Ways to beat the dust

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
TheJudge

Ways to beat the dust

Post by TheJudge » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:50 pm

It may or may not be dusty this year. If it is, what do you use? Dust masks? Bandannas? Paint Respirators? WWII gas masks?

My own setup is a shemagh. You know, the black and white checkerboard head cover used in the middle East. Its got several names and comes in several types. Its very simple and very useful. I combine that with a pair of sunglasses and military goggles with clear lenses. The military kind are designed to fit over glasses, so If a storm kicks up, I can wrap the shemagh over my face, pull the goggles over the sunglasses and I'm done. And since the goggles are clear, they work well at night.

So what are your tricks?
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu

Stormy

Re: Ways to beat the dust

Post by Stormy » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:59 pm

TheJudge wrote:So what are your tricks?
Find some cute member of the opposite sex with a large RV. (Just kidding dear.)
Be the change you seek in the world.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:11 pm

Aw darn! :wink:
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Lady Citrine

Sarongs & Clic Goggles

Post by Lady Citrine » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:47 pm

I find that my sarongs and goggles are my best friends out in the dust. I wear contacts and they are super sensitive to the dust. Last year, on Sunday when we had the many hours of dust, I was right out there in it while my campmates all hid out in a RV. With my sarong around my head (over my nose/mouth) and my goggles on, I had a great time playing and letting people walking through the whiteout know where they were.

Sarongs can be used for a dusk mask, shade, covering, blanket, bandage, etc. So much more comfy and fashionable than a dust mask!

I have many pairs of goggles, but the ones I use most are CliC Goggles. They have a magnet at the bridge of your nose that attaches them. Very cool, very easy to take on and off and go nicely around your neck or on top of your head. The strap is minimal..a hard plastic. And, instead of getting stuck in your hair, like elastic, they glide right on through. (No, I don't work for the company). I've taken them to the Playa for three years and have given several pair to Playa friends.
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

TheJudge

Re: Sarongs & Clic Goggles

Post by TheJudge » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:50 am

Lady Citrine wrote:I have many pairs of goggles, but the ones I use most are CliC Goggles.
I know a lot of people that swear by their CliC goggles. They seem to be pretty perfect for the playa.

I usually bring a couple of different pair of goggles with me. Gotta have a backup or two. Venice Beach has a lot of places that sell sunglasses for only $5, so I pick up a few pair throughout the year and mix and match while I am out there. The cheapo goggles you see for sale work pretty well and I dont feel so broken-hearted if I drop or destroy them while I'm on the playa. Sometimes all you need to do is glue a piece of dust mask material to the vents in the side of the goggles to prevent dust from entering when you turn your head and you're all set.

honeyfire

Dust is a big issue for me

Post by honeyfire » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:46 pm

I am asthmatic, and dust is my single biggest trigger, so this is a subject of great interest to me.
Does anyone have compare/contrast opinions on the basic little fiberpaper masks you get at the hardware store or wherever as compared to the bigger bug-looking kinds with actual filters?
I'd rather not have lotsa dust in my eyes, but it won't land me in the hospital if i do... :shock:
I'm just trying not to be liveMOOP...

Civil rights: use 'em or lose 'em!

TheJudge

Post by TheJudge » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:19 pm

For me, those paper masks are just fine for the type of dust out there, but they dont fit very well. They always seem too small for my face. I also have a goatee so there is never a perfect seal. And after a couple of dust storms, they are usually pretty dirty and useless. Keep em in a ziplock and use em only once.

You might try a cloth surgical mask if you can find one. They may work well.

The past few years there have been a couple of big storms the blew up right when everyone was cleaning up and leaving. A friend of mine wore his military gas mask and it worked perfectly. Of course, wearing a gas mask is not always a pleasant thing to do.

I've worn a paint respirator out there before and had no problems, but only when it got really bad and I was going to be out in it for a while. Otherwise, I use my shemagh for just about everything.

Lady Citrine

Cloth vs. Rubber (dust masks) & Sarongs

Post by Lady Citrine » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:32 pm

My first year, I had read so many posts about dust that I brought a rubber dust mask (the kind used for painting). I believe they are called respirators, made for fine particles. It worked, but I felt very uncomfortable wearing it. It was bulky, heavy and felt weird to breathe in. The next year, I left it at home. I used a cheap cloth one the following year and it was better. However, there was not as much dust to deal with.

Now, I use a sarong. I would bet that a sarong over a more comfortable cloth mask would be more effective for someone who really needed to avoid the dust particles. During the extended whiteout last year, I wore my goggles and only my sarong over my face and head. It was perfect and I'll never go back to a dust mast..

My only advice is to go to your local hardware store and ask a few people, not just one. Let them know you are dealing with fine dust particles and are asthmatic. The dust is expected to be heavy this year, you will be wearing your mask a lot. Make sure you try it out at home for a while before you depend on it on the Playa.

I found a great place to get sarongs online. It's zunimaya.com. They give really good deals for larger quantities too.

Good luck!

LC
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

shitmouse

Post by shitmouse » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:28 pm

i totally agree with lady Cit,

fine cloth wrapped on your melon is really a great way to go!

a few years back i brought an "uber" particulat mask as i wanted to get the most out of my burn (storms included), it was heavy and cumbersome and didn't 'bike' well. so i left it at home thisd mpast year as well.

then my friend gave me a silk headcloth/sarong and it made a world of difference. -( and so much more "stylie" than a paint mask).
great for storms as you could kern it to accommodate your needs. full face, etc. guava/orange was a nice playa contrast in the dust....
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=

Mithra

Post by Mithra » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:50 pm

Check this out:
Anti-Pollution Mask
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/produ ... sp?id=1530

Came through on the ranger list a while back. It's light, not cumbersom and supposed to work well. I'm thinkning about picking one up.

I just bought my Clic's I'll be bringing some other goggles for night time as well.

Mithra

shitmouse

Post by shitmouse » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:23 am

Mithra wrote:Check this out:
Anti-Pollution Mask
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/produ ... sp?id=1530

Came through on the ranger list a while back. It's light, not cumbersom and supposed to work well. I'm thinkning about picking one up.

I just bought my Clic's I'll be bringing some other goggles for night time as well.

Mithra
hey,
my wife knoes someone that works at "click", and they make great products, i was gifted a pair too, but haven't taken them to the playa yet.
cheers,
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=

Hotspur

Post by Hotspur » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:08 pm

Does anyone know of a store in Los Angeles that sells Clic goggles? I'm having a hard time finding them and would rather not buy online at this late a date?

Blonde Iguana

Post by Blonde Iguana » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:11 am

Honeyfire, I have pretty severe asthma too, so the dust is of concern to me as well. I'm a BM newb, so I'm taking probably way more respiratory protection than I may need: A variety of painter's masks, a couple of fairly light but powerful safety breathers with changeable filters (that I got from a friend who works at a safety supply distributor), sarongs, a muslin head wrap; AND, if you have asthma, I think it's very important to pay a leetle visit to your doc, make sure you're breathin' fine, and get some extra prescriptions in case you run into trouble with the dust and don't want to end up in a dire emergency sitch.
How we live each day is, of course, how we live our lives.

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:32 am

I have some N95 filters but they look ugly. On the various types of cloth for the face, what kinds of cloth are people using? I'm thinking of using silk stuff, but I thought I'd ask and see what works. In the past I got by with cheap filters but this year with all the warnings about dust I'll be wearing it a lot so I want the most comfy stuff I can get. Not to mention something that comes in other colors besides white.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:13 am

From other post, I get: head wraps of cotton or silk. I have had face masks most of my work life. When it is hot out they are very uncomfortable. I'm going with the head wrap and add some color.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”