Reassurance, please...

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Blonde Iguana

Reassurance, please...

Post by Blonde Iguana » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:40 am

Anyone out there have some good suggestions for calming down a virgin burner who is camping with other virgins (the blind leading the blind) shrieking awake at 3:00 AM in a total heart-racing freak-out saying "What the hell was I thinking?" "Do I have everything?" "There's so much left to do!" "Fuck, I'm out of money!" "What if my tent blows away!" "I do WHAT with the rebar?" "Will I get lost?" I'm scared shitless!!! (massively excited too, of course).
How we live each day is, of course, how we live our lives.

sparkletarte

~

Post by sparkletarte » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:53 am

I'm a greener too. I say just make your list and check it twice. I also have lots of other things planned for August so there's some distractions. Have confidence in your planning ability and know that you've done your research, you've got everything covered, and you'll be okay. If you're a worrier, them you'll worry regardless. Maybe check into some herbal chill pills.

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:02 am

It's kind of like jumping into water for the first time - no matter how much you prepare for it is still a shock. But once you are there, it is great fun. Just remember, everyone that has ever gone was in your same situation once - we all survived and so will you. See you on the Playa!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Reassurance, please...

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:05 am

Blonde Iguana wrote:Anyone out there have some good suggestions for calming down a virgin burner who is camping with other virgins (the blind leading the blind) shrieking awake at 3:00 AM in a total heart-racing freak-out saying
Sooner or later someone's gotta say "Don't go to sleep before 5 am." Consider it said.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:42 am

Just tell them there are lots of idiots who go and still survive. So they should be well ahead of the curve.

(Not saying that your friends are idiots, just that even unprepared clueless still seem to get through it somehow.
Be the change you seek in the world.

Blonde Iguana

Post by Blonde Iguana » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:17 am

Thanks to you all for patting my hand and calming my fears. I am as prepared as I can be (still only have to acquire a few small things and yes, all of my rebar).

Worry is a waste of the imagination, after all (I think that's a Ghandi quote). Perfectly good imagination that I could be re-channeling into my costume and camp decor...

Lostfolio

Post by Lostfolio » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:28 pm

I think you guys should panic. I mean work on achieving a sustained level of full on coniption freak out. Once you have all your anxiety nice and bubbling, start thinking about cops, terrorists, the government, asteroids and food poisoning. See how fast you can get your heart racing. Is the blood constantly roaring in your ears? Holy shit, why not? At this point you should be really funny looking and sweaty. And that's what's important.

And this above all else: To thine own self (and thy own checklist) be true And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man. Farewell; my blessing season this in thee!
Love pussy, hate Bush

PurpleKoosh
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Re: Reassurance, please...

Post by PurpleKoosh » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:35 pm

Blonde Iguana wrote:Anyone out there have some good suggestions for calming down a virgin burner who is camping with other virgins (the blind leading the blind) shrieking awake at 3:00 AM in a total heart-racing freak-out saying "What the hell was I thinking?" "Do I have everything?" "There's so much left to do!" "Fuck, I'm out of money!" "What if my tent blows away!" "I do WHAT with the rebar?" "Will I get lost?" I'm scared shitless!!! (massively excited too, of course).
Is it any consolation to know that some of us who have been before are panicking over the same things? This is my second year, but my first actually responsible for getting myself to the playa, so I'm lying awake at night going "Jesus, what the fuck will I do if the car breaks down?" "Should I get new tires before I go?" "How the hell am I going to strap my tricycle to the roof?" Etc., etc., etc.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:10 pm

I shouldn't give away trade secrets - this will be my fifth year, so I'm not exactly a rookie, but I'm hardly a seasoned vet. And the following is just from what I've personally observed, and is my own personal slant... IF you do your best to cover your own asses AND you try to bring a positive attitude wrt your neighbors and/or the 'community'; you can pretty much stop worrying about the little shit now. We'll cover your butt. I'm not talkin' about a free ride. I'll expect you to help me stagger home.

I was not here. I did not say this.

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:53 pm

Sensei wrote:I shouldn't give away trade secrets - this will be my fifth year, so I'm not exactly a rookie, but I'm hardly a seasoned vet. And the following is just from what I've personally observed, and is my own personal slant... IF you do your best to cover your own asses AND you try to bring a positive attitude wrt your neighbors and/or the 'community'; you can pretty much stop worrying about the little shit now. We'll cover your butt. I'm not talkin' about a free ride. I'll expect you to help me stagger home.

I was not here. I did not say this.
dragonfly Jafe wrote:It's kind of like jumping into water for the first time - no matter how much you prepare for it is still a shock. But once you are there, it is great fun. Just remember, everyone that has ever gone was in your same situation once - we all survived and so will you. See you on the Playa!
What they said all though I wanted to add that sometimes the fear once up there can be good and totally fun. Especially a first quick dust storm (If you're lucky.) I know it was fun my first time and really broke the ice with my campmates. :P
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:11 pm

Ahh. The first dust storm. The sheer look of panic on my face, running for shelter which in my case turned out to be a very cool converted muni bus. I had a beer put in one hand, a cold margarita in the other and told to have a seat and you know, that dust storm wasn't that bad after a few drinks.

Anything that doesn't kill you will make you stronger and a little playa dust can be good for ya.

_tears_

Post by _tears_ » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:14 pm

I went for the first time last year with a friend who had also never gone. We ended up fine...and having WAY too much stuff.

Just take a deep breath, smile and enjoy. If you can even fathom of attending the event the must have an adventuresome bone in your body, you are taking a step out of the box and doing something adventures. It will be a blast and you will have the memory of it forever.

YOU WILL BE FINE!!!!

Much Playa love,
Tears
[size=84][color=red]
Tears 2003, 2004
[/color][/size]
[size=100][color=darkred]
The Ties That Bind Me Hold My Soul
[/color][/size]

Burp!

Post by Burp! » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:01 pm

All you need to worry about is Food, Water, Shelter and Sunblock the rest is a matter of comfort. You'll figure it out in matter of seconds and see it's a go at your own pace kinda place. Nothing to stress about

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:45 pm

DVD Burner wrote:... Especially a first quick dust storm (If you're lucky.) I know it was fun my first time and really broke the ice with my campmates. :P
Tancorix wrote:Ahh. The first dust storm.
The first paste! There's nothing quite like that first pasting.

calsur

Post by calsur » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:04 pm

Blonde Iguana

Did you get the memo on the desert rats that only eat virgin burners toes? Seems the rats only go after the virgins because the vets are too dried out.

Yes, going through all the same angst. Take care of the basics and then worry about the fun stuff. Lists are GOOD.

dzrtrat67

Post by dzrtrat67 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:07 pm

[quote="calsur"]Blonde Iguana

Did you get the memo on the desert rats that only eat virgin burners toes? Seems the rats only go after the virgins because the vets are too dried out.

I resemble that remark!

Rat

Blonde Iguana

Post by Blonde Iguana » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:18 am

dzrtrat67 wrote:
calsur wrote:Blonde Iguana
Seems the rats only go after the virgins because the vets are too dried out.
Rat
A dab of KY and some estrogen, and maybe the rats will be nibbling at your juicy digits once again.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”