Uh, seriously? A ziplock type closing thingie?" (I am not a scientist.)

I got the bladder first and put it through fairly rigorous "will it break?" exercises - except for poking at it with sharp things. Shook it, tossed it around the house, sat on it, etc. Was impressed at how well it held up.

Due to size and weight, I decided to go with the bottles instead.

My water bottles went through the usual (tossed around camp, sat on, bike rides, etc.) I wore them on my hips, or in a pocket in my night cloak) and held up well. Caps didn't leak or anything.

I bet they'd replace it, they seem like a pretty cool company.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:06 am

Elorrum wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:So, what's the name if you use 7-Up?
Smurf UN-piss. Did someone already get it?
No, I have to admit you mopped the floor with everyone else.*

*Myself included.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

lambert13

Post by lambert13 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:01 am

Never going back to those stupid bladders and hoses again! I kept the Nalgene around the tent, for mixing up Vitalyte, but if I left camp I had at least one of these strapped to my hips, and it was great.
Question for you CFM...

For the bottle you used, how do you drink out of it? If I am correct, it has flexible sides. Does it collapse while trying to drink from it? How was it better than a regular bottle or bladder/hose system?

I am trying to figure out what to get for my water needs and would like to know how well these worked for you.
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:18 am

For the bottle you used, how do you drink out of it?

One had a screw lid. Unscrew it, swaller, screw it back on. The second had the sports bottle type with a cap (that I took a sewing needle to, to attach it with thread). I preferred the straight-up off/on.

If I am correct, it has flexible sides. Does it collapse while trying to drink from it?

Um...not really? Ha ha, I'm trying to remember me drinking! I guess I sort of held it by the handle - like grabbed it by the handle out of my belt then tipped it up with my other hand.

How was it better than a regular bottle or bladder/hose system?

Less weight.

Less bulk. I made a custom belt, with one on each side, so I didn't have to wear a backpack. I had a pocket in my cloak at night, for them.

(I had the bladder and the bottles at home, to compare, before deciding to go with the bottles.)

No sore jaw from sucking on the damn hose.

Easier to tell when I was running low.

No hose to keep up with.

Easy to take with, on the flights.

The problem: damn things somehow didn't make it home :evil: .

robrob
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Love Drippins

Post by robrob » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:41 am

Was it the seams? I was pretty like, "Uh, seriously? A ziplock type closing thingie?"
i just asked him. the bite nipple popped off, and he didn't see it when it happened, nor bring extras. which i guess is more "user error" than catastrophic failure.

my drinking strategy:
1) wide mouth nalgene for water only
2) wide mouth nalgene for "other" beverage
3) army canteen filled with extra water in reserve.
4) cheap plastic lidded mug for bars

i kept all that crap in my bike basket. i usually just used the "other" nalgene for a sundown cocktail, but I still liked having access to an extra widemouth bottle.

Sometimes certain combinations of things + dancing make my stomach uneasy. and you know, leave no trace...

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:56 am

robrob wrote:
Was it the seams? I was pretty like, "Uh, seriously? A ziplock type closing thingie?"
i just asked him. the bite nipple popped off, and he didn't see it when it happened, nor bring extras. which i guess is more "user error" than catastrophic failure.

my drinking strategy:
1) wide mouth nalgene for water only
2) wide mouth nalgene for "other" beverage
3) army canteen filled with extra water in reserve.
4) cheap plastic lidded mug for bars

i kept all that crap in my bike basket. i usually just used the "other" nalgene for a sundown cocktail, but I still liked having access to an extra widemouth bottle.

Yeah, that happened to me last year. I had an Eddie Bauer bladder, the seal ring thingie fell off or whatever, at the end of the week. Had to borrow an aluminum one. Didn't hold as much water, of course. Was a pain to carry (since it was too big to attach to my belt).

I just have never liked water bottles - esp. wide mouthed. They splash all over me. And, I don't have a basket on my bike (a loaner).

So I have 1L of water on each hip and my lidded cup attached with a carabiner.
Sometimes certain combinations of things + dancing make my stomach uneasy. and you know, leave no trace...
You must have stopped by Herring Camp, for Herring and Cod Liver Oil shots! :twisted:

lambert13

Post by lambert13 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:53 pm

Thanks for the reply! I think I will go check them out sometime soon. Apparently a store near me sells them.
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:06 pm

lambert13 wrote:Thanks for the reply! I think I will go check them out sometime soon. Apparently a store near me sells them.
Anytime - my dream is to have some REI dude read my blog and go, "This woman's amazing! We must hire her to write product reviews!" and then I can travel around and write for a living.

/sigh

They're @ $11. Get one, see how you like it. If nothing else, it can be rolled up into a teensy emergency bottle, in case your hose is the one to go next year. :wink:

The CO
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:43 pm

The Evap Font Mk. II:

This little baby eliminated around 110 gallons of water over the week, as well as providing a lovely water feature for us to enjoy.

The bottom layer has a full skirt of terrycloth for filtering. A separate bucket w/filter and hose was the entry point for all water going into the system. A filter box around the pump, plus the in-pump filter meant no problems of pump failure.

The top two tiers are pie pans, holding about a gallon between the two of them, allowing it to continue working for up to an hour even if the pump is off. The terrycloth on each tier also acts a particulate matter trap, and continues to wick moisture without the pump operating.

Next years version will be taller, 6-8 tiers, with some fire I think.

Questions & suggestions welcome, answers provided.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Wow. I'm sorry I missed that. It would have been an honor to bring a couple of gallons to be evaped in that. (Tell Red I'm so sorry to have missed the chance.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”