How to stay warm at Burning Man?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
User avatar
Token
Posts: 3006
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Location: Gold Country, CA

Postby Token » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:49 pm

C.f.M. wrote:Why I eschew "playa coats:"

- stupid expensive
- takes up a lot of space
- heavy and bulky to wear

(I've worn a variety of them at burns and just around, IRL.)


That is why I layer and be sure to have a warm head, hand and feet.

I don't understand threads like this. How to stay warm at Burning Man? Same way you stay warm wherever else.


Bingo!!!

I find my leather motorcycle jacket far superior to the fake fur coats. It's all about the wind most of the time anyway.

Keep the head and hands warm and the rest is easy.

I always have those single use zinc-air packs if needed.

User avatar
VeganChoirGirl
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:54 pm

C187 wrote:
Savannah wrote:I'll be bringing my fleece footie pajamas this year. :D


I better get to see this.


Whole heartedly seconded
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

User avatar
phil
Posts: 2975
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:10 pm
Location: Codgerville

Postby phil » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:50 pm

Image
Squid shirt by Civilized Explorer, on Flickr

Got that squid to keep me warm.

User avatar
teardropper
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.
Location: Oregon

Postby teardropper » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:01 am

Token wrote:I find my leather motorcycle jacket far superior to the fake fur coats. It's all about the wind most of the time anyway.


My leather motorcycle jacket weighs a ton. Would not wear it, except to ride. But it's full of 'armor', so it's really got that Road Warrior thing going.

And, MyDearFriend, that is true., When I wear the fur, real fur,I really don't need much else.

I lived in Northern Minnesota for a while some years back, and people wore fur. We'd go out to the dog sled races on a really cold, blizzardy day and the only folks out there were mushers and sported probably six different kinds of fur for the properties of each. We'd have REI down jackets. It was very interesting. Really glad BM isn't the kind of event where you may be chastised for wearing it.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

User avatar
C.f.M.
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:58 am

teardropper wrote:
Token wrote:I find my leather motorcycle jacket far superior to the fake fur coats. It's all about the wind most of the time anyway.


My leather motorcycle jacket weighs a ton. Would not wear it, except to ride. But it's full of 'armor', so it's really got that Road Warrior thing going.

And, MyDearFriend, that is true., When I wear the fur, real fur,I really don't need much else.

I lived in Northern Minnesota for a while some years back, and people wore fur. We'd go out to the dog sled races on a really cold, blizzardy day and the only folks out there were mushers and sported probably six different kinds of fur for the properties of each. We'd have REI down jackets. It was very interesting. Really glad BM isn't the kind of event where you may be chastised for wearing it.


- My quintessential biker coat wouldn't work because my butt would be cold. However, it would take up insanely less space to pack. I could probably stuff a playa coat into my carry-on with not much room for much else.

Real fur has the hide backing, which is decidely less porous than what faux fur has. It's all about the lining. Which is why so many people recommend simple layering with undershirts and leggings.

Clearly, if you're properly dressed and still cold, you're not drinking enough.

User avatar
FIGJAM
Posts: 9712
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:23 am

I met a guy called Naked Jerry. As far as I could tell, Jerry did'nt bring ANY clothes or shoes to BM. He did have a full length fur coat for when he got chilly. He's been doing this for years. :o
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

User avatar
C.f.M.
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:32 am

FIGJAM wrote:I met a guy called Naked Jerry. As far as I could tell, Jerry did'nt bring ANY clothes or shoes to BM. He did have a full length fur coat for when he got chilly. He's been doing this for years. :o


It's not uncommon to see barely-dressed people in the middle of the night, but drugs have a lot to do with that.

I've been camping in cold, wet conditions (30s, October) and had friends in nothing but their underwear and a playa coat. I expressed concern for their safety and was told, "The E is keeping me warm."

User avatar
FIGJAM
Posts: 9712
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:41 am

I dont think he did drugs. He was part of the group naxt door and lived like that all week.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

User avatar
Clar-i-ty
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:25 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!
Location: Sometimes Here, Sometimes There
Contact:

Postby Clar-i-ty » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:37 am

Token wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:Why I eschew "playa coats:"

- stupid expensive
- takes up a lot of space
- heavy and bulky to wear

(I've worn a variety of them at burns and just around, IRL.)


That is why I layer and be sure to have a warm head, hand and feet.

I don't understand threads like this. How to stay warm at Burning Man? Same way you stay warm wherever else.


Bingo!!!

I find my leather motorcycle jacket far superior to the fake fur coats. It's all about the wind most of the time anyway.

Keep the head and hands warm and the rest is easy.

I always have those single use zinc-air packs if needed.


I actually have a pretty awesome leather trench that I wear in the cold. It's very Mad Max, and I use it year round. Being from the Lay Area I tend to dress in light layers. Of course, I run really hot, so usually a fleece hoodie with a t-shirt are all that's required. I also have a long fleece robe I will occasionally wear at night. Came in handy this last year on those cold, cold nights. [/i]
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

User avatar
C.f.M.
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:07 am

Fleece is my preferred warmth-ensurer. I made a cloak for last year and lined it with polar fleece, and was very warm. I place it inbetween my air mattress and fitted sheet, to insulate against the cold air (in the mattress).

User avatar
lazerfox
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:17 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Postby lazerfox » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:26 am

junglesmacks wrote:If you seriously by this point in your grown, semi-adult life can't figure out how to stay warm outside, then I suggest you A) give your ticket to me now and B) just stay inside and watch Maury re-runs.

OK.. edit time. :)

For a real answer, it's all about the base layer. Spend a little money and get yourself some Patagonia Capilene long underwear.. it's the best $$ you'll ever spend on your own comfort. It's super thin for how warm it is, breathes incredibly, and wicks away moisture. Get some grade 3 I would say for BM. I wore that under just my normal clothes last time and had a fleece sweatshirt with me that I would take on and off and I was perfect temp the whole time. I actually had a grade 2 and 3 top and some nights just wore the 2.. and it's micro thin and I was perfect. Seriously.. don't skimp on the base layer. Get the good stuff and you'll be comfy for years.


I actually found a set of Capilene pants and top on ebay for $45 for both...already got it in the mail and plan on testing out at next months drum circle (was pretty chilly at the first one we attended)

looking forward to being toasty!

User avatar
falk
Posts: 415
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:15 am
Location: Silicon Valley
Contact:

Re: How to stay warm at Burning Man?

Postby falk » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:36 pm

phil wrote:Any tips? Besides this I mean:


I love that little stove. Any chance of getting something like that for less than $1200? I've been shopping around with no luck.

I'd really love something that looks like a retro pot-bellied stove.

Thecatman
Posts: 2844
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:47 pm
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone
Location: Carson City. About 125 miles south of BRC

Postby Thecatman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:42 pm

Image
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Psychocybin420
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Contact:

Postby Psychocybin420 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:31 am

Im buying a snuggie just for burning man!!! I might even fur and el wire it!!!! :D
If cocaine were legal, would they sell it in little packages like Sweet N' Low? Would they call it Sweet N' High?

User avatar
lazerfox
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:17 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Postby lazerfox » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:18 am

Just an insignificant note on the subject of is this thread needed.

Indeed, I knew about layering but without this thread I would have never heard of the right materials to layer with; I would have ended up with thin clothing that made no difference (except when it came to taking up space in my suitcase).

There is a small group of people like myself who:
- grew up in a third world country in the middle of central and south america with low's of about 75.
- have never been skiing.
- have seen snow once (maybe twice) in passing while never actually having to deal with it or the resulting weather.
- have only had the chance to camp in the FL "fall" and "summer" months
- and have spent their entire adult lives in the middle of a state whose low's only reach <45 degrees while they are warm in bed.

I know, I know...we are the minority but we are still out here trying to plan our survival because we are lucky enough to have the means of attending. So even something as insignificant as this can make a HUGE difference in our ability to successfully survive.

Sincere thanks for all the help each one of you provides (even reluctantly).
I will give you hot chocolate if you find me on a cold playa night :D

User avatar
teardropper
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.
Location: Oregon

Postby teardropper » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:38 am

lazerfox wrote: I will give you hot chocolate if you find me on a cold playa night :D


You do exist...

OK, good. Glad you're getting something out of this.

And, of course, I could use the hot chocolate.
\^/

/..\ Furthur


Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests