3 Things you were hesitant to do, but did.

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
teardropper
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:52 pm

Oh yeah. I've never really been a person that liked hugging. You don't shake hands at Burning Man.

I even hug people now in Defaultia
\^/
/..\ Furthur

teardropper

Post by teardropper » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:58 pm

Fufa wrote: walkin' around topless
Yeah. Nobody notices.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:04 pm

this is a very reassuring thread. kenman has a touch of social anxiety and i've been a bit overwhelmed at how creative and smart you all are.
please everyone come to the meet & greet, i so want to actually meet you.
Tell him that: Burning Man has been very good for lessening this person's shyness, and that people are (usually) so nice that when you do encounter an asshole there, it's kind of disorienting. Especially if it doesn't happen until several days in. :)

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:08 pm

It takes me a few days to loosen up and it makes me realize how I take for granted a sort of base level of tension in my life. By midweek, I feel like I'm truly myself, the worries drop away, and I'm loving life. My personality tends to the shy side of the dial, but I try not to fret about it. It's o.k. to be quiet, there's so much to listen to. I do my best, and enjoy the fun.

Last year at Burning man I told someone I wanted to do the critical tits ride, but not till another year. She actually said, "let me tell you a story." then she told me how she had moved to New Orleans, and was going for a walk in her new neighborhood, sort of thinking she'd take some pictures, but then thinking she had all the time in the world to take pictures, so she didn't. Then the flood came a short while after that. O.k., this touched me, and made me think about doing the things we are considering right fucking now. Well, I still didn't do the critical tits ride, but just saying.... maybe this year. and all that rot about hesitation. o.k.?

Tamarakay, please do come to the meet and greet! I'm looking forward to meeting you as well.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

teardropper

Post by teardropper » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:24 pm

Yeah, it is hard to jump right into Black Rock City. I only live 200 miles from the playa, but last year I left home on Saturday. Stopped about half way down at the Eagles Nest RV park. They're Burners and the only other people in the park are Burners. Hoped it would put work and stuff a little further away. It probably didn't hurt, and I'll most likely do it again, but BRC is sort of unique. You can leave home, put a little time between you and it, but, jeez... I prepare all year for this, but how do you prepare yourself for BRC?
\^/
/..\ Furthur

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:24 pm

Please do not allow me to get too philosophical and drift,,,, but I find it astounding that so many have such angst among unacquainted. Could the electronic age of communicating be at fault for inhibiting actual face-to-face experience?

To me, it is ALL ABOUT PEOPLE! Humanity in its most basic expression. This is why I do not like the notion of an intranet and texting services on the playa.

I think it is a shame to have such things at one of the last bastions of interpersonal interaction.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:09 am

I personally cannot point to electronic devices or the information age as a cause of any dysfunction. I've always been socially anxious, except around the most cheerful of extroverts (from whom I catch energy). I'd wish my squirreliness away if I could. Instead, I have to hammer it off of me with a chisel. It's slow work. :) And, I think: not so uncommon. I mean, look at all of us. (Even though there is a self-selection for the unnerved just based on the title of this thread! People who were hesitant to try something are the most natural draw.)

While I do make friends in the real world, the internet has been a social saving grace, leading to hundreds of in-person meetings. It also allowed me to keep in contact with the first Burner strangers I ever made friends with (in 2008) by finding them online immediately after the burn. It was uncharacteristic for me. Never would've exchanged numbers. But email addresses? Urls? Sure. Now I have specific people I'm excited to see every year. It's huge.

That said, since my life permits it, I love abandoning phones and the internet for the week of the Burn and being in a place where many people are more outgoing & happy than they normally are, because it happens for me as well, and whatever doesn't come naturally I can make an effort to overcome. It's good practice.

You call your post thread drift, Trishntek? :) This is thread drift.

So, ahem: 3 Things I was Hesitant to Do & Am Glad I Did:

1) Meet & befriend my neighbors, as mentioned
2) Venture out purposefully to socialize or dance during a dust storm rather than hunker down
3) Volunteer (I wasn't that hesitant, but I didn't find a niche 'til recently).

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:41 am

I think nudity is the big thing that I was able to crack. I was able to do this at BM and now have no fear of spending the day wearing only my very comfortable shoes.

Fear of heights on some of the taller art projects and then a trip in a skydiving plane. I was not able to jump there, but did a jump after I got back home. My fear of heights appears to be gone!

Leaving the security of my home/comfort zone. Living in a tent for a week and planning all my supplies and food for the week is a big thing. Prior to attending BM for the first time, my most extreme adventure was staying at a Holiday Inn hotel near some trees.

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:24 am

tamarakay wrote:this is a very reassuring thread. kenman has a touch of social anxiety and i've been a bit overwhelmed at how creative and smart you all are.
please everyone come to the meet & greet, i so want to actually meet you.
+100

Tamara I'm going to look for you as soon as I hit the dust so we can hold hands for a second go "Aaaackkk!!!" and get that over with. :lol:
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:12 am

Trishntek wrote:Please do not allow me to get too philosophical and drift,,,, but I find it astounding that so many have such angst among unacquainted. Could the electronic age of communicating be at fault for inhibiting actual face-to-face experience?

To me, it is ALL ABOUT PEOPLE! Humanity in its most basic expression. This is why I do not like the notion of an intranet and texting services on the playa.

I think it is a shame to have such things at one of the last bastions of interpersonal interaction.
While it's true shyness has always been around, having the escape of cell phones and FB, rather than actual interaction, cannot help - and certainly will foster anxiety in children growing up IMing and texting, rather than talking and learning how to truly communicate.

I've touched often in my blog about my experiences in BRC of talking/trying to talk to strangers, and how I need to stop being scared and blah blah blah, and the comments (E!) are always in agreeing (that they too are shy and hesitant).

Of course, probably because the lovely people who read my blog read it because we have nerdy things and shyness in common, but still. My first year was just awful, largely due in part to feeling more alone and lonely than I ever have in my life, despite my attempts to walk up to people (like I do at regionals)...anyways.

How about you all make #1: bring CFM a cold gin and tonic? That's totally doable.

Bounce530
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:17 am

Nah, I read your blog cause it's the stalker-ish thing to do.

but for my list-

1) I may or may not have ate a small square of paper for the first time

2) I let go of the defualt "Well, I better go back to camp now, it's late" and went exlporing till the sun came up, almost every night.

3) stalked CfM
What other people think about you is none of your business.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:43 am

Bounce530 wrote:Nah, I read your blog cause it's the stalker-ish thing to do.

but for my list-

1) I may or may not have ate a small square of paper for the first time

2) I let go of the defualt "Well, I better go back to camp now, it's late" and went exlporing till the sun came up, almost every night.

3) stalked CfM

seems we'd have seen more of eachother...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:26 am

Now now, boys, save it for Thunderdome.

I did stay up all night - watching the sun rise from atop Altitude Lounge - but I wouldn't do it again. Wasted most of Sunday in bed. Well...ok not TOtally wasted, but um...yeah. Probably wouldn't do it again, intentionally.

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:28 am

Shambala wrote:I think nudity is the big thing that I was able to crack. I was able to do this at BM and now have no fear of spending the day wearing only my very comfortable shoes.

Fear of heights on some of the taller art projects and then a trip in a skydiving plane. I was not able to jump there, but did a jump after I got back home. My fear of heights appears to be gone!

Leaving the security of my home/comfort zone. Living in a tent for a week and planning all my supplies and food for the week is a big thing. Prior to attending BM for the first time, my most extreme adventure was staying at a Holiday Inn hotel near some trees.
I'm not fond of heights either, though somehow jumping out of a plane never gave me any problems. I think because you're so high up it doesn't much matter.

But the army helped me overcome many of these insecurities too...though not in such a pleasurable sort of way as Burning Man.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Fufa

Post by Fufa » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:05 am

teardropper wrote:
Yeah. Nobody notices.
Yeah, once I realized that I was completely fine! Though my neighbours suddenly got a whole lot friendlier. Don't know if it was related...

jella
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:14 am

Fufa wrote:
teardropper wrote:
Yeah. Nobody notices.
Yeah, once I realized that I was completely fine! Though my neighbours suddenly got a whole lot friendlier. Don't know if it was related...
And you get the loviest tan withoout those pesky tan lines 8)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

The CO
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:15 am

I have a bad problem with hesitation, in that I should but don't a lot of the time.
So I'm listing 3 things I should have hesitated to do but went ahead and did them anyway.

1-Change my date/plan to drive from Florida back to Oregon in order to attend a weird party in the desert which I heard about from some circus buddies.

2-Bought a 1967 Cadillac ambulance. (I regret that one)

3-Clap & cheer & offer encouragement for the variety of people that were having sex on the top Altitude Lounge every morning between sunrise & 9am. (It was like having Cinemax across the street from our courtyard! Awesome!)
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

Trishntek
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:04 pm

CfM wrote:
How about you all make #1: bring CFM a cold gin and tonic? That's totally doable.
With or without lime?

I've honestly been trying to think of something I hesitate to do,,,,,

[youtube][/youtube]

Nope,,,,, not a fuggin' thang,,,,
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

Tamino

Post by Tamino » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:25 pm

1. Taking an aspirin from a friend after asking "Why is it blue?"
2. Eating a brownie I found in a little plastic cup with the words "eat me" on it
3. Riding my bike naked with only a respirator, goggles, blinkies and shoes into the crazy dust storm on Friday night in 2010!
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

teardropper

Post by teardropper » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:55 pm

Tamino wrote: into the crazy dust storm on Friday night in 2010!
I love dust storms.

142 days 'till the Man burns...
\^/
/..\ Furthur

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:08 pm

1) Leave the drive way for my first burn. I seriously spent an entire day procrastinating and indulging in unnecessary shopping therapy. I was quite apprehensive.
2) Volunteer to help with post event tear down. It lead to my participation in the potty project and that is awesome.
3) Go to the Meet and Greet. I'm a bit anxious about social situations too... But it was phucking fantastic to meet eplayans and be blown away IRL by The Contraption and and and and!

I have a hard time getting out and meeting people so I made a little useful Theme Camp and that brings the people to me. Awesome people. Lots of them. :P
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

jella
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:13 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:1) Leave the drive way for my first burn. I seriously spent an entire day procrastinating and indulging in unnecessary shopping therapy. I was quite apprehensive.
2) Volunteer to help with post event tear down. It lead to my participation in the potty project and that is awesome.
3) Go to the Meet and Greet. I'm a bit anxious about social situations too... But it was phucking fantastic to meet eplayans and be blown away IRL by The Contraption and and and and!

I have a hard time getting out and meeting people so I made a little useful Theme Camp and that brings the people to me. Awesome people. Lots of them. :P
Awesome draws awesome...or so I hear :) Motz kows his way around building an awesome theme camp
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

teardropper

Post by teardropper » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:17 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:3) Go to the Meet and Greet.
This year, we're gonna' have to ban cameras. I'm just saying... Embarrassing.

I'll see you all this year, too.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:22 pm

jella wrote:
motskyroonmatick wrote:1) Leave the drive way for my first burn. I seriously spent an entire day procrastinating and indulging in unnecessary shopping therapy. I was quite apprehensive.

Awesome draws awesome...or so I hear :) Motz kows his way around building an awesome theme camp
Hi Jella! Hi Figment!
Thanks Jella! (I was talking about my welding and repair camp though) I'm definitely glad that I've been a part of Stag Camp coming together on the Playa all these years.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:44 pm

The eplaya Meet and Greet got mentioned...oh man, the first time I went to that I was so damn scared. Turned out I met some of the best damn people there. And as I had my issues and a lot of people turned their backs as they got sick of dealing with it...Doc Pyro never did that. He always said Hi and treated me with respect and offered some of the best hospitality on the playa that I've encountered.

I haven't forgotten it. And I'm damn glad he did. Thank you Doc.

One other thing I did that I was hesitant on was visit the Booby Bar. Even when I was a mess...again no attitude, just a Hi K, we're glad you're here attitude. Damn good people, damn good bar...what more can you say?

And last...Volunteer. BRCPO. Lamplighters. Greeters. Loved it, loved it, LOVED IT. If you can...try and volunteer for something. It really opened up the event for me. And again I've made damn good friends because of it.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Leo
Camp Name: Go the F**k to Sleep

Post by Leo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:59 pm

1. Wake up before dawn to watch the sun rise over the playa.
2. Dance.
3. Hitch a ride on an art car of dubious construction.
Best Regards,
Leo

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:40 am

Unfortunately some of the things I was hesitant to do I didn't do, old habits die hard. In fact, I'm compelled to return this year to resolve some of these issues. I left BRC with a strange combination of euphoria, optimism, sadness that it had to end, and a vague feeling of regret. Over time, and considerable thought, I've crystalized the feeling that I could have gotten a lot more out of it, I could have given a lot more to it had I just been able to overcome some insecurities.

I have to say, I've found this thread very enlightening, I had no idea so many others were as shy as I. It's a curse really, people form all sorts of opinions on why one is withdrawn most of which are way off base...... unfriendly.... troubled..... weird (okay I'll cop to that one). It's not that I want to be this way, granted I'll never be the life of the party, but it's hard not to just crawl into a shell when you've been doing it for so long.

I got my toes wet last year, this year I'm going to put myself out there and see whether I can experience some personal growth (or confirm my reluctance has merit). What could go wrong?

Hell, I might even do the MnG.

Does Doc's place have any wallpaper to blend into?
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:16 am

Sic Pup wrote:

Does Doc's place have any wallpaper to blend into?
If there is any, you will have to have a throw down with kenman on who can blend in the most lol. Come on by! it sounds like there will be many kindred spirits and we can all figure it out together. :D
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:19 am

Dont worry.

There are so many people at the M&G that you can go unnoticed if you want to.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:58 am

FIGJAM wrote:Dont worry.

There are so many people at the M&G that you can go unnoticed if you want to.
yeah, right.........The MnG is so dang fun......it's great to meet new, and greet old, friends, especially from here.

of course, being in uniform, and quite dapper, I'm easy to find.

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”