Does anyone know what weather will be like Wed. midnt.-Sat?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
creativehorsegirl

Does anyone know what weather will be like Wed. midnt.-Sat?

Post by creativehorsegirl » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:11 pm

I read somewhere on here that it was going to rain until Thursday? Does anyone know? What shoes to bring for desert? I don't have extra money to buy exp. stuff anymore. still looking for cheap ticket. thanks
"Live without fear and success will follow you."

Mithra

Post by Mithra » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:15 pm

Um, no, no one "knows" what the weather will be on the playa, anyone who says they do is lying. If your not prepared for freezing cold, wicked hot, wind, rain mud and any combination there of. Your asking for trouble.

Please read the survival guide it speaks the truth...

Mithra

xevioso

Post by xevioso » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:40 pm

I hate to be so critical, but I've seen lots of responses like the above to basic questions people (myself included) have asked about the weather and even some other things. I think it is important that we are prepared for everything. Yes, be prepared for very hot and cold and dry and wet and windy and calm and light and dark conditions.

But the weather forecast, which is actually what I think the person wanted, (http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USLoca ... odnav=none)
seems to indicate that the rain the supposedly hit the playa this week and last is moving on and it will be less chances of storms in the area, and it's supposed to heat up a bit too. There arent any reliable forecasts out into the llatter part of next week yet.

Mithra

Post by Mithra » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:48 pm

I don't think your being critical at all. I didn't take it for a request for a forcast. Sounded like an accident waiting to happen, expecially since she doesn't have a ticket yet and packing for rain would be problematic.

Then again I may be reading into it. Though if it was a weather request a quick search would have revealed endless info much faster than posing the question.

I don't know about you, but I've been getting ready for months....still have some sewing and EL Wire to get to.

Happy Monday,
Mithra

creativehorsegirl

thanks

Post by creativehorsegirl » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:51 pm

thanks for replying. Ya, I just didn't even think about the rain as I was trying madly to prepare myself for the dust and heat and cold. Are the weather reports reliable? thanks for email. take care, Linda
"Live without fear and success will follow you."

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:13 am

There arent any reliable forecasts out into the latter part of next week yet.
that's because trying to predict that far out is nothing but conjecture. Rember also that just because things are finally clearing up on the playa (supposedly) by the end of the week doesn't mean that the weather won't change by early next week.

Its probably a hell of a lot smarter to prepare for every type of condition than to base your packing scheme on what any armchair meteorologist (including myself) might have to say.
Desert dogs drink deep.

xevioso

Post by xevioso » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:19 am

Each day closer to the burn is one more day + ~1 week the weather can be predicted. Of course it's not completely reliable, but weather predictions were really helpful to me last year, as I was checking the weather before I went pretty consistently, and it turned out to be pretty accurate.

I actually posted two weeks ago about this current weeks prediction being for a fair amount of rain and colder weather in general. It turns out that was roughly correct. The current weather is for clearing by this weekend and mostly sunny through the early part of next week. Personally I would rather it NOT rain at all while I'm there, although I know lots of people like mud...whatever floats yer boat. I will plan for everything, but all I was trying to say is, for me is it MUCH better going in knowing there is a pretty decent chance of rain or colder than normal weather than for me not to have ANY expectations.

czech1

Post by czech1 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:15 am

YES, there will be weather this year. I can hardly wait.

czech1

Post by czech1 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:23 am

I forgot to say, if you have any ski googles , bringem, also might suggest to keep clean dry dust free plya ware in sealed garbage bages for your daily . I wish I had thought of it last year.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”