1st timer any abody want to help me out!!!

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Kyle_Vendetta

1st timer any abody want to help me out!!!

Post by Kyle_Vendetta » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:56 pm

next year 2011 going to be my first year going to burning man. im really excited about it. ive been to camp outs,music festivals and massives. can some one give me some ideas on what to bring like different clothes,supplies and anything else i may need thanks
*Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if you die today!!!

Lord Of Ruin
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Lord Of Ruin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:00 pm

This is really, really early to start...most people are still in their post playa funk/cleaning.

Read the Survival Guide on the Burningman.com website. Google Burningman packing list and you'll get some ideas.

Your first few decisions will weigh on the others: Will you be in a tent or an RV/Trailer? Next, will you belong to a theme camp or not?

You can join some theme camps for a small fee and get to be part of a community and this can help a first timer out.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

Bling

Post by Bling » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Read the sticky threads in this forum. You'll learn most of what you need, along with the survival guide. Read first, THEN ask.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:39 pm

Hey Kyle,

Here is the survival guide everyone's talking about. I found it by searching for the words "survival guide" on the burning man home page:

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... index.html

Bookmark it. It is truly required reading. 11 new links & 11 old categories, all of it awesome. Click to download 1 of 2 PDf versions there, or just use the links.

(Then, branch out into the blue margin of links on the right side of that page, if you see something compelling.)

When you buy your ticket from the site, they will send you a brand new Survival Guide to the address you ship your ticket to (after your ticket arrives) but most of the info will be the same.

Read everything you can there & here, start saving money every month if necessary, start making a packing list and shopping list whenever you like, & google Burning Man camps and decompression events in your area and start making friends there. You do not need to camp with an established camp/theme at all (independence can be fantastic, especially if you have your own vehicle and can set up a solid wind-worthy shade structure), but it can help. And remember that people get pretty snarky on ePlaya, but THE Playa itself is very different.

It's not too early to start planning; it's just that everyone's tired. :)

Kyle_Vendetta

Post by Kyle_Vendetta » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:14 pm

thank you savannah been reading it im going to keep reading it every couple months too haha. i have alot of friends going out there too and they been there before so that should help me out.

cahlm
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Geodesia

Post by cahlm » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:38 pm

It is pretty early, but every year as soon as I get back I'm already scheming (sp?) for next year. Start saving money, you're gonna need it. :)

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:27 pm

check out the civilized explorer.
I was lucky to meet the civilized explorers, Phil and Louise, and express my gratitude for their voluminous site ... you can pass some time there and learn a great deal.

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:40 pm

...and so, it starts.

8)
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

LyraS

Post by LyraS » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:46 am

Kyle, I would actually recommend that you don't go with a huge theme camp your first year -- it's a wonderful thing to wander around and get a sense of what Burning Man is (for you) first. Having said that, it definitely helps to have some friends (off-playa OR new friends) around, especially if you all want to set up a few shared resources.

Happy planning!
"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living" -- Miriam Beard

phil

Post by phil » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:50 pm

Elorrum wrote:check out the civilized explorer.
I was lucky to meet the civilized explorers, Phil and Louise, and express my gratitude for their voluminous site ... you can pass some time there and learn a great deal.
Always our pleasure, I assure you. :->

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:08 am

Massif?

Or like the Massive McMuffin?

Or the bbc3 series?

Kyle_Vendetta

Post by Kyle_Vendetta » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:44 pm

Yea i dont think im going with a theme camp i have alot of close friends that go out there and gotten alot of offers to camp with them so i think im good on that. thanks everybody for helping i know its far away but i just want to make it the best time i can.saving money and making alist of supplies to bring and going to start making some outfits cant wait!!

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:04 pm

Gather what info you can....and try it out on the playa 4th of July weekend. Should be a couple thousand of us there......near the frog pond.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Kyle_Vendetta

Post by Kyle_Vendetta » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:14 pm

Tomservo said:

Gather what info you can....and try it out on the playa 4th of July weekend. Should be a couple thousand of us there......near the frog pond

what is it?

Kyle_Vendetta

Post by Kyle_Vendetta » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:19 pm

TomServo wrote:Gather what info you can....and try it out on the playa 4th of July weekend. Should be a couple thousand of us there......near the frog pond.

what is this?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:20 pm

Frog pond is a former cattle watering hole on the edge of the playa.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Kyle_Vendetta

Post by Kyle_Vendetta » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:22 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Frog pond is a former cattle watering hole on the edge of the playa.

yea but what happens there on the 4th of july weekend?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:23 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Kyle_Vendetta

Post by Kyle_Vendetta » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:24 pm

ok thanks

Kyle_Vendetta

Post by Kyle_Vendetta » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:29 pm

I got a question what the best kinda clothes to bring for the day time and the night time?

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:53 pm

Daytime: Khaki and wingtips

Nighttime: Khaki and wingtips, with lights and a coat

teardropper
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:36 pm

Remember, wingtips are not truly dress shoes. They are more for a business dress. This is good to know on the playa.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:49 am

Kyle_Vendetta wrote:
TomServo wrote:Gather what info you can....and try it out on the playa 4th of July weekend. Should be a couple thousand of us there......near the frog pond.

what is this?
Its a mini burning man of sorts. Camps are scattered around the playa, but tend to stay close to the hot springs. You live in sparks, so you should know what to wear. Light clothing during the day, and warm at night. Forget what they said about wingtips, Oxfords are the shit nowadays!

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:52 am

I think next year I'm bringing jack boots!

phil

Post by phil » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:31 am

TomServo wrote:I think next year I'm bringing jack boots!
You will take your shot and you will enjoy it.

Obligatory link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/civex/2832020336/

Pink Daddy

Post by Pink Daddy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:11 am

Get ahold of your regional contacts, attend a decompression (I think Reno is the closest to you, which is being held on Oct. 16 or 17), interact and participate with the Burning Man culture for the 50 weeks leading up to the event.

Burning Man doesn't start when the gates open, it never ends...
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs377.snc4/46069_461193081927_501436927_6807820_1244164_n.jpg[/img]

Rilopie
Burning Since: 2008

Post by Rilopie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:18 am

Kyle_Vendetta wrote:I got a question what the best kinda clothes to bring for the day time and the night time?
Whatever you are going to be comfortable in! For my bf, that means cargo pants and t-shirts, but for me its fishnet stockings and tutu's. And always, layers layers layers. The daytime can be crazy hot and the night time can be very chilly. it may also help you to look at some burning man photo albums on facebook or whatever for inspiration.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:36 am

I got a question what the best kinda clothes to bring for the day time and the night time?
If I were a man, I'd wear nothing but kilts + boots, or sarongs/long skirts for day. These are frequent sights for a reason--trousers are frequently too warm during the day, and they can chafe (bring Johnson's Cornstarch baby powder with aloe to shake onto a tissue & pat your heinie. I dumped half my supply into a little container for a friend who got heat rash this year). If you're kilt-shy, billowy loose cotton pants or boxers are nice.

You will want to keep your feet clean, covered, & moisturized most of the time, especially before you know how the dust affects your particular skin.

Bring extra socks and underwear. A few more pairs than the days you'll be staying.

You will probably want a little backpack for your canteen, a snack, sunscreen, first aid, a flask, etc.

At night, yeah, you might want pants, a ridiculously warm jacket (hopefully festive), and to swath yourself in battery operated christmas lights or glow necklaces so you don't get mowed down by an art car or speeding bicycle. To be underlit is dangerous. Holding a flashlight is not enough.

Go the burningman.com web site, click "Galleries" (one of the red links at the top) and browse photos to see typical fashions . . . but know that this is one of the few places on earth you can pretty much wear whatever you want, socially speaking, as long as you are also (hopefully) comfortable & protected.

Oh yeah, protection: snug goggles, ideally in clear and dark lenses (for night & day storms), dark shades, cowboy or boonie hat, bandannas and/or dust masks for your face.

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:08 am

Kyle, its never to early to start planning and there is no such thing as over prepared.

Yes to read the survival guide. When you're done reading it, read it some more.

To address your two first points:
1. Clothing. Costumes are fun, but you need to plan for conditions first. We ran the gamut this year of weather. We had temps in the 30's at night, rain, highs in the mid 90's, a couple of good white outs, etc.

Before stuffing that suitcase full of costumes, stuff it full of clothing that will keep you comfortable in a full range of conditions. Best advice I can give for cold weather, start shopping now in thrift stores for a set of insulated mechanic coveralls. Easy to pack, easy to pull out and put on over your clothes, easy to add patches and decorations to and a life saver if the temps plunge like they did this year.

2. Supplies. Well, that's a wide range. Basics, stuff like chapstick, heavy moisturizing lotions for feet and hands, big shower wipes, extra batteries, etc. There's a lot to consider and the more you read, the more you'll be able to draw from the experience of others.

In terms of lighting yourself up, start shopping now for battery powered led light strings, blinkies, etc. An led light string is easily sewn onto a camel back and provides you night time illumination front and back.
http://www.dealextreme.com/ is a great source for all kinds of lighting options.

Glow stuff is fun but doesn't last and winds up being moop or just that much more trash to haul out at the end.

Kyle_Vendetta

Post by Kyle_Vendetta » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:12 pm

ok thanks everybody for all the help i really appreciate it alot and anything else you think i may need to know let me know i want all the knowledge on burning man i can get to make this the best time.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”