Fidget wrote:I learned that crazy glue works wonders on minor flesh wounds!
Typically the only major difference between store bought cyanoacrylate glues (krazy, super, etc) and surgical grade liquid stitches is the solvent used. The store bought stuff tends to use methyl alcohol as opposed to ethyl alcohol. That's the stuff that can cause health problems like blindness in extreme cases. Fortunately, the way you treat methyl alcohol poisoning is pretty straightforward, you administer ethyl alcohol.
In layman's terms, if you have to krazy glue shut a major wound you'd better drink up.
Fossa: There is no solvent used in superglue (cyanoacrylate). It doesn't need a solvent because it works by water-catalyzed polymerization. Pull any MSDS sheet and you will see no ethanol/methanol listed. The reason for this is ETOH and MEOH are both very hygroscopic (absorb water from the air). This behavior is exactly what you do not want in a product that is already aggressively hygroscopic and only requires a few dozen milligrams/liter to polymerize. You don't want the customer to open the cap for a minute and then have the entire tube go hard a day later. This is what ETOH/MEOH would give you in spades. Further, it's darned near impossible to get moisture-free alcohol, so just adding the stuff to the glue would cause it to fire before it ever got bottled. So not only doesn't super glue contain either alcohol, it can not contain it
The only "solvent" in superglue is actually a stabilizer (hydroquinone) and it's just a tiny fraction of the total volume. It's a weak scavenger designed to keep the glue from firing in the tube.
Next point: the dermal toxicity of methanol (17,000 mg/kg) is about twice that of isopropyl (31,000 mg/kg). Why is this comparison important? Because you can buy isopropyl by the gallon at any pharmacy... for direct application to human skin
. It's called "rubbing alcohol" for this reason, and every diabetic in the world spends a few minutes each day basically soaking in it. Toxicity via the dermal route for either ETOH or MEOH is almost unheard-of.
Finally, the only difference between WalMart "crazy glue" and the stuff used by surgeons (other than a long review process and a ton of FDA paperwork), is the consumer superglues use either a methylacrylate or an ethylacrylate base, while most FDA-approved glues use an octylacrylate (or in some places a butylacrylate) to prevent possible irritation. (Note that in other countries, including much of the EU, ALL THREE are approved for human and veterinary use. Only butylacrylate isn't approved anywhere anymore to my knowledge, and this was strictly an irritation problem and not a toxicity problem).
So, by all means booze it up if you want to (and this may be good advice as a pain-relief.. hehehehe...) but since there isn't any alcohol of any kind in superglue, (and assuming there could be, with the dermal LD-50 of MEOH sitting at a whopping 17,000 mg/kg), there is absolutely no chance whatsoever of getting enough on you to allow methanol toxicity to occur.