problums with police?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
baramiah

problums with police?

Post by baramiah » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:33 pm

i am a newbie and have yet to go to bm, i was woundering about the undercover police officers that patrol around brc durring bm, have there been problums with them in the past disruppting the event?
"Don't take life to seriousally, you'll never make it out alive."
"Worring is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but dosen't get you anywhere."

Tiara

Post by Tiara » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:38 pm

Start by reading this thread: http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=3043

This is a topic that's been covered many times.

baramiah

Post by baramiah » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:03 pm

thats fine and all with qustions about drugs, but i was currious as how the treated the people on a more general basis
"Worring is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but dosen't get you anywhere."

SilkenTofu
Location: in a cold case in the healthfood eisle at your local grocery store

Post by SilkenTofu » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:29 pm

I personally never had a problem - in fact I never really saw much of a police presence. Undercover??? I guess you would never really know. Who knows, I may have gotten a beer from one of them. As long as you are not breaking the law you may act as insane as you want.

I heard of some people getting arrested or ticketed for sex acts in public view at one of the larger dance camps, but never confirmed it. This just means do it in your tent or RV. Or maybe psychically.
I am a bit tied up at the moment...but if you leave your name and number.....

Jus Say Ventura

Re: problums with police?

Post by Jus Say Ventura » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:51 pm

baramiah wrote:i am a newbie and have yet to go to bm, i was woundering about the undercover police officers that patrol around brc durring bm, have there been problums with them in the past disruppting the event?
I would worry more about the Spelling Cops.

Hope you don't have a Problum with taht!
"Da Mind, Da Bod! Da Governor of BRC!"
(Governor since 2001)

Jus Say Ventura

Post by Jus Say Ventura » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:53 pm

Ooopssss, sorry bud!

I didn't see that you from Texas
"Da Mind, Da Bod! Da Governor of BRC!"
(Governor since 2001)

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:32 pm

We gave two uniformed officers some glowsticks on Friday evening, they were delighted to have the bracelets and were extremely friendly and willing to say hi howdy. As for undercover, well, we were never doing anything of interest to them, and/or they did their job so well we never even noticed them. Anyway, purposefully disrupting the event would cause far too much paperwork for LEO, my guess is thatthey're mostly after dealers and dimbulbs who don't know the meaning of discretion.

"Why did you pull ME over officer? Lots of other people are speeding."

"Ever go fishing son? Well, I bet you never caught ever single fish in the lake, now did you?"

And Likewise: Do as you will, just don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses.

And perhaps some gifts are less than wise even if you are in the gifting mood.

Anti M

pokiedot

Post by pokiedot » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:00 pm

baramiah wrote:i am a newbie and have yet to go to bm, i was woundering about the undercover police officers that patrol around brc durring bm, have there been problums with them in the past disruppting the event?
first of all, to respond, all the uniformed cops i've chatted with or encountered have been cool, and some of them really seam to be getting a kick out of being there. as for ununiformed cops, i don't know if i've ever encountered them, but that may have to do with the fact that i don't do anything that would give any cop any cause for concern. just do like you do in the real world and be smart about what you do in public.

second of all.. this is more a question to everyone else. i was going to start my own thread, but i guess i can fit my question into this one. this year my camp is hosting a bar. has any camp running a bar ever encountered any attention from cops? i'm guessing that we wouldn't be liable for any minors we serve, but i guess technically we could be, yes? i just have bad, fuzzy, drunken memories of parties at college being busted, with every minor in the house walking home with a big fat ticket to show mumsy and daddums.

baramiah

Post by baramiah » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:40 pm

I would worry more about the Spelling Cops.

Hope you don't have a Problum with taht![/quote]

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!! You have found out my deep dark secreat, i can't spell. :oops: Dont tell anyone!! :wink:

TommyTheCat

Post by TommyTheCat » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:22 pm

Hey im frem Texas an I cen spel, tank yoo very moch.
I got ma ride...blargh!

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:33 am

Don't worry, be cool and don't do anything that you wouldn't do in the outside world. Be street wise and indiscreet.

I know some BLM that wouldn't even bother if you smoke some pot, but there are others that would have to because they're not sure if the guy they're teamed up with might file a report on them so they might have to ticket you out of fear of losing their jobs.

Best you can do about the drugs laws if fight to change them in our country before you go to BM and after. Most cops really think the laws are not justified but they have to carry out the law. Its the job that you, our society tells them to do.

What ever you do don't make it easy for them to bust you and you won't have a problem and remember drug use is endorsed by BM or even encouraged! And not needed to have the best time of your life either!

Become violent in anyway and they will bust your head open before you know it. They really get off on subdueing violence!

So be happy and don't worry, even when they are looking at you with night and thermal sensored devices.

A II Z

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:37 am

Apollonaris Zeus wrote: "remember drug use is endorsed by BM or even encouraged!
Please note the typo error!

should read-

...remember that drug use is "NOT" endorsed by BM...

sorry I was stoned when I wrote that. see how bad drugs are! Bad drugs! Bad Bad Drugs!

A II Z

baramiah

Post by baramiah » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:50 am

thanks for all the info people!! instead of drugs i think ill just stick with lots and lots of sex!

Lorgasm

Post by Lorgasm » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:02 pm

I've always loved the motto of the law enforcement back in the day. Do you remember it? I do...TO PROTECT AND TO SERVE. You would think it still rings true today, and maybe it does. However, last year my boyfriend and I had many of our precious items stolen from us. I also have read and heard of many other burners who have had their items stolen. Its as though there is a group of evil bandits who only come to BRC to steal. Easy in. Easy out. Nothing was ever done to prevent these terrible acts. Meanwhile, the happy and loving burners (who, by the way contribute lots and lots of $$$$$$ to Nev. this time of year) are just here to absorb, enjoy, create, play, and bask in the glow that is Burningman.

I totally respect the law enforcement. I've always felt secure knowing the "blue man" was only a scream away. Look, we are not savages. People on any mind altering substance (that I know of) have ever done anything violent. There is no such thing as an angry stoner. We are all here to love, help, and play nice with one an another.

For all the law knows, my neighbor could be smoking a joint for medicinal purposes (which I support 150%!). Either way, I say cool. Enjoy. We are all here to live love laugh. In the meantime, protect you precious items, your friends, and your faith. :wink:

Much love,
Lorgasm
BOOBIES!!!

stuart

Post by stuart » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:36 pm

ever run into someone at the end of a 5 day meth binge?

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:29 pm

stuart wrote:ever run into someone at the end of a 5 day meth binge?

//
I worked a shift for two years in a detox unit. Seen em with guns bow&arrow and BI..g knives. Only hit one. After took out a row four cops with one push. A kidney shot did the trick.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Friendly Jen

Undercover Cops/Cops/Rangers

Post by Friendly Jen » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:58 pm

You can usually spot them if they are camped nearby using the following tricks:

1) The camp is nearly 100% male
2) They all have ATVs but they are NOT decorated and you have seen them driving around
3) They have professional grade walkie talkies and/or CBs on the ATVs
4) They have no 'burner looking' visitors

This is by no means a catch all....but if this behavior is noticed It might be a good idea to introduce yourself if you haven't already.

Lysergic

Well...

Post by Lysergic » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:06 am

Everyone is saying that nevada is a no-tolerance state but i thought they recently decriminalized marijuana like what 11 other states? Thats what http:/www.norml.org shows.

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:22 am

I think the main message here is:
The cops at BM are cool, but they're not so cool as to spark up a doobie and get laced with you. They're mostly friendly and helpful (in my experience anyway), but they're not getting paid to be your friend. They're getting paid to make sure no laws are broken...so try not to break any and it'll all be fine.

I've been a little curious about the whole underage drinking thing myself. I usually leave my I.D. in my car for the entire burn, but would a cop be able to bust me for not having it if I were drinking in a bar? I'm 22, but I look about 15. I've never heard of anything like that happening...I'm just curious if it's a possibility.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:06 pm

Bump cuz it's getting close and people may be wondering....

Don't be dumb out there if you're doing drugs...An undercover PROLLY isn't going to hang out with you for a couple hours to get a bust....If you wanna do drugs then bring em, don't hope/expect to be gifted....and lastly, NEVER consent to a search
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:15 pm

Read the back of your fucking ticket, drugboy, or (preferably) stay home.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:47 am

JezebelinHell wrote:....
I've been a little curious about the whole underage drinking thing myself. I usually leave my I.D. in my car for the entire burn, but would a cop be able to bust me for not having it if I were drinking in a bar? I'm 22, but I look about 15. I've never heard of anything like that happening...I'm just curious if it's a possibility.
BLM law is nice enough to drive you right back to your camp in the process of their investigation and get your id with you. (thats if you claim to be over 21) if it turns out your not, you can be buggered. Especially if you claim to be, make them go to the trouble of going to your camp. My advice - ask for an attorney, or if he (the law) is in a good mood, take the ticket and move on.

If you have no id anywhere they canmake a good faith effort to ID you through other means. SS#, Drivers license number, and others. They will check NCIC as well as SOP

Green Wood

Post by Green Wood » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:10 am

Tip #666- Do not drive to BM reeking!

Tip #666- Do not pull into BM reeking!

Tip #666- Do not reek in camp!

cops pull over any vehicle that has a vehicle violation. i.e.- lights, bald tire, overweight, driving too close, anything that would be a cause to pull you over!

Greeters have been known to be undercover cops! They are not always males, they are also female! They can come from anywhere and are not just local cops!

When they walk or drive around camps, they use their noses!

Use perfume and lots of incense!

AIIZ
I might be green, but I can burn brite with the help of my playa friends!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:17 am

what does AIIZ mean?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:33 am

Green Wood wrote:Tip #666- Do not drive to BM reeking!

Tip #666- Do not pull into BM reeking!

Tip #666- Do not reek in camp!

Greeters have been known to be undercover cops! They are not always males, they are also female! They can come from anywhere and are not just local cops!

Never have heard anything about this.. Cite's??

AIIZ
But I have walked through the lines helping incoming traffic get rid of open containers before the hit greeters... :wink: :wink: :wink:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:45 am

ygmir wrote:what does AIIZ mean?
A to Z?

Could this be an Apollonius Zeus sock that slipped? I think he signs his posts that way.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:44 pm

Last year I was told by my greeter that LEO's were looking hard for open containers

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:07 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
ygmir wrote:what does AIIZ mean?
A to Z?

Could this be an Apollonius Zeus sock that slipped? I think he signs his posts that way.
well, it could be, but, I'm pretty sure it means something........
I think AZ puts that on his sig to denote something about his post........

just wonderin.

I'll try google........
tick tock, tick tock......
nope, no help there........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:13 pm

A to Z....Duh.

All encompassing, you know.

*snores*
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:18 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:A to Z....Duh.

All encompassing, you know.

*snores*
sorry to bother you, and, if your right, thanks.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”