Fantasy football drafting from BM? :(...

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Woody Kusherman

Fantasy football drafting from BM? :(...

Post by Woody Kusherman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:42 pm

So i hate to even bring this up, feels like an awful un-burner like problem to me :roll: but who here, in the other world plays fantasy football, and would be totally bummed to have there team auto drafted for them? No way to reschedule the date, its done on this weekend every year. Anyone else ever have this dilemma?

It's at 1PM Sep 3rd, Saturday. During the heat of the day when i don't expect i will get either a reliable cell phone or wifi connection. But would love to hear if anyone has ever pulled something like this off?

Oh my gosh do you know how much trash i could talk if i beat my friends drafting from BM, probably a little buzzed, surely a little high.

What do you think my chances are? Anyone think they could help me accomplish this?

~peace~

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Fantasy football drafting from BM? :(...

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:44 pm

I dunno if this is an un-burner like problem as much as definitely a first world problem.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Woody Kusherman

Post by Woody Kusherman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:57 pm

True, and i feel lame asking, it's not what i intend to do or be the rest of the time there, but for those few hours id love to reconnect with my friends and not miss this annual event i have no right asking everyone to change the date of, just for me. Anyone ever manage to make a call out to the rest of the world around that time of the event? I hear it's the worst during the day, better at like 4AM.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:24 pm

junglesmacks wrote:I dunno if this is an un-burner like problem as much as definitely a first world problem.
I'll say.

Hey Woody, did you have any food today? How about clean drinking water? You got that all sorted out?

Woody Kusherman

Post by Woody Kusherman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:33 pm

yes actually i do thank you

~peace~

Woody Kusherman

Post by Woody Kusherman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:35 pm

i know there are a lot of tecky camps at BM, they manage to prepare well enough to afford them time to play with their toys. can anyone from that area of the community chime in and let me know what to realistically expect as for service, or offer a suggestion?

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:39 pm

There's many cell phone threads on here. Google "cell phone eplaya" or the like.

http://brimstoneaws.burningman.com/view ... =3&t=44554
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:40 pm

We've seen funnier trolls. Ho-hum.

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:45 pm

why don't you just go halfers on a team with a buddy, then let him draft for the two of you. Even go halfers on 2 teams, then that way it's the same cost to enter, but you have a better chance of winning, cause you have 2 teams to try and win the poole.
)'(

Woody Kusherman

Post by Woody Kusherman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:02 pm

I've seen funnier trolls then you too Ugly, why you feel the need to come in here and hate? You're life that lonely till BM? Don't ASSume you have a clue about me and my preparations, and i wont do it to you ok buddy? Sorry checking food and water off your list is so hard and so high a priority for you, but i personally have that covered with time to spare on something as frivolous as you obviously find fantasy football to be. Four months of competitive fun with your friends frivolous to you? It isn't to me, but to each there own man.

@ Stickygreen
Wish i could man, but all my friends are in the league, lol Nothing like picking your own team either you know that :-)

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:14 am

i've been totally prepared to autodraft several times but fortunately my fellow owners are flexible...
autodraft, also, is not so bad considering how many times over analyzed "perfectly pieced together" teams get slobberknocked all season long.
i would look forward to the Box of Chocolates team you will discover when you return from the best party.
I am personally more concerned about having to get home just i time for our draft or do it from the road after hammering football out f my brain for 8 days i the dust..however, i do throw the ball out on the playa a lot.

let'er go. don't even try to attend your draft via cell service...that would be totally silly.(coming from a football fanatic)
blow.

Woody Kusherman

Post by Woody Kusherman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:50 am

I will have my players placed in order, and i'll tell my brother who's drafting in the league also, what i want to do, but actually i could do it by myself with a phone call quite easily. I have a really nice way of seeing all players names on my Macbook, eliminating them as there picked, and it places them on a draft board so i can also see who everyone els has picked. All on one screen. All my bro would have to do is tell me who goes. Actually if text messages we're fast enough i could do it that way too. Anyone got one of those old timey sos type telegraphs things you tap on? lol

thirt33n

Post by thirt33n » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:20 pm

let it go...
if you came up to me on the playa and mentioned fantasy football i would tell you the same thing.
it's not the place for it and it's not the place to ask around for someone to inconvenience themselves to help you with your fantasy football draft.
...realize that i too LOVe fantasy football..probably as much if not more than you. it's about controlling your obsession.
let it go. your season still has a good chance if it's drafted on auto. FACT.

live in black rock city while you are in black rock city.
blow.

Woody Kusherman

Post by Woody Kusherman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:28 pm

It's not about what team ill get as much as doing the draft, i love it, obviously more then you think. Personally i try not to tell anyone else what to love, or how much, nor what not to obsess over, not that i assume they do over anything. I know some who make a living at the game, i really wouldn't ever assume i was on a higher level at something then someone else so quickly in life. I'm also not asking a single soul to inconvenience themselves. A lot of burners already have there link to the other world setup ("FACT") and i would be more then generous in return to tap said link for a few hours Saturday afternoon.

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Sounds like you've got a good compromise letting your brother pick for you.

I will bet you, come draft time you don't even remember about it.. You'll be so immersed in the BM experience you'll totally forget.
)'(

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:43 pm

I'm nudging this over to Q&A, as it seems like that would be a better fit.

Woody Kusherman

Post by Woody Kusherman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:14 pm

Stickygreen wrote:Sounds like you've got a good compromise letting your brother pick for you.

I will bet you, come draft time you don't even remember about it.. You'll be so immersed in the BM experience you'll totally forget.
If my bro was any good at fantasy football id feel a lot better about leaving my team to be in his hands, lol
Not about the team though, all about connecting with my friends in that way. I'm not going to miss BM for it, but technically it's more of a annual tradition with me and my buddies then BM. No disrespect to the man to be burned. I'll be plenty immersed all night long, at 1 on Saturday afternoon though, i'll be itching to draft :twisted:

thirt33n

Post by thirt33n » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:27 pm

...have a great time

too bad you friends can't do their draft on monday, tuesday, wednesday or thursday before the first game in order to include the guy in the desert who loves connecting with them so much.
i feel lucky to have friends that are so considerate and flexible.

it's not like you won't be connecting with them all week every week until you get bounced from the playoffs because your two starting rb's are on the ir and your qb is throwing the ball to the other team and your dst is a sieve and and and and

have a great time...

later
blow.

Woody Kusherman

Post by Woody Kusherman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:40 pm

What kind of sad little douchebag comes here and rags on others like he knows them inside and out? You don't know me kid, you don't know my friends either. Do you know anyone else rude enough to insult someones friends that they've never met? I mean other then the douchebag you see in the mirror every Monday morning when you realize you suck at this game, and just don't have the patience to really know who to start the day before. Ya i can throw rocks too caveman, your mindlessness bores me though :roll: get over yourself, your way is fine for you, don't hate on me because i would plan to do both, and you cant even contemplate how to do both.

thirt33n

Post by thirt33n » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:42 pm

HA HA! SO predictable.

have fun, bud. !!
blow.

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:47 pm

supposed to be some wifi @ Center Camp. go early am or late pm.
don't forget to floss

thirt33n

Post by thirt33n » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:49 pm

Woody Kusherman wrote:True, and i feel lame asking
...guess what? you ARE lame. :P
blow.

ZenoBoy

Post by ZenoBoy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:29 pm

By Saturday, you're kind of hosed. You might be lucky to get an email out after about 10 tries and even that will take several minutes to clear your outbox. Come saturday the wifi at center camp is saturated since the city is at capacity the day of the burn.

A phone call will be dodgy at best. Depending on your carrier you will get a stronger signal if you ride out towards the gate or even out in walk in camping but there again you have 52K people in one place and a bunch of those people are trying to get word out to their loved ones too on a very limited system not meant for that many people.

If you are adamant about connecting with your friends and participating in the draft then you'd be wise to rent a sat phone or walk around searching for localized wifi in your neighborhood, find out who owns it and then get on your knees and beg them to let you use their internet connection for your draft.

Good luck.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:39 pm

Actually, there are times that I might. But this isn't one of them. I think it's a legit question. Tell anyone that doesn't like what you post to go Fuck their day! :)
Woody Kusherman wrote:What kind of sad little douchebag comes here and rags on others like he knows them inside and out? You don't know me kid, you don't know my friends either. Do you know anyone else rude enough to insult someones friends that they've never met? I mean other then the douchebag you see in the mirror every Monday morning when you realize you suck at this game, and just don't have the patience to really know who to start the day before. Ya i can throw rocks too caveman, your mindlessness bores me though :roll: get over yourself, your way is fine for you, don't hate on me because i would plan to do both, and you cant even contemplate how to do both.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Woody Kusherman

Post by Woody Kusherman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:03 pm

I'm looking at renting a sat phone, and way too high :mrgreen: to let the haters that cant juggle even the thought of BM and a fantasy football draft, bring me down. I'd never ask my friends to move this, its done this time every year at the commish's home, sucks to be missing it, but if i could call in for a few hours it'd be sweet. I crush these guys every year. We've been friends and doing it for 5 years now, this will be the 6th. I've won 3 out of the 5 seasons. I only even met all my friends because i won a 500 person radio station fantasy football contest. $500 bucks was all i needed to move across the country and start a life, and there were a lot more haters back then, so i don't even know why they try anymore :twisted:

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:13 pm

It might be cutting it close timewise but you could take the shuttle into Gerlach where there is decent cell reception. I believe Sat is the last day of the shuttle the hours are 10-2PM. If 2pm if the last shuttle out of BRC, I'm guessing it would be heading back sometime between 2:30 and 3PM since it travels on to Empire waits a bit and then comes back to Gerlach and finally BRC. Conceivably you could get the noon bus out, hang in Gerlach, and then get the 2PM bus return trip back.

Typically how long does a draft take?

It may be an option, check with the bus depot folk right behind center camp (ring and 6:00)

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... rvice.html
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Woody Kusherman

Post by Woody Kusherman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:27 pm

I was thinking about that,.. read something said the cell service wasn't that good though, better I'm sure you're right, but i don't even think i'll attempt this unless i could test it out a day or so before and make sure i'll be able to have some sort of reliable back and forth, not take 5 minutes a message or call or wifi keep dropping decent type connection. Oh and a draft takes a few hours, sometimes 4 or more, we got this one guy can never decide and times out almost every pick, it's hysterical.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:30 pm

Yep, it's the last day. John and I are volunteering there that day.
Sic Pup wrote:It might be cutting it close timewise but you could take the shuttle into Gerlach where there is decent cell reception. I believe Sat is the last day of the shuttle the hours are 10-2PM. If 2pm if the last shuttle out of BRC, I'm guessing it would be heading back sometime between 2:30 and 3PM since it travels on to Empire waits a bit and then comes back to Gerlach and finally BRC. Conceivably you could get the noon bus out, hang in Gerlach, and then get the 2PM bus return trip back.

Typically how long does a draft take?

It may be an option, check with the bus depot folk right behind center camp (ring and 6:00)

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... rvice.html
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

thirt33n

Post by thirt33n » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:35 pm

Woody Kusherman wrote:Oh and a draft takes a few hours, sometimes 4 or more, we got this one guy can never decide and times out almost every pick, it's hysterical.
that shit IS hysterical. (sarcasm)

how's that motorized stingray comin' along?
blow.

Woody Kusherman

Post by Woody Kusherman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:06 pm

whatever helps you sleep tonight hater, punch away little man

thirt33n wrote:
Woody Kusherman wrote:Oh and a draft takes a few hours, sometimes 4 or more, we got this one guy can never decide and times out almost every pick, it's hysterical.
that shit IS hysterical. (sarcasm)

how's that motorized stingray comin' along?

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”