Baby at BM, experience? preparation? what? where?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
BabyRocks

Baby at BM, experience? preparation? what? where?

Post by BabyRocks » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:34 am

Alright, i had my first BM last year. Was pregnant 6th months and very much worried before but it was smoothier than I thought it could be and the best what I could have done for the unborn as I was more relaxed and happy than in the rest of the pregnancy (stress and worrying is the worst for unborns, so it was efo good for her).

I thought I cancel this year as she is so little and growling isnt the easiest there. But.. a friend said why not and now I got hooked again.

So does anyone has experience with a baby at the plaxa? (she is almost 8 monhts).

I am single parent, so nobody else to plan or carry or watch her. But anyway.

All ppl I know dnt have kids. And nt sure about how to keep her away frm dust and heat and cold enough (cold is the easiest I guess, but wanna be on the safe side) and of course I am not rich as a single mom. But thought maybe to try to build a kind of thing 10 times bigger than a stroler with a roof where she can enjoy her time and i just push her around and enjoy mine too :)

but nothing is worse to risk her. so:

Here my questions:
Is RV/Van necesary? How did the others sleep?
How to make them drink enough when they r used to breastfeeding (only rarely water)?
Sunscrean yes, no, how often (while long shirt and trousers and big heat and as much shade as possible?
What cloth and where to get them?
Earplugs yes no, which ones? (on ebay r that big ones for babies, did anyone try them at all?)
Diapers, they warm a lot, any suggestions on that?
How is Kids camp?
How to carry them during the day in the best cooling way?
etc. Please as much info as possible.

Raymaker

Re: Baby at BM, experience? preparation? what? where?

Post by Raymaker » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:59 am

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:13 am

Your friend's question of "Why not?" is not a very good reason to bring a baby to the Black Rock Desert. (Does he or she even have a baby? Do they know how hard it is to take care of one?) I can think of a lot of reasons "why not", unless you have air-conditioning and a childcare partner, like another mom with you who trades off--etc. I'm thinking of those two 7 hour dust storms we had in 2008, and how uncomfortable they would have been in a van for an adult, let alone a delicate baby.

However, if you're determined to do this, educate yourself. Your baby's safety depends completely on you, not us.

Here's what appears to be a main site for Kidsville:
http://blackrockkids.org/

Here's their link specifically about babies:
http://blackrockkids.org/baby.html

And they have a Yahoo Group, which will have the greatest amount of information:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KidsCamp/

Kidsville does not accept walk-up participants. You must register. They do not have organized childcare or meal plans.

If you or your baby run into trouble, go to Emergency Services at 3:00 & C, 9:00 & C, or near Center Camp. Last year Center Camp Emergency Services was at 5:15 and Esplanade. It's free, unless one or both of you are so sick you must be transported off the playa.

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:34 am

There will be lots of opinions on this issue - here's mine. PLEASE do not bring your baby to the playa. You just don't have the experience yet as to just how extreme an environment the playa is. You are about two weeks away from the event and asking these questions? Good grief, you would be very hard pressed to make adequate preparations for having a baby on the playa even if you had a ton of money to throw at it.

How could you put your child in the situation of having to depend solely on you, who will be dealing with your own issues of hydration, sleep deprivation, etc, etc...? Those things can have a profound effect on your judgment and could put her in far more risk than you realize.

I know it would be hard not to go - it would be harder if some old jaded burner like me came up to you on the playa with law enforcement and filed a neglect complaint. As I am reading this, I realize how harsh and uncaring it sounds - please forgive me for that harshness and understand that I feel very strongly about this in this instance. Stay home and keep her comfortable and happy - the world can be an inhospitable place, but no need to make it so for her on purpose.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.

brody
Burning Since: 2004

Post by brody » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:50 pm

I don't have kids and are vaguely horrified by them, so I don't personally have any advice for you, but here's a link to a recorded "Burning Babies" webcast by Bettie June, who's on staff at Burning Man and who has a 2 year old. She answered a bunch of good questions, gave a bunch of helpful info, it's about an hour long:

(Skip to about 8 minutes in, stuff finally gets started around then-- unfortunately all the "getting started, rustling around" stuff couldn't be edited out)

https://www.fuzemeeting.com/replay_meet ... e9/1545053
-------------------------------
(cold hands, warm bacon)

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:53 pm

BabyRocks wrote:But.. a friend said why not and now I got hooked again.
Do you smoke crack? Why not? :roll:

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:55 pm

I'd counsel against it.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Dr Jet Sinister
Burning Since: 1986

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:17 pm

Every person I've ever seen with a baby at the event looked miserable. Granted, I haven't seen many people with babies at the event. With that said, it's really not fair to that child to expose her developing system to the harsh conditions, especially her lungs. Will she wear a respirator the entire time? :roll:
brody wrote:I don't have kids and are vaguely horrified by them,....
There are LOTS of people that have this same opinion.
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:31 pm

At this age, your child would not actually gain anything from the experience (barring some horrible, life-scarring trauma your grown child will have no memory of the event), and depending on a number of factors there could be serious harm (exposure, heat issues, alkali dust-related issues. Diapers, btw, almost certainly can not be put into the porta-potty so make some kind of containment/waste water plans). I know several who have brought children to the playa, but not a single one who's brought someone under the age of one. They all choose to take the first year off, or make arrangements with someone to care for the child in a safe environment (ie grandma/grandpa back at home, etc) and then bring the young'uns out when they're old enough to appreciate and possibly gain something from the experience. Obviously, those were their choices and what you do is up to you - good luck making the right decision for you and your family.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:40 pm

I'm in the "no" camp as well- especially with a baby that young. I would wait until she's 2 or 3, but the idea of bringing an 8 month old out to an environment that sends full grown aware adults to Emergency Medical every year just sends chills up my spine.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:00 pm

I think I would wait until more people from kidsville with actual experience check in here. Most people replying so far, to my knowledge, are not parents. Additionally, I would check with your pediatrician first and foremost.

It's not like you haven't been to the playa before, so just be honest with yourself. Do YOU think it's a good environment for a six month old baby?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

essjay

Post by essjay » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:04 pm

Please no. You are single and the people you are camping with don't have kids. So, you will be holding your child the whole week. You will not be able to enjoy BM.

Turnip

Post by Turnip » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:17 pm

An 8 month old can't exactly tell you

"mom, I'm dehydrated and have a severe electrolyte/vitamin deficiency atm. Give me that damn multi-vitamin!"

How will you differentiate between tired crying, hurt crying, over heated crying, playa dust chafing crying, playa up-da-nose crying, general discomfort crying, sick crying...

There are just too many variables. Babies have tiny bodies, man. It doesn't take much to screw them up.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:18 pm

Can a baby wear a dust mask and goggles?
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:21 pm

Isn't he small enough at eight months that she could just put him in a cooler during dust storms? And if it gets a little too hot inside, she could just throw in some ice.
Elorrum wrote:Can a baby wear a dust mask and goggles?
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:27 pm

jkisha wrote:Isn't he small enough at eight months that she could just put him in a cooler during dust storms? And if it gets a little too hot inside, she could just throw in some ice.
Elorrum wrote:Can a baby wear a dust mask and goggles?
:shock:
:lol:
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

BabyRocks

Post by BabyRocks » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:39 pm

i only know bm from last year and i heard the weather was more mild than usual, is this true?
ok one dust storm... we were wearing masks, but i thought in a van it would be ok, no?
sleep deprive and dehydration, i was pregnant last year and for sure, baby and health first, so of course i didnt take anything, stayd away from alc too and drank planety of water (carried all the time a gallon with me, rested a lot and didnt go out at night, rested a lot).

i was with her on a lot of smaller events, concerts and things, just stayed where it wasnt as load and she loved it. she loves people, she loves music and we were in new york city at a heat wave, we stayed in the shade, i put lots of water on her (she even loves when i put water over her head) and so we were fine. i am not going to expect a big party for me, i would just go to see a bit of it and to meet a few ppl and get a bit of the atmosphare. if its still dangerous, i will stay away. my friend has no kids no, she just saw me last year pregnant their and said i would have a blast and the little one too. but of course, nothing is worse to risk anything. but is it not, that i just do what i would do if i would be in a headwave in a city without houses, just to stay in shade with her and cover her if there is no shade and to stay in at night and to get in a van when the storm comes?

BabyRocks

Post by BabyRocks » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:03 pm

i am traveling with her now for 4 months and i made the same experience (what a lot of other traveling parents confirmed me, but all none travel parents where horrified about) with traveling in general that its much easier as smaller they r as they dont move much and as long as they cant walk, u can keep them somewhere above ground level so they will not get the dust. but sure, the lungs. is there any studies about that, i mean that the dust as long as there is no dust storm , it harms them?

i si t not much harder to go with a child what can walk, e.g. a 1 or 2 year old as they wanna be in the dust on the ground and u hardly can hold them back?

Every person I've ever seen with a baby at the event looked miserable... why? cause they couldnt party as they wanted or cause they had to look after them or cause it harmd the kid?

no, i dont have anyone to look after her, she is used to be with me 24/7.

i was only ones at bm, my friend who has no kids plenty of times, but she said she saw a lot between newborn and older.. i was like i said only ones and was half the time relaxing, so havent seen too much. and then i thought maybe she is right as i was horrified last year pregnant but then i tried it and it was so easy and as i was more relaxed and happy then ever to be there, it was for sure the best for the pregnancy as nothing better than a relaxed and happy mom (nothing worse for a kid than a stressed one who feels stuck i guess). so i thought ok, if i push her around away from the ground, not partying, just being there and enjoying being away from the usual stuff (i didnt party last year, but i really enjoyed being there, sober, with my water bottle and being half of the time just in the tent relaxing and eating healthy food and talking to ppl or lookign around) and in case of dust we go in a van and plenty of water and sun cloth and shade, its maybe really ok. does anyone actually have the experience with doing that or know about someone?

why are there emergencies, drugs, alc, exhausting, but mainly dehydration and that ppl focused more on enjoyment than on health. i would get in bed at 9 and get up at 9. that for sure. and no drugs, no alc, lots of water, lots of shade. just to make that clear. but the dust is a main issue what i am concerned of yes.

reg the weather, at night to keep her warm wouldnt be a problem, lots of cloth and she sleeps with me anyway. so guess thats ok.
hot.. we were in nyc at heath wave, 105 i guess it was, we were ok, will it get hotter at the playa? drier, i know.. but with plenty of water and watery meals and watery cloths and stuff?

and to the concern that i have to hold her the whole time, i am used to that. i havent had an hour off for 5 months.

she is 8 months by then. very strong and very big for a 8 months old.. do they really need vitamin suplements? will ask her doc for sure. ok, not her doc, i know a doc who was at bm, a normal doc cant tell i guess.

and reg. crying. she doesnt cry without a reason. she only cries when she is hungry or tired or bored. so bored will not be and hungry and tired she cries till she gets fed or i put her to sleep, so she is pretty easy on that, she never cries for longer than a minute anymore. so i would know if she cries for longer than that, that something would be wrong.

u r right, is anyone here who acutally has experience with an infant at playa or knows about anyone?

BabyRocks

Post by BabyRocks » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:19 pm

and stupid question, but r the dust storms only at night or during the day too? (guess both, but experienced onyl one at night) as when it was wintertime and freezing the midwife said its ok to carry the newborn in the sling under a closed jacket and they still get enough air..

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:23 pm

Big dust storms can happen anytime.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

swampdog
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:25 pm

We took kids at about 8 months to a YMCA family camp. Damn that was some work. We stayed in cabins, ate in a dining hall, had running water and electricity. And it was hard.

You sound more experienced at getting by with a kid in rough circumstances. But my opinion? No way in hell would I take a kid to the playa.

btw, I don't mock people's spelling, but sometimes a misspelling ends up having its own special truth.

I love
and drank planety of water
That's pretty much it. You need to drink a planety of water at Burning Man.

swampdog
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:30 pm

peak times for dust storms are about 2 pm to 7 pm and after a major burn. But yeah, they can happen any time at all.

Dr Jet Sinister
Burning Since: 1986

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:51 pm

The dust is everywhere all the time. Have you seen photos taken at night by the average person? http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=197#p604 Do you see the white spots? That's dust just floating in the air and reflecting the camera flash.

I don't think it's worth the risk, but it's your choice obviously.
BabyRocks wrote: Every person I've ever seen with a baby at the event looked miserable... why? cause they couldnt party as they wanted or cause they had to look after them or cause it harmd the kid?
Because it's exhausting to care for a baby in that environment and it's sad to not be able to go play with everyone else.
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

Turnip

Post by Turnip » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:54 am

I guess the only question comes down to this,

Are you willing to risk the life of your 8 month old baby to go to Burning Man?

Yes/No?

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:21 am

There isn't a single positive thing for your baby that can come out of bringing her this year. This whole justification list you wrote it for YOU, YOU, YOU! I am hopefully not coming across judgmental, but YOU simply don't want to miss the burn this year and have no one to leave the kid with.
As a single mother, money must be tight, and the money you have needs to go toward your baby, not your continued party life. That is all changing now that there's a kid in the picture. At 4 or 5 years old, things change and she can be part of the fun, but until then, you really have to think about all aspects of your baby and the health of her.
I don't know your age, (it may have said) and I don't know the circumstances of getting pregnant, but there is now an awesome responsibility dropped on you, and it's time to step up to the plate and do the right things for this sweet little person in your life.

I really hope you do the right thing and skip the next few years, but I hope to see you on the playa somewhere down the road.

Best of luck with the baby and with making the right decision here!

Sham....

Turnip

Post by Turnip » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:40 am

BabyRocks wrote:and stupid question, but r the dust storms only at night or during the day too? (guess both, but experienced onyl one at night) as when it was wintertime and freezing the midwife said its ok to carry the newborn in the sling under a closed jacket and they still get enough air..

All you need for a dust storm is

1. Dust
2. Wind

(always present on the playa)

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:58 am

MIDWIFE!? Might as well ask a witchdoctor. See a pediatrician. If you can't afford one, you shouldn't be gong to the event with or without your baby. Geez, sometimes I can't help but feel there should be intelligence and means testing required to get a license to have children.
BabyRocks wrote:and stupid question, but r the dust storms only at night or during the day too? (guess both, but experienced onyl one at night) as when it was wintertime and freezing the midwife said its ok to carry the newborn in the sling under a closed jacket and they still get enough air..
JK

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:04 am

BabyRocks wrote:the midwife said its ok to carry the newborn in the sling under a closed jacket and they still get enough air..
You're going to kill your baby. Don't do that. You need a smarter midwife. Don't bring your baby to Burning Man this year, she is too young. Got it?

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:32 am

Shambala wrote:
BabyRocks wrote:the midwife said its ok to carry the newborn in the sling under a closed jacket and they still get enough air..
[/color]
yeah, what Sham says.
and:
what comfort and safety there'd be, being held in a closed jacket, in a sling, in heat and sweat, muffled there.
Surely, memories to last a lifetime.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 am

jkisha wrote:I think I would wait until more people from kidsville with actual experience check in here. Most people replying so far, to my knowledge, are not parents. Additionally, I would check with your pediatrician first and foremost.

It's not like you haven't been to the playa before, so just be honest with yourself. Do YOU think it's a good environment for a six month old baby?

You rang? :D

OP, I have stayed in Kidsville for 3 yrs, this is our 4th and our boy turns 9 right after this burn. 2 yrs ago we had a single parent with a 4? yr old girl who partied like nothing else and the Rangers brought him back, very intoxicated. It was a struggle to get him and her into their tent. Only to learn later that he wandered off with her later in search of the porto's. He was endangering his child because he could not exercise will power and stay sober for the entire event. Can you do that?

I have seen younger in KV, our first year we had a couple camp next to us with a boy just shy of 2. If I recall that is the youngest I have seen. They had a camper with a/c so could retreat. They rotated going out so one was always with the kids (they had an older daughter). You do not have a support structure in place to allow for this. Have you, at the least, gotten involved with the Yahoo Kids Camp site? Kids Camp The time to register to stay in KV has passed but as people drop out openings occur. I would join that site and get with Mayor Lora to see what your possibilities are. Note that people have been squeezed in during the event but that is because a camp allowed someone some space, as I did for our neighbors the first year. But that is not a given, and depends of the camp infrastructure in place. KV is NOT a baby-sitting service and while we luv us our Mayor (she is the God King of the Universe after all) she will put the stomp down on any inappropriate shit. With our full support and assistance. This ain't Disney World, though with one burn you should get that.

I have seen infants on the playa elsewhere but I personally would not do it. As I am also a Paramedic, I tend to look at things that we would refer to as job security and this is one situation. Are you breast feeding or bottles etc? Can you adequately insure the sterility (I'm not talking about NASA sterile here either, just free of dust) of either when feeding your child? What about hydration? Can you tell when your baby is thirsty? Do you know the signs to look for in regards to dehydration?

Masks and goggles? Do you have appropriate equipment for a child this size? Will the child even keep them on or will you constantly be struggling with your child as they try and pull them off? A child's respiratory system at this age is vulnerable to contaminants on a much smaller scale due to their size.

Can you adequately provide shade shelter for your child? As well as thermal regulation? Sunburn protection?

You see, there are A LOT of challenges in a single parent bringing an 8 mth old onto the playa. You need to put your child first, tell your friend to piss off (in a nice way) and thoroughly examine whether this is a good thing to do, and how prepared you are to handle anything, including emergencies.

You've received a lot of good advice here. Think about it.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”