One Item for BMan 2013 a Day

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by maladroit » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:12 pm

Martiansky wrote:
maladroit wrote:Stripped down the Beast to pack with white grease and properly torque all the bearings. Dropped the front wheel in the process and had to chase the ball bearings around the garage...anyway, got it all put back together and it rides easily 3x better. Will do the same for the second one soon. I'd consider it mandatory for anyone buying a Mongoose Beast for the playa; they don't assemble or grease these remotely close to the correct way.
That happened to me, too. Some of the bearings on the floor, some stuck inside the hub itself.
Sorry Maladroit...I shouldve mentioned that they were loose bearings in front.
The only thing I didnt take aprt was the bottom bracket.
I didn't take the bottom bracket completely apart, but loosened it enough to clean out some of the oil and pump in some grease, and of course adjust the tightness correctly. I think that made the most difference for sustained pedaling.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Martiansky wrote:TattooGoddess.....did Tom ever put the cruiser handlebars on his Beast?
Ive asked a couple times he must not see the posts.
I think Im gonna stick with the ones that came on mine.
I might swap them out. I've put about 30 miles on the bike so far and the forward lean is pretty tough on your hands with that straight handlebar. But the playa is different...you might ride 15 miles in a day, but stop to check something out every 1/4 mile.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:11 pm

ordered (military) black leather spats..The kind of leggings ATF and SWAT wear..
Should get them this weekend.. I'll punk them with metal bachelor buttons and replace the lacing with hair ties..

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:23 pm

maladroit wrote:...I might swap them out. I've put about 30 miles on the bike so far and the forward lean is pretty tough on your hands with that straight handlebar. But the playa is different...you might ride 15 miles in a day, but stop to check something out every 1/4 mile.
On-playa, comfort, or lack of comfort, adds up.

I find my Fat Beast much more relaxing with cruiser handle bars, and an adjustable stem. I can put the grips right where I want them.
For going up hills, pulling a trailer, or pushing through sand, what's really missing is a drop-back seat post, so I can pull against the handlebars like the crank-forward designs.
stock wheels, cruiser handlebars.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:27 pm

Canoe wrote:
maladroit wrote:...I might swap them out. I've put about 30 miles on the bike so far and the forward lean is pretty tough on your hands with that straight handlebar. But the playa is different...you might ride 15 miles in a day, but stop to check something out every 1/4 mile.
On-playa, comfort, or lack of comfort, adds up.

I find my Fat Beast much more relaxing with cruiser handle bars, and an adjustable stem. I can put the grips right where I want them.
For going up hills, pulling a trailer, or pushing through sand, what's really missing is a drop-back seat post, so I can pull against the handlebars like the crank-forward designs.
It looks like I no longer have time to do it, so it may be a project for next year...but my original plan was to cut off the bottom brackets of these two Beasts, drill out the rear hubs, fabricate new 3/4" axle front hubs, and build a two-seater quad. Hard to get more comfortable than that, with the big moon-buggy tires requiring no fancy shock absorbing measures.

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:42 pm

No not yet. He has a set of black ones. We have been busy trying to flip an apartment.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:21 pm

buddy bought a 7 1/2 day cooler from Gott , its made by rubbermaid . After he placed order the next day I relized we hadnt measured the door of the camper yet. Cooler is 20 1/2 wide and I measured door today and its 22" Whew :)

http://www.trondeal.com/Reviews/Rubberm ... Chest.html
Last edited by tatonka on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

tatonka

Post by tatonka » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:22 pm

Also cleaned camper today and found a 20 gal water tank , found the fill hole and drain :)
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:52 pm

100' fiberglass measuring tape on a reel, 5 dollars. Horn parts.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:55 pm

tatonka wrote:buddy bought a 7 1/2 day cooler from Gott , its made by rubbermaid . After he placed order the next day I relized we hadnt measured the door of the camper yet. Cooler is 20 1/2 wide and I measured door today and its 22" Whew :)
Campers get their appliances installed at the factory as they are being built... In many, if not most, the goddamm refrigerator won't fit out the door even if you disassemble it as much as you can. The last camper fridge replacement job I did required un-skinning the camper, going through the wall with it, and re-skinning the fucking thing!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:00 pm

Oh... and me... today I'm installing another 75 feet of LED rope lighting on the Land Yacht, and working more on the wiring and electrical panel. I hope I make it light up enough to appease the DMV. Last time I was told it was barely adequate and I needed to amp it up, this being the same boat they once asked me to park in front of DMV to demonstrate good lighting!
But hey, I am with the DMV about upping the ante and making sure these mutant rigs are cool and not too half-ass.
If I have to install a medium sized nuclear reactor and pyrotechnics I will.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:10 pm

I wrote to the MFG of a 5th wheel.. The secret was remove one of the rear side windows & frame.. This was not a one man job but did the trick..When they delivered our new side by side they removed doors and draw.. The house has a wheel chair door???

One on site, (smoke damage) We picked the sofa up.. The lady stopped us..She said the sofa was brand new.. That her husband and father spent all day removing the bay window to get it in the house.. My pard. and I picked it up removed the legs and took it out the door.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:43 pm

Glad you'll be able to make the squeeze, Tatonka, and haha unjon... people sometimes overlook the obvious solutions.

We made a morning run to a couple shops and got some supplies. Another bar stool to go with the ones we got last year, a bunch of little wooden sample spoons (like the kind that ice cream cups used to come with when I was a kid), for when we're serving up some tasty things, another gallon of clear-coat, some paint for our van (the graffiti fuckers in the neighborhood have been getting progressively worse, and even went so far as to paint over our plates last night), and a couple more brushes so the people coming over on our camp's painting nights all have the right brushes for the pieces they're painting. This afternoon I broke down and ordered a podbelt utility belt thing from a friend of mine's little company. I'd been wanting to make something for the last couple years, but never seem to find the time and this year's looking like it will be no exception.

Woohoo on the LED rope light upgrade, Captain. That reminds me, I've got to get a bunch of rope light to light up the wall displays on either side of the ziggurat.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:56 pm

Anyone remember the little ice cream cups.. About cone size.. Paper container with the little (sample) spoon sticking out of the lid.. You could eat by spoon or turn it up cone style and the spoon was a handle and lid a drip guard.. Believe they were called Choo choo's or something like.. 1945

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:22 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote: If I have to install a medium sized nuclear reactor and pyrotechnics I will.
Please do.
Thanks
Tattoogoddess -DMV

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:13 am

unjonharley wrote:Anyone remember the little ice cream cups.. About cone size.. Paper container with the little (sample) spoon sticking out of the lid.. You could eat by spoon or turn it up cone style and the spoon was a handle and lid a drip guard.. Believe they were called Choo choo's or something like.. 1945
They still make them! A random stranger with a pushcart gave me a vanilla ice cream/orange sherbet combo cup just like that on the playa in 2001.

I'd just been sword-fighting in a dust storm (you quite literally had to ask the person opposite you "are you red team or blue team?" "Blue!" "THWAK!") . . . and as the storm died, the Ice Cream Man appeared.

. . . It really hit the spot. :)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:18 pm

Picked up my ticket.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:49 pm

Getting the art boxes emptied, so I can fill them. This is more of a chore than I thought. That's a lot of playa dust in my living room.

JasonFL

Post by JasonFL » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:52 pm

I bought a pair of pink camo cargo shorts that seemed playa-appropriate (though admittedly I have no fucking clue what that really means) and a white faux-fur vest from a great consignment store in Lakeland. Also ask another question and got a little further into building my birgin knowledge base.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

~ Hunter S. Thompson

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:56 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Picked up my ticket.
That's always a huge relief.
Were you really at the first BM??

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:29 pm

Antim, I got all excited about wayward art and made a few lovelies for you to adopt out. ((hugs for Antim))
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:42 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Picked up my ticket.
That's always a huge relief.
Were you really at the first BM??
No, I debuted 2002. I was cranky about having to put anything on that line, so I picked the first one. I should have picked 2016, in retrospect...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:58 pm

Hair prep for the playa is very important. I did not want to make a whole new set of dreads or really deal with washing them or my scalp with them in again this year so I cut my hair off today. Rockin a sweet faux hawk now. :) way cooler in the heat! Also should look pretty good playa crusted.

BeeWeeDee

Post by BeeWeeDee » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:16 pm

Busy week really.

Signed for the ticket Monday and ate the atomic fireball

Zebra print pants finished

The tipi cover arrived Tuesday

Got the ladder rack for the truck installed on the truck (for hauling the tipi and poles)

Had a mechanic service and make a check-up on the truck

Started amassing fried crispy bacon in the freezer.

Picked up the 2" foam board to construct a 2'x2'x3' dry ice storage chest.

Finally saw the 50# chunky weight on the bathroom scale drop into the next lowest range

Began amassing drinks and mixers
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:05 pm

Here's the Yacht in dry dock as it sits tonight, this is where I am with the new LED lighting. :)

tatonka

Post by tatonka » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:08 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Here's the Yacht in dry dock as it sits tonight, this is where I am with the new LED lighting. :)

nice :)
-Plato

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Wow, that lighting rocks, Captain!

I think I forgot to mention the other day, I ordered up some stuff for the generator. I was gonna go hit up the local auto parts joint for a spark plug and some oil, but I wanted to upgrade a bit and get a magnetic dipstick as well as a little accessory to make it a bit easier for oil changes. Stuff should be here by the end of next week, I'll do annual maintenance on the generator next weekend.

msj2u
Burning Since: 2003

Post by msj2u » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:09 pm

Hey Captain,

The yacht Is looking awesome!! Good work!!

MSJ
The older I get, the less patience I have for stupid.

I can't be muted

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:50 pm

I've recently been riding the bicycle into town, getting drunk at various bars, hanging out on the pier, making it home in the early a.m., sleeping out on the front porch... By August I ought to be in playa shape.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:19 am

Wow, Cptn, that floats my boat! Kudos.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”