What is a yahoo

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

What is a yahoo

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:23 pm

Saw a thread that called someone a "yahoo"... what does that mean?

Mithra

Post by Mithra » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:27 pm

See Gomer....spectator....etc.

Mithra

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:28 pm

Something that just comes out spontaneously at the end of a staff meeting?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

chickenfish

Post by chickenfish » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:00 pm

someone unclear on th concept
chickenfish chickenfish you are not a pelican
chickenfish chickenfish your love is like a flea
chickenfish chickenfish your fins are so delicate
chickenfish chickenfish chicken of the sea

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:51 pm

someone unclear on th concept
As succinct a description as any I've read.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:23 pm

Thought it was a service that offered free email accounts in exchange for the change to bombard you with pop-up ads.
Be the change you seek in the world.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:45 pm

Ok i get it...... A person devoid of any glimpse of a clue

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:12 pm

The mating call "Show me your tits" is one of the yahoo's more distinctive characteristics. Reaching for a camera in the presence of topless women is another. While the male yahoo can often be identified by his brilliant yet unimaginitive store-bought costume (plummage), the female yahoo (considered somewhat more rare) can be spotted, often on the Esplanade on Fri. or Sat. night, hands on hips and loudly asking/complaining, "Where do you get a drink around here?"

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

From Gullivers Travels

Post by robbidobbs » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:57 pm

The origin of the term "yahoo" comes from Gullivers Travels. Here is his first encounter with them:

Their shape was very singular and deformed, which a little discomposed me, so that I lay down behind a thicket to observe them better. Some of them coming forward near the place where I lay, gave me an opportunity of distinctly marking their form. Their heads and breasts were covered with a thick hair, some frizzled and others lank; they had beards like goats, and a long ridge of hair down their backs and the foreparts of their legs and feet, but the rest of their bodies were bare, so that I might see their skins, which were of a brown buff color. They had no tails, nor any hair at all on their buttocks, except about the anus; which, I presume, nature had placed there to defend them as they sat on the ground; for this posture they used, as well as lying down and often stood on their hind feet. They climbed high trees, as nimbly as a squirrel, for they had strong extended claws before and behind, terminating in sharp points, and hooked. They would often spring and bound and leap with prodigious agility. The females were not so large as the males; they had long lank hair on their heads, but none on their faces, nor anything more than a sort of down on the rest of their bodies, except about the anus, and pudenda. Their dugs hung between their forefeet, and often reached almost to the ground as they walked. The hair of both sexes was of several colors, brown, red, black, and yellow. Upon the whole, I never beheld in all my travels so disagreeable an animal, nor one against which I naturally conceived so strong an antipathy. So that thinking I had seen enough, full of contempt and aversion, I got up and pursued the beaten road, hoping it might direct me to the cabin of some Indian. I had not got far when I met one of these creatures full in my way, and coming up directly to me. The ugly monster, when he saw me, distorted several ways every feature of his visage, and stared as at an object he had never seen before; then approaching nearer, lifted up his forepaw, whether out of curiosity or mischief, I could not tell. But I drew my hanger, and gave him a good blow with the flat side of it, for I dare not strike him with the edge, fearing the inhabitants might be provoked against me, if they should come to know that I had killed or maimed any of their cattle. When the beast felt the smart, he drew back, and roared so loud that a herd of at least forty came flocking about me from the next field, howling and making odious faces; but I ran to the body of a tree, and leaning my back against it, kept them off by waving my hanger. Several of this cursed brood getting hold of the branches behind, leaped up into the tree, from where they began to discharge their excrements on my head; however, I escaped pretty well, by sticking close to the stem of the tree, but was almost stifled with the filth, which fell about me on every side.

Re: From Gullivers Travels

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:47 am

[quote="robbidobbs"]The origin of the term "yahoo" comes from Gullivers Travels. ....... they began to discharge their excrements on my head; quote]

Holy Shit Robbidobbs... is it for real.... discarging thier excrements....that isn't really in Gullivers travels.... is it.... I definetly won't be reading that to my daughter then.... would need a dictionary and a better control of the english language to explain that one

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:49 am

Dog's bollix.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Lydia Love

Post by Lydia Love » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:30 am

someone who drives around in their pickup truck to ogle naked women.

someone who brings extra beer instead of water. in glass bottles. and then drops them like a trail all over the playa.

someone whose expectation of community generosity outstrips their own self-reliance.

someone who thinks the price of their ticket should ensure them a good seat at the burn.

someone who says "but, you HAVE to give me a glowstick! it's burning man!"

someone who throws on a feather boa and then hassles the DPW for being "spectators" because they are not in costume.
It's all about the squirrels.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:21 pm

Lydia, we've known each other for a while now; you're not referring to me again are you?

Doc

Lydia Love

Post by Lydia Love » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:14 pm

i have yet to see you in a feather boa.
It's all about the squirrels.

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:49 am

Wilde One...Gulliver's Travels <u>is not</u> a "childrens' story," anymore than Mallory's <i>La Morte D'Arthur</i>, or <i>Watership Down</i> are. It's actually a scathing satire of the world affairs and state of "civilization" in Swift's time, as he perceived it. In particular he takes some nasty jabs at the mental health profession.

The Yahoos were actually a rather uncharitable lampoon of humanity in general; and at the end of the book, when Lemuel Gulliver goes into the courtroom to plead his case for release from the asylum he'd been stuck in, he says, "I will not enter this chambre. It is full of Yahoos."

There's this idiotic tendency in Western culture that assumes that anything fantastical, fanciful and whimsical is "for children." What a pile of fly-infested, tin-plated Yahoo excreta...! And then they complain when the stories take a turn for the dark and uncomfortable.

Stick with Ogden Nash and maybe C.S. Lewis, then you only have to explain away the odd scene of wine-drinking and maybe some threatened cannibalism. Leave the Gulliver's Travels until the kid's reached adolescence and their English Lit teacher assigns it ;)
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:22 am

Alice In Wonderlands author was Alice's uncle. He had the hots for Alice. Check Nortons Readers Review.(Alice under ground)
Also he was a drug addict. ie: the little bottle on the table that changed her,The magic mushroom "one side makes you taller and one side makes you smaller" and a host of other references to drugs. Only a true stoner could come up with that much. I love the book.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:19 am

diane o'thirst wrote: There's this idiotic tendency in Western culture that assumes that anything fantastical, fanciful and whimsical is "for children." What a pile of fly-infested, tin-plated Yahoo excreta...! And then they complain when the stories take a turn for the dark and uncomfortable.
I'm not sure this is true of all "Western Culture." Certainly England/America. Probably German. Less sure of French, and I think Spanish/Italian get out there. When you get to the Slavs--all bets are off. Although, perhaps Slavs aren't western.

Sloan

Post by Sloan » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:07 pm

I honestly don't think it's up to any of you folks to decided what behaivior is suitable for the playa.

I bet every one of you did something stupid your first time. And I bet most of you continue to be stupid if this is how you really feel.

You have elistist attitudes. Huh?

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm sure lots of of B-Man attendees suffered from in high school...being called out and labeled some kind of bad name because they didn't fit it...only now, the nerds have got their own club and their own stupid elist rules to label people with.

Yeah, way to foster community, folks. Exclusion. You are very brave.
Hmmm...now that Burning Man has behavior protocal and elitism...what's next.

Sloan

Post by Sloan » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:08 pm

I honestly don't think it's up to any of you folks to decided what behaivior is suitable for the playa.

I bet every one of you did something stupid your first time. And I bet most of you continue to be stupid if this is how you really feel.

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm sure lots of of B-Man attendees suffered from in high school...being called out and labeled some kind of bad name because they didn't fit it...only now, the nerds have got their own club and their own stupid elist rules to label people with.

Sloan

Post by Sloan » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:10 pm

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm sure lots of of B-Man attendees suffered from in high school...being called out and labeled some kind of bad name because they didn't fit it...only now, the nerds have got their own club and their own stupid elitist rules to label people with.

"Yahoo: Burning Man elitists who dictate what is and isn't cool."

Sloan

Post by Sloan » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:16 pm

(Second Definition) Yahoo: People who post the same message three times in a row, with one edited.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:23 pm

Sloan wrote:I honestly don't think it's up to any of you folks to decided what behaivior is suitable for the playa.

/\
Him sounds like him got hims little feely hurt.

Maybe he will sell his ticket to some one that would not be CALLING NAME & POINTING FINGERS
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:36 pm

Yahoo: People who post the same message three times in a row, with one edited.
Yeah but self-deprecation is a good antidote for it.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:46 pm

Sloan wrote:I honestly don't think it's up to any of you folks to decided what behaivior is suitable for the playa.

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm sure lots of of B-Man attendees suffered from in high school...being called out and labeled some kind of bad name because they didn't fit it...only now, the nerds have got their own club and their own stupid elitist rules to label people with.

"Yahoo: Burning Man elitists who dictate what is and isn't cool."
So are you advocating warmly embracing people who smuggle stow-a-ways, don't clean up after themselves, dose women, mooch off others, kick up dust by speeding and narrowly miss running people over? If we can't vent on the eplaya, then where?

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:08 pm

Methinks me smells a troll.

That or his parachute is made of cheesecloth.
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

Sloan

Post by Sloan » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:12 pm

Heh...this is my seventh year. I have seen you all. I have heard you all. I know protocol. I just feel like it's a little silly for you to decide what is good/bad/and everything else then sum it up with your little name (yahoo) then sit smugly atop your burning stools at marvel at how very well behaved you all are, as opposed to those less educated in the art of "burning." You'd all be better off starting a playa education camp, than labeling people, ya smug-wads. Ha! I just did it, too!

sparkletarte

~

Post by sparkletarte » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:27 pm

I'm a yahoo
You're a yahoo
He's a yahoo
She's a yahoo
Wouldn't you like to be a yahoo too?
Be a yahoo, oooo, be a yahoo.
Be a yahoo, oooo, be a yahoo.

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:09 pm

Not a troll. No way. Just doesn't give off that odor. 'Course, he's dead wrong 'bout not judging, but he's not a troll.

I think what we're talking about when we say 'yahoo' is not someone who doesn't bring enough suntan lotion their first year. It's way past that. It's doing stuff that you should know enough to do/not to do before hitting the playa. But that's kinda vague. In practice, I've seen very few true, 100% yahoos. I think it's often just too much alcohol.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:18 pm

If someone steals a bike, are they a yahoo? If someone steals a generator, then do they earn the title? What about the people who put MOOP in the porta potties?

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:27 pm

Which brings up an interesting point. There are worse things that being a yahoo. A thief for one. Retardomundo is another.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”