Question about how many days a Virgin can take? By a Virgin

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Lucidvegas

Question about how many days a Virgin can take? By a Virgin

Post by Lucidvegas » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:42 pm

Hello all. So this is my FIRST burning man. I'm energized with anxiety and excitement and fear as I've been reading eplaya and doing research on questions I have.

I wanted to ask this one directly.

I will have aa small travel trailer (Don't tease me! Least I can fill that bitch up with camp stuff ) and some friends coming with me. I understand and acknowledge the logistics with food, shelter/shade, clothings, water ect ect ect. I've planned a few long festivals and camping trips in my time so I'm no rookie....Plus I'm spending days , and ultimately will be weeks and months on eplaya studying survival issues.

But my questions is more....personal.

I'm wondering if I'm asking for trouble by wanting to go Monday to Sunday (leave monday) ?

Plan B is get there Tuesdays, Leave monday morning.

I know I can do it....I hope my two male roommate can.....and we have a friend who is tagging alone, and she is a cool 120 wet. I don't know her stamina level and it makes me nervous....I like to know my surroundings as to not hamper my experience.!

Exhaustion is a REAL thing, I'm from Vegas, and I understand what miles of walking and dancing can do to you in this climate.

Is it HARD for a person, virgin and veteran to make it the whole 7 days? What about 6 or 5? Thoughts or opinions would be great.

Thanks so much and sorry for the lengthy post.

Gabe
Las Vegas, NV

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:57 pm

I've never entertained that line of thinking before. The week is way too short for many of us. And especially theme camp organizers are there at least 8 or 9 days. It is something we don't want to end.

Seriously though, as long as you hydrate, take care of your feet, don't be an idiot, throw some food down your neck once in awhile, you will have no problems. If you have foot issues, come see me for a most excellent foot wash and treatment. If your feet aren't happy, you will want to leave before the party ends.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

Lucidvegas

Post by Lucidvegas » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:01 pm

I'm gonna cry.

You are right! I want to go all days!

And I do want a foot wash!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:09 pm

I know people who are out there 3 weeks and love it.

I know people who were ready to leave after 2 days.

There is no answer to your question that we can give you, you have to go and find out yourself. As long as your prep-work is done, and it sounds like you're taking care of that, you should be find survival-wise.

How well you do emotionally is something there's no way to know in advance.

One thing to keep in mind- a lot of people who love the event still have a melt-down at some point out there- my first year I had one for about an hour or so. This year I had one for half a day. It was still my best year ever. The heat & the stress & the lack of sleep can hit you in ways you don't expect.

As long as you know it happens to a lot of other people it makes it easier to get through.

Also- when something goes wrong & you can't fix it, memorize the zen mantra "it's Burning Man" (ie- shit happens). Fix what you can, find others to help with what they can, don't worry about the rest.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

Lucidvegas

Post by Lucidvegas » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Meltdown? I'm intrigued. Lol. I'm having fun already lol.

Turnip

Post by Turnip » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:34 pm

I was a virgin for 2009, and the first day was rough, if only because I was exhausted, sick, and the elevation was kicking my ass.

After I was able to get some rest, everything was gravy as far as playa existence went.

I'd just suggest setting up some sort of comfortable sleeping area beyond a sleeping bag on the floor of your tent, and taking time to pack some satisfying meals.

For me, by the middle of the week I would have killed a cow with my bare hands for some actual meat.

And sleeping on the ground not only got old after the first 2 nights, but it took a toll on my hips and accounted for a lot of sleeplessness. And I was 21 years old and "a cool 120 wet."
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:00 am

hi this is one of the questions in my mind too! As i am travelling from the uk (possibly solo possibly with others -see how that works out) i really want to stay the full week (and a few days after to help clear up if i can hack it and still get back to blighty) i fully expect to melt down big time when i'm there (in fact its one of the reasons i'm going i have a lot of baggage to clear out).
eplaya has been re4assuring me that whatever happens i should be ok. As i have found in my past when i can't cope the person i most need to sort me out get me back on my feet pat my back smack my bum and say those magic words "your doing alright mate" then give me a big hug and send me on my merry way ALWAYS turns up (eventually)

still wondering abnout water
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:46 am

This is when good campmates come in. They say, "drink some water" and get your to take a beak, cool off somehow, and feed you or hug you, whatever.

Bad campmates look at you blankly when you keel over and say, "I don't feel good. I really, really, don't feel good". And go back to whatever their smoke-hazed brains were distracted with. I had to beg one of them to go fetch someone to help me. These people are not allowed to camp with me anymore. Just as well, they thought I was being dramatic. Yeah.

Bluemandrew

Post by Bluemandrew » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:53 am

AntiM wrote: I had to beg one of them to go fetch someone to help me. These people are not allowed to camp with me anymore. Just as well, they thought I was being dramatic. Yeah.
Wtf

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:59 am

Bluemandrew wrote:
AntiM wrote: I had to beg one of them to go fetch someone to help me. These people are not allowed to camp with me anymore. Just as well, they thought I was being dramatic. Yeah.
Wtf
Precisely.

teardropper
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:57 am

Eric has hit it square on. Prep, prep, prep. That way the only thing that will happen is the unexpected. And boy, will that happen. But you're on the playa, it's an adventure and there are lot's of people around.

Remember, it's just a week long camping trip--- on the moon.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

mudpuppy000
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:05 am

You can always leave early if it's too much. If you show up mid/late week and have tons of fun you're going to regret missing the first part of the week.

The two burns I've been to I arrived Monday evening and hit the wall around Sunday morning/afternoon, and wanted to go home.

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:21 am

It would make you feel better to have an exit plan for all or part of your group. Just in case someone needs to get the f**k out! It happens.
You can take along an extra car.. or you can hitch a ride back to Reno from the front gate, if it comes to that. But feeling like your stuck at an event sucks & makes things seem worse than they are.

I'm a 5 day gal myself. I arrive early & leave on Sat. before the man burns. I know my limits.
don't forget to floss

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:51 am

Hi Lucid.

It wasn't hard for me to make it the whole week as a virgin. Was my 1st burn my best burn? No, of course not. Didn't bring enough costumes (or warm enough ones for night), my bedding got rained on once & I had to bum a nap in a friend's camper, & I generally didn't know how to maximize my burn. Etc, etc. But it was fantastic. I had packed surprisingly well, I'd camped before, I had zero expectations (because I really didn't know what to expect, not because I'm high-minded. But "no expectations" is a really good idea). Being emotionally resilient by nature helps quite a bit. Having faith in yourself--that you can roll with whatever comes your way--is important. Because you almost always can.

The burn has actually never been long enough for me until last year, when I came in early to do some volunteering. 9 days! That was epic. For once, when it was time to go home, I was (pretty much) ready. It was so nice.

Your group needs to know that there is often a very understandable moment of "what have I done, coming here?" during hour 5 of a 7 hour windstorm. ("This too, shall pass." Tie down your camp extra well, then go meet your neighbors for cocktail hour, or put on your goggles and go dance).

Your newbies should also know that--unless you have air conditioning--you may not be able to sleep past nine due to the heat, so carry a timepiece while you rave and at least consider going to bed at 2am or 3am. (Though catching at least one sunrise is a lovely thing). And you might want to agree to look after one another a bit, without being insulted--remind each other about sunscreen, hydration, eating, napping.

Bring silicone earplugs. (They're enormous; I like ripping one in half.)

If anyone you travel with gets too dehydrated or needs patching up, you can take them to the medical stations at 3 o' clock, 9 o' clock or at about 5:15 and Esplanade. Don't be shy. If they're having a little mental meltdown and want someone experienced, take a friend to "Sanctuary" at the Black Rock Rangers' Center Camp HQ. (There are Ranger outposts at 3 o clock and 9 o clock, but the official counseling is at main HQ.)
Other areas of Ranger responsibility include Sanctuary which is staffed by trained personnel familiar with the nuances of dealing with disoriented, grieving, 'altered' or otherwise mentally/physically exhausted folk who find themselves needing a respite from the many challenges that the event can place on people.
http://rangers.burningman.com/who.shtml

Edana

Post by Edana » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:55 am

Plan for the whole time, but have a back-up plan in case things fall apart. Allow yourself some downtime during the week - time to just chill out at camp and relax. This is the hardest part by far, since there's so much to see and do you'll want to force yourself to keep on going and going. We made sure we were bacvk at camp for dinner, and spent a few hours just sitting around, eating, drinking, relaxing etc before heading out for the evening.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:15 am

You're from Vegas, it's hot and dry down there and it's hot and dry up here. Come and stay the whole week. You'll be fine as long as, you know, you bring all your stuff...

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:38 am

You will do fine. Make efforts to divide camp chores ahead of time to cut down on tension. Tell everybody that camp is a "no-drama" zone. Warn your campmates about the liklihood of meltdowns. Best if we watch one another for early signs of altitude and dehydration and sleep deprivation - often everyone else sees it before you will. Having earplugs is essential for me.

Make friends with some neighbors to have somewhere nearby to escape to when conditions at home gets on your nerves.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:50 am

HALT!

Remember to not get too...

Hungry

Angry

Lonely

Tired
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

peachandpapa
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: At the Oasis

Post by peachandpapa » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:51 am

Definitely have two or three vehicles in case someone needs/wants to go home early. In 2002 a newbie friend of ours wanted to go home early. Thus we had to go early. Huge bummer! Our camp rule is that all newbies bring their own transportation.

Also, a tip I learned from a heli-ski guide: before we even start to set-up camp, we all have 2 asperin, one Gas-X, a vitamin, and never stop drinking water the whole day (and week). The alltitude kills alot of people the first day, especially with the rigors of setting up camp. Just make sure to eat and drink, and drink, and drink, and drink...

Good luck!
Go Forth and Tell the Story...

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:57 am

Definitely have two or three vehicles in case someone needs/wants to go home early. In 2002 a newbie friend of ours wanted to go home early. Thus we had to go early. Huge bummer! Our camp rule is that all newbies bring their own transportation.
That's hardcore. I like it.

I've never had my own vehicle and have empathy for those in the same spot, and so would be content with a newbie knowing that if they want to get out, they can do it . . . but they're dismantling their own tent, and will be flying out of Reno on a flight paid for on their own credit card (so they should have one).

Homiesinheaven
Burning Since: 2008

Re: Question about how many days a Virgin can take? By a Vir

Post by Homiesinheaven » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:43 pm

Lucidvegas wrote:I've planned a few long festivals and camping trips in my time so I'm no rookie....Plus I'm spending days , and ultimately will be weeks and months on eplaya studying survival issues.
then you'll be totally fine. people love to exaggerate on eplaya, it's really not THAT insanely hard. for me, all the pain in the ass preparation warrants being there the whole week. as far as your friends, make sure they know what they're up against and have a back up plan for when someone wants to leave and others dont. as the old adage goes, everyone should be in charge of their own happiness.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:00 pm

You will survive and you will be stronger for having done The Ordeal in teh Desert.

(Kidding, mostly. Just pace yourself and take time to just chill.)

psychoalpha
Camp Name: Camp Anita

Post by psychoalpha » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm

You should be fine. Last year was my first year and, despite having a liiiittle too much fun several nights in a row and spending a few miserable, teary hours on Sunday, I was totally fine. I was mostly ready to leave on Monday, but not chomping at the bit.

Like everyone has said, remember the importance of eating, hydrating, and SLEEPING. It's tempting to do way too much and neglect your basic needs, but that's what will ruin your Burn.

Bexx
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Post by Bexx » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:51 pm

it all depends on you - and the type of person you are. Everyone has a different first time. Last year was mine - but I had spent nearly a year and half of friends telling me *I* had to go. Not in a forceful type of way - these were friends of mine that just got it. They knew I could do it - and I would have a blast.

So I went not really knowing what to expect. We came in on Monday and left around mid-day the next Monday. From the first minute we hit dirt it was as if someone had just turned me on, they flipped a switch. Without having even spent a DAY there, I knew I was home. It was a really fucking strange moment for me. Some part of me that I never knew existed came alive.

I'm told I got the easy first burn since the weather was pretty amazing the whole time.. so I might be in for it this year ;)

Like I said - it all depends on what type of person you are. We had another virgin who just never really got it. From the second day she wanted to go home.

Some things I learned -
Bring more booze - Rum in the case of my camp.

Bring a sleeping bag. My Husband talked me out of it - he thought I would be fine with blankets. OH boy.. there were some cold nights and all I had were 3 fleece blankets an air mattress and jackets.

Bring a pair of slip on shoes for trucking to the potties in the middle of the night. - and for that matter a crate to keep your shoes in OUTSIDE of your tent.

Make your tent your home. Really! sting up some lights - make it a cozy little place where you can have some chill time.

You'll have fun!!! and you will do just fine!
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!

Major Krash
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Major Krash » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:52 pm

...it can take a few days for your body to acclimate to the changes in humidity, altitude, etc. (depending on where you are from). This is doubly so if you party a lot. Things often are rough for those first few days, with all of the stress of packing, travelling, waiting in entry line, setting up camp - a crash (mentally, physically, emotionally or some combo of all three) happens to most at one time or another. Pace yourself, know when to stop and rest (you cannot see and do everything, but you can die). I usually start feeling great about day 2 or 3, and "grizzled" by day 4 or 5. Then the fun starts.

I went for 4 days in 2008, I barely got acclimated and I had to leave. It was horrible (but it was also one of my best years due to the project I worked for)

I also have so far refused to take virgins as passengers for the reasons above. That was how I was brought in (had to drive my own car in case I had to bail). I did almost everything wrong my virgin year - arrived after dawn, spent all of daylight working setting up camp (ignoring my veteran camp-mates advice) and drinking beer, got sun burned, went out at night dancing (and drank more, puking on the Playa somewhere at some point) - left some stuff out and lost it in a windstorm (sorry!). I did not wake up for 24 hours, and was out for at least 2 days (do not know how I avoided the MedTent). I got horrible Playa foot and could barely walk by Friday (Thunderdome also did not help, but was memorable). I "bailed" Sunday before the temple burn...but was hooked. I was so green I thought the city was crescent shaped because it was around an actual lake (and brought swim trunks!)

This is perhaps a cautionary tale....

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:23 pm

The morning I left this year was the best morning, good neighbors kicking back, a nice breakfast and my car was packed, and I was just wishing it would last a few more days. Everyone I was with that morning had gotten into a relaxed groove, the man had burned, they'd done the town right. We all felt pretty satisfied as to our curiosity and explorations, and it was just nice hanging out. We each expressed how easy it was to think of staying longer. I'm looking at this picture and everyone looks genuinely happy.

teardropper
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:53 pm

I want it to be longer. I wanta' come on Friday and leave on Monday after the Temple Burn. That way we'd have a real Friday night instead of Fratboy Friday.

I'm just not quite ready to leave on Monday. I liked the Pulse in Exodus, just a little more time, and the stops were just right. I LIKE that Exodus takes so long. Plus I got to see a butt get branded. In line. Worth every minute.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:56 pm

FIGJAM wrote:HALT!

Remember to not get too...

Hungry

Angry

Lonely

Tired
manOman is this right. I/We use this in camp all the time and use it when others might need some help/alone time. One year in ice line a lady was having a melt down in line about her bla bla camp-mates. My wife asked if she needed some cold chocolate.. :shock: 8) They lady went from 100mph to a mellow 35mph in 30 seconds. why? who cares, but ya never know works...

One year was a rough year having placed my dads ashes in the Temple.. I found a good long book and just chilled for 3 days until I got my groove back. It happens and the BMorg now staff all Medical stations with the right people.. 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Beest

Post by Beest » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:26 pm

If it's getting(or about to get((or might get))) heavy, close your eyes, take several full, deep breaths, and count to ten.

It's kind of hokey, but it works for me.
"'They' need to fix this bike." -unknown
"No, 'they' don't. YOU need to see what can be done to fix it. I will help you if you wish it of me." -Beest, somewhere on Athens, late week, 2010

Trishntek
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:53 pm

We had a camp mate who started to leave camp for nightly shenanigans with only shorts and EL's. No water, no cup, no warm layer of clothing,,, and he was a veteran burner! About three of us intervened to insist he do it right. The next morning, he was grateful and realized his idiotic notions of "dancing to keep warm".

The same guy, after a night of Nitrous, salvia, ecstasy and shrooms,,,, and I know he sucked absinthe out of Superman before he left camp,,,, was, needless to say,,,, unconscious most of the next day. Again we intervened and kept putting gatorade in his hand and not getting out of his face until he drank enough to pee relatively clear (his first one of the day looked like tea). He recovered nicely and was up and ready to party by sundown.

It's always good to have others watch your back.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”