first time rookie questions

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
lowteck

first time rookie questions

Post by lowteck » Thu May 27, 2004 6:53 pm

I have my ticket, I have my flight and car reserved ,and I am ready to experience my FIRST Burning Man! I am aware that I can drive into Black Rock City

Vehicles Allowed to Drive in Black Rock City:

"All motorized vehicles must remain parked and stationary for the duration of the Burning Man event"

Can I camp next to the vehicle? can I use this vehicle as a wind screen and to store my more precious belongings in? This would be a great asset as trying to keep things secure in a tent alone sounds difficult at best.

Also I read that you should have 1.5 gallons of water/day for drinking cooking etc is that enough?

What can I possibly bring to swap with others I am not an artists in the least. I hope to go and get a few hundred pictures to bring home with my camera but bringing home a piece of art would be cool also

One last ? I promise the last. I am assuming I could be naked :shock: the entire stay there with the exception of the cool nights or perhaps the blazing mid days is this correct?

Thanks for any replies in advance
JB
St Paul MN

angrykittie25

Post by angrykittie25 » Thu May 27, 2004 7:05 pm

To answer your questions:

Camping next to your car: Yes as long as you are not in the "low-density camping area.
From Burning man main site
The area on the backside of the city will be reserved for those that wish to leave their car and portage belongings away from the outside road. This vehicle-free area will by default become low-density. Cars will be left in a parking area nearby. No moving vehicles will be allowed in this area.
Water: The main site recomends 1.5 to 2 gallons of water a day for drinking. If you are planning on showering or washing dishes ect. you should plan on more. Someone else would have to help you on that one as I have not been yet.

Naked: You can be naked as much as you want. From what I have heard, the nights and early mornings get chilly, and it can get quite hot mid day. It just depends on what your tolerance to temperature is.

Disclaimer: I have not been to burning man, and planned on going this year, but it looks like that's not happening. All of the above is what I have heard from participants or the main site. I am sure there are plenty of people that can help give you more indepth information.

stuart

Post by stuart » Thu May 27, 2004 7:08 pm

it's fucking cold at night. If you were naked at night you would get hypothermia.

You may camp right beside your vehicle. Try to avoid going in and out of it more than a precious few times or it will get thrashed.

I generally go with 2 gal per day. Better to have extra.

Don't worry overly much about brining extra crap for others. If you are not inspired it's better to leave the moop behind than to go buy a bunch of plastic junk to give out. Bring beer and give it away!!!!! Or, if you have any talents, try performing somewhere.
One thing you could do, if you come with nothing and really want to give back, find a camp who's efforts and results really move you. Offer to go get ice for them. They will love you.

calsur

Sun Screen

Post by calsur » Thu May 27, 2004 11:16 pm

Lowteck,

If you be going naked out on the Playa, at 4000 feet above sea level, invest in sunscreen. Lather up and protect the dangly bits. Also be sure to cover the tops of your feet and under your chin. And get the green jelly made by Solar Cane for sunburn with Aloe Vera. It is not a magic bullet but it will do until one comes along.

Lydia Love

Post by Lydia Love » Thu May 27, 2004 11:36 pm

And don't necessarily plan on coming home with a piece of art. It's possible someone will make a gift to you... but for some artists out there burning their art is a part of the process of creating it.

Also... some of the art is sunwarmed open jugs of mayo.

I'm hopeful that everyone reading this board will be aware that it is UNCOOL to help yourselves to souvenirs without asking. Art theives suck.
It's all about the squirrels.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Fri May 28, 2004 4:45 am

Playa Info in Center Camp hooks up those needing volunteers with those who have time to offer. Great way to meet people building and doing art-type things and not just trading knickknacks. Helps to have work gloves, maybe a hammer and pliers and such too.

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... vices.html
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Volunteering is an art

Post by robbidobbs » Sat May 29, 2004 2:14 pm

Bring water, bring sunscreen, bring shade, and bring an open mind. The community is created and maintained by dedicated people.

I'm not an artist mah-self, but delight in other's art. So I make sure that everyone's excremental experience is a positive one. You can participate in this too by adopting the porta-potty bank near where you eventually live out there. Be creative, be loud, be silly. The people who are waiting in the potty lines will appreciate it, you'll be improving the lives of others, and you'll help with the continued survival of the Event. And boy howdy, people will give you stuff!
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Sun May 30, 2004 2:48 pm

I'm not an artist mah-self...
Sorry, Robbi, you are wrong, you are an artist and I LOVE what you do! Just because you can't hang it in a gallery dosen't mean it's not art.

missmann

Post by missmann » Mon May 31, 2004 9:48 am

Lydia Love wrote: Also... some of the art is sunwarmed open jugs of mayo.
If you love mayo and someone gifts you one of these precious gems, don't dismay!!
Grossly enough, you could still eat it.
Yep, Mr. Hellman puts enough chemical crap into his mayo that you could leave it unrefridgerated for 6 weeks and it wouldn't breed food-borne illness. Cheez-whiz and twinkies are on par.
Huzzah for the trivia I never thought I would have a use for!

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon May 31, 2004 8:17 pm

I plan to put a ground tarp under the van. "As suggested." Just going to use a tarp wider than the van. That way the extra can be brought up the far side to make a wind break, anchored by the van. Every little bit helps
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Gizmo

Post by Gizmo » Mon May 31, 2004 9:13 pm

quote]What can I possibly bring to swap with others I am not an artists in the least. I hope to go and get a few hundred pictures to bring home with my camera but bringing home a piece of art would be cool also

Instead of bringing things to "swap".
bring things to give away. Give away something useful, like light sticks, blinky lights, chapstick, beer, etc. Get the email addresses of people you photograph and send them photos. Many burners spend so much time on their costumes and projects that they neglect to take photos. Come with the attitude of giving things away and you will get so much in return.

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon May 31, 2004 10:59 pm

What can I possibly bring to swap with others I am not an artists in the least.
Sure wish folks in general could/would get away from the idea that giving something away is a prerequisite to participating at the event.

I think one of the better things one can give is permission to yourself to not be beholden to what others think you should do, how you should interact or what you should give away.
Desert dogs drink deep.

stuart

Post by stuart » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:01 am

word yo!

missmann

another rookie question

Post by missmann » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:53 am

how hard is it to drive rebar down into the playa?

I have managed to find some giant rebar "staples". Prongs are about a foot long (maybe a little longer) and the top is flat (just like a staple)- i think this would be a lot safer than having large pokies of metal jutting from the ground, but i need to know how likely it'll be that i'll be able to drive them down far enought to be flush with the ground. Thoughts?

missmann

another rookie question

Post by missmann » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:55 am

how hard is it to drive rebar down into the playa?

I have managed to find some giant rebar "staples". Prongs are about a foot long (maybe a little longer) and the top is flat (just like a staple)- i think this would be a lot safer than having large pokies of metal jutting from the ground, but i need to know how likely it'll be that i'll be able to drive them down far enought to be flush with the ground. Thoughts?

Cooky

Driving Rebar

Post by Cooky » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:22 am

As long as you have a decent sledge hammer I've never found it hard to drive rebar stakes into the playa. It can be more of a challenge to pull them; that's when a little twisting with the vise grips comes in handy to loosen them.
Cooky

DangerMouse
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Bacon Lube - The 8th Food Group

Post by DangerMouse » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:40 am

Per everything I've read, specially Bob's terrific site of strucural goodness, you want a rebar stake that is at least 2 feet long. Pulling it back out is supposed to be the trick though...

PurpleKoosh
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Re: another rookie question

Post by PurpleKoosh » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:07 pm

missmann wrote:how hard is it to drive rebar down into the playa?

You should be fine. The wrought-iron stakes my boyfriend got (at a renfaire a couple years ago) are about that same length, and getting them flush (or almost flush) usually isn't too difficult. And with the shape you describe, pulling them should be reasonably simple, too - bring a crowbar and find a small block of wood or something to use as a fulcrum, and you should have enough leverage to just pop 'em right up.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.

naken

Naked

Post by naken » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:51 pm

I suggest you try a casual approach,I;ve met more people an participated mor freely with shorts on them when iam cloths free.It appears to be more easily to be excepted by fabric bound burners if you do shorts first to be neighborly,then move into open cloths free,youll be surprized at your abillity to not only feel your freedom but really connect with fabric bound burners,some of the best burners i;ve met are not naked prone an its good,its a free choice event .Enjoy yourself

'stine

just a thought

Post by 'stine » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:19 pm

I like the idea that participating is your present to give to others. If you really want to help out..this coming from a first time burner this year who has been reading everything she can on the ePlaya.... practical things seem to be most appreciated - give things like extra pairs of sunglasses, small tubes of lip sunblock, water shot out of your handy squirt gun, moisturizer that comes with a free foot massage, donations to camps that have themes (like Barbie Death camp or the camp that needs fake flowers or stocks staple items for forgetful burners....) you get the drift.

I'll probably also bring several dozen homemade molasses or oatmeal-orange-raisin-pecan cookies to hand out as I bike around and visit other camps.

'stine

PurpleKoosh

Re: just a thought

Post by PurpleKoosh » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:57 pm

'stine wrote:...water shot out of your handy squirt gun....
But please, and I can't stress this enough:

ASK FIRST!!!!!!!

I got dosed at a Dead show like that once...chemical enhancement should be by choice, damnit.
[/b]

'stine

Just H20

Post by 'stine » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:40 pm

I was talking strictly water in the squirt guns. Sounds like you're referring to trendy chemical amusements or icy hot or drugs. I do not support chemical trespassing in any form.

DangerMouse
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Bacon Lube - The 8th Food Group

Re: Just H20

Post by DangerMouse » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:59 pm

'stine wrote:I was talking strictly water in the squirt guns. Sounds like you're referring to trendy chemical amusements or icy hot or drugs. I do not support chemical trespassing in any form.
That's really not the point. It's the fact that others in the past have allegedly or not so allegedly dosed people on the playa without prior warning. Call it a BRC social Faux Paus if you will around people concerned for their wellbeing. Best to ask someone first.

Moving on the the legendary cow that shoots doses out of its udders...

PurpleKoosh

Post by PurpleKoosh » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:12 pm

DangerMouse wrote:
'stine wrote:I was talking strictly water in the squirt guns. Sounds like you're referring to trendy chemical amusements or icy hot or drugs. I do not support chemical trespassing in any form.
That's really not the point. It's the fact that others in the past have allegedly or not so allegedly dosed people on the playa without prior warning.
*noddage* As I said, this was at a Dead show, rather than on-playa - someone walking past me gave me a healthy spritz with what I thought was an ordinary squirt bottle. I was lucky none of it got into my eyes....

But BRC doesn't appear to be immune to the ten-percent rule (10% of the people cause 90% of the problems; the corollary, of course, is that 10% of the people do 90% of the work), so some of us tend to get a little jumpy around squirt bottles/SuperSoakers/etc. Err on the side of caution and ask first.

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:31 pm

Some aversion has nothing to do with dosing--for example, due to a traumatic incident as a small child, I hate to have water splashed on my face. Now I know most people probably won't be aiming to squit you in the face, but you move or they move or have bad aim or... you get the picture.
Also, I don't think I'd want someone to spray water at me and douse a costume that I'd worked really hard on. Yes, it is "just" water, but plain water will stain a lot of satin-type fabric and leave ugly, permanent bloches.

All this aside, I generally enjoy being squirted or misted with water and will often partake if asked. I don't think it's out of line that, just like a stranger who wants to hug you, or take your pciture, ask first. I think it's just common courtesy.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:48 pm

A splash of water could sound good too some folks. i on the other hand don't want that extra playa dust that comes after water.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Lorgasm

Post by Lorgasm » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:43 pm

Two words for you, Rookie...

LIP BALM

Much Love,
Lorgasm
BOOBIES!!!

Icepack

Post by Icepack » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:28 pm

DangerMouse wrote:
That's really not the point. It's the fact that others in the past have allegedly or not so allegedly dosed people on the playa without prior warning. Call it a BRC social Faux Paus if you will around people concerned for their wellbeing. Best to ask someone first.

Moving on the the legendary cow that shoots doses out of its udders...
I went to Ranger training last year, and they said very specifically do not allow yourself to be squirted by water from a squirt gun. It has happened where Rangers on shift got dosed this way. They also said don't eat or drink anything offered to you by others. You can take the gift, but save it for after shift is over and partake of it then. Unless you prepare it yourself, you really never know what you are getting.

'stine

good feedback

Post by 'stine » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:45 pm

WOW - thanks for the great feedback on the topic of water guns. I didn't realize there were so many possible sensitivities around them. I guess my mom raised me right (i.e. good manners) because I wouldn't think to squirt a friend in the face or possibly ruin their costume with water. And to squirt a stranger without permission?....well, that kinda thing can get you shot dead down here so that never entered my mind either. That practical point concerning the sqirted water collecting dust where it lands also very enlightening.

Perhaps it might help the new burners and the thoughtless old burners to have a web page listing proper etiquette/reminders/cautions (and explanations as to reason for said listing) or a list in the Survival package that gets sent out to every one.

Thanks!
'stine the humble grateful grasshopper :-)

naken

Stine-participation

Post by naken » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:35 am

I believe your ideas are very good,now if i can just find you before you run out of cookies.Enjoy yourself,Naken

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”