Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
everythingis0dd

Virgin Gifting

Post by everythingis0dd » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:47 pm

As a virgin I have many questions-
but to start:
WHAT DO I GIFT?
:)
what are some of your favorite gifts from years past?
It starts where you are.

LLQchasm

Re: Virgin Gifting

Post by LLQchasm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:56 pm

everythingis0dd wrote:As a virgin I have many questions-
but to start:
WHAT DO I GIFT?
Yourself. We need virgin sacrifices to appease the gods of the burning man on the night of the burn.

JStep
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Virgin Gifting

Post by JStep » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:57 pm

everythingis0dd wrote:As a virgin I have many questions-
but to start:
WHAT DO I GIFT?
what are some of your favorite gifts from years past?
Damn, here I thought you were gifting virgins.... where do I get mine? :P

Speaking as a fellow virgin, I decided on gifting my art. I'm doing screen prints on what-have-you and might decide to do some stickers.

I think the guidelines are few; gift something that means something or has some kind of value (not just cheap crap you can buy a bunch of - no one wants your mardi-gras beads), don't feel like you have to gift something to everyone you meet, a gift doesn't have to be a tangible thing but a smile, a hug,a kind word, some help with a project or whatever can all be gifts. I think being a virgin who thinks ahead to consider "What will I gift" is enough to impress a lot of long time burners. If you can come up with something, great. If nothing tangible comes to mind, maybe consider gifting trash bags which you can fill with MOOP throughout the week, or a helping hand to your neighbors every day, or some oil for a needy bike chain or two...

Vague, I know, hope it helps. I haven't been yet but I get the impression that a willingness to give and help is probably a step above many virgin burners.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com

everythingis0dd

Post by everythingis0dd » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:03 pm

Haha don't sacrifice me!
&
Thank you JStep! I will sure help however I can, I usually prefer showing love through actions anyhow. And I am a good cook!
I am also an artist of many sorts and am sure something will come too me!
Can I have a sticker?
It starts where you are.

JStep

Post by JStep » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:07 pm

everythingis0dd wrote:Haha don't sacrifice me!
&
Thank you JStep! I will sure help however I can, I usually prefer showing love through actions anyhow. And I am a good cook!
Can I have a sticker?
If I make some, and you can find me, absolutely! I plan to attend the ePlaya MnG if I can remember when/where it is.
~JStep

LLQchasm

Post by LLQchasm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:12 pm

Wait, that's next year when the temple Teotihuacan dedicated to the birth of the Sun brings renewal, but then you won't be a virgin anymore... oh well.

everythingis0dd

Post by everythingis0dd » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:20 pm

You're right! I won't be any kind of virgin! :wink:
It starts where you are.

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:22 pm

This is the eternal question, and I am really glad that you asked it.
Let me try.

Last year I gifted a package of tissues to a woman with a bloody nose. I helped get a person's chain back on their bike. I gave some tent stakes. I loaned a tent to someone who didn't get theirs delivered yet. I gave a small flashlight to someone using a porta potty at night. I passed out a shitload of bike locks to people who forgot theirs.
Chap stick, hand sanitizer, dust masks, flashlights, bandannas, carry light tools with you. Make something with the image of the Man on it. Share some fruit with someone. Bring a few extra mid-afternoon snacks to share. Offer food to neighbors and they will do the same.

Gifting is truly optional. Don't ever feel that you have to pass out gifts to anyone. There is no bartering or exchanging required. Do this freely and don't feel any obligation.

Do not bring any cheap plastic crap. People really don't want junk, and they will just try to dispose of it. My gift to people one year, was to collect all the junk and get rid of it for them.

I think the best thing I gave one year, was to a day tripper in business clothes. He had not a clue what he was up against. I gave him food, water, a bandanna and very specific directions to find his car again. I pointed out landmarks very clearly for him. This was the best gift I could offer this guy.

Stay open and willing to help. That will be the best gift to anyone.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:39 pm

JStep wrote:
&
Can I have a sticker?
If I make some, and you can find me, absolutely! I plan to attend the ePlaya MnG if I can remember when/where it is.
THursday 6 pm at Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro.
If you memorize it now, it will serve you for the next decade.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

JStep

Post by JStep » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:47 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
JStep wrote:
&
Can I have a sticker?
THursday 6 pm at Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro.
If you memorize it now, it will serve you for the next decade.
I suffer from CRS, so I put it in my Outlook calendar. Thanks!
~JStep

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:47 pm

If you get too much cheap plastic crap it can be donated to your local elementary school or retirement home for arts and crafts. When I was in the rehab unit in 07 there was occupational therapy which included bead stringing and the like, so it's possible hospitals would take it as well.
Here in the bay area, we are lucky enough to have two places that will take that sort of stuff and sell it to teachers at a discount, The East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse, in Oakland and SCRAP (Scroungers Resource for Reusable Art Parts) in San Francisco. The thing about that sort of stuff is that it is sort of appealing to humans because it's bright and shiny--even though it's the cheapest made crap you can find--because it's lowest common denominator (why do you think ravers are so entranced by it). So, just because you woke up with some sort of hangover from the stuff it's not inherently useless--there are people who will enjoy it--even make art from it--if you can find them.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:58 pm

Gifting just happens...like Shambala mentioned...ordinary items are often gifted to neighbors. If you want to gift pretty stuff, anything that is less likely to hit the ground...like necklaces or buttons are good.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

sporky420

Post by sporky420 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:03 pm

last fall PDF i gifted out plastic sporks i gathered from various Taco Bells... i decorated each spork with colorful pipe cleaners, i didn't think about them becoming possible moop.. i just figured that people might need a utensil, and they can eat in style if needed...

i was thinking about doing this again on the playa, would this be a horrible idea?
<3 If it doesn't make you feel good, then what's the point? <3

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:20 pm

it seems if you think about it all too hard EVERYTHING is potential moop. someone suggested a home made rubber stamp that you can "brand" people with. that sounds like fun if you have some artistic skills. There is a thread titled something like "best gift you have received" or something like that. Maybe one of the "long time burners" (note NOT old burners) remembers where the heck it is and can link it. most people on it did refer more to the hugs and acts of kindness they received than stuff.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

everythingis0dd

Post by everythingis0dd » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:38 pm

I got a great suggestion from a friend I should have though about earlier, to give away stones and crystals. (I have a thing for stones and crystals)

Thank you for the further explanation of the gifting though you guys! I'm totally down with the shareage <3
It starts where you are.

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:40 pm

tamarakay wrote:it seems if you think about it all too hard EVERYTHING is potential moop. someone suggested a home made rubber stamp that you can "brand" people with. that sounds like fun if you have some artistic skills. There is a thread titled something like "best gift you have received" or something like that. Maybe one of the "long time burners" (note NOT old burners) remembers where the heck it is and can link it. most people on it did refer more to the hugs and acts of kindness they received than stuff.

That too! I got a burning man stamp on my ass, walking back from Camp Arctica.

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:53 pm

Another good idea is to always have a spray can of sunblock with you. You will find people way the hell out on the deep playa who really need some sunblock and don't have it.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:16 pm

From my gifting rant from last years BRC Weekly:
Eric wrote:A gift is something given freely, not expected to be received; an offering of food, booze, massages, conversation, help around the camp, even lip balm or water out by the trash fence. This has been degraded into a requirement like a Christmas or birthday present, a world removed from a real gift, and has led to the mentality of walking into camps and thinking you can take what you want or that you deserve a drink just because the camp has a bar.
You don't have to give gifts.

Really.

Like Sham said- doing something to help someone is often the best gift you can give.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:51 pm

I gift art, but you have to come and get it.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:51 pm

This is my favorite gift thread . . . 4 pages of trading stories about meaningful gifts.

Gifts Given and Received
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=34974

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:46 am

I think a friendly "good morning" and a neighborly wave is really nice. Keep an eye open for someone who may be in need or in distress.

I bring toilet paper tails (rolls with a few good uses left on them) to pass out if needed. Full rolls are too big to carry. Save rolls before they run out and set them aside during the year.

Bring some Sharpie markers to leave at the Temple of Remembrance, so others can leave notes. People forget to bring them and they also get dried out after a while.

What not to bring:

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:45 am

Shambala wrote:This is the eternal question, and I am really glad that you asked it.
Let me try.

Last year I gifted a package of tissues to a woman with a bloody nose. I helped get a person's chain back on their bike. I gave some tent stakes. I loaned a tent to someone who didn't get theirs delivered yet.
Damnit, I went out of my way to hit her in the nose with my football, i popped that guys chain off his bike when he wasnt looking, and was flipping that guys tent over every night for fun..

Thanks for ruining MY burn Shambala, geez.

LittleJack
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hushville

Post by LittleJack » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:24 am

I've given plenty of good practical gifts like flashlights, toilet paper (the small 1-ply camping rolls), lib balm, blinkies, etc. However, my favorite thing to give is music. I often walk around with a manjo, sometimes called a banjolin - basically a mandolin with a banjo head and resonator. If people are doing drudge work, or just hanging out, I'll often ask if they'd like a tune. It's amazing how much joy a simple Irish or old-time tune on a banjo can generate!

My other favorite was 2 years ago when on Saturday I realized I had peanut butter and strawberry jelly, but no bread. Within about 3 minutes I heard on BMIR about a camp 2 blocks away that had 50 loaves of bread and wanted to give some away. I made myself a lovely sandwich, then used the rest of the loaf to make lots of sandwiches, which I put on a plate an offered to fellow Husvillains and friends working center camp sound (for the music stage). Yay comfort food!
--------
I like my coffee like I like my women: strong, earthy and full bodied!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:36 am

I bring toilet paper tails (rolls with a few good uses left on them) to pass out if needed. Full rolls are too big to carry. Save rolls before they run out and set them aside during the year.
Nice. Newbies, please note that saving toilet paper tails to gift only works out well if it's listed as 1-ply. 2-ply will clog up the bathrooms & if enough people do it, we endanger our sanitation contract.

One can also buy Charmin 1-ply camping t.p. in the "travel size" section of drugstores for about $1 each (don't buy it at REI or in the camping section of most stores; they will mark up the same product another 50 cents). I bring 10, carrying 2 in my pack at a time so I always have one to gift and one to use if needed.

¡Niers!

Post by ¡Niers! » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:55 am

I think a good gift idea would be making a bunch of cool stensils and bring some cans of spray paint.
Quick, easy and cool t-shirt printing on the go!
Not just shirts either, tents, pants, MVs, lots of stuff.
I think that's what I'm gonna do this year.

Also, I am gonna find people needing help setting up camps and art as much as I can. It's a great way to make some lasting friends.

Hell, I'll start now.....anyone need a metal fabricator? I won't have much tools on the playa, but I'm great at what I do, and a good problem solver.

LittleJack
Camp Name: Hushville

Post by LittleJack » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:31 am

Savannah wrote: One can also buy Charmin 1-ply camping t.p. in the "travel size" section of drugstores for about $1 each (don't buy it at REI or in the camping section of most stores; they will mark up the same product another 50 cents). I bring 10, carrying 2 in my pack at a time so I always have one to gift and one to use if needed.
These are exactly what I use, carry, and give away. Great gift idea!
--------
I like my coffee like I like my women: strong, earthy and full bodied!

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:58 pm

¡Niers! wrote:I think a good gift idea would be making a bunch of cool stensils and bring some cans of spray paint.

Also, I am gonna find people needing help setting up camps and art as much as I can. It's a great way to make some lasting friends.

Hell, I'll start now.....anyone need a metal fabricator? I won't have much tools on the playa, but I'm great at what I do, and a good problem solver.
That was popular in the East Bay Punk Scene, back in the 90's....Used to spray Tshirts, sweaters, etc.. at Gilman. They sell fabric paint in spray cans now..good idea!

jella
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:29 pm

Oh this is so my favorite thread right now :)

I love absorbing the newbie that gets it vibe. My favorite gift so far is cotton masks spritzed with lavender. I plan to bring lots more this year.
And oh Niers,,,think about overspray :shock: . I recommend bingo dobber paint !
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:43 am

¡Niers! wrote:I think a good gift idea would be making a bunch of cool stensils and bring some cans of spray paint.

Romeo Frankenstein gifted me some excellent paint, stencils and shorts one year to dispense from my Home for Wayward Art. The stencils gummed up pretty quick, so have something to wipe them with. I've been by a couple camps over the years which have stencils and paint set out in a DIY section out on the street. Sometimes a fixed stand to put things in, once a box of loose stencils. Fun! Our bike canopy has wonderful embellishments.

C187
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole

Post by C187 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:58 am

Please for the love of all things holy your deity has done in it's greatness or to make you forget that it really is just another prick. Don't buy, bring, make, distribute, or flatulate any fucking necklaces.

Otherwise give whatever you want to.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”