Another newbie question...

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Fat SAM

Another newbie question...

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:06 pm

Can I bring my camcorder and have it not be a useless wad of metal and plastic at the end of the week? Will it die for sure? If I can bring it, do you guys have any tips on how to keep it safe?

Muchas Gracias.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:07 pm

OK. And this is a REALLY stupid question...

Where can I find a map of the city?

Burp!

Post by Burp! » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:19 pm

Your video camera is going to end up with playa dust in every nook and cranny that is exposed, so think of something that you can seal around the camera.

One thing to note, you're camera will need to be registered with the BM folks as well afterwards you will want to be repectfull of the people you may film. Not everyone wants to be on camera. Ask.

As to a Map http://www.burningman.com/preparation/m ... index.html

Go through the theme camp locations http://www.burningman.com/themecamps_in ... p_List.htm and map the camps you want to see on the above map. there will prbably be some sort of map passed out at the gate, but don't count on it to have what you are looking for

NoFlash

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:11 pm

Thanks, dude, you rock...I appreciate the help. As for filming people, yeah, of course I'd ask. I'm not interested in making a booby movie. I'd really like to film the burn, though!

Anyone have any experience wrapping camcorders? Any tips?

stuart

Post by stuart » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:08 pm

Sam, my advice to you, on your rookie outing, would be to leave the camera at home.

two reasons

first, it's supposed to be a frightfully dusty year and, having not been there, you are just gonna be ill equipped to deal with it.

second, and most important, live the event fully first rather than diverting your attention by trying to document it. In so many situations I see people, in the middle of amazing things, viewing them through a 3 inch lcd panel rather than with their own unobstructed eyes. The field of view of the camera is not nearly as broad, the color as rich, the detail as sharp as your unfiltered perception. Don't reduce your experience. Pick your head up, look around you. It's way more than the camera can capture.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:09 pm

That's a good point, Stuart. I think you're exactly right.

Can I call you Stu?

sgrunspa

i second that

Post by sgrunspa » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:54 pm

my first year I brought a video camera and a digital still. i never took the video camera out of the bag, and I was so caught up in the moment, I took very few still pictures, relatively speaking. in fact most of my pictures are when I was board and there was nothing to see or do. I have a lot of dust storm pics come to think of it.
time wounds all heels - groucho marx

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:37 pm

I may be the only one, but this will be my fifth burn, and I have yet to even bring a camera.

I can't prove any of it ever happened. And that has some good points...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

pokiedot

Re: i second that

Post by pokiedot » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:48 pm

sgrunspa wrote:my first year I brought a video camera and a digital still. i never took the video camera out of the bag, and I was so caught up in the moment, I took very few still pictures, relatively speaking. in fact most of my pictures are when I was board and there was nothing to see or do. I have a lot of dust storm pics come to think of it.

i totally relate.. every year i make a resolution to actually take pictures next year. my burning man pictures never reflect my experience. as soon as i put a camera up to my face, i seem to fall into this automatic pilot tourist state.. i end up taking pictures of what i "should" take pictures of; the big art, the man burning, etc. but i never take enough pictures of the things that i really go home remembering; the guy who gave me ice cream, the look of my friends' face as they jump on a trampoline, and, for god's sake, i always forget to take pictures of my own camp!

and that last one seems to be a common blunder. go to any theme camp's website, click on their photo gallery, and it will be photos of everything but their camp.

so, anyways, getting off my tangent: take a cheapy camera. take pictures of the little things that made you happy, and leave it to the professionals to take pictures of the big stuff. you'll find plenty of wonderful photos of the art you loved on the site.

-j

Dave

Photos of the little things.

Post by Dave » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:19 pm

Hi fat SAM.
Ya know what I think? I think fer sure you should take your video camera to tape the burn. In 2001 I only had my Canon still camera and got some absolutely incredible shots of the dust devils dancing with the burning Man. My stills are so fantastic that they look like special effects. People I show them to think I made double-exposures or something. You gotta take your video camera (in my estimation) to get the burn. Who knows what will happen in 2004? The others are right about not getting carried away by trying to capture all the BIG art installations. However, my advice is to use a small still camera now and then to capture the PEOPLE you meet and the small items that you find amazing. The big art installations will be posted all over the internet and you do not need those photos. But, over the years, you will really appreciate the fact that you have a small permanent remembrance of the neat people you encountered at Burning Man. Like Pokiedot said "Take pictures of the LITTLE things that made you happy." So true, so true.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:45 pm

Yeah, but how do you keep the thing covered yet usable - I guess I could just take it out for the burn, or like you guys say - when I find something I really really love...

I saw on another post someone mentioned people who steal stuff while others are away from their campsites. How common is theft?

Dave

Post by Dave » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:02 pm

Hey fat SAM
Stop worrying! Your camera will get covered in gray alkali dust and it will never come off. I have a black-bodied camera that to this day is stained with Black Rock dust, but I love it just the same.
The dust is so fine that it will not hurt your camera (internal laugh, cackle, and howling), so don't worry about it. How much did you pay for your camera in the first place?
:roll:

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:22 pm

It's like a $500 digital video camera. I don't think I'm bringing it...You have not instilled me with much confidence.

Burnmudgeon

Shoot the Burn!

Post by Burnmudgeon » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:12 pm

Bring it. Just shoot the burn, then wrap it up. Its all good.
Excelsior!

pokiedot

Post by pokiedot » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:46 am

Fat SAM wrote:It's like a $500 digital video camera. I don't think I'm bringing it...You have not instilled me with much confidence.
i'm still of the opinion that you should leave it home, but i just thought i'd pass on this:

http://tinyurl.com/4vw32

i was thinking about bringing my digital this year, using one of these things. i decided against it.. i know that even with the case, i'd just be too stressed about it, but it's an option.

and, as far as theft, poke around in eplaya and you'll find plenty of threads about people's experiences with theft. i think it certainly be safe locked in your car, though.

MrChevere

Post by MrChevere » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:13 am

i took a camera, shot a couple of rolls. i think i only got one photo that was even close to half as good as the worst photo i've seen posted by other people afterwards. there are shots of everything i wanted to remember and a lot of things i never got around to seeing in the first place.

i'm taking a disposable this year just in case i want some personal shots.
It was like this when I got here, honest.

Silver 2

Post by Silver 2 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:43 am

Completely my opinion. Do not take a camera to your first Burn. Take one to Burning Man and take pictures. But on Burn night leave it home, get there early and watch the crowd assemble and then let the whole thing wash over you. I don't believe that anyone can truly do that with a camera (of whatever sort) stuck to their face. Note, I include those horrible little screens used as view finders.
I like playing with fire.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”