Low income people not allowed?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
salenaluna

Low income people not allowed?

Post by salenaluna » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:43 am

My 1rst year at Burning Man was '93 and I planned the meals and shopped for the only 2 bands and friends, (23 people) that year for a ticket. Of course, tickets were only $23 for a 3 day festival. It was only $5 a day for 3 meals a day. In '95 I brought the band I was in, Galaxxy Chamber and we all got free tickets.BM '96 was more of a challenge. A week long BM with a camp that was mixed veggie/meat and I planned a different dinner theme each night. I also had a camp that grew each day so I had to calculate accordingly. I was cooking for 50, (with only 2 assistants) and all the people eating in my kitchen were the organizers and main performers, Crimson Rose, Seemen, Sisters of P.I., Space Cowgirls, Hernan, the only soundman at that time, Burning Man builders and more and they would show up only when dinner was ready. It was quite the challenge! After that, I quit cooking for huge groups and joined the first BM drum collective, (I was the 3rd member). We performed at the benefits under Crimson, who was the art director at that time got tickets that way. Then, it got harder and harder to get a ticket as the event grew and the competition with it. In 2002, I applied for the fire conclave and this year as well thinking that maybe....I got no reponse. 3 months ago I started investigating becoming a volunteer for a ticket and was told no way. I was told about discount tickets at that time for volunteers but had no money. I wasn't going to go but then I started working parttime a few weeks ago. I just heard a while back that there were discount tickets for low income folks and when I asked about it, I was told NO WAY. I can only come up with $350 total to spend this year as I had to pay off some debts. I was recently unemployed for 8 months with no compensation and went into debt. However, in 2000, I went with only $40 to spend on food and survived for 2 weeks. (With lots of donations!) The other night I heard if you come to the desert and work alot in certain areas, partial compensation would be available. Is this just another viscious rumour? My other question is has this event become so expensive that low income people can no longer go without a struggle? (This will be my 10th year and I missed last year because I couldn't afford it). I lost my job and home this year and a recent breakup and the playa is the only medicine that will work. I'm trying so hard to figure out a way...Any advice? Salena Luna
We need 2 cheap or free tickets! Will trade devoted labor or pay around $100.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:38 am

check out ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 78886&rd=1

you may have to cut and paste the link

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:39 am

Sorry, meant that as a pm. oops.

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:03 am

I believe low-income ticket applications have to be in by sometime in June, if I'm not mistaken. Just keep an eye on the ticket forum. There are a lot of people selling off cheaper tickets right now (I know, cause I'm looking for one for my sister), and if you're vigilant enough you should be able to snag one. Here's hoping I see you out there.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:29 am

I started investigating becoming a volunteer for a ticket and was told no way.
The idea of 'volunteering' to work for a ticket is being discouraged. There's many with the idea (and I'm one of them) that volunteering is just that. Freely giving your time with no expectation of any reward for doing so. Working for the sake of getting in free is considered to be a form of commerce and is viewed as being somewhat antithetical to the event.

bdongray

Gift community

Post by bdongray » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:03 pm

Every year I see a few people by the box office asking for donations to buy a ticket. If everyone gave one of them $1, then with 30000 people, that would pay for 85 "free" tickets to people who've managed to make it there (eg with another burner). But I hope they brought food, water, shelter, and some gifts though. I don't think it's right to come with nothing.

OR... go to the box office area, ask each vehicle if they have a spare ticket, and are they willing to sell it to you for $X (whatever you have) or maybe are willing to gift you a small amount (eg $1). Then you can ask the next vehicle for the higher amount you now have. Eventually you will find either someone who is willing to sell you their spare ticket for what you then have, or have enough to go to the box office.
--
Bryan

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:09 pm

Last year, there was a guy at the gate with nothing but a backpack (you know that didn't have supplies to last a week in it), trying to trade a nug of weed for a ticket. Just be smarter than that guy, and you should be fine.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:44 pm

OR... go to the box office area, ask each vehicle if they have a spare ticket, and are they willing to sell it to you for $X (whatever you have) or maybe are willing to gift you a small amount (eg $1). Then you can ask the next vehicle for the higher amount you now have.
Or... they can save up pretty much like everyone else and come back when they won't be a burden on the rest of the city. My experience has been that once these clutards make it into the city the begging doesn't stop there. Far worse are thos who do make it in and assume some distoreded interpretation of what the gifting thing is about. A good example are the one's who saunter into a camp and flat out ask "When's dinner?" fully expoecting to be fed, watered and ploughed with alcohol.

No sympathy on this end for folks like that.

blyslv

Re: Low income people not allowed?

Post by blyslv » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:48 pm

salenaluna wrote: was recently unemployed for 8 months with no compensation and went into debt.
You lost me there. There is always work to do, even if it is not "dignified" or in your area of expertise, or even if it does not pay what you want.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:55 pm

My other question is has this event become so expensive that low income people can no longer go without a struggle? (This will be my 10th year and I missed last year because I couldn't afford it). I lost my job and home this year and a recent breakup and the playa is the only medicine that will work. I'm trying so hard to figure out a way...Any advice?
Short answer: no. It's still an event where anyone willing to make the committment to come gets in. Planning accordingly goes a ways towards insuring that you'll get there prepared.

I actually know of several folks in your position who are now having no problem getting to the event. The curious thread that runs through all of these folks is that they set a goal to get to Burning Man and did what they realized needed to be done to get there. Not once did I hear any one of them whine about their situation at any time throughout the year. They'll all be arriving on Monday at different times.

BTW, the thread title is a ridiculous assumption on your part. Just because you didn't plan accordingly has NOTHING what so ever to do with the the event discriminating due to economic circumstance. Speaking 'victimese' here will hardly get you sympathy or a ticket with this crowd.

Dork

Post by Dork » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:02 pm

Yeah.. the problem with giving out free tickets or letting them work it off is that for every person who is truly interested in giving their all to make the event the best it can be there's someone else who expects a free ride and will do as little as they can get away with. Telling those people apart in advance is difficult, which is why the playa teams that are still giving out tickets generally do it after the person has proven themselves. Work your ass off this year, maybe you'll get a ticket for next year.

Also, it is a form of commerce. If I were to sell an extra $165 ticket for $50 plus work, I'm essentially paying someone $110 to cook and clean for me during the event. If I were to put up a sign on Monday saying "Cook wanted. Will pay $110." people would scream commerce and drive me out of there. I'd also be taking that $165 ticket away from someone who was planning ahead and just missed the cutoff for that price level.

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:05 pm

blyslv wrote:
salenaluna wrote: was recently unemployed for 8 months with no compensation and went into debt.
You lost me there. There is always work to do, even if it is not "dignified" or in your area of expertise, or even if it does not pay what you want.
Nonsense! I've been there before. Sometimes either it's not in the cards or as in my case, most places just will not hire you for whatever the reason. It got to the point with me where I had to create my own work. I'm fortunate that way. More so than most.

(Sorry but I'm sensitive that way.)
[url=http://www.digicastinternational.com][img]http://76.14.56.240/digiweb/button10.jpg[/img][/url]

"[i][b]The art is in the digit![/b][/i]"

[url=http://eplaya.burningman.com/search.php?search_author=THE+ORIGINAL+DIGIMAN]The Original Digiman[/url]

MissNev

Post by MissNev » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:10 pm

I've heard that they don't allow low income people to go to Hawaii either. They won't even answer my emails about volunteering. I plan for Burning Man as soon as I come back from the Playa. This is my vacation, and I treat it as such. I also volunteer (this year at the Cafe and Camparctica), but with no expectation of anything. Last year, I helped a burner get to the playa. She had hitchhiked from the Seattle area, she had very little money or resources, she had found a ticket online for a lesser amount, and packed her backpack full of water and top ramen. I was more than happy to help her get out there, because it was obvious that she was making an attempt.

Stormy

Post by Stormy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:09 pm

Well Salenaluna, this might circumstances conspiring for you to work on other things in your life other than going to BM this year. It sucks, but that is how life is. Unless of course, you want to work all those names you dropped and ask them about a ticket. Though it's a bit late in the game and I happen to know some of them are overwhelmed with emails and last minute details.
Be the change you seek in the world.

allanon2

the first event in 1989 a idiot showed up with nothing

Post by allanon2 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:02 pm

JezebelinHell wrote:Last year, there was a guy at the gate with nothing but a backpack (you know that didn't have supplies to last a week in it), trying to trade a nug of weed for a ticket. Just be smarter than that guy, and you should be fine.
no food,
1 quart fo water.
and no chages of clothes.
it was sad.
it might have been 1990 as my mind might be fading.

the guy spent the whole time muchign off people and he didnt even have a ride back.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:18 pm

...as my mind might be fading.
Dear Wrecks,

You elaborate on the obvious.

Kisses,

Iso

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:05 am

DVD Burner wrote: Nonsense! I've been there before. Sometimes either it's not in the cards or as in my case, most places just will not hire you for whatever the reason. It got to the point with me where I had to create my own work.
But DVD, that's the point. You were in a tight spot and apparently got up and did whatever you needed to do to get back up on your own.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

atossab

Post by atossab » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:49 pm

Last year, there was a guy at the gate with nothing but a backpack (you know that didn't have supplies to last a week in it), trying to trade a nug of weed for a ticket. Just be smarter than that guy, and you should be fine.
One of these guys ended up at my camp, mooching drinks and eating dinner with us. He and his friend were "on the road" and had hitchhiked there. When we found out they had snuk in somehow, we asked them not to come back anymore. The next morning, we woke up to find the one guy passed out on the playa with a bottle in his hand, next to our bar: he had drank up most of our liquor and was literally covered with an inch of playa dust. I thought he was dead. We had to force him to wake up and gave him some food and supplies, asked him to go away. He kept trying to crawl up into our tent to sleep. It was pretty disgusting. He neither contributed anything, nor participated, just ate and drank and passed out.

Please, don't come if you can't afford it. In 2000 I couldn't afford it, I can't imagine asking someone to pay my way... I mean, who the hell am I? And certainly, there are more important charity causes than going to Burning Man, or NOT going just this one time.

dj big E

lmao

Post by dj big E » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:46 pm

lmao :twisted: lmao.

Jordan 10-E
Burning Since: 2002

Post by Jordan 10-E » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:27 am

atossab wrote:
One of these guys ended up at my camp, mooching drinks and eating dinner with us. He and his friend were "on the road" and had hitchhiked there. When we found out they had snuk in somehow, we asked them not to come back anymore. The next morning, we woke up to find the one guy passed out on the playa with a bottle in his hand, next to our bar: he had drank up most of our liquor and was literally covered with an inch of playa dust. I thought he was dead. We had to force him to wake up and gave him some food and supplies, asked him to go away. He kept trying to crawl up into our tent to sleep. It was pretty disgusting. He neither contributed anything, nor participated, just ate and drank and passed out.

Please, don't come if you can't afford it. In 2000 I couldn't afford it, I can't imagine asking someone to pay my way... I mean, who the hell am I? And certainly, there are more important charity causes than going to Burning Man, or NOT going just this one time.
Oh hey that was me and my road buddy. I never thanked you for your liquor and that nice place to sleep in front of your bar. looking forward to hanging out again this year once I get past the fence.
10E

atossab

Post by atossab » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:15 pm

Yeah, well try to clean up a little this time. We could use a "runner". And I'm hiding the booze from your greedy ass.

dj big E

lmao

Post by dj big E » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:11 pm

lmao :twisted:

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:13 pm

Just remember to bring a bank statement and a copy of your 2003 tax return to the gate this year.

atossab

Post by atossab » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:08 pm

What I'm confused about is: if you've been to BM so many years, there's no way you don't have a bunch of stuff, at the very least a tent, a tarp,utensils, a cup and a sleeping bag. So if you buy a ticket and have a ride all you need is food and water which you should be able to come up with for 50-100 bucks. However, I don't know how you'll get to your part-time job when you get home with no bus money...

kiddo

Post by kiddo » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:46 pm

The next morning, we woke up to find the one guy passed out on the playa with a bottle in his hand, next to our bar: he had drank up most of our liquor and was literally covered with an inch of playa dust. I thought he was dead. We had to force him to wake up and gave him some food and supplies, asked him to go away. He kept trying to crawl up into our tent to sleep. It was pretty disgusting. He neither contributed anything, nor participated, just ate and drank and passed out.

That's just not fuckin' cool. I've once gone with very little, but I've gone with my friends who knew that I would contribute and wanted me to go as I'd done with them before and did not go with the intention of mooching off of other people's goodwill. I guess people just make the wrong damn assumption from hearing about the playa through the filtered views of others who don't know their ass from their elbow.

Last Real Burner

..........I'll take that in cash..................

Post by Last Real Burner » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:35 pm

Did you try setting him on fire? That would most certainly make most people leave, and probably not bother coming back. Funny how that works.

questionally,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

Badger

Post by Badger » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:05 am

Did you try setting him on fire? That would most certainly make most people leave...
You must have been reading our camp literature.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:23 am

At the risk of sounding elitist, I'm gonna say that BM is basically an expensive party that isn't wise to attend unless you have the disposable income to blow and still keep your bills paid.
The bit by MissNev about it being expensive to go to Hawaii was right on the mark.
Before the next Burn, you gotta get all your stuff ready, create your art, and make and put away enough money to finance it. I have a "Burning Man savings account", dump a few hunskies in it every month, and by the time August comes around I dump it into checking and go on my trip.

Burning Man isn't a right, no one owes it to you, you have to get it for yourself.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:20 am

BM 2004 preparation began for me when my wheels hit 447 during the Exodus. I worked my ass off all year socking away a bit of cash here, cutting back on beer and wine there, raiding after Halloween and Christmas sales, and more to get there. To me half the fun of BM is the prep before I go, people ask what I'm up to and I get to tell them about BM. Now I have a virtual team of family, friends, and even merchants who know me, know what I'm doing, and help me find things to make the trip successful. Those links to the community have helped me with other Non-BM projects too.

My point is there are no entitlements in the Black Rock Desert. If you want to go to BM, you have to earn it. Planning ahead saves money through discount tickets, or even applying for hardship tickets. You can buy your supplies cheaper. In short, this can be done, it takes sheer willpower and discipline to do it. TANSTAAFL . Quit your bitching, suck it up, plan ahead, and you can join us. If you want sympathy, sorry, on this subject you won't find any around me.

jlpc4004

Post by jlpc4004 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:44 am

"Burning Man isn't a right, no one owes it to you, you have to get it for yourself.'

That about sums it up! We save, organize and plan as soon as we get back in Sept. If anyone approached me for a "donation" (which did happen 2 yrs ago) they'd surely be sorry in just a few minutes after asking...

[/quote]

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”